DevuanDog 'beowulf' build system

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
dancytron

#41 Post by dancytron »

fredx181 wrote:
dancytron wrote:I've been trying to build a minimal as possible pure openbox version with ceres64 and I can't get it to build without mesa-dri being included.

Do I have something that depends on mesa-dri or is it something else?

Live system built on x86_64 for amd64 on Tue May 21 20:36:52 CDT 2019
Preinstalled on top of debootstrap build:
live-boot wget menu dialog apt-utils dbus ca-certificates apt-transport-https xserver-xorg-legacy

Base Install:
wget net-tools ifupdown wireless-tools sysvinit-core xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg psmisc fuse x11-xserver-utils dbus-x11 busybox sudo mawk xinit xterm pciutils usbutils file rsync dosfstools volumeicon-alsa alsa-utils pm-utils xdotool wmctrl desktop-file-utils mime-support squashfs-tools fakeroot xserver-xorg-input-evdev pv ntfs-3g

Base Dog Packages Install:
yad gtkdialog obshutdown pup-volume-monitor peasywifi chpupsocket edit-sfs-pcmanfm filemnt-pcmanfm remaster-scripts quick-remaster apt2sfs sfsload fixdepinstall greybird-theme-dd-stretch makedebpackage peasyclock

Applications Install:
leafpad viewnior pfind

Desktop Environment Packages:
openbox=3.6.1-4.3 obconf pcmanfm lxpanel lxrandr lxinput lxappearance

Firmware:

Extra Dog Packages:
unrar dirmngr lxterminal gdmap

Remove xserver-xorg-video-vmware=TRUE
Yes, noticed that also, it looks like that mesa-dri is (sort of) part of the core now, don't know which package(s) depend on it.

EDIT: Found out now, xorg depends on libgl1-mesa-dri, so can only be uninstalled if running without X.

Code: Select all

root@live:~# apt-cache rdepends --installed libgl1-mesa-dri
libgl1-mesa-dri
Reverse Depends:
  xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
  xserver-xorg-core
  xserver-xorg-core
  libglx-mesa0
  xserver-xorg
Fred
Well, it is unstable. :)

I think that is going to break it for some computers.

For me, it is broken unless I install the intel drivers, then it loads x with mesa. Other Dogs will load x with vesa with no mesa-dri, but will not load x with mesa dri and no intel drivers.

If I had a computer that I had to run on vesa, then it wouldn't work.

dancytron

#42 Post by dancytron »

The mklive-beowulf script fails with the messages below. I tried it twice and internet connection seemed fine.
Download linux-image-4.19.0-4-amd64
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package linux-image-4.19.0-4-amd64
E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'linux-image-4.19.0-4-amd64'
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'linux-image-4.19.0-4-amd64'
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package linux-image-4.19.0-4-amd64
E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'linux-image-4.19.0-4-amd64'
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'linux-image-4.19.0-4-amd64'
FAILED
Unmounting mount binds in chroot

fredx181

#43 Post by fredx181 »

Thanks for info Dan !
That's bad about the mesa/vesa issue you mention (not only with 'unstable', same problem for beowulf), hopefully the Debian maintainers will change things to how it was (but I doubt it because beowulf/buster is very near to become the 'stable' branch).
I've found some more issues btw, e.g. the 'ceres' branch apparently doesn't exist anymore (getting error from apt-get update) (probably should be named 'unstable' now from sources.list) and about the kernel: the previous version (=4.19.0-4) is always removed from testing (beowulf) and unstable Debian repository when there's a new version (=4.19.0-5) , so need to find a diiferent way to handle this in the build script.

All together, I think better to put this project on hold now until I found out how to solve these problems.
Announced that at first post and will get back about it later.

Fred

fredx181

#44 Post by fredx181 »

*** Updated mklive-beowulf and mklive-ceres ***

See for info Changes and fixes
Download links at first post replaced with new versions.

The issue that @dancytron mentioned Here I don't know how to solve, any suggestions are very welcome.

Fred

zagreb999

#45 Post by zagreb999 »

fred:
Yes, it's possible, but I don't do Debian anymore because full systemd integration cannot be avoided nowadays (for buster and sid)

suggestion: antix is pure debian no systemd

it could be done mklive script with antix linux instead of debian...

regards

johnrpm

#46 Post by johnrpm »

I have just tried the beowulf build system on a frugal install of beowulf, just wanted to say a big thank you to fredx181 for all his hard work, it is a pleasure to watch the script do its magic and produce the iso, normally far beyond my capabilities as a user, I selected the crystal option expecting to see a different desktop but it appears the same, must be my lack of understanding, I also noticed firefox esr download but no sign of it, again must be my lack of knowledge.
I am not a fan of systemd hence my interest in beowulf, but as time goes by will be harder to resist, I am thinking of biting the bullet and trying ghostbsd.

P.S. I use MX on a T430 and Mint on a T61p (soon to be changed), but I am distro hopping on this toshiba portage with intel graphics at present.

fredx181

#47 Post by fredx181 »

Hi johnrpm, thanks for your interest.
I selected the crystal option expecting to see a different desktop but it appears the same
If you selected the fvwm-crystal option from the GUI choice of Desktop environment, there should be "zz_fvwm-crystal_config.squashfs" in the "live" folder. That contains the configuration for the fvwm-crystal desktop. If it's not there, something went wrong during the build.

Fred

johnrpm

#48 Post by johnrpm »

Yes,I noticed that sfs and loaded it, but did not find anything regards the crystal stuff, maybe should log out, or re-startx, I confess that I have mainly been playng with the frugal install of beowulf (which is another thread) and will spend some more time on the iso build, my main reason for posting was to thank you for your work (along with those you mention) producing the excellent dogs, I used stretchdog as a daily driver for some time, very impressed with it, then went to q4os for some time, but something keeps pulling me back to puppy, the reason I wandered was the package availability in normal puppies, but with your dogs that is no longer an issue.

i am no doubt talking rubbish (not the first time) but would it be possible for the script to interrogate the system (inxi for example) and suggest an appropriate kernel, for the iso, not linux from scratch but a lot of issues seem to come from old hardware with new kernels, maybe something already exists, or it is not feasible, anyway only a suggestion.

fredx181

#49 Post by fredx181 »

*** Updated mklive-beowulf ***

Download (and make executable) then run 'mklive-beowulf' script , e.g.

./mklive-beowulf -gui
From partition (Linux filesystem formatted, e.g. ext3 or ext4) with at least 3GB free space.
This script can be used best from a 'Dog' based OS, e.g. DebianDog, StretchDog, Xenialdog, BionicDog, DevuanDog, see below for running from a Puppy OS (appimages, dependencies are included).

Web Page

Changes and fixes:
- Fixed, when checking for internet connection, that message appears "There no network connection" (and will exit) while there is actually a working connection.
This happened in some cases if 'ping' requests are blocked by a firewall or by a network admin, now using 'curl' rather than 'ping' so should be more reliable.
- Better error checking, e.g. if the base system install by debootstrap fails for some reason, the script will exit instead of continuing.
- Fixed that running this could interfere with the mklive-stretch build system.
(previously it could happen but now config files are overwritten in case of running both in same session)

Appimages for to build DevuanDog Beowulf. For use on most modern Puppies (dependencies included), make executable before running:
32-bit appimage: mklive-beowulf32
64-bit appimage: mklive-beowulf64

Run e.g. from partition (Linux filesystem formatted, e.g. ext3 or ext4) with at least 3GB free space:

./mklive-beowulf32 -gui
And follow the instructions.

Discontinued "mklive-ceres", removed links to the appimages, it appears to be broken, the Devuan 'ceres' (unstable) development is behind in keeping up with the rapid changes from Debian Sid.

Fred

westwest

equalizer

#50 Post by westwest »

The ALSA equalizer from "libasound2-plugin-equal" does not show up in the menu, and i cannot figure out how to start it from command line. There is no problem with it in DevuanDog64 proper, only when using mklive-beowulf (and ceres)...

I've tried installing additional related packages and libraries, but the problem persists. Any help very much appreciated.

fredx181

#51 Post by fredx181 »

Hi westwest, probably you did one of the 'minimal' builds?
Shows up in the menu only with a 'full' build, but here's a .deb package that contains the required files and Alsa equalizer should be in menu after install:
https://fred181.gitlab.io/devuandog/NoR ... -0_all.deb
Make sure that the packages lists are updated before installing, so first:

apt-get update
Hope this helps.

EDIT: btw I discontinued working on mklive-ceres, it's a little broken now and I expect it will be even worse in the future (because of the rapid changes in 'unstable').

Fred

westwest

alsa-equal

#52 Post by westwest »

Thanks Fred, Alsa-equal installed fine with the DEB.

I have paid attention to your warning about CERES, and so am using BEOWULF for the time being. And i did make a "minimal" build, as i prefer the plain Openbox-LxPanel combination, which boots to ~100mb in RAM, and since I do not need or want Jwm, XLunch, or even Firefox for example.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i suppose Synaptic doesn't pull dependencies it presumes should be present in the base system? If so, i will try to figure out which packages are omitted in the "minimal" build and add them as required, since i'd rather build "from the ground up" (well, not quite...) than strip DevuanDog64 and then remaster.

Thanks again for your quick and helpful reply!

fredx181

#53 Post by fredx181 »

westwest wrote:Correct me if i'm wrong, but i suppose Synaptic doesn't pull dependencies it presumes should be present in the base system? If so, i will try to figure out which packages are omitted in the "minimal" build and add them as required, since i'd rather build "from the ground up" (well, not quite...) than strip DevuanDog64 and then remaster.

I'm not completely sure if I understand what you mean, but I'l try to answer (if I misunderstood please explain a bit more with examples maybe)
Synaptic (in fact dpkg) "knows" almost all about what's inside DevuanDog (I'd say 99%), but there are some exceptions (one of them are the additional alsa-equal files) some 'Dog core' scripts and configs are by default included and not registered by dpkg or Synaptic.
The files from inside https://fred181.gitlab.io/devuandog/dog ... 503.tar.gz (for beowulf) are included in every possible build (minimal or full) and the additional squashfs files belonging to the DE choices are here (mostly for Desktop configuration, startup scripts etc..): https://debiandog.github.io/MakeLive/modules-beowulf/

The 64bit DevuanDog repo is here: https://fred181.gitlab.io/devuandog/amd64/Packages/
These packages can all be found and installed with Synaptic (or apt-get) and are fully registered when installed, with dependency checking.

Also you can have a look at the config files here: https://debiandog.github.io/MakeLive/configs-devuan/ and see what packages there are in different build configs.

Fred

westwest

mklive-beowulf

#54 Post by westwest »

So if i understand correctly, i've stumbled upon an exception that cannot be handled by dpkg using Devuan repos or DevuanDog repos in the "minimal" build? And that would be because some "Dog core" files are not registered by dpkg in the "minimal" build (hence perhaps minimal?), though they are in DevuanDog proper, and not because of missing dependencies?

I also am puzzled by the source of the DEB you've provided, which pointed to a missing file on a page in mandarin or cantonese.

But I do not want to waste your time with an issue that has been fixed, and apologize for the confusion.

fredx181

Re: mklive-beowulf

#55 Post by fredx181 »

westwest wrote:So if i understand correctly, i've stumbled upon an exception that cannot be handled by dpkg using Devuan repos or DevuanDog repos in the "minimal" build? And that would be because some "Dog core" files are not registered by dpkg in the "minimal" build (hence perhaps minimal?), though they are in DevuanDog proper, and not because of missing dependencies?
Yes, not perfect, but I'd say don't worry about this too much., to be honest I can't think of another exception other than the "alsa equal" scripts (which is an extra addition of mine, not provided by Devuan).
They are in DevuanDog proper because I added these extra custom stuff manually, but almost all custom 'Dog' scripts and programs are inside packages from DevuanDog repo.
I also am puzzled by the source of the DEB you've provided, which pointed to a missing file on a page in mandarin or cantonese.
Yes, I see, that's wrong, I took that Homepage URL (without checking it) from the official "libasound2-plugin-equal' package, so can't really blame me :)

Fred

westwest

mklive-beowulf

#56 Post by westwest »

Ok, thanks Fred, wonderful work as per usual.

fredx181

#57 Post by fredx181 »

*** Updated mklive-beowulf ***

Download (and make executable) then run 'mklive-beowulf' script , e.g.

./mklive-beowulf -gui
(for use on 'Dog' based systems, see below for appimages, for use from a Puppy OS)

Web Page

Changes and fixes:
- Major change is that there will be no extra .squashfs module included for Desktop configuration anymore in the 'live' folder (e.g. zz_openbox_lx-jwm_firefox.squashfs), it's merged now in the main 01-filesystem.squashfs. (when using one of the preset DE choices)

Appimages for to build DevuanDog Beowulf. For use on most modern Puppies (dependencies included), make executable before running:
32-bit appimage: mklive-beowulf32
64-bit appimage: mklive-beowulf64

Run e.g. from partition (Linux filesystem formatted, e.g. ext3 or ext4) with at least 3GB free space:

./mklive-beowulf32 -gui
And follow the instructions.

Fred

dancytron

#58 Post by dancytron »

Does anyone have any suggestions or maybe a procedure documented somewhere on how to install the proprietary Nvidia drivers. The driver I need is the 340 legacy driver.

After I bit the bullet and stopped trying to make sfs files, it was pretty simple in Stretch, just
# apt install linux-headers-$(uname -r|sed 's/[^-]*-[^-]*-//') nvidia-legacy-340xx-driver

-create xorg.conf by installing and running nvidia-xconfig.

and then cleanup and blacklisting nvidia audio so my regular sound would continue to work.

Maybe the second kernel sfs makes it so you need to so something different?

No hurry, Stretch is working fine for me, but I'd like to eventually move over to the next version.

For my reference: https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#configure

rcrsn51

#59 Post by rcrsn51 »

You didn't identify the specific problem you had with DevuanDog, but I suspect that it is the following:

I first tried to build the Broadcom wl WiFi driver in DevuanDog. It compiled OK, but loading the module failed with "Exec format error".

I then tried to build the nVidia Xorg driver and got the same error. Again, the new driver failed to load.

There is lots of google info about this error, none of it helpful.

dancytron

#60 Post by dancytron »

I am narrowing it down.

I am pretty sure it has something to do with this:
Building for 4.19.0-5-amd64
Module build for kernel 4.19.0-5-amd64 was skipped since the
kernel headers for this kernel does not seem to be installed.
I'm not sure if it is not installing the kernel headers or if it is not seeing the right ones or what, but I'll make another try tomorrow and see if I can narrow it down.