Testers Wanted: FirstRib default WeeDog Linux build system

Using applications, configuring, problems
mikeslr

Testers Wanted: FirstRib default WeeDog Linux build system

#1 Post by mikeslr »

If you haven't been following wiak's exciting developments, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 56#1028956, it's reached the stage where, per wiak

"I'm looking forwards to someone producing a firstrib00.plug (or othername.plug) that contains packages and config code to build a nice polished X desktop... :wink:

I would suggest to anyone who has been reading this thread not to be put off by the technical nature of some of the discussions here. The system is extremely simply to build and use (really just the matter of running the two small build scripts, per the quick instructions in the first post of this thread) and most anyone on this forum should find it very simple to do and you may well even find working with WeeDog/Void useful and help you better understand/quickly-learn Linux distro/system operation more generally. For full X-desktop-build help it becomes simply a matter of asking once you have WeeDog booting successfully to the commandline. I'm sure the current testers could confirm that Void Linux xbps use provides WeeDog with an extremely powerful package manager with excellent and continually up-to-date package repositories."

Edited after rufwoof's post: For reasons unknown I awoke in the middle of the night thinking about an article I recently read regarding how the Democrats with William Jennings Bryan as candidate managed to loose the election of 1896. Within 18 years all his alleged "radical" platforms --two generations in the making-- became the standard, except for his 'most radical' "Gold + Silver as the basis for the total amount of allowed currency" which was then superceeded by the even more radical idea: a user-defined relationship of the total currency to the amount of gold available -- which, except for semantics, is what we've actually used ever since. Applying this to our current situation --the idiocy of Trump as President and the idiocy of leading Democratic Candidates ignoring both that 270 electoral college votes are needed to win and that proposing seemingly radical ideas --counter-revolutionary would be a better description-- which at first blush run counter to the interests those whose votes they would need, without explaining in detail why those ideas are neither 'radical' nor contrary to their constituency's interests-- I tossed and turned. And decided it was best to find a simpler problem to think about. So I got up, made a cup of herbal tea, turn on the computer, browsed to wiak's thread and tried to do something useful. But, not yet working on all cylinders, I failed to write: This Post is merely to attract a wider audience. Do not post here. Post any information to wiak's thread.
Last edited by mikeslr on Thu 15 Aug 2019, 17:18, edited 5 times in total.

rufwoof

#2 Post by rufwoof »

Downloaded build_firstrib_initramfs04_s100.sh.tar and (as I'm running a 64 bit machine) build_firstrib_rootfs_x86_64_008.sh.tar from the links in http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 56#1028956

As I'm booting using grub4dos I created a /TST folder on HDD and moved those two files to there, renaming them without the .tar suffix. Set both to be executable (chmod +x build*)

Created a firstrib00.plug file in the same folder, with content ...

Code: Select all

xbps-install -y linux4.19 base-system shadow

# Root password
pwconv
grpconv
echo -e "root\nroot" | passwd >/dev/null 2>&1 

# Network (wireless where ifconfig shows my device as wlp2s0)
echo "network={" >>/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
echo "  ssid=\"VM123456-2G\"" >>/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
echo "  psk=\"abc123\"" >>/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
echo "}" >>/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

# Prepare a /root/connect script we can run to network connect
echo "wpa_supplicant -i wlp2s0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf -B" >/root/connect
echo "dhcpcd" >>/root/connect
echo "pulseaudio --start" >>/root/connect
chmod +x /root/connect

# Prepare a /installX script that we can run once we've booted voidlinux and net connected
echo "xbps-install -y xorg xinit xbitmaps terminus-font squashfs-tools alsa-utils pulseaudio pavucontrol jwm chromium tilda mtpaint mc" >>/installX
echo "echo \"tilda &\" >/root/.xinitrc" >>/installX
echo "echo \"pavucontrol &\" >>/root/.xinitrc" >>/installX
echo "echo \"chromium --no-sandbox &\" >>/root/.xinitrc" >>/installX
echo "echo \"exec jwm\" >>/root/.xinitrc" >>/installX
chmod +x /installX
Edited my grub4dos menu.lst entry to add ...

Code: Select all

title FirstRib (Void Linux Flavour)
   root (hd0,0)
   kernel /TST/vmlinuz-4.19.66_1 usbwait=12 bootfrom=/mnt/sda1/TST video=640x400
   initrd /TST/initramfs04.gz
Ran the build...rootfs ... script, then ran the build...initramfs... script with kernel=void parameter. ... and then booted that.

The above .plug file creates a /root/connect file that network connects my wifi. So after booting and logging in as root (password root) I run that script. Wait a few seconds to give the daemon time to connect and then ping google.com to make sure the network is running OK. That's for my specific wifi device that running ifconfig shows as wlp2s0 and for my specific ssid and password (I've changed the actual values in the above).

Once network connection is up and running, I run the /installX script that the above .plug file also creates. Which takes a while because this is all a pretty heavy/full voidlinux install type setup. Once that completes, run startx ... and X loads with tilda terminal, pavucontrol (pulseaudio) and chromium already opened.

On subsequent reboots I just have to run the /root/connect script to net connect and then startx.

As this is a larger install/version, you can use the "shutdown -r now" type shutdown/reboot commands.

Yet to do : create a .Xdefaults with Xft.dpi: 144 as I prefer that dpi, and set it up for my UK locale/keyboard. Rather than video=640x400 being included in menu.lst I prefer to remove that and load ter-i28b console font (sharper).

I did do one run where .plug included installation of xorg, chromium ...etc. straight off, but that resulted in a .sfs file of nearly 1GB that wouldn't boot. Separating it out to only build a base system .sfs and then install xorg/chromium ...etc. after having booted that, so its stored in the 'save' area, gets around that issue.

Typically with tilda I'll click on it to activate the window, and the F11 to full screen resize it. Thereafter F1 toggles show/hide of that window. So for instance if I close chromium and want to open it again I F1 to activate tilda, type in chromium --no-sandbox & and press enter.

jwm is the default /etc/system.jwmrc based version/format, and no menu icon shows for that. If you mouse right down into the bottom left corner and click however the menu is there.

chromium playing a youtube video and sound/displays fine. Installing htop (F1 to activate/show tilda and "xbps-install htop" ... and then running htop shows around 400MB of ram usage.

For mc (file manager and text editor) I prefer it if tilda is set to Linux Console colours (right click within a tilda window and select the preferences option and then select the colours tab). I also prefer mc's gotar theme (in mc, Options, Appearance ... and select the gotar skin).

Currently at the time of posting this I'm installing the libre office meta package (xbps-install libreoffice) EDIT : done. F1 to tilda and running soffice & ... and its started up OK. Opening a spreadsheet and that's also started up OK.

EDIT:

For uk keyboard layout under X .... setxkbmap -layout gb
For uk keyboards at console loadkeys uk
For bash instead of sh ... edit /etc/password and change the root: line from /bin/sh to /bin/bash
For a nicer (IMO) font at the console edit /etc/rc.conf to have a entry of FONT=ter-i28b (assumes terminus-font has been installed). If you set grub4dos menu.lst to have a video=640x400 kernel boot parameter then remove that.
Whilst you're editing rc.conf also edit (for UK)
TIMEZONE="Europe/London"
KEYMAP="uk"
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

rufwoof

Re: Testers Wanted: FirstRib default WeeDog Linux build system

#3 Post by rufwoof »

mikeslr wrote:For reasons unknown I awoke in the middle of the night thinking about an article I recently read regarding how the Democrats with William Jennings Bryan as candidate managed to loose the election of 1896. Within 12 years all his "radical" platforms --two generations in the making-- became the standard, except for his 'most radical' "Gold + Silver as the basis for the total amount of allowed currency" which was then superceded by the even more radical idea: a user-defined relationship of the total currency to the amount of gold available -- which, except for semantics, is what we've actually used ever since.
In the UK, Issac Newton was appointed 'Master of the Mint' (chancellor of exchequer) back in 1696 and around that time he fixed the Pound to gold value, where it remained for the next few centuries. You could convert Pounds to gold and vice-versa at a fixed rate i.e. money was actually backed by something physical (gold) and of finite limit.

During the 1900's that started breaking down, until finally President Nixon as a means to pay down the cost of the Vietnam war broke the link entirely. Nowadays money is backed by nothing, is just a figure. Each new note/coin brought into existence in effect devalues all other notes/coins in circulation. A form of legal counterfeiting. Which induces inflation. But also provides a correlation with population expansion (in a world of 100 people, 100 pounds in circulation = 1 pound each, in a world of 1,000,000 one million pounds in circulation = 1 pound each).

The Pound dates back to 750's, when it represented a Pound weight of silver. In the absence of calculators a base 12 was convenient for its sub-division (1*12, 2*6, 3*4, 4*3, 6*2).

Today the UK Sovereign gold coin still is a legal tender coin of one pound value, not that you're likely to get any in your loose change as the gold value is much higher. The Britannia (1 ounce gold coin) has a better legal tender value of £100.
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

rockedge

#4 Post by rockedge »

I will have several variants of firstribXX.plug files finished soon. The desktops I have been creating for WeeDog mostly are using JWM and ROX --pinboard

I have excellent results building WeeDog and setting up a simple desktop which is similar to Puppy Linux since I have been borrowing JWM config files and how they work from Puppy Linux (Bionic32 and Bionic64) and using them as a base for my individual setups)

Also have remote X10 wireless motion detectors communicating with a CM19a usb transceiver connected to the WeeDog machine. WeeDog recognizes the CM19a and after removing the ati_remote kernel module (modprope -r ati_remote) the device is driven by a python language driver which is polled by a PERL script daemon for X10 messages from the motion detectors which will via sockets send through zmtrigger.pl Alarm ON and OFF commands to ZoneMinder.
included running as well is zmeventnotification server which sends PUSH notifications to mobile devices through zmNinja and can hook neural network object detection / recognition..including the ability to identify a detected person by name from a photograph and license plate recognition is also possible.

So at the moment since I have to compile zoneminder from source for WeeDog and also am running gcc cmake git squashfs-tools and the PERL modules needed for a successful build.

at some point I would like to present a step by step set of instructions for others interested in a security camera / network video recorder that runs stable and is compact as it goes by using WeeDog

the desktop recipes will probably be a JWM + ROX combination for a start
Attachments
2019-08-15-153904_600px.png
(103.17 KiB) Downloaded 275 times

wiak

#5 Post by wiak »

@rufwoof and rockedge:

I have inserted links to your test/progress reports in first post main thread Quick install notes.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 56#1028956

Regarding rufwoof's firstrib00.plug above, for those interested, the packages the large Void template base-system installs can be seen under 'depends' at following link:

https://github.com/void-linux/void-pack ... m/template

Many thanks. And thanks also to mikeslr for the announcement. I couldn't figure out if it was you or rufwoof who was having the troubled dreams though ;-)

wiak
Last edited by wiak on Fri 16 Aug 2019, 02:59, edited 1 time in total.

mikeslr

#6 Post by mikeslr »

wiak wrote:... mikeslr... I couldn't figure out if it was you or rufwoof who was having the troubled dreams though ;-) wiak
Wake up, wiak. You're having a bad dream. :lol:

wiak

#7 Post by wiak »

mikeslr wrote:
wiak wrote:... mikeslr... I couldn't figure out if it was you or rufwoof who was having the troubled dreams though ;-) wiak
Wake up, wiak. You're having a bad dream. :lol:
My fear then becomes that I have in fact only dreamt that I wrote FirstRib scripts but that in reality they do not actually exist. My hope then becomes that during my dream I started to sleepwalk and even went as far as physically typing out the FirstRib scripts I was reading in my dream and posted them to my email account. Oddly, I note, in now looking at my email account, that I have indeed posted copies of FirstRib scripts there, but I'm afraid now to open them in case they just say "echo hello world".

wiak

wiak

#8 Post by wiak »

posted to other thread

mikeslr

Just to further encourage Testers

#9 Post by mikeslr »

rockedge "...it takes me a few minutes to set up the systems!...
then again it only takes minutes to run the scripts and have a working system and with a few more minutes it is quite easy to modify the OS into many desktop forms and shapes and as how complex or simple as one desires." http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 77#1034577

Again, Don't post here. Post any information to the FirstRib thread.

rockedge

#10 Post by rockedge »

OK