Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 19 Sep 2019, 08:29
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Precise-light - 17March2019 - for older hardware
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 16 of 16 [239 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 14, 15, 16
watchdog

PostPosted: Sun 08 Sep 2019, 12:20    Post subject:  

jrb wrote:
watchdog wrote:
A general libstdc++.so.6 upgrade may break other software (geany?).
Many things in life may happen. It would be more helplful to know if something has happened?.
watchdog wrote:
I was forced to copy from the original precise 5.7.1 the utility find in /usr/bin for PPM to work.
Here again it would be more helpful to know what happened. I've tested PPM but come up with no problems.

I am very interested to hear any specific problems you have had.

Thanks, jrb

I installed some software (gnupg2 by PPM, the libstdc++.so.6 upgrade) and I ended in a situation where both PPM and geany were not working with a freeze of PPM and geany not starting. From console I have argued that for geany an old libstdc++.so.6 was required. For PPM freezing the error was "find" requiring a newer glibc. So I reverted to the old find. Now I have a working installation so far as I have tested it.
jrb

PostPosted: Sun 08 Sep 2019, 15:59    Post subject:  

watchdog wrote:
I installed some software (gnupg2 by PPM, the libstdc++.so.6 upgrade) and I ended in a situation where both PPM and geany were not working with a freeze of PPM and geany not starting. From console I have argued that for geany an old libstdc++.so.6 was required. For PPM freezing the error was "find" requiring a newer glibc. So I reverted to the old find. Now I have a working installation so far as I have tested it.

Thanks for getting back to me on this watchdog. You are right, gnupg2 really doesn't like the new libstdc++.so.6. On my computer it not only broke geany and PPM but also SoftmakerOffice, Palemoon, Opera12.16, I think probably any program that needs libstdc++.so.6. I think the error messages were wrong however. All these programs were running fine before the installation of gnupg2 so obviously they were happy with libstdc++.so.6 then. As for needing glibc18 and glibc17, Precise-light has come with glibc-2.20 since it was first introduced, that's why it can run so much new software.

So, what to do now? Luckily gnupg2 seems to install fine in the older version of Precise-light so people who wish to run it should be OK if they don't install the libstdc++6_upgrade.pet. I'll have to think about what to do in the new version. We'll see what develops.

Cheers, J
watchdog

PostPosted: Sun 08 Sep 2019, 17:38    Post subject:  

jrb wrote:
Precise-light has come with glibc-2.20 since it was first introduced, that's why it can run so much new software.

So, what to do now? Luckily gnupg2 seems to install fine in the older version of Precise-light so people who wish to run it should be OK if they don't install the libstdc++6_upgrade.pet. I'll have to think about what to do in the new version. We'll see what develops.

I was not aware that precise-light comes with glibc 2.20: the gnupg2 and dependencies revert to glibc 2.15 and that breaks the whole. I do not need so much gnupg2: it's only a matter to achieve the complete installation along with a sylpheed encryption capable. I'll make a new installation renouncing to gnupg2. Don't worry so much.
jrb

PostPosted: Sun 08 Sep 2019, 18:18    Post subject:  

watchdog wrote:
I was not aware that precise-light comes with glibc 2.20: the gnupg2 and dependencies revert to glibc 2.15 and that breaks the whole. I do not need so much gnupg2: it's only a matter to achieve the complete installation along with a sylpheed encryption capable. I'll make a new installation renouncing to gnupg2. Don't worry so much.

I've written a generalized launch script which access's /usr/lib/lib_upgrades. I cribbed some of your code and came up with /usr/local/bin/lib_path_launch:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/lib_upgrades:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
exec $1
I can place any needed upgrades in /usr/lib/lib_upgrades and then write a launch script for the app. In this case /usr/local/bin/Palemoon28.
Code:
#!/bin/sh
lib_path_launch palemoon28
So far working well. Will probably revert to original libstdc++.so.6 in the latest release and supply launch scripts if people need them.

It's not worry, I'm just a bit obsessive about problem solving. Very Happy
watchdog

PostPosted: Sun 08 Sep 2019, 19:16    Post subject:  

It's very dangerous to use PPM in this puppy: many packages bring as dependency glibc 2.15 and libstdc++.so.6 original of precise breaking your work. I have managed to do my installation with a sylpheed 3.5.1 with encryption and gnupg2: the trick is to not install step by step but download packages and dependencies and install them manually discarding glibc 2.15 and original libstdc++.so.6. All working well now and I have the original palemoon 28.7.0 in /mnt/home. I wonder if some hack is possible to exclude glibc 2.15 and libstdc++.so.6 as dependencies in PPM.
jrb

PostPosted: Sun 08 Sep 2019, 23:28    Post subject:  

watchdog wrote:
I wonder if some hack is possible to exclude glibc 2.15 and libstdc++.so.6 as dependencies in PPM.

I went through Packages-ubuntu-precise-main, Packages-ubuntu-precise-universe, and Packages-ubuntu-precise-multiverse and removed all mentions of the libc6, libc-bin, and libstdc6 dependencies.

I then installed gnupg2 using step by step installation, libc6, libc-bin, and libstdc6 were not listed as dependencies and were not downloaded or installed. The installed binaries showed no missing dependencies and opened their help dialogs when launched in a terminal with the --help option.

I will continue to refine this process and try not to eliminate unnecessary references. I think this is a workable and preferred solution.

That was a good catch on the libc6 download and install.Cool I completely missed it.

Thanks for the help, J
jrb

PostPosted: Mon 09 Sep 2019, 01:19    Post subject: Important Fix for PPM
Subject description: ubuntu downloads may break system

watchdog wrote:
It's very dangerous to use PPM in this puppy: many packages bring as dependency glibc 2.15 and libstdc++.so.6 original of precise breaking your work.

Heed watchdogs warning and apply the following fix:
dotpup_upgrade-PL0.1.pet
Description  important upgrade
pet

Download 
Filename  dotpup_upgrade-PL0.1.pet 
Filesize  2.7 KB 
Downloaded  16 Time(s) 
perdido

PostPosted: Mon 09 Sep 2019, 14:00    Post subject: Re: Important Fix for PPM

jrb wrote:

Installed & does the job.
Thanks for the fix !
s243a

PostPosted: Mon 09 Sep 2019, 18:10    Post subject: Re: Important Fix for PPM

jrb wrote:
watchdog wrote:
It's very dangerous to use PPM in this puppy: many packages bring as dependency glibc 2.15 and libstdc++.so.6 original of precise breaking your work.

There is a way in the ppm to block packages.

mikeslr

PostPosted: Mon 09 Sep 2019, 19:42    Post subject: Re: Important Fix for PPM

s243a wrote:

But it would violate the Magician's Code if it were made public. Laughing
s243a

PostPosted: Mon 09 Sep 2019, 20:24    Post subject: Re: Important Fix for PPM

mikeslr wrote:
s243a wrote:

But it would violate the Magician's Code if it were made public. Laughing

The scarf is in the other hand! I mean...take a look at either:

in my tiny_devaun, I have:
Code:

case $DISTRO_COMPAT_VERSION in
 *)
  PKG_NAME_IGNORE='fbset petget rgb sysfiles sysklogd'
 ;;
esac
case $DISTRO_BINARY_COMPAT in #110705
 debian|devuan|ubuntu|trisquel|raspbian) #130614
  PKG_NAME_IGNORE="adduser debconf passwd libc6 ${PKG_NAME_IGNORE}"
 ;;
esac

#in some cases the compat-distro has a pkg that has a dep that was a PET builtin to Puppy.
#however, the compat-distro pkg will only work with the dep from the compat-distro.
#an example is slackware 13.1, ffmpegthumbnailer (slacky repo) will only work with ffmpeg from
#the slacky repo, but Slackpup is built with my own ffmpeg PET (has later libs).
#by putting 'ffmpeg' in this variable, any slacky pkgs with ffmpeg dep will be filtered out
#(but only if I built Puppy with ffmpeg from a PET not from the compat-distro-repos)
PKG_PET_THEN_BLACKLIST_COMPAT_KIDS='ffmpeg'
PKG_REPOS_ENABLED=' Packages-puppy-stretch-official Packages-puppy-noarch-official Packages-puppy-common-official Packages-devuan-ascii-contrib Packages-devuan-ascii-main '

https://github.com/s243a/woof-CE/.../woof-code/rootfs-packages/puppy_ppm_configs_devaun_ascii/var/packages/PKGS_MANAGEMENT#L50
https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE/.../woof-code/PKGS_MANAGEMENT#L24

I added libc6 (above to the blacklist) aka PKG_NAME_IGNORE.

tallboy

PostPosted: Tue 10 Sep 2019, 15:33    Post subject:  

Hi jrb.
Is the cdrtools-3.02a09-i686_common32 included in your latest updates from woof-CE? It may give me a chance to make a multisession CD-R with Precise-light on it, which would be great for my old Linuxboxes. I know it also comes as a .pet, I have downloaded it already.

jrb

PostPosted: Tue 10 Sep 2019, 17:09    Post subject:  

tallboy wrote:
Hi jrb.
Is the cdrtools-3.02a09-i686_common32 included in your latest updates from woof-CE? It may give me a chance to make a multisession CD-R with Precise-light on it, which would be great for my old Linuxboxes. I know it also comes as a .pet, I have downloaded it already.

I'm afraid it's not included at present. I see it duplicates (upgrades?) some of the files already present in PL. Unfortunately I'll be gone from home for about a month, starting tomorrow, so I won't have much time for Puppy projects. If you can install the .pet and it works well for you maybe I can include it in the 1st upgrade.

Cheers, J
tallboy

PostPosted: Tue 10 Sep 2019, 18:22    Post subject:  

Thank you, I'll see what happens! Very Happy
Page 16 of 16 [239 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 14, 15, 16
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: