is there way to replace build in Palemoon with new in sfs?

Booting, installing, newbie
daarek5

is there way to replace build in Palemoon with new in sfs?

#1 Post by daarek5 »

Hello
Curious question how to modify
- Old Palemoon (24) is in well working lxtahr15.
- New (current) is in sfs.
- After loading sfs, only old palemoon starts.

Is it possible to replace build in Palemoon, any simlpe solution?

Of course I can use different puppy, but want to know useful way for update browser without big savefile.

foxpup

#2 Post by foxpup »

Use a portable palemoon and not a sfs.
Or run the new palemoon from a folder 'outside'. (That is almost same as portable.)

You could share the configuration between the old and new palemoon as well.
For palemoon that is in /root/.mozilla and in '/root/.moonchild productions'

nic007

#3 Post by nic007 »

Load the Palemoon sfs as an adrv or ydrv (just rename it).

tallboy

#4 Post by tallboy »

foxpup wrote:You could share the configuration between the old and new palemoon as well.
For palemoon that is in /root/.mozilla and in '/root/.moonchild productions'
That is not always correct. There are warnings about doing so, on the palemoon.org pages (sorry, I don't have an address for that text, maybe in the forum?). If it is a pre-28-series PM that is upgraded to the late 28.7.0, there are differences in how they are built, and '/root/.moonchild productions/' could be renamed -old, or something. Then you can compare settings and transfer them one by one.
Also, if you have some add-ons or extensions originally made for Firefox that worked in an old Palemoon, most of them cannot be used in the later Paleoons.
Have you tried to upgrade it, from it's menu?
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

foxpup

#5 Post by foxpup »

Thank you for the information, tallboy
I do not use versions that old, but on an older PC I had, I remember having issues with sharing profiles with older mozilla browsers.
I'm sorry I don't remember details anymore.

I use 1 profile for palemoon, seamonkey, light and firefox.
However, I use not so old versions.
AND for firefox, it has to be a firefox before Quantum.
The other browsers do not like to share profile with Quantum firefox, but it is not entirely impossible, if you don't mind some minor issues.

Quantum starts from Firefox 57 or Firefox 60.0esr.
Last not-Quantum firefox are 56.0.2 or 52.9esr.

foxpup

#6 Post by foxpup »

nic007 wrote:Load the Palemoon sfs as an adrv or ydrv (just rename it).
because these are layered on top of main.sfs?

oui

#7 Post by oui »

UNDER THE CONDITION that your Puppy is fresh enough to support the considered Mozilla / Palemoon version

1. empty the directory containing your actual version (generally /usr/lib/seamonkey or /usr/lib/palemoon, sometimes /opt/seamonkey or /opt/palemoon, sometimes with the version number sometimes without)

(*1

2. download the linux package

(for ex. here for palemoon:

https://linux.palemoon.org/download/mainline/ )

into that empty library

3. hit on the package in rox, the puppy archive routine opens

4. mark option "unpack all"

5. execute!

6. look for the name of the binary found in the new content and compare with the name used in the old version or in *.desktop file in /usr/share/application or /usr/bin

and

6.1 if different, create a link (easy in rox: right hitting on the new name, select option "link" and write the old name!)

7. move all the content (mark in rox and push on the icon "parent" in the top bar left of rox) into the parent directory

8. remaster if all did go correctly

(*1 if you don't want to erase as soon, rename the dir and create an empty dir with the same name!

(*2 you can interchange so palemoon / firefox / seamonkey / conkeror continuing to use the initial name, only the browser / browser version is changed :idea:

Mike Walsh

#8 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ daarek:-

Yep, I agree with foxpup. Run the portable Palemoon, and set it up outside of Puppy-space. Either at /mnt/home/, on a remote partition, or even on a flash drive. It'll happily run from anywhere, because it's completely self-contained.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=115119

(I know that's a few versions out of date, but the 28-series Palemoons now auto-update by themselves. It'll soon offer you the latest version.)

Having unpacked it, just drag the 'plmn' script from inside the directory onto the desktop.....and there's your launcher. First run of the launcher script sets up the profile internally, inside the Palemoon directory. Second and subsequent runs will always start Palemoon using this internal profile; it doesn't create anything at /root/.moonchild productions.....so you can copy the entire thing to another Puppy, and it'll fire straight up.

Just make sure to always use the launcher script to start it with.

----------------------------

@ oui:-

"Konqueror"? Oh, dear God.....

I'll pray for you, mate..!! :lol:

(Jeez. It's the most horrendous piece of crap ever to come out of the Linux community. It's almost on the same gutter level as Internet Exploder.....)

It's the only browser I know of that's integrated with a file-manager! 'Nuff said, I think.... AFAIK, the KDE community learnt from their mistakes with that one a long time ago.

(I'm willing to be corrected, like, but I had some very bad experiences with that thing in my early Linux days. Never again; once burnt, twice shy, y'know?)

Mike. :wink:

nic007

#9 Post by nic007 »

foxpup wrote:
nic007 wrote:Load the Palemoon sfs as an adrv or ydrv (just rename it).
because these are layered on top of main.sfs?
Yes, you may need to remove the previous profile.ini file in the /root/.moonchild productions/palemoon folder. Personally, I edit the base sfs and remove the builtin palemoon completely (I just save favourites) and then run the new palemoon as an sfs-addon. It is not much work as most of it is located at /opt/palemoon. Check the /.packages/builtin-files/palemoon file for all the installation entries.

nic007

#10 Post by nic007 »

BTW - Seamonkey and I think Palemoon can be downloaded from the official sites in already self-contained form (tarballs) so you only need to extract the contents to any folder anywhere and run the executable within. No need to make it "portable" yourself as far as I know. For example - The seamonkey tarball extracts to a seamonkey folder containing everything.

Mike Walsh

#11 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ daarek :-
nic007 wrote:BTW - Seamonkey and I think Palemoon can be downloaded from the official sites in already self-contained form (tarballs) so you only need to extract the contents to any folder anywhere and run the executable within. No need to make it "portable" yourself as far as I know. For example - The seamonkey tarball extracts to a seamonkey folder containing everything.
Nic's right, as far as that goes.....and the same applies to any Mozilla-based browser, TBH. The browser itself is nicely self-contained, all within one directory. However, it will always set-up the profile within the user's 'home' directory, in the OS itself.

This is fine if, like most people, you run just ONE OS per machine. If you're an idiot like me, and run several OSs on one machine, then it helps being able to 'share' a single-browser between multiple OSs.....and along with that, I want just one profile, NOT one per OS..!

And that's what the 'portable' does. The profile is NOT set-up in your user directory. Instead, it's set-up inside the browser's own directory.

Does that make sense?

nic007

#12 Post by nic007 »

I take your point, Mike. I think the same can be achieved like this, eg: I have one Palemoon.sfs in folder A which also hosts puppy A. Now I setup Palemoon in this puppy A by moving the .moonchild productions folder out of root and to folder A and symlinking it back to root. All I need to do with the other puppys (which are in their own folders) is to symlink the .moonchild productions folder in folder A to root of the running puppy and load the same Palemoon.sfs. The symlinks are obviously created only once.

oui

#13 Post by oui »

Hi Mike
Mike Walsh wrote: @ oui:-

"Konqueror"? Oh, dear God.....

I'll pray for you, mate..!! :lol:

(Jeez. It's the most horrendous piece of crap ever to come out of the Linux community. It's almost on the same gutter level as Internet Exploder.....)

It's the only browser I know of that's integrated with a file-manager! 'Nuff said, I think.... AFAIK, the KDE community learnt from their mistakes with that one a long time ago.

(I'm willing to be corrected, like, but I had some very bad experiences with that thing in my early Linux days. Never again; once burnt, twice shy, y'know?)
I find you make a terrible error with that kind of comments: Linux has not to much developers but to less. the conkeror packages for Puppy are limited to the ones build with the real old xulrunner! it is very old (the last Seamonkey with it was 2.21 or 2.22! The base of conkeror is in all cases older else if the xulrunner programmers did perhaps publish later. Older versions of Firefox / Seamonkey also are today not so fit as the new ones!).

If you praise an -in your eyes- good software solution, you do a positive work!

but if you critic a (more than 10 years old, pls consider that!!!) software you do only an idiotic and negative work because you encourage people being active to develop for Linux to flee and work for a more comprehensive (or more generous and rewarding) community (the maintainers of conkeror did actualise a bit her works since the last Puppy packaging)... I regret for those developers and maintainers to have to read such lines (typical for this forum where a lot of good developers did be sentenced to flee...)

Note: THAT conkeror has less to do with KDE: it belong clear to the Mozilla and VI world first :wink: else if it can also be used in the KD Environment!

Mike Walsh

#14 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ nic007:-

Yep, that would achieve the same effect, certainly. As I've always said, this is one of those things I like about Linux; there's always multiple ways to achieve the same outcome.

We all have our own preferred way of doing things. No two of us are the same in this respect.

Running so many Pups, I'm always looking for ways to automate all this sort of stuff.....so that setting up things like this can be achieved by putting together a .pet, and it becomes simply a matter of 'click-to-install'. Which makes setting-up a new Pup much easier for me in the long run; with the portables being 'installed' on an external partition, all that's needed is to add a MenuEntry pointing to the appropriate location, and citing the 'launcher' script. The .desktop entries are set up with arguments to open 2 specific sites I like to have there, ready open, when I fire a browser up.

I've proved that it's perfectly possible to assemble .pets which are nothing but sym-links.....and they do work.

nic007

#15 Post by nic007 »

I like to work with SFS files because of obvious advantages like read-only, compact, less chance of corruption, etc. but as you say each to his own. I know you also like huge savefiles..... :wink:

daarek5

#16 Post by daarek5 »

Thanks for replies
Checked newer streth 7.5 with palemoon build in - palemoon.sfs not working. Vivaldi sfs OK.
I also like sfs approach, and stay with it. Easy update (thanks LxPupSc maintenence) easy :!: change back if something is wrong.
now catch the trick :idea: (thanks nic007) that some puppies are designed to easy change browser, others not.
Crazy :evil: that websites and browsers changes so quikly.
Remastering ... no experience, but maybe comes a day to try...
@oui
my rookie :?: : is this ordinary way to remaster and update browser (or something else) in puppy? widely used?

peebee

Re: is there way to replace build in Palemoon with new in sfs?

#17 Post by peebee »

daarek5 wrote:Is it possible to replace build in Palemoon, any simlpe solution?
Of course I can use different puppy, but want to know useful way for update browser without big savefile.
Use a Puppy where the browser is supplied as an adrv and simply replace the adrv with an sfs version of the browser of your choice (chromium, firefox, palemoon, seamonkey or vivaldi, iron or slimjet for 32-bit systems...)
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64