Precise-light - 17March2019 - for older hardware

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jrb

#221 Post by jrb »

sheldonisaac wrote:
jrb (in part) wrote:Ok, the new version is uploaded.
Thank you, jrb.
Can someone tell me how to:
Make the bottom tray have only one 'virtual desktop'?
Get rid of the 'drives' icon?

Thanks a lot.

Sheldon
In spite of Perdido's complement on having 4 desktops I can't take any credit for that, WoofCE did it on its own. I was surprised when I tried to change it in Menu->Desktop->JWM window manager settings->Tray Management and it wouldn't change. I did find the config file in /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal_old. If you open that as text and change <Desktops width="2" height="2"/> to <Desktops width="1" height="1"/> and then restart JWM, Menu->Exit->Restart Window Manager, you will have 1 lonely desktop.

If you have a "drives" icon it means you've already changed settings in Desktop Drive Manager, right? Anyway open Menu->Desktop->Desktop drive icons manager and uncheck "Activate Puppy Events Manager" on the Activate menu and click OK. Right click on the "drives" icon and choose "Remove Item". The drive icon will disappear. Will it last, I don't know.

jrb

#222 Post by jrb »

jrb wrote:I was surprised when I tried to change it in Menu->Desktop->JWM window manager settings->Tray Management and it wouldn't change.
The fix was super simple and will certainly be part of the 1st update.
Attachments
jwm_config_fix_PLmk2.0-0.1.pet
(366 Bytes) Downloaded 149 times

watchdog

#223 Post by watchdog »

A general libstdc++.so.6 upgrade may break other software (geany?). I stick with my palemoon-28.7.0-glibc219tweak.pet.
I was forced to copy from the original precise 5.7.1 the utility find in /usr/bin for PPM to work.

perdido

#224 Post by perdido »

watchdog wrote: I was forced to copy from the original precise 5.7.1 the utility find in /usr/bin for PPM to work.
Hi watchdog,
attn: jrb
The find utility was replaced in Precise-lite with the version from upupbionic32 due to inconsistencies with output when running the delta2pet utility.
See this post http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 67#1025167

I just completed testing in Precise-lite again with the find version 4.4.2 from original precise 5.7.1 vs. find version 4.7.0 from upupbb32 that had replaced it.

It turns out the find utility from the original precise 5.7.1 works fine and there was no need to to substitute with the upupbb version, I must have accidently left
the upupbb version from Precise-lite out or in sometime during testing after replacing the /usr/bin/diff utility and I thought I needed the find v4.7.0 from upupbb when
I had success creating the PET. :oops: Completely an oversite on my part and I apologize for any wasted time it caused.

In summary, the original find version 4.4.2 from precise 5.7.1 works fine when creating a pet using the delta2pet utility, Thanks for bringing this up!

jrb

#225 Post by jrb »

watchdog wrote:A general libstdc++.so.6 upgrade may break other software (geany?).
Many things in life may happen. It would be more helplful to know if something has happened?.
watchdog wrote:I was forced to copy from the original precise 5.7.1 the utility find in /usr/bin for PPM to work.
Here again it would be more helpful to know what happened. I've tested PPM but come up with no problems.

I am very interested to hear any specific problems you have had.

Thanks, jrb

watchdog

#226 Post by watchdog »

jrb wrote:
watchdog wrote:A general libstdc++.so.6 upgrade may break other software (geany?).
Many things in life may happen. It would be more helplful to know if something has happened?.
watchdog wrote:I was forced to copy from the original precise 5.7.1 the utility find in /usr/bin for PPM to work.
Here again it would be more helpful to know what happened. I've tested PPM but come up with no problems.

I am very interested to hear any specific problems you have had.

Thanks, jrb
I installed some software (gnupg2 by PPM, the libstdc++.so.6 upgrade) and I ended in a situation where both PPM and geany were not working with a freeze of PPM and geany not starting. From console I have argued that for geany an old libstdc++.so.6 was required. For PPM freezing the error was "find" requiring a newer glibc. So I reverted to the old find. Now I have a working installation so far as I have tested it.

jrb

#227 Post by jrb »

watchdog wrote:I installed some software (gnupg2 by PPM, the libstdc++.so.6 upgrade) and I ended in a situation where both PPM and geany were not working with a freeze of PPM and geany not starting. From console I have argued that for geany an old libstdc++.so.6 was required. For PPM freezing the error was "find" requiring a newer glibc. So I reverted to the old find. Now I have a working installation so far as I have tested it.
Thanks for getting back to me on this watchdog. You are right, gnupg2 really doesn't like the new libstdc++.so.6. On my computer it not only broke geany and PPM but also SoftmakerOffice, Palemoon, Opera12.16, I think probably any program that needs libstdc++.so.6. I think the error messages were wrong however. All these programs were running fine before the installation of gnupg2 so obviously they were happy with libstdc++.so.6 then. As for needing glibc18 and glibc17, Precise-light has come with glibc-2.20 since it was first introduced, that's why it can run so much new software.

So, what to do now? Luckily gnupg2 seems to install fine in the older version of Precise-light so people who wish to run it should be OK if they don't install the libstdc++6_upgrade.pet. I'll have to think about what to do in the new version. We'll see what develops.

Cheers, J

watchdog

#228 Post by watchdog »

jrb wrote:Precise-light has come with glibc-2.20 since it was first introduced, that's why it can run so much new software.

So, what to do now? Luckily gnupg2 seems to install fine in the older version of Precise-light so people who wish to run it should be OK if they don't install the libstdc++6_upgrade.pet. I'll have to think about what to do in the new version. We'll see what develops.
I was not aware that precise-light comes with glibc 2.20: the gnupg2 and dependencies revert to glibc 2.15 and that breaks the whole. I do not need so much gnupg2: it's only a matter to achieve the complete installation along with a sylpheed encryption capable. I'll make a new installation renouncing to gnupg2. Don't worry so much.

jrb

#229 Post by jrb »

watchdog wrote:I was not aware that precise-light comes with glibc 2.20: the gnupg2 and dependencies revert to glibc 2.15 and that breaks the whole. I do not need so much gnupg2: it's only a matter to achieve the complete installation along with a sylpheed encryption capable. I'll make a new installation renouncing to gnupg2. Don't worry so much.
I've written a generalized launch script which access's /usr/lib/lib_upgrades. I cribbed some of your code and came up with /usr/local/bin/lib_path_launch:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/lib_upgrades:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
exec $1
I can place any needed upgrades in /usr/lib/lib_upgrades and then write a launch script for the app. In this case /usr/local/bin/Palemoon28.

#!/bin/sh
lib_path_launch palemoon28
So far working well. Will probably revert to original libstdc++.so.6 in the latest release and supply launch scripts if people need them.

It's not worry, I'm just a bit obsessive about problem solving. :D

watchdog

#230 Post by watchdog »

It's very dangerous to use PPM in this puppy: many packages bring as dependency glibc 2.15 and libstdc++.so.6 original of precise breaking your work. I have managed to do my installation with a sylpheed 3.5.1 with encryption and gnupg2: the trick is to not install step by step but download packages and dependencies and install them manually discarding glibc 2.15 and original libstdc++.so.6. All working well now and I have the original palemoon 28.7.0 in /mnt/home. I wonder if some hack is possible to exclude glibc 2.15 and libstdc++.so.6 as dependencies in PPM.

jrb

#231 Post by jrb »

watchdog wrote:I wonder if some hack is possible to exclude glibc 2.15 and libstdc++.so.6 as dependencies in PPM.
I went through Packages-ubuntu-precise-main, Packages-ubuntu-precise-universe, and Packages-ubuntu-precise-multiverse and removed all mentions of the libc6, libc-bin, and libstdc6 dependencies.

I then installed gnupg2 using step by step installation, libc6, libc-bin, and libstdc6 were not listed as dependencies and were not downloaded or installed. The installed binaries showed no missing dependencies and opened their help dialogs when launched in a terminal with the --help option.

I will continue to refine this process and try not to eliminate unnecessary references. I think this is a workable and preferred solution.

That was a good catch on the libc6 download and install.8) I completely missed it.

Thanks for the help, J

jrb

Important Fix for PPM

#232 Post by jrb »

watchdog wrote:It's very dangerous to use PPM in this puppy: many packages bring as dependency glibc 2.15 and libstdc++.so.6 original of precise breaking your work.
Heed watchdogs warning and apply the following fix:
Attachments
dotpup_upgrade-PL0.1.pet
important upgrade
(2.7 KiB) Downloaded 135 times

perdido

Re: Important Fix for PPM

#233 Post by perdido »

jrb wrote: Heed watchdogs warning and apply the following fix:
Installed & does the job.
Thanks for the fix !

s243a

#234 Post by s243a »

jrb wrote:
watchdog wrote:It's very dangerous to use PPM in this puppy: many packages bring as dependency glibc 2.15 and libstdc++.so.6 original of precise breaking your work.
Heed watchdogs warning and apply the following fix:
There is a way in the ppm to block packages.
Find me on [url=https://www.minds.com/ns_tidder]minds[/url] and on [url=https://www.pearltrees.com/s243a/puppy-linux/id12399810]pearltrees[/url].

mikeslr

#235 Post by mikeslr »

s243a wrote: There is a way in the ppm to block packages.
But it would violate the Magician's Code if it were made public. :lol:

s243a

#236 Post by s243a »

mikeslr wrote:
s243a wrote: There is a way in the ppm to block packages.
But it would violate the Magician's Code if it were made public. :lol:
The scarf is in the other hand! I mean...take a look at either:

in my tiny_devaun, I have:

case $DISTRO_COMPAT_VERSION in
 *)
  PKG_NAME_IGNORE='fbset petget rgb sysfiles sysklogd'
 ;;
esac
case $DISTRO_BINARY_COMPAT in #110705
 debian|devuan|ubuntu|trisquel|raspbian) #130614
  PKG_NAME_IGNORE="adduser debconf passwd libc6 ${PKG_NAME_IGNORE}"
 ;;
esac

#in some cases the compat-distro has a pkg that has a dep that was a PET builtin to Puppy.
#however, the compat-distro pkg will only work with the dep from the compat-distro.
#an example is slackware 13.1, ffmpegthumbnailer (slacky repo) will only work with ffmpeg from
#the slacky repo, but Slackpup is built with my own ffmpeg PET (has later libs).
#by putting 'ffmpeg' in this variable, any slacky pkgs with ffmpeg dep will be filtered out
#(but only if I built Puppy with ffmpeg from a PET not from the compat-distro-repos)
PKG_PET_THEN_BLACKLIST_COMPAT_KIDS='ffmpeg'
PKG_REPOS_ENABLED=' Packages-puppy-stretch-official Packages-puppy-noarch-official Packages-puppy-common-official Packages-devuan-ascii-contrib Packages-devuan-ascii-main '
https://github.com/s243a/woof-CE/.../woof-code/rootfs-packages/puppy_ppm_configs_devaun_ascii/var/packages/PKGS_MANAGEMENT#L50
https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE/.../woof-code/PKGS_MANAGEMENT#L24

I added libc6 (above to the blacklist) aka PKG_NAME_IGNORE.
Find me on [url=https://www.minds.com/ns_tidder]minds[/url] and on [url=https://www.pearltrees.com/s243a/puppy-linux/id12399810]pearltrees[/url].

tallboy

#237 Post by tallboy »

Hi jrb.
Is the cdrtools-3.02a09-i686_common32 included in your latest updates from woof-CE? It may give me a chance to make a multisession CD-R with Precise-light on it, which would be great for my old Linuxboxes. I know it also comes as a .pet, I have downloaded it already.
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

jrb

#238 Post by jrb »

tallboy wrote:Hi jrb.
Is the cdrtools-3.02a09-i686_common32 included in your latest updates from woof-CE? It may give me a chance to make a multisession CD-R with Precise-light on it, which would be great for my old Linuxboxes. I know it also comes as a .pet, I have downloaded it already.
I'm afraid it's not included at present. I see it duplicates (upgrades?) some of the files already present in PL. Unfortunately I'll be gone from home for about a month, starting tomorrow, so I won't have much time for Puppy projects. If you can install the .pet and it works well for you maybe I can include it in the 1st upgrade.

Cheers, J

tallboy

#239 Post by tallboy »

Thank you, I'll see what happens! :D
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

jrb

#240 Post by jrb »

tallboy wrote:Hi jrb.
I'm back from my travels. :D

I was able to create a multisession DVD with just the tools in the current Precise-light-5.7.2, although I had to try 3 computers before I found one where the DVD-RW worked properly. :x I am posting from it right now.

I will be posting an update in the next 24 hours. It will include the jwm config fix, the dotpup (PPM) fix and will put Burniso2cd on the Utility menu. If anybody has any other issues with 5.7.2 please let me know.

Cheers, J