Dpup Stretch 7.5 CE (RC-5)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Mike Walsh

#641 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ radky:-

Y'know, I'm absolutely astounded by this thing. It's been running very sweetly on the big old Compaq desktop for the last couple of months.....pretty much as expected, really.

My 'go-anywhere' Puppy up till now has been Slacko 560. Still is, in fact. I decided, however, to add Stretch to the stick; a big one, 128 GB in fact, with a lot of my documents, pictures, music.....and a good selection of movies for when I get bored!

I'm currently 'plugged-in' to ye anciente Dell lappie; an original 1100, P4-powered, from 2002. I'm really astonished; this Pup, with the 'legacy' k4.1.48 kernel, runs very, very well indeed. It even makes the old girl seem brand new again. And that's quite a trick!

Two words. 'Thank you'. Currently in Stretch, and posting from Palemoon-portable.

Cheers!

Mike. :wink:

sheldonisaac

#642 Post by sheldonisaac »

Mike Walsh )in part) wrote:.. It's been running very sweetly on the big old Compaq desktop for the last couple of months.....pretty much as expected, really.
Concur. My activities are small by comparison. I have less zeal than in the past.
I think my latest menu.lst includes 32-bit Xenial, this DpupStretch, and Dingo.
Oh, and Precise Light.
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

radky

#643 Post by radky »

Mike Walsh wrote:Two words. 'Thank you'.
@Mike and sheldonisaac,

Thanks for testing! :)

RC5 will be available later today.
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

radky

#644 Post by radky »

[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

radky

#645 Post by radky »

Due to a processing error earlier today, the following two isos required a correction and are now available for download. See first post.

stretch-7.5-uefi-k4.1.48.iso
stretch-7.5-uefi-k4.19.56.iso

My apologies to those who may have downloaded earlier today.

sheldonisaac

#646 Post by sheldonisaac »

radky (in part) wrote:Due to a processing error earlier today, the following two isos required a correction and are now available for download. See first post.

stretch-7.5-uefi-k4.1.48.iso
stretch-7.5-uefi-k4.19.56.iso
Thanks a lot. I had downloaded the
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 373293056 Jul 7 13:32 /mnt/sdb2/Downloads/stretch-7.5-uefi-k4.19.56.iso
and changed some things, and saved.
drwxr-xr-x 9 root root 4096 Jul 7 16:51 stretchsave-jul7
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 292495360 Jul 7 09:17 puppy_stretch_7.5.sfs
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2648035 Jul 7 09:14 initrd.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 59301888 Jun 30 13:03 zdrv_stretch_7.5.sfs
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 6487680 Jun 30 13:01 vmlinuz
Will the new stretch-7.5-uefi-k4.19.56.iso work with my savefolder?

Thanks again.

Sheldon
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

radky

#647 Post by radky »

sheldonisaac wrote:Will the new stretch-7.5-uefi-k4.19.56.iso work with my savefolder?

Sheldon
Hi Sheldon,

Yes, your savefolder should be fine with the corrected stretch-7.5-uefi-k4.19.56.iso.

Thanks for testing.

mikeslr

#648 Post by mikeslr »

@ sheldonisaac, "Will the new stretch-7.5-uefi-k4.19.56.iso work with my savefolder?".

Running another Puppy, I copied the SaveFile into a protected folder and move the other system files there; then unpacked the ISO into dpup's folder. Booted into dpup. It gave me a moment's freight as booting stopped asking if I wanted to select a resolution, but I pressed "continue" and all was well. [Might not have been exactly that wording as its been a couple of hours; but you'll get the idea]. I have a peculiar monitor; so resolution has to be set, then saved to a SaveFile/Folder.

None of the applications I had installed into the prior iteration duplicated or conflicted with the changes included in the current version.

[Not as I recall with dpup-stretch, but sometimes someone will post about an issue and a fix may have been posted in reply. In such situations, I may have installed the fix. But by the time of the upgrade the Puppy's creator may have also included it or developed a better or conflicting fix. If I just use the SaveFile/Folder from the prior version at best I'll have a duplicate; at worst, a conflict. I can't count on my memory to remember everything which I've done to a Puppy. So I always run Setup>Puppy Package Manager>Uninstall to see what I've installed, and compare it to the Change Log the Dev publishes with an upgrade. I try to do that before transitioning: first backing up the SaveFile/Folder, then removing any duplicate/conflicting applications before booting into the new version using the SaveFile/Folder. That's the safer way as it avoids running conflicting applications. But this time I forgot. So I ran the check after booting into the upgrade].
Last edited by mikeslr on Mon 08 Jul 2019, 17:02, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Walsh

#649 Post by Mike Walsh »

I'll second Mikeslr's appraisal.

From one of the other Pups, I opened up my DPup partition. Having downloaded the new 'legacy'-kernelled RC5, and mounted it, I deleted the appropriate bits from RC4, and copied them across from RC5.

Re-booted, and everything's running as smooth as so much oiled silk. It picked up the existing save-file like nothing had changed. Well done, radky; to me, that's the true mark of a professionally put-together 'upgrade'. The user shouldn't notice any change.

(Best upgrade I've ever seen.....even better than the 'upgrade' I had with Sailor's Slacko 5.7.1, and that was flawless!)

Full marks, mate. Thanks. And the addition of the MagDock screen magnifier is the icing on the cake. I've long used a Windows 'portable app', running under WINE, for this; 'Virtual Screen Magnifier'. It gives the impression of moving a user-defined 'magnifying glass' around the screen, but I've always noticed that whenever I use it, gKrellM 'freezes' - stands still, if you like - until you click it off again.

This app from SFR doesn't do that. I like it, I like it!

Posting from RC5 now. Cheers!

----------------------------------
sheldonisaac wrote:Will the new stretch-7.5-uefi-k4.19.56.iso work with my savefolder?
Sheldon, mate; go for it. You won't have any issues with this at all. Make sure you're using the same kernel version; I've stuck with the k4.1.48 'legacy' version, 'cos that's what I've been using up till now anyway. Easiest method, I found, is as follows (do this from another Pup, obviously):-

1.) Click on the RC5 .iso to mount it in a Rox-filer window;
2.) Open up your DPup partition/sub-directory/whatever in a second ROX-filer window;
3.) Delete all the 'matching' components of the RC5 iso from your RC4 install, then just copy across all the stuff from the RC5 .iso. Don't touch any SFS files you may have, or your save-file/folder.....leave them as they are.
4.) Now, re-boot. Touch wood, you shouldn't notice any difference!

(Goes without saying, do a back-up first, just in case. But I don't think you'll need it...)

Mike. :wink:

Terry H

#650 Post by Terry H »

New manual frugal install of RC5 to internal SSD. I decided that I'd set it up from scratch, making changes to setup as needed, so I created a new save folder.

For my intel 7265 wifi card identified, but using the included iwlwifi-7265D-22.ucode firmware. The included bluetooth firmware was not valid for the 4.19.x kernel, so no bluetooth firmware was loaded.

As there were error messages in dmesg, I included the iwlwifi-7265D-29.ucode firmware and also the relevant version of bluetooth firmware ibt-hw-37.8.10-fw-1.10.3.11.e.bseq. I also included the regulatory.db and regulatory.db.p7s.

All is running very smoothly. Thank you radky and all others who have assisted. This is a great puppy release.

radky

#651 Post by radky »

@mikeslr, Mike Walsh, Terry H,

Thanks for your evaluation and helpful comments! :)

Terry,

If I understand correctly, the optional fdrv.sfs (if loaded) should provide the iwlwifi-7265D-29.ucode firmware and also the relevant version of bluetooth firmware ibt-hw-37.8.10-fw-1.10.3.11.e.bseq required for your PC.

Adding comprehensive firmware to the built-in zdrv.sfs would make it quite large. However, I am open to any suggestions you may have to improve basic firmware included in the zdrv.sfs.

Terry H

#652 Post by Terry H »

radky wrote:@mikeslr, Mike Walsh, Terry H,

Thanks for your evaluation and helpful comments! :)

Terry,

If I understand correctly, the optional fdrv.sfs (if loaded) should provide the iwlwifi-7265D-29.ucode firmware and also the relevant version of bluetooth firmware ibt-hw-37.8.10-fw-1.10.3.11.e.bseq required for your PC.

Adding comprehensive firmware to the built-in zdrv.sfs would make it quite large. However, I am open to any suggestions you may have to improve basic firmware included in the zdrv.sfs.
radky,

My apologies, I should have explained my actions more, as I know that the fdrv is complete and available. I keep a backup of the downloaded firmware. If firmware not included or I have later firmware than the firmware included, I manually load my firmware. I prefer doing that, than using the fdrv.

I know that you adjusted the zdrv firmware for the previous release to give better coverage, so I don't have any expectation that firmware is updated.

Terry H

#653 Post by Terry H »

My initial running was using JWM. I switched to FbBox yesterday and am having an issue with the mapping of the 'up' arrow key when using FbBox, which is really annoying. This does not occur in JWM. When pressed it executes PupSnap, so it can't be used for navigation or in a terminal to cycle through input. The PrtScr key does not execute PupSnap

On an earlier installed version, I had a similar issue with screen prints, but this was not occurring in a clean install, as it is currently doing. A fresh install fixed the issue at the time.

I have checked the rc.xml file and also /usr/local/FbBox/hotkeys-fbbox, but am unable to identify what is causing this issue. The Super_L (Win) + i key combination does work for screen print. Also Ctrl +Shift + s, executes PupSnap as per /usr/local/Pupsnap/hkey-func.

Checking mapping using xev:

Up arrow - keycode 111, (keysym 0xff52, Up)

PrtScr - keycode 107, (keysym 0xff61, Print)

I can't find anything that indicates that the Up arrow produces the same keycode to execute PupSnap.

To check if it is something I introduced I did a clean pfix=ram boot and it is happening from first boot. I tested converting a RC4 Save folder and had same result.

Any assistance in correcting this issue is greatly appreciated.

Laptop is Dell Latitude 3350 Core i5-5200U

radky

#654 Post by radky »

Terry H wrote:I switched to FbBox yesterday and am having an issue with the mapping of the 'up' arrow key when using FbBox...
Terry,

With some kernels it seems the Evdev keybindings for certain keyboards may have mapping issues in the Openbox desktop environment.

For my keyboard, the keybindings are OK in Openbox when I use the k4.1.48 ISO. However, it seems the PrtScr, Up and End key are incorrectly mapped when I use the k4.19.X ISO.

For those who experience keybinding issues with Openbox in Dpup Stretch, the FbBox configuration dialog has an option to quickly remap the PrtScr, Up and End keys. This new setting does not impact the JWM desktop, but it will automatically remap those keys in the Openbox desktop.

Please try the following:

1 - Go to FbPanel configuration -> Plugins tab -> Key Bindings -> select 'true' -> click Apply
2 - Restart X to automatically reset keybindings for the PrtScr, Up and End keys

Terry H

#655 Post by Terry H »

radky wrote: Please try the following:

1 - Go to FbPanel configuration -> Plugins tab -> Key Bindings -> select 'true' -> click Apply
2 - Restart X to automatically reset keybindings for the PrtScr, Up and End keys
Yes, that fixed it. I thought I looked through the fbpanel configuration to see if there was something that was related to key bindings, I clearly missed that option.

Thanks for the assistance.

cthisbear

#656 Post by cthisbear »

Just to confirm in RC 4 Stretch that
Simplecom NW601 Wireless USB works well
with any of 3 Pets.

I retried all previous pets by Perdido that work as I am trying out
Radky's Puppy Buster as well, so I definitely wanted to make sure
of my previous Stretch experience.

I have not downloaded RC5 because of my Frail and Fail internet.

Pets tested were...in RC4 were

rtl8812au-5.1.5_k4.1.48.pet

rtl8812au_rtl8821au-4.3.20_k4.1.48.pet

rtl8812au_rtl8821au-4.3.20_k4.9.96.pet

:::::

In Radky Stretch they all work with my CHEAT xwin restart
method.

To achieve this without rebooting you can install any of the 3 listed Pets
by the wonderful Perdido......

Hit ...Control -Alt - Backspace
together to go to the prompt.

Then type >>>> Xwin and hit >>> Enter
and come back to the desktop.

Only then do you plugg in this model Simplecom
..Do not plug in beforehand or it fails.

All pets want to load the 8812au module in the the Puppy Network managers, however I only use Frisbee instead with success.

In Simple Network setup and the Network Wizard setup the wireless modules can be seen, however once again just try Frisbee as it just works.

Once again all were tested on usb with clean boots for all Simplecom Pet files and again my Cheat no reboot method worked well.

Chris
Attachments
8812au module in Network manager in Stretch.png
Module loaded
(237.46 KiB) Downloaded 220 times

s243a

#657 Post by s243a »

peebee wrote:Hi @Radky

Nice job - looking really consistent and polished ;-)

One thing that is probably inherited from the way that Dpup's have evolved is the dpup-stretch .pet repos and PPM.....

There are currently no dpup-stretch .pet repos on ibiblio....
There is a dpup-stretch .pet repo at:
http://01micko.com/wdlkmpx/puppylinux
however access is denied:
You don't have permission to access /wdlkmpx/puppylinux/ on this server.
and
Packages-puppy-stretch-official
is set to be "LOCAL_ONLY" in DISTRO_PET_REPOS

the end result is that although puppy-stretch is shown as a repo in PPM it has no content

Send me a PM if you think we should try and get the dpup-stretch repo uploaded to ibiblio....

[bit later] another oddity is that some packages (abiword and gnumeric for example) do not appear in the list of built-in packages.... /root/.packages/woof-installed-packages

Cheers
peebee
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 690#974690

I too tried to find these pets in http://01micko.com/wdlkmpx/puppylinux. I was able to find the following petspec list:

http://01micko.com/wdlkmpx/puppylinux/P ... h-official

Code: Select all

busybox-20160414-i686-precise|busybox|20160414-i686-precise||BuildingBlock|916||busybox-20160414-i686-precise.pet||No description provided|ubuntu|precise||
cdrtools-3.02a06-i686-precise-20160317|cdrtools|3.02a06-i686-precise-20160317||BuildingBlock|3484||cdrtools-3.02a06-i686-precise-20160317.pet||No description provided|ubuntu|precise||
eudev-3.2.1-i686-dpup-stretch|eudev|3.2.1-i686-dpup-stretch||BuildingBlock|7232||eudev-3.2.1-i686-dpup-stretch-2.pet||No description provided|debian|stretch||
libpng12-1.2.46-3ubuntu4.2-precise-i386|libpng12|1.2.46-3ubuntu4.2-precise-i386||BuildingBlock|172||libpng12-1.2.46-3ubuntu4.2-precise-i386.pet||No description provided|ubuntu|precise||
pup-volume-monitor-0.15-i686-dpup-stretch|pup-volume-monitor|0.15-i686-dpup-stretch||BuildingBlock|376||pup-volume-monitor-0.15-i686-dpup-stretch-2.pet||No description provided|debian|stretch||
rox-filer-2015.02-i686-precise|rox-filer|2015.02-i686-precise||BuildingBlock|1664||rox-filer-2015.02-i686-precise.pet||No description provided|ubuntu|precise||
xdg_puppy|xdg_puppy|||BuildingBlock|60||xdg_puppy.pet||No description provided|debian|stretch||
zzz_glib-2.50.2-i686-dpup-stretch|zzz_glib|2.50.2-i686-dpup-stretch||BuildingBlock|4600||zzz_glib-2.50.2-i686-dpup-stretch.pet||No description provided|debian|stretch||
zzz_glib_DEV-2.50.2-i686-dpup-stretch|zzz_glib_DEV|2.50.2-i686-dpup-stretch||BuildingBlock|2572||zzz_glib_DEV-2.50.2-i686-dpup-stretch.pet||No description provided|debian|stretch||
Looking at some of the flies that start with Packages on a new-ish puppy I think the 7th field is the relative path in the repo. This field is empty so I'm guessing that if I want cdrtools-3.02a06-i686-precise-20160317 than the path should be something like:

http://01micko.com/wdlkmpx/puppylinux/c ... 160317.pet
http://01micko.com/wdlkmpx/cdrtools-3.0 ... 160317.pet
http://01micko.com/cdrtools-3.02a06-i68 ... 160317.pet

None of which work. I need cdrtools to remaster my tiny_puduan (ascii) because this package contains the mkisofs utility acording to wikipedia and cdrtools is not in the official debian repo.
Find me on [url=https://www.minds.com/ns_tidder]minds[/url] and on [url=https://www.pearltrees.com/s243a/puppy-linux/id12399810]pearltrees[/url].

radky

#658 Post by radky »

cthisbear wrote:
Once again all (of Perdido's Simplecom pets) were tested on usb with clean boots... and again my Cheat no reboot method worked well

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 96#1032596
@cthisbear,

Thanks for confirming your success with the Simplecom NW601 Wireless adapter in Dpup Stretch. :)

radky

#659 Post by radky »

s243a wrote:
I need cdrtools to remaster my tiny_puduan (ascii) because this package contains the mkisofs utility acording to wikipedia and cdrtools is not in the official debian repo.
@s243a,
Please see your PM.

Thanks

WiZard

rox drive id

#660 Post by WiZard »

Hi radky;
I'm happily using rc5, just copied my rc4 save file over and all is well, thanks for that.

One thing I've noticed in all the versions is how rox identifies my home partition. On my system I have 1 hard drive with 2 partitions so the desktop shows icons sda1 and sda2. All my frugal installs are in sda1. When I mount sda1 the rox title bar identifies it as: /initrd/mnt/dev_save . The previous versions of puppy I've used including slacko 6.3, puppy 5.7.1 and lucid 5.28 all identiify sda1 as: /mnt/home which I find much more logical.

Is there a way to change rox's behavior in 7.5 to identify the home partition as: /mnt/home?

thanks

wiz