Splash Screen on Bootup....

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
Paul

Splash Screen on Bootup....

#1 Post by Paul »

Is there anyway to change or remove the splash screen when puppy v. 1.0.2 boots up. The first time it came up, it scared the sh*t out of me.

- Paul

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

You should see the default screen for Mandrake's new "Limited Edition."

nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

#3 Post by nduanetesh »

I have to agree...it's pretty psychodelic. I mean, the last time I saw a giant chihuahua head superimposed over a test pattern like that was in the late 90s, and I SWORE I would NEVER go to that massage parlor again.

But, sorry man, I don't know how to remove it. If I'm recalling my kernel lore (that I read ages ago) correctly, it's embedded in one of the boot files (vmlinuz? maybe?). your best bet would be a boot option cheat code...but since puppy doesn't allow you to input cheat codes, I think you're SOL.

ND

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Well, it is only there for a second. Since it shows up right when Puppy begins to boot, it has to be in the first thing that would load into RAM during the boot sequence for Linux. Puppy can't be too different from other versions of Linux. My guess is the image can be found somewhere in /linuxrc or /sbin/init.

#5 Post by guest »

I wish that was the only problem I had; I D/L'ed the ISO last night (on a 56K connection), burned it and ALL I get is that damned dog; even though Mozilla said the D/L was complete, I only show 8.9Mb as the ISO size; yes I know it's actually 60.9 Mb., but why would Mozilla show it as complete?

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#6 Post by GuestToo »

i usually use wget to download larger files
for one thing, it can resume the download

i could easily make a dotpup that will automatically download the iso and check the md5sum

BarryK
Puppy Master

#7 Post by BarryK »

Maybe that splash screen should go...

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#8 Post by Lobster »

tsk tsk - so soon? Where is the graphic file kept - if we use that as a template for size and colours we can design a new pup perhaps - less fearful for our more sensitive pups? :cry:
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

everettattebury

#9 Post by everettattebury »

BarryK wrote:Maybe that splash screen should go...
I think it would be a good idea to have a simple little block of text with the puppy version number. And maybe some ascii art of puppy?

babbs

Keep the splash

#10 Post by babbs »

I vote to keep a splash screen on there as long as its small and loads quickly. When I had problems with 1.0.2RC (hope to try the released version tonight), seeing that pup was a good sign...

Just my 2 cents...

Babbs

daztay

#11 Post by daztay »

I must say.... "A" for originality.... although it could have been topped off with 100 db spl 1kHZ sine wave so not to discrimate against the ears!.

:shock:
There are 10 types of people in the world!
Those who know binary and those who don't.
If you dont get it click the newb buttton

#12 Post by Guest »

splash screens are quite cool, but i think we need something a bit softer on the eye.
What about if we had an image of a puppy playing in a meadow or somthing? :roll:

Better yet let people set it. we could have a directory for the background and one in a similar place for the splashscreen.

Then just a small simple little application to set and resize the picture so it is of the correct size to be used as a splash screen. :)

I think this kind of thing already exists in qingy project. :D