Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 18 Aug 2019, 08:51
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Disable GTK "recently used files"
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [26 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
MochiMoppel

PostPosted: Fri 09 Aug 2019, 03:30    Post subject:  

B.K. Johnson wrote:
As implemented in upupbb, it seems to record/show only "written/saved" files.

After some more research I can say that I find this claim highly unlikely.
I can't test upupbb but would appreciate if someone can shed light on what upupbb is doing.
musher0

PostPosted: Fri 09 Aug 2019, 05:54    Post subject:  

I'm in jrb's upupBB-light right now, and all entries in the recently-used.xbel file have the
usual three time-stamps: added, modified, visited.

I was born to love and not to hate. (Sophocles)
MochiMoppel

PostPosted: Fri 09 Aug 2019, 06:19    Post subject:  

Sure, but as far as I understand B.K.Johnson upupbb displays a menu based on this file, and this menu contains only files that were recently saved but not those which were merely opened.
AFAIK the timestamps recorded in the recently-used.xbel file are not sufficient to make this distinction.
musher0

PostPosted: Fri 09 Aug 2019, 15:15    Post subject:  

That menu could be reprogrammed to make such distinctions, yes?
MochiMoppel

PostPosted: Fri 09 Aug 2019, 19:51    Post subject:  

Yes, but if B.K. Johnson's guess could be verified then there would be no need to reprogram anything, right?
musher0

PostPosted: Fri 09 Aug 2019, 23:46    Post subject:  

MochiMoppel wrote:
Yes, but if B.K. Johnson's guess could be verified then there would be no need to reprogram anything, right?
Fine! Where's the code? Smile BKJ?
8Geee

PostPosted: Sat 10 Aug 2019, 19:25    Post subject:  

Running Slacko5.7 for 4 years, I can tell that mplayer must be using this file as a recent-viewed file-list (history). In fact playing anything audio/video through mplayer gets logged in the xbel file. So, IMHO, the file is necessary for at least mplayer, and may be tapped by other programs. I think Geany also taps into this file for updated/changed files/coding when using Geany to do so. This includes downloads, symlinks, etc. that other programs use.

WARNING: if you have done an OS download (including security update to OS or browser), or modified any OS file including symlink, DO NOT erase the xbel file until a full shutdown or reboot occurs. In fact its customary to do at least a reboot when doing OS or browser changes. AFTER the reboot, the xbel file can be erased. There seems to be flags involved.

Thats why I recommend erasure of contents over elimination of file. Your opinions may vary.

For those who woulld like to experiment:
1.) open Geany
2.) open recently-used.xbel using Geany
3.) find and open the CUPS error_log (might be /var/log/cups) using Geany
4. Delete the contents of both files (select-all then backspace) and save.
5.) DO NOT CLOSE THE TABS, close Geany instead.

Regards
8Geee

Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."
B.K. Johnson

PostPosted: Tue 13 Aug 2019, 18:56    Post subject:  

I was away and although I did drop in and read the threads, any comments would have been incomplete and not verifiable. I am back and will address MM's last post and hopefully also answer some other questions.

Mochi wrote:
Quote:
Sure, but as far as I understand B.K.Johnson upupbb displays a menu based on this file, and this menu contains only files that were recently saved but not those which were merely opened.
AFAIK the timestamps recorded in the recently-used.xbel file are not sufficient to make this distinction.

Let me clarify some points.
I have neither. looked for nor seen the code in upupbb. I assume it is based on MM's code because of its similarity in name and operation. However, I have posited to peebee via PM that MM's post is the source of his implementation and he has neither denied nor confirmed if it is so.
I have stated in the upupbb thread that I had eventfully got a working Recently Used (RU) in upupbb. Working in the sense that the display hung from the right and had sufficient space to easily accommodate pathnames exceeding 100 characters. Subsequently, the display unexpectedly reverted to hanging from the left and I could no longer see the files listed. It seems there is a conflict with an application I use or some action I take that results in the switch. I inadvertently saved a session when the display was bad and now RU is useless on that flash drive.
I can't/won't argue with MM whether or not it is possible for the files displayed in upupbb's RU are "opened" and/or "saved". What I can say is that while I was able to see upupbb's RU, I do not remember opening a file and seeing it added to the RU list, but I most certainly saw the addition when I saved a file. Note that 90% of my files are html so Firefox, SeaMonkey and Composer would be the tools I would have likely used.

Later
As explained, I can no longer see the filelist in upupbb. I booted an installation of an earlier version of upupbb specifically to (a) check the orientation (right or left hanging) and (b) verify if both "opened" and "saved" files were shown in the display. On checking PupSysinfo just now, it shows System Uptime: 0d 5h 5m. RU has been rock solid during the period. This early version of upupbb running on a Kingston flash has not once switched to a left-hand display.

The table below shows how certain file types running in particular applications are recorded/shown or not in the display. This is a random selection of file types and applications determined by what resided on the system. For example, I was unable to test whether the opening of .doc and .docx files would be recorded because I did not have LibreOffice installed on this system.
Condition Recordrd Y/N
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
html file opened with firefox..................................No
html file opened with seamonkey...........................No
html file opened with composer.............................No
html file saved with composer...............................Yes
html file opened with leafpad................................No
txt, script file opened with leafpad........................No
txt, script file opened with geany...........................Yes
graphics files opened with Viewnoir, mtpaint........No
mp3 file opened and played in mhWaveEdit.........No
pdf file opened in evince.......................................Yes
mp3 file opened and played in Gnome MPlayer....Yes
mp4 file opened and played in Gnome MPlayer....Yes

I am guessing that the intermittent switching could be a result of the flash drive used. The stable version of upupbb is running on a Kingston flash drive while the problematic upupbb is running on a cheaper flash drive. The problem could be related to the quality of the flash drive.

tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM

musher0

PostPosted: Tue 13 Aug 2019, 20:53    Post subject:  

Hi BKJ.

Thanks for the additional information.

I know for a fact the recently-used.xbel file does not monitor the html files opened with
browsers. In particular, the mozilla family browsers have their own history file, which is
very complete. E.g. : places.sqlite.

xbel will however list a file or archive downloaded by a browser.

As to leafpad and mhWaveEdit, I don't really know why they are not monitored by the
xbel process. Why list a musical piece played through mplayer and not through
mhWaveEdit? Perhaps these apps are considered as not important enough by the
xbel process?

IHTH

MochiMoppel

PostPosted: Wed 14 Aug 2019, 01:26    Post subject:  

B.K. Johnson wrote:
I am back and will address MM's last post and hopefully also answer some other questions..
Welcome back. You raised new questions and I sent you a PM, so we hopefully can sort out the confusion and mysteries and come back here with a solution. I realize that we have successfully derailed this thread but maybe we can provide some hints why not to disable GTK "recently used files" Wink

musher0 wrote:
I know for a fact the recently-used.xbel file does not monitor the html files opened with browsers
Don't confuse opening a website with opening a local HTML file. The latter apparently is what BKJ is talking about, and in this case browsers do register the opened file in xbel. However in my experience this works only 100% when the HTML file is opened via the browser's File-Open menu. Drag/dropping a HTML file into a browser window or double clicking a HTML file in ROX may not work.

musher0 wrote:
In particular, the mozilla family browsers have their own history file
History of visited sites. Completely different subject.

musher0 wrote:
As to leafpad and mhWaveEdit, I don't really know why they are not monitored by the
xbel process
Leafpad does write to xbel, and so does mhWaveEdit , but only when file is opened via File-Open. Additional conditions apply.
mhWaveEdit also writes when saving file.
peebee

PostPosted: Thu 15 Aug 2019, 07:07    Post subject:  

see:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1034412#1034412

Page 2 of 2 [26 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to: