Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 19 Sep 2019, 08:37
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Is there a start menu editor for Bionicpup64?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
haywirepc

PostPosted: Wed 11 Sep 2019, 22:18    Post subject:  Is there a start menu editor for Bionicpup64?  

I am using bionicpup 64 and xfce. My start menu got a bit borked with wine entries, and I would like to just remove wine from the start menu (I made custom launchers I use for windows programs) Anyway, don't need wine on start menu, its a mess I could do without.

I seem to remember from xenialpuppy or some puppy version there is some kind of graphical menu editor. Is this not included in bionicpuppy or am I just not seeing it in there somehow?

Alternatively, I think there is a text file somewhere that defines the entries and
progams, does anyone know where that file is or what the process is like editing it?

Thanks in advance for your help.
bigpup

PostPosted: Thu 12 Sep 2019, 02:39    Post subject:  

Menu>Desktop>JWMDesk Manager>Menu Tab>Menu Manager
mikeslr

PostPosted: Thu 12 Sep 2019, 15:04    Post subject:  

Hi haywirepc,

Bigpup's advice may work if you first switch back to using JWM. After editing the Menu under JWM the changes you make should survive when you switch back to xfce.

How did you install xfce? Xfce's menu very likely uses different instructions than jwm to generate its menu. See this post: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/posting.php?mode=editpost&p=977867. Feel free to try the attachment after backing up your SaveFile/Folder.

Both jwm and xfce use the files in /usr/share/applications to generate menus. Those files have two arguments you should take into consideration. The first is "Categories=". Xfce does not 'understand' the Categories peculiar to Puppy which were created to work under JWM. For example, xfce may not generate a menu entry when the name of a category begins with "X" such as X-Internet-browser. You can open any /usr/share/applications/...desktop file in a text editor and change to Category argument which xfce understands, using the Category argument in the desktop file of an application which appears on xfce's menu where you want the subject application to appear.

But if you just want an application to not appear on the menu, you can (a) change the Category argument to "Building Block" or any category which doesn't exist --e.g. zstuff; or you can add the following argument to the desktop file:

NoDisplay=true.

JWMDesk's Menu editor re-writes a desktop file to remove or include that argument when you Click-toggle the green/red button.

Hopefully, you will not have to try to follow these instructions. https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=160784. IIRC, when I built an xfce panel (only) with Whisker Menu to use under xenialpup Menu Libre didn't properly install.
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: