EasyOS version 2.3.2, June 22, 2020

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: rox-filer dissapearing ?bug?

#1801 Post by BarryK »

scsijon wrote:I'm getting the rox-filer dissapearing when changing windows without reason or message.

Something along the lines like>
I created a directory in the current window;
opened geany to create a file, saved file;
changed window to do something else in another window;
switched back to the first and geany is still there, but the rox-filer has dissapeared, it's not in a different window either, nore is there something in xerrs.log or any of the other log files either.

If it was once I would take it it's me, but it's repeating.

Only extra I have loaded is the devx too, so the system shouldn't be overloaded.

EDIT: It's only the rox-filer that's behaving like this for me and i've tried quite a few other apps
I tried various things as you described, I can't get rox to disappear.

If rox actually crashed, you would lose all the desktop icons and wallpaper, and just have a black screen, with jwm still running at bottom of screen.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#1802 Post by BarryK »

scsijon wrote:Trying to disconnect from the internet seems impossible, it just automatically reconnects again if your using ethernet and tell it to "Disconnect from Network" via the tray icon.

That should be enough for tonight, :-)

I'll do some further bug hunting tomorrow.
Yeah, I want to do a major review of network control. Would like to use the network-manager-applet, but have to fix some issues with it first.

Will probably have to schedule that one for release-after-next.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: playing videos failing

#1803 Post by BarryK »

scsijon wrote: 4- Gnome MPV is failing to start, nothing appears on the screen.
It is working for me. What xorg video driver are you using? In my case it is Intel graphics chip and the xorg modesetting driver.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Playing DVDs

#1804 Post by BarryK »

Rodney Byne wrote:To scsijon,

after loading a dvd in sr0 to play, mine plays immediately,
picture and sound normally by default in mpv.

Perhaps it helps in Default Applications Chooser
to set Media Player at gnomempvshell then save.

Right-click on drive icon sr0 to eject & open the tray.

Regards.
There is a problem with the tray opening then immediately closing. This is due to how dvd/cd media insertion is now detected, using a udev rule and a daemon. I posted something about that recently, on the blog, that udev thing.

If we went back to the old way of probing the optical drive, the way it was done in Puppy prior to udev, this issue would be fixed.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#1805 Post by BarryK »

scsijon wrote:Barry, another problem for you I fear.

I use 4 desktops, a for active tasks, b for local on-system background stuff (logbook, diary, etc.), c is communications programs, d for development work. Been doing it this way for decades (~early ';70's), so it's sort of automatic.

If I load all of them up with working programs (even if only loaded up and not doing or running things), i'm finding the desktop controls are sometimes loosing focus after the fourth is 'loaded' (in any order), can't swap windows, mouse does nothing, keyboard sort of works though (both keyboard and mouse are wired usb). Have to <ctl><alt><F1> and stop the x server (<ctl><alt><Fx> seems to be about the only thing still working properly), then shutdown and start again from 'cold', a reboot or xwin will allow it to come up again, but control is not properly regained for either the mouse or keyboard. Not every time of course, that would be too easy to track, but as many times as not, looks like there is a xserver problem somewhere.
There have been issues before with multiple desktops, the problem is with jwm I think. I could try the latest version of jwm. Might schedule that for release-after-next also.

lp-dolittle

running totally in RAM

#1806 Post by lp-dolittle »

@Barry

your ongoing striving for additionally enhancing the 'running totally in RAM' options of EasyOS is highly appreciated. Apart from testing the .img variants and the options which are now integrated in the boot menu, I'm still pondering on additional methods which could be fine-tuned to meet very specific expectations.

Aware of your opinion about optical drives and iso-CDs/DVDs, I compared the 'functionality' of the current EasyOS-iso downloads with that of the previous Quirky xerus64-8.6.iso, just to discover that the latter offered fascinating options which no longer are available in the EasyOS.iso-versions.

I'm thinking of the save options which made it possible to remaster the xerus64-8.6.iso file in an easy way and of this .iso file's quality not to automatically occupy the entire drive when it is installed to a flash stick or another external device. So, taking into account the hybrid quality of the xerus64-8.6.iso and also thanks to the (enhanced) gparted 0.25.0 functionality, the space on drives (which can be removed while working) could be made available for optional save partitions. The EasyOS.iso installations do not provide this option.

I'm aware that the above-mentioned method is not foolproof, in view of security, but it offers options to users who exactly know what they want and what they do. The speed of iso-installations on external drives does not seem to markedly differ from that of .img-based alternatives. So, after all, I ask myself whether .iso files (not iso CDs/DVDs) really should be deprecated. Of course, I'm not the person to answer this question, but I'm dreaming of EasyOS.iso files which would have the same functionality as the Quirky xerus64-8.6.iso.

Might it be possible to create such iso.files? I could imagine that you dislike this option because of the involved, yet manageable, security limitations. Additionally, in view of your extreme workload, I do not expect a lot of enthusiasm. So, consider this post, first of all, a simple question!

kind regards

lp-dolittle

Rodney Byne

pupTelly buttons

#1807 Post by Rodney Byne »

Per your earlier question Barry, yes the aforementioned streams
were all audio.

This only tv one I know was posted earlier but you must have
missed it, it is a direct tv studio stream of Bloomberg from
New York - not a video but live:

https://liveproduseast.akamaized.net/us ... _live.m3u8

Subject matter is current stocks, markets, interviews with
company bigwigs and occasional world news events.
Picture quality is HD 720p

Regards, Rodney.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#1808 Post by BarryK »

Easy Pyro 1.2.3 is released:

http://bkhome.org/news/201909/easyos-py ... eased.html

Easy Buster 2.1.3 is released:

http://bkhome.org/news/201909/easyos-bu ... eased.html

Feedback welcome!

Note the to-do list here:

http://bkhome.org/news/201909/final-bug ... lease.html

@Rodney
That video URI did not make it into Pupradio, hopefully next time!

I need a break! Planning to work on my solar water distiller this week.

lp-dolittle

black screen

#1809 Post by lp-dolittle »

@ all

as for the black screen issue (after closing a laptop's lid and reopening) which was reported by ejazjv and also is mentioned in Barry's to-do list, the following remark might be helpful:

Briefly pressing the laptop's power button proves to be a simple workaround, but the operation usually needs to be repeated several times (possibly depending on the time the lid was closed) until the desktop reappears and remains persistently

Argolance

#1810 Post by Argolance »

Bonjour,
Loaded version 2.1.3 fr without any problem, everything is extremely fast.
I'm writing this message from Seamonkey.
I noticed two little things:
  • - The launch button of the ebook reader does not work
    - When multi-screen display is enabled, the desktop disk icons are hidden at the bottom of the screen by the taskbar.
I miss the network-manager-applet very much...
Thank you a lot!

(Note: it might be appropriate you update the title of the thread of the French part of the Forum and make an announcement when you publish a new version so that it is displayed at the top of the list?)

Cordialement.

Rodney Byne

PupTelly - Bloomberg

#1811 Post by Rodney Byne »

To Barry,

"@Rodney
That video URI did not make it into Pupradio, hopefully next time!"

Yes it works perfectly.
Just to recap, here's how.

Select pupTelly tab.
using default button 1 as is Crocodile, type Bloomberg into
the white Name box.
Copy & Paste the long URL into the right hand white box.
Press Watch Now and Bloomberg should play as a preview.
If it plays, press Save Preset and re-launch pupTelly.

Bloomberg will appear in Button 1 instead of Crocodile.
Job done (hopefully) - let me know.
Regards.

Rodney Byne

Rodney Byne

#1812 Post by Rodney Byne »

To Barry,

With apologies, I have belatedly found just one
more live TV streaming program for pupTelly,
it is called Dstar, a US religious service.

URL is:

https://bcsecurelivehls-i.akamaihd.net/ ... 1080p.m3u8

Regards.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#1813 Post by BarryK »

Argolance wrote:Bonjour,
Loaded version 2.1.3 fr without any problem, everything is extremely fast.
I'm writing this message from Seamonkey.
I noticed two little things:
  • - The launch button of the ebook reader does not work
    - When multi-screen display is enabled, the desktop disk icons are hidden at the bottom of the screen by the taskbar.
I miss the network-manager-applet very much...
Thank you a lot!
Ha ha, I didn't even know there is an ebook reader! Where is that in the menu?

Multi-screen, with two monitors. I have never tried it. Anyone else got that hardware setup? Are both screens the same resolution?

OK, I will post to the French thread about latest EasyOS.

scsijon

Re: rox-filer dissapearing ?bug?

#1814 Post by scsijon »

BarryK wrote:
scsijon wrote:I'm getting the rox-filer dissapearing when changing windows without reason or message.

Something along the lines like>
I created a directory in the current window;
opened geany to create a file, saved file;
changed window to do something else in another window;
switched back to the first and geany is still there, but the rox-filer has dissapeared, it's not in a different window either, nore is there something in xerrs.log or any of the other log files either.

If it was once I would take it it's me, but it's repeating.

Only extra I have loaded is the devx too, so the system shouldn't be overloaded.

EDIT: It's only the rox-filer that's behaving like this for me and i've tried quite a few other apps
I tried various things as you described, I can't get rox to disappear.

If rox actually crashed, you would lose all the desktop icons and wallpaper, and just have a black screen, with jwm still running at bottom of screen.
And it is still happening to me with the default screen settings, I shall play further and ammend this post when I have information.
EDIT1: I'm beginning to think it is related to the centre wheel/button as I can cause it when using that in another window, i'm still at it, trying to define just where it's failing or creating a fail-test.

L18L

not easy

#1815 Post by L18L »

Thought I share this:

https://getxtra-pc.io/offer-01/

It is not Easy but seems to be like Easy.
Attachments
xtra.png
(78.9 KiB) Downloaded 407 times

eowens2

#1816 Post by eowens2 »

I am having difficulty booting (from USB stick) Buster 2.1.3 (had the same problem with 2.1.1). The boot-up messages and Easy icon are present, but give way to a black screen with a cursor that is movable with the mouse for about 20-30 seconds, but after that time the cursor is frozen in place.

None of the keys on the keyboard seem active, and a power-off is required to get control of the computer.

I am using an Asus UX305F laptop, with a Core M-5Y10c processor, Intel 5300 HD graphics (Broadwell GT2) and 8 GB ram.

I had screwy graphics and mouse-cursor activity on Easy version 0.6.8, but this was pretty much corrected by using the boot parameter 'i915.modeset=1'.

But the above problems occur with and without this boot parameter, and also if I use 'nomodeset'.

If I boot with 'i915.modeset=0', the process tries to start X but drops to a command prompt. It offers to let you 'choose a driver' but then tells you it has 'fully automatic detection'. Typing 'xwin' at the prompt leads to the black screen as described above.

I can boot to a command prompt, and the system seems to be working OK, but typing 'xwin' leads to the black screen.

Any help would be appreciated.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#1817 Post by BarryK »

eowens2 wrote:I am having difficulty booting (from USB stick) Buster 2.1.3 (had the same problem with 2.1.1). The boot-up messages and Easy icon are present, but give way to a black screen with a cursor that is movable with the mouse for about 20-30 seconds, but after that time the cursor is frozen in place.

None of the keys on the keyboard seem active, and a power-off is required to get control of the computer.

I am using an Asus UX305F laptop, with a Core M-5Y10c processor, Intel 5300 HD graphics (Broadwell GT2) and 8 GB ram.

I had screwy graphics and mouse-cursor activity on Easy version 0.6.8, but this was pretty much corrected by using the boot parameter 'i915.modeset=1'.

But the above problems occur with and without this boot parameter, and also if I use 'nomodeset'.

If I boot with 'i915.modeset=0', the process tries to start X but drops to a command prompt. It offers to let you 'choose a driver' but then tells you it has 'fully automatic detection'. Typing 'xwin' at the prompt leads to the black screen as described above.

I can boot to a command prompt, and the system seems to be working OK, but typing 'xwin' leads to the black screen.

Any help would be appreciated.
Don't use that boot parameter.

Choose the boot option to bootup to commandline only, no X, then run "xorgwizard".

You should get various choices. You should be able to try 'intel' and 'modesetting', worst case, 'vesa'. Hopefully one of those will work.

eowens2

#1818 Post by eowens2 »

Barry K wrote
Choose the boot option to bootup to commandline only, no X, then run "xorgwizard".

You should get various choices. You should be able to try 'intel' and 'modesetting', worst case, 'vesa'. Hopefully one of those will work.
Booting to the CLI as you suggested, I entered 'xorgwizard' which took me to the Xorg Video Wizard. The instructions were to use the up-arrow and down-arrow keys to select a video driver, the default values being 'None' and 'Fully Automatic Detection'.

Unfortunately the up-arrow and down-arrow keys did not seem to be functional, so that the only possible choice for drivers was the default values.

The tab key is functional, so using it to select 'OK' takes me to some notes suggesting entering 'xwin' at the command prompt.

Xwin in the command prompt then takes me to the previously described black screen.

Any suggestions?

Equatorial Denizen

Easy 2.1.3

#1819 Post by Equatorial Denizen »

My Innostor 32 GB USB Key is rated "83" by EasyDD.

So each boot up is a bit slow but fine, on my old INSPIRON

Previously, ASTRILL (DEB 64 bit) would load, but would not or could not channel any internet traffic

I read something about DEB packages not being totally comfortable with Easy or vice-versa.

So I used the RPM 64 bit package. This time, ASTRILL does channel internet traffic generated by Firefox browser.

However, my Newshosting traffic bypasses completely ASTRILL, in Easy (all versions tested). This does not happen with SCPUP64.

By the way, Deadbeef 1.8.1 from the repository works fine and produces punchy bass notes. Very nice.

As a final note, I would like to report that my LaCIE USB-C external disk works fine with the current Easy, and that it cannot be mounted by SCPUP19.06+5, though it worked with earlier versions.

Thank you for a job well done !

Greetings from the Equator ... :
;

eowens2

#1820 Post by eowens2 »

Here is a little more info regarding the Easy Buster 2.1.3 'Boot to Black Screen' problem described above.

On initial attempts, in the boot process, I pressed 'Enter' to select a US keyboard.

I then re-installed Easy 2.1.3 to the USB stick, and during boot entered '44' to select a US keyboard.

In both instances, in the Xorg Video Wizard dialogue, the Tab key works, but the up-arrow and down-arrow keys fail to change the option in the driver field, making he default value 'NONE - Fully Automatic Detection' the only choice, which, as described, leads to the black screen.

I should add that on this computer the up-arrow and down-arrow keys work as intended on several other Linux distros.