Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 08 Dec 2019, 15:17
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » System
How-to use Porteus aufs kernels on Puppy - updated
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]  
peebee

PostPosted: Tue 30 Jul 2019, 07:29    Post subject:  How-to use Porteus aufs kernels on Puppy - updated
Subject description: cutting edge 32 & 64 bit

There is a very prolific kernel builder called Neko over at Porteus who regularly produces the most recent 32-bit and 64-bit kernels with aufs patches that can be used in pups with a small bit of jiggery-pokery Wink

The downloads are hidden away on Porteus forum page:
https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=6568

Scroll down to the section headed:
Quote:
[Updated kernel Example]
==== AUFS Kernel only for Porteus ====

and then click on a link with ALL or RES or BPLUS in its name - e.g.
32bit-ALL-kernel5.2.4.tar

When it has downloaded click on it to extract 2 files (crippled_sources can be ignored):
vmlinuz & 000-kernel.xzm

Now put those 2 files into a frugal install directory together with the initrd.gz and .sfs files from puppy.

Then the jiggery-pokery - rename the 000-kernel.xzm file to the zdrv sfs name of your puppy and then make a link from the zdrv to 000-kernel.xzm.

The Porteus kernel contains firmware so a separate fdrv will not be needed.

Existing simple Grub4dos boot stanzas can be used unchanged although I guess some puppy boot codes may be ignored....untested.

Screenshots from tests with ScPup 32-bit and UPupDD and kernel 5.2.4 32-bit are attached.

The 2barks sound on initial boot fails to appear because this Porteus kernel does not make /dev/mixer.
Screenshot.png
 Description   
 Filesize   195.29 KB
 Viewed   513 Time(s)

Screenshot.png

Screenshot.png
 Description   
 Filesize   141.21 KB
 Viewed   526 Time(s)

Screenshot.png

Last edited by peebee on Tue 26 Nov 2019, 13:55; edited 3 times in total
peebee

PostPosted: Tue 30 Jul 2019, 08:21    Post subject:  

The RES versions of the kernels also work.........example BionicPup32 with k4.19.62

and 32-bit BusterPup with 64-bit Porteus k5.2.4 .............
Screenshot.png
 Description   
 Filesize   114.58 KB
 Viewed   489 Time(s)

Screenshot.png

Screenshot.png
 Description   
 Filesize   112.29 KB
 Viewed   493 Time(s)

Screenshot.png

davids45

PostPosted: Thu 01 Aug 2019, 00:50    Post subject: First try - 64bit Slacko
Subject description: 5.2.5 kernel in Slacko64-630

G'day peebee,

Having had no luck putting a 5.2.4 kernel of yours into an oldish 64-bit kernel, oldish Slacko64 (my problem is no wifi driver nor workable f_drive found), I've just tried a Porteus 64-bit 5.2.5 in my Slacko64-630.

No immediate problem in booting and then adding my Slacko64 application sfs (first screenshot). My applications so far tested ran Very Happy .

But when I tried to do a hot-backup of the new kernel Pup's save file, it didn't run giving an error message about the home partition being unsuitable. I have not encountered this in all previous Pups, 32 and 64 Confused .

I keep my 64-bit Pups on sdb6 and then I noticed the drive icon for sdb6 showed it mounted (green icon for sdb6 in first screenshot) but not as the home partition. For comparison, the home partition should be a pink or orange icon as per my original kernel Slack64-630 (second screenshot) which does hot-savefile backups.

Any idea about how to fix this odd problem?

Thanks for everything.

David S.
porteus525kernelSlacko630.jpg
 Description   no home partition amongst drive isons - all mounted just green; cause of hot-backup pupsave not running?
 Filesize   86.03 KB
 Viewed   461 Time(s)

porteus525kernelSlacko630.jpg

k4189Slacko64-630-good.jpg
 Description   normal colour for drive icon of home partition (sdb6) - mounted data partitions have green icons
 Filesize   80.64 KB
 Viewed   478 Time(s)

k4189Slacko64-630-good.jpg

nic007

PostPosted: Thu 01 Aug 2019, 03:08    Post subject:  

Is this distro independent and why do you need to make a copy, is that for backup or will a renamed symlink/dummy file work?
peebee

PostPosted: Thu 01 Aug 2019, 06:44    Post subject:  

@davids45 - I've only tried on "recent" woof-ce built pups...see the screenies above

@nic007 - well it seems to work on Slackware, Ubuntu and Debian based pups. A link does work - see post #1.

There are undoubtably some oddities - for instance the 2-barks on initial startup seems to have disappeared - see post #1.....so not 100% perfect.....

Last edited by peebee on Mon 18 Nov 2019, 07:25; edited 1 time in total
davids45

PostPosted: Thu 01 Aug 2019, 19:27    Post subject: 32bit ScPup problems with porteus 5.2.5
Subject description: Home partition status altered, and no shut-down

G'day peebee,

Thanks for your prompt reply re my 'fist try' problem with the 64-bit porteus 525 kernel in the old Slacko64.

I've looked at your screenshots and wonder if they show the same problem I found - the home partition has been changed to a just-mounted partition? Is the top-right corner mini-icon of the drive icon the colour for a home partition (grey?) or a only-mounted partition (green)?

I'm posting now from a 32-bit ScPup-19.06 with the 32-bit porteus 525 kernel.
It initially booted as expected (home-partition icon orange) and allowed my application sfs to load plus minor changes to allow printing and scanning for example.

But somewhere, the home partition switched to 'just-mounted' (icon colour now blue) and the Pup will not close down.
I think this partition change happened without trying to run the hot-puppy-savefile (initially suspected with the 64-bit trial).

Shut-down fails to complete with a message like:
"..../root/Choices/Rox-Filer/sedj01nRp : Read-only file system"
and the only way I've found to restart the computer is the 5-second button push.

I'll try a less new kernel from Porteus (I did see an older one available) and see if this strange problem recurs.

I also should check how these behave without any extras sfs being added.

Thanks for any ideas, and don't get distracted from your important Puppy developments,

David S.
32ScPup1906k525-nohomepartition.jpg
 Description   sda1 icon (home partition for 32-bit Frugals) now permanently showing as 'mounted' not 'home' (restarting after button-hold shut-down needed))
 Filesize   118.84 KB
 Viewed   414 Time(s)

32ScPup1906k525-nohomepartition.jpg

davids45

PostPosted: Fri 02 Aug 2019, 03:11    Post subject: Rox incompatability?  

G'day again,

A little bit more testing this morning with the 32-bit porteus 525 kernel in a ScPup and I think the non-save+non-shutdown problem occurs as soon as the home drive icon is clicked to open it in a Rox window (icon's colour changes from a home partition to just a mounted partition), or the hot-backup-puppysave application is attempted. Before this, Rox windows were openable elsewhere without creating the problem.

I don't know how to attempt a reversion of this un-setting of the home partition.

Nothing else seems affected by this change, except the save-file cannot be backed up, and the computer will not shut-down. Posting from the affected 32-bit ScPup now.

Both 32-bit and 64-bit kernels show this problem so far (only the 5.2.5 porteus kernels tried) with newer Pups.

I have also tried a couple of older 32-bit Pups. Stretch75 and Xenial75, and both did not boot, failing after stating the main Puppy sfs was "done" (yellow text) but followed by multiple lines of coloured text about problems encountered. Another hold-the-button restart needed.

I may try to replace the Rox in one (newer) Pup with an older Rox version to see if there's any different behaviour.

Puzzling.

David S.
peebee

PostPosted: Fri 02 Aug 2019, 03:23    Post subject:  

It could be that some aufs utilities are not included in the Porteus derived zdrv....

screenie shows the contents of sbin in the 2 zdrvs - top Porteus, bottom Puppy

I'll do some tests later.......
Screenshot(1).png
 Description   
 Filesize   116.7 KB
 Viewed   389 Time(s)

Screenshot(1).png

peebee

PostPosted: Sun 25 Aug 2019, 08:23    Post subject:  

FYI..........Kernel 5.3.0-rc5 & LXQt
Screenshot.png
 Description   
 Filesize   6.98 KB
 Viewed   325 Time(s)

Screenshot.png

peebee

PostPosted: Mon 18 Nov 2019, 07:24    Post subject:  

It is possible to use a link rather than copying the kernel file - the 1st post has been updated.

The next LTS version of the kernel is getting closer........

Kernel Release: 5.4.0-rc8-porteus
Build Date: Mon Nov 18 11:25:52 UTC 2019
Build GCC: 9.2.0
OS Support: GNU/Linux
Architecture: i686
SMP Enabled: Yes

recobayu

PostPosted: Tue 26 Nov 2019, 19:22    Post subject:  

Thank you, Peebee for this information.
How do you mean of "Then the jiggery-pokery - rename the 000-kernel.xzm file to the zdrv sfs name of your puppy and then make a link from the zdrv to 000-kernel.xzm."
Quote:
Then the jiggery-pokery - rename the 000-kernel.xzm file to the zdrv sfs name of your puppy and then make a link from the zdrv to 000-kernel.xzm.

Is it make a symbolic link? But I do not see a symlink in the picture of first post.
peebee

PostPosted: Wed 27 Nov 2019, 03:01    Post subject:  

recobayu wrote:
Is it make a symbolic link? But I do not see a symlink in the picture of first post.

Sorry - didn't update screenshots after I changed instructions - yes make a symlink as described.

mistfire

PostPosted: Mon 02 Dec 2019, 02:02    Post subject:  

@peebee later woof-builds can already recognized porteus modules. Just double click the xzm/lzm modules. No need to rename the module. It is a hidden feature of sfs_load
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » System
Jump to: