Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 18 Aug 2019, 08:53
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Studio 13.37 - "Memories"
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]  
l0wt3ch

PostPosted: Sun 21 Jul 2019, 06:47    Post subject:  Studio 13.37 - "Memories"  

I was reading that old linuxmusicians.com thread - the first release of Studio 13.37 seven years ago! Some losers started to attack me and my little distro for no reason, accusing me falsely, etc, and a whole bunch of people from this forum came to my defense! 01micko, puppyluvr, ciento, and others, including GMaq (maker of AVLinux) arrived, and chased away all the bullies lol.

It was awesome. I don't know if you're reading this, but that might be one of the highlights of my whole Internet career. Love you guys, hope you're doing well and your health is good.

You know what's funny? Those jerks on linuxmusicians have done nothing but shoot me down, imply that I'm a con artist, etc. But by giving them a little competition, I have been very influential. Like having a realtime kernel. GMaq, falktx, and the other devs over there used to argue with me endlessly, saying there wasn't an advantage to a realtime kernel anymore, and that's why they didn't include it in ANY Linux audio production distros. Some of them admitted to using it on their own machines, but even they wouldn't admit it was better, because of peer pressure. None of the existing audio distros used a realtime kernel, and it was a vicious forum, so nobody rocked the boat.

The real reason, I think, that the other developers didn't include RT kernels was because they conflicted with their custom-compiled Nvidia drivers. But that doesn't have anything to do with music, or latency. I think they compromised with themselves, in terms of their mission, and just told everybody they didn't need RT kernels because they liked having Nvidia drivers. Which was ironic, considering that (I found this out later) one of the original purposes of AVLinux was to bring back the realtime kernel to Linux audio, after it was dropped from Ubuntu Studio.

After my distro came out, bragging up its realtime kernel, people came to expect it, and GMaq ended up incorporating it into AVLinux. The popularity of realtime kernels in Linux audio distros has increased dramatically, but back then I was the only one.

I think I increased demand for low-latency audio performance in general, and I think I helped popularize kernel hacking in the Puppy Linux community also. I remember when no-one compiled kernels, it was like everybody just left that to Barry! It was rare to see any new kernels, unless there was a new official Puppy release. Now the whole process is automated in Woof-CE, and all kinds of people are experimenting with it. Pretty cool.

There's some other stories I never told you guys, but always wanted to. For instance, before Studio 13.37, when I had rebranded Puppy Studio 3.3 as Studio 4, I attracted an obsessed fan. Like, the kind that Hollywood celebrities often get. He had an idea for a karaoke distro, and desperately wanted me to help him. So, I did my best, taking Studio 4 and adding some GPL karaoke programs and stuff.

Then he totally lost it. Started sending me horrible heartwrenching emails - CC'ed to his ex-wife, the former Premier Bill Vander Zalm, and others - about how the government had discriminated against him as a mentally ill person, and as a man, and had stolen his children. It was tragic, and I felt bad for him, obviously, because I know others who have had their children stolen by the government. But he had somehow caught me up in his mind with this whole thing, and got really demanding, typing in all caps about karaoke, and saying crazy shit. I had to cut ties with that guy. When he tried to buy Studio 13.37, I refunded his money, and didn't send it to him. He seemed crazy enough to show up at my door uninvited.

Around this period in time, I was approached by a disgruntled Murga forum user asking me if I knew how to DDOS a website. I can't remember his name. He knew that I had recently been banned, and so had he. So he hated murga-linux.com, enough to want to take it down with a DDOS attack, and I guess he thought I might be the guy to help him do it.

I said no, sorry. I stay away from illegal hacking knowledge in general. l know all Internet traffic is stored on hard drives and monitored. If I learned how to DDOS a site, the police might think I intended to do it. So I don't even learn about things like that. Anyway, I refused. And I don't think he ever managed to carry out his nefarious plan.

And let's not forget Laser3Dental Studio! Who lifted the Testimonials page from my website word-for-word and changed all the quotes (many from people here on this forum) into dentists. Did I tell you that guy actually wrote me back? I guess he was a customer, and dreamed of making his own distro for dentists, and was using my site as a template.

I wonder if that guy ever actually did it LOL.

Last edited by l0wt3ch on Sun 21 Jul 2019, 10:29; edited 1 time in total
Puppyt

PostPosted: Sun 21 Jul 2019, 09:41    Post subject:    

Rock on, l0wt3ch (v2.0)! I can't comment on the friction I saw at the time - good to see that you have persevered, and that dues were/are being paid for your efforts.
l0wt3ch

PostPosted: Sun 21 Jul 2019, 13:41    Post subject:  

Thanks dude!
l0wt3ch

PostPosted: Mon 22 Jul 2019, 21:22    Post subject:  

Oh ya, and there was the whole newsdebate.org adventure I went on with Aitch. I had this idea way back when to have a website strictly for discussing news articles, as comment sections were being taken down on all the controversial news articles, from my country's state broadcaster and others, so there wasn't really anywhere to comment. So I bought the newsdebate.org domain and made a really cool website that was forum-based with plugins for (Facebook-like) groups, and even video chat. Totally censorship-free.

Anyway, Aitch was the first user, and I brought a few other people over from some of my other activities, and it was going really good! Me and Aitch and the others would post at least daily, and there were some really great discussions.

But then I saw the future. I knew the white supremacists would find the site, and with the no-censorship rule, take over the place. Basically, I foresaw what eventually happened to voat happening to my site, and decided it wasn't worth it.

And Aitch kinda disappeared after that. Sorry Aitch! For pulling the plug.
ciento

PostPosted: Mon 22 Jul 2019, 22:01    Post subject:  

The daisies are doing fine here, much preferring a view
of the blossoms, instead of the roots Wink

I'm looking forward to testing the boundaries of
the latest Studio 1337. There's some new competition,
but most are ubuntu spinoffs, not based on the
Puppy infrastructure, and still believing that
credibilty is enhanced by more gigabytes. Rolling Eyes

I see the remnant of the open-source fanatics still
do polish there sacred cows at times, posting from computers
made from closed closed cawllllOWWWSSSSEEEDDDD
source componants, manufactured in the most secretive
of armed-guard channels, drinking and dining at places
where recipe and formula requests are met with a cleaver-wielding dishwasher,
released from prison for having been too mean,
and then using up all the tatoo ink, to boot. Laughing

But our world is well full of competitors, thieves. and warlords,
bent on taking every advantage. So the utility and educational
benefits of open-source can be lost, and the commercial applications,
provide the paychecks.
Our hours earning money finance the hours when we don't,
and I'm thankful that projects like the Studio survive,
and get better.

Sad that people battle over straws with those whom
there is much in common with, rather than building foundations
and promoting excellence, among those who would benefit
from a few good night's sleep, not fearing the latest
OS forcing an update capable of taking down a system
that took many hours to tame and craft.

People often ridicule what they fear, or fail to understand.
For people with computer woes, we can clarify the alternatives.
Not an easy task in markets both saturated with industry standards,
and lulled to sleep by the failing dogma of
choosing between 0Sex and windoze. Not easy,
but nothing worth the effort ever is.
Cheers
l0wt3ch

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jul 2019, 01:21    Post subject:  

My first experiences with Linux were on the original Xbox. I was a poor university student, and was required to turn in my homework online, and couldn't afford a computer. I had an Xbox, and Xbox Linux came up in a Microsoft search. I was like, "Really? My Xbox is just a regular pc, and I can use it to email, surf the web, and for word processing?" I was amazed.

I actually had 3 different kinds of Linux on my Xbox - Ed's Debian, Damn Small Linux, and GentooX. GentooX was made by a guy called ShALLaX. His enthusiasm and hacker style were infectious, and he was brilliant. He got kicked out of the Gentoo developers group because of "Magic", his Windows-update style automated update system, because it wasn't the "Gentoo way". He used to give me tech support: "Hey ShALLaX, I was using your CMOS flashing program, but I chose the wrong option and it won't boot anymore!" "You're going to have to SSH in with PuTTY!" "But I don't know how to use PuTTY." "Fucking learn!", ShALLaX would say. He always seemed really busy and proud of his skills. But his distro was the best.

I touched base with ShALLaX years later. I was surprised when he said he didn't use Linux anymore, preferring a Mac. "Right tool for the job", he said. He's got a real tech job, and a really nice house and car. But he didn't use Linux anymore. I felt like I had lost one of my heroes.

I bought a real PC, and installed Debian Woody. It was a lot of work, because Debian was almost impossible to install back then. I knew professional engineers who had tried switching to Linux, but just couldn't get Debian to install. It made me happy to be one of the few that had managed it. At school, I wrote papers comparing various distros, and ideas like "network effects". My professors were pretty impressed.

Back then, there were a lot of companies trying to profit from Linux, it wasn't just Red Hat. There was Corel Linux, which was Debian, with a Corel background. And there was Libranet, which was also Debian. Libranet was supposed to be easy to install. Their business model was to sell their latest version for $65, and give away the old version for free. (I basically stole Libranet's failed business model and made it my own, without inflation.) I wanted the new Libranet so bad. I didn't want the old version. But I also didn't have the money.

Of course I had a whole stack of Linux cds, and I tried Puppy when it first came out. I showed my programmer roommate - "Look, it ejects the cd after it boots! The whole thing is in RAM!" There were no pet packages back then though, you had to compile all your apps from scratch. OpenOffice took like three days to compile. I liked Puppy, but I mostly stuck with Debian.

It was only when I heard about Lucid Puppy that I really got into it. Building Puppy with Ubuntu packages, so it's compatible with all of Ubuntu's packages, but with Puppy's speed - it was brilliant.

Last edited by l0wt3ch on Wed 24 Jul 2019, 20:14; edited 3 times in total
cthisbear

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jul 2019, 01:43    Post subject:  

" I felt like I had lost one of my heroes. "

A policy of Ray Davies of the Kinks.

Chris.
l0wt3ch

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jul 2019, 01:53    Post subject:  

I really like "Arthur or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire" by the Kinks. And "Powerman", and "the Village Green Preservation Society". And "Muswell Hillbillies". Smile
ciento

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jul 2019, 14:30    Post subject:  

I still have my boxed sets, Caldera, Corel, Suse 7.6,
Mandrake, came with books, while Redhat and Debian 2.1
were CDs pocketed in with huge doorstop manuals.
Barnes & Noble and Borders book stores
kept the knowledge available, and soon the Linux Format
and other dvd-bearing magazines brought distro-hopping
and tutorials to the dial-up masses. I think there were 6
genral linux magazines with dvds last time I shopped, and a
bunch of one-offs focussed on ubuntu's.

I mainly look at the pictures Sad
puppyluvr

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jul 2019, 21:00    Post subject:  

Very Happy Hello,
Ironically our relationship started out much more negative. Lol...
You had made rather disparaging comments about the work of a another Puppy developer, which I included on the first MultiPup CD...
I believe I said something to the effect of:
" pride in your own work does not have to lead to criticism of others, we are all doing the best we can, for free"

That said, since then, I have been a staunch supporter of your work...
It's a good product, it does what it says it will, generally out of the box.
The interface is nice, and intuitive.

You talk big, but you back it up!

Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...
l0wt3ch

PostPosted: Wed 24 Jul 2019, 19:29    Post subject:  

Russoodle's Server

When I first joined this forum with my idea to build a pro-quality audio recording distro on top of Lucid Puppy, Russoodle thought it was a cool idea and gave me hosting on her web server right then, I think that same day. Her generosity with her server space was a real encouragement, I was blown away by the hospitality and kindness of the Puppy Linux community.

When I made Studio 13.37 a "product", instead of paying for hosting space for my isos, I gave the money to Russoodle for her server. So I was actually the one paying to host all of your isos for a while there, behind the scenes.

I made her promise to keep it a secret; she said she wouldn't tell anyone - wouldn't want to hurt my "bad boy" reputation. I had a really good job at the time, and could afford to throw money around like that.

My security system on Russoodle's server was thus: I had fifty folders, and 49 were empty, but one contained another fifty folders. 49 of those were empty, but one held another fifty folders. And so forth, over and over. I figured most people wouldn't take the trouble to sort through all of the folders to find my iso. "Security through laziness."

When Russoodle took her server down, Ally took my fifty folders and all my isos, and uploaded everything to the Internet Archive. I PM'ed Ally - I was like "Dude, I don't care about the older versions, but one of the isos you uploaded is the new one I'm trying to sell! Can you take it down?" (I don't remember my exact words.) Ally was like, "You can't tell me what to do!" So I emailed archive.org, and they took all the isos down. No hard feelings against Ally; it was probably an accident.

It's funny how things go sometimes. Very Happy

Last edited by l0wt3ch on Wed 24 Jul 2019, 20:37; edited 2 times in total
l0wt3ch

PostPosted: Wed 24 Jul 2019, 20:30    Post subject:  

ciento wrote:
I still have my boxed sets, Caldera, Corel, Suse 7.6,
Mandrake, came with books, while Redhat and Debian 2.1

I wish I had kept all of those old isos. Any kind of old stuff would be cool. Basically the only old items I own are a photo album and a TI-83 calculator.

puppyluvr wrote:
You had made rather disparaging comments about the work of a another Puppy developer, which I included on the first MultiPup CD...

Ya, well, that was... kind of a weird argument. I normally wouldn't have dissed him or his distro, but I was defending myself against multiple people. Anyway, that was like a decade ago.
puppyluvr

PostPosted: Mon 29 Jul 2019, 22:35    Post subject:  

Very Happy Hello,
True, and for that decade I've had your back.
Your work is impeccable....
And I'm not afraid to say so...

Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...
geo_c

PostPosted: Tue 13 Aug 2019, 22:13    Post subject: Just fired up 1337 v3 on all my computers!  

Hi l0wt3ch!

I'm using 1337 v3 right now, hooked up to my hi-fidelity living room system, and I'm cataloging lots of multi-track recordings with Ardor. It runs great on a simple intel dual core with 2mb of ram. This Toshiba came with winXP, that's how old it is.

Studio 1337 is a heck of a system. I have it on 4 laptops, 4 USB sticks, and 2 USB hard drives. All of them dual boot with Bionic Pup, just so I can do web based work with a much smaller ram footprint.

thanks for thinking outside the box.
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: