Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 18 Aug 2019, 09:44
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Firefox Quantum portable with apulse All-in
Page 13 of 13 [193 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 11, 12, 13
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 04 Aug 2019, 06:42    Post subject:  

@ Fred:-

Nice one. The more alternate, easy methods we have for getting browsers out there to folks (and keeping them up-to-date), the better..!

--------------------------------

@ retry3:-

Let me know when you're about, and we'll get this portable FF-ESR onto that little SanDisk stick for you....OK?

Mike. Wink

retry3

PostPosted: Sun 04 Aug 2019, 11:30    Post subject:  

@ Mike

OK - Now ready at this end.

retry3
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 04 Aug 2019, 18:44    Post subject:  

Hi, retry.

Sorry to keep you waiting so long; been having 'issues' at this end, I'm afraid.

Now; rather than try to describe all this to you, step by step, here on the Forum - and risk you possibly making a wrong step, and perhaps mucking things up - I thought it would make far more sense to throw together a wee video, so you can see exactly what's involved.

(It took two attempts to put the video together; the screencaster I was using for the first attempt lost the audio halfway through, so I had another go with a different one.....and folks wonder why I like having several different versions of every kind of app! It allows for cock-ups like this one.......and then I ended up having to upload the same video three times to YouTube, before realising that I didn't appear to be getting audio from any YouTube video... Rolling Eyes So I switched browsers, and everything was behaving itself again.....)

Summat else to 'sort out', is what it looks like. It's just been 'one of those days', y'know?

------------------------------------------

We've got plenty of 'remote-control desktop' apps now available for Puppy, that allow you to take control of somebody else's desktop, and show them how to do things. In fact, Smokey01 recently put together a very lightweight, 'Puppy' version of TeamViewer, called "BackSeatDriver".....but where TeamViewer is nearly 50 MB in size, this is around 2½-3MB, total.....and it even includes Puppy's 'softphone', PSIP, so you can talk to the other person and explain what you're doing as you do it..!

But that's more 'hands-on' than I really want to get for this, as yet.

I'm a believer in helping people to help themselves, and, with a visual demonstration, it's usually sufficient for folks to get some idea of what needs to be done so that they can then experiment for themselves, and in the process perhaps learn something new. So; have a watch of this video, then try it out for yourself.

You shouldn't find it too hard to follow, as I've tried to replicate the same conditions as on your machine. Have a go, see what happens. Take your time; this isn't a race, and nobody's out to try & win prizes here. It's more important that you can take this at your own pace, and to understand what you're doing as you go along.....

You can find the video here, at YouTube:-

FF-ESR_flash_drive_install_video

Let us know how you get on, please, Any problems, give me a shout.

Mike. Wink

retry3

PostPosted: Sun 04 Aug 2019, 21:39    Post subject:  

Hey Mike -

I completely understand "one of those days" situations and oddly enough, that is exactly what I am having also!

I won't burden you with the details, but a medical event without the usual warning signs took me out of action for most of the day. I just now made it back to the computer to get your eagerly awaited advice.

The video is a terrific idea for all the reasons you cite, although not without problems specific to me.

I am starting to study the video now, and I can tell, as you guessed, that it is going to take me quite awhile to absorb it all. The things I learn in the process are what is going to make this a worthwhile and fun thing to do, no matter what the final result is, as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks again for your concern and very considerable efforts in casting advice in a form that is understandable to one of my skill level, I will keep you advised of progress and call for help only after I have tried everything I know.

Kind Regards
retry3
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 05 Aug 2019, 11:42    Post subject:  

Well, I'm starting to get so's I actually enjoy putting tutorials together. Like many before me, I suspect, I've got past the 'newbie' stage of learning my way around Puppy, and I'm more than happy to return the favour to the community (where possible) by helping others in my turn. TBH, it's the community around each distro that really makes it, to my way of thinking.

The difference between my videos and those of most other regular YouTube 'vloggers who cover Puppy, is that I take it to the next level, and cover issues specific to Puppy, rather than simply covering Pup along with a whole raft of other Linux distros. (At least, that's what I try to do....)

If we have to, I'll try guiding you through it remotely.....though I'd far rather you tried to do this by yourself, since it's only by putting theory into practice that we truly 'learn'. And, as with everything, 'practice makes perfect'.....the more you do something, the more comfortable you become with doing it. Remember; this is not a race. There's nothing hanging on the outcome of how quickly you can do this; the important thing is that you take it at your own pace, and most importantly, that you're able to retain what you learn. (I'm already starting to realise that the ability to learn things - and retain knowledge - seems to evaporate, the older you get..!)

I digress. Keep us posted, please!

---------------------

@ fredx181:-

Sorry for 'hijacking' the thread, mate!

Mike. Wink

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Today, at 08:34; edited 1 time in total
fredx181

PostPosted: Mon 05 Aug 2019, 12:08    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:
@ fredx181:-

Sorry for 'hijacking' the thread, mate!

No no, it's great, the additions you make and the help you give (already since the beginning of this thread), btw, I think you really have talent for making tutorials, I saw your video tutorial, great stuff !! Very Happy

Fred

fredx181

PostPosted: Mon 12 Aug 2019, 15:16    Post subject:  

@retry3, are you still alive ?

Fred

retry3

PostPosted: Tue 13 Aug 2019, 13:57    Post subject: Alive  

Hey Fred -

Since I am a nonagenarian, that is a question I ask myself every morning.

Recent medical ,legal, financial and family imperatives have kept me from

getting any further than trying to prepare the USB stick for the installation.

I practiced, and did a dry run with an old small USB stick so I wouldn't be as

likely to make a mistake with the SanDisk, but that's it so far.

Thanks to you and Mike for bearing with me.

retry3
fredx181

PostPosted: Tue 13 Aug 2019, 16:37    Post subject:  

All the best retry3 !!! Take it easy and thanks for showing a sign of life ! Smile

Fred

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Wed 14 Aug 2019, 05:28    Post subject:  

retry3 wrote:
Recent medical ,legal, financial and family imperatives have kept me from
getting any further than trying to prepare the USB stick for the installation.

I practiced, and did a dry run with an old small USB stick so I wouldn't be as
likely to make a mistake with the SanDisk, but that's it so far.
Thanks to you and Mike for bearing with me.

No worries.

Like I told you, this isn't a race. It's more important, from your point of view, that you take things at your own pace, and at the least understand what's going on at the end of the day.

In your own time.... Smile

Mike. Wink

fredx181

PostPosted: Fri 16 Aug 2019, 14:45    Post subject:  

A nice, clean solution to disable frequent updates, presented by forum member Barkin, is to add folder "distribution" to the portable Firefox directory, see info here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1030968#1030968
Download the attachment from Barkin's post: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?mode=attach&id=123672 and extract in the portable Firefox folder.

Fred

retry3

PostPosted: Yesterday, at 23:39    Post subject: Install on USB stick - Sucess  

Hey Mike & Fred -

Success!

The portable FF is now installed and working on the SanDisk and also on another much smaller (2Gb) old USB stick.

I followed the video, and the closed captioning was vital to understanding it. That, with the clear, detailed and very well paced manner of presentation, made it all possible.

The time and effort it took to make the video is impressive.

A heartfelt 'Thank You' from me; and I am sure there are, and will be, many other viewers like me who will feel the same.

I will mention a major problem that I had in the hope that it will help anyone else who runs into it;
When I opened the disk in Gparted, it did NOT show it was empty. It showed 3 files: ' SanDiskSecure Access’, ‘RunSanDiskSecureAccess_win.exe’ and ‘BackUp Your Files to the Cloud.pdf’
Gparted also showed a lock icon on the file system that I did not know how to overcome, menus were grayed out and I figured that maybe the only way to use this was under Windows.

Finally, after several hours over two days, I clicked on the Unmount option that was shown in a dropdown menu under ‘Partition’, and also with a right click. I clicked and the lock icon was gone!

I had thought the Unmount option would unmount the device itself, but now I see that it only meant something less, maybe contents?.

Things went according to the video after that.

I feel I was helped beyond any reasonable expectation, and to me it shows the individuals’ character and the quality of the forum.

Highest Regards,

retry3

[/img]
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Today, at 07:21    Post subject:  

Hey, WELL DONE! Nice to hear you stuck with it.....and I'm glad to hear you found the video useful.

I'm a great believer in visual aids. Myself, personally, I respond more quickly & effectively to any kind of tuition when it's supported by actual demonstrations of what's being discussed. If I have to try and take things in purely from reading about it, I have to try and picture in my mind's eye what's what. And I don't always get it right.....

"Well-paced manner of presentation...." Hah! Y'know, I watch no end of tutorials & other stuff on YouTube, and with some of them, they yap on so fast I have a real problem in understanding half of what they're talking about, sometimes. I hope I come across OK; I'm one of those people who, when listening to any recording of themselves being played back, I, well......I just don't recognise myself, y'know? It simply doesn't sound like me!

----------------------------

With regard to the extra 'items' on the SanDisk drives, sorry; I never thought to mention those. I'm so used to automatically wiping them off when I first format any SanDisk drive, it just didn't occur to me that you might not have come across them before. They're no good to us anyway, since they're coded for Windoze, so you might just as well get rid of them if you don't run it.....

Anyway; glad to hear you're 'sorted'. And remember; you might have had 'help', but you did achieve the end results through your own efforts. That's important, because you've learnt something new in the process.

Mike.

Page 13 of 13 [193 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 11, 12, 13
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to: