Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 31 Jul 2014, 09:44
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Which Window Manager for Puppy Viz?
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [24 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2

Which WM for Puppy Viz?
IceWm
29%
 29%  [ 15 ]
JWM
17%
 17%  [ 9 ]
Xfce
7%
 7%  [ 4 ]
IceWm and JWM
45%
 45%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 51

Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Mon 12 Mar 2007, 07:56    Post subject:  

rarsa wrote:
I am also on the IceWM + JWM camp.

I find that IceWM will be the favourite visually. I like it a lot but I find that configuring JWM is easier.

I vote for asking the user at first boot explaining that one is nicer to look at and the other better for older computers. (maybe only ask this if the computer has low memory or a slow processor)

Even if after a while people realize that the actual functionality of most WMs is fairly the same, still most people get their first perception of a distro based in their look and performance (not too ugly, not too slow).

For faster computers (faster than a tortoise it is) then the preformance diference is not preceptible so having IceWM as the default makes sense.

For slow computers there is a choice to be made between looks and performance, let the user decide.

I agree except that I don't think IceWM is that slow on most machines nowadays; Deli Linux utilises it as its default window manager and that's a distro intended exclusively for older computers. Maybe have IceWM as the default with JWM included as a "switch-to" option from the menu (IceWM allows switching to other WMs "on the fly").
cb88

PostPosted: Mon 12 Mar 2007, 09:21    Post subject:  

rarsa wrote:
>I vote for asking the user at first boot explaining that one is nicer to look at and the other better for older
>computers. (maybe only ask this if the computer has low memory or a slow processor)

cb88
I like the idea, but IMHO puppy should never use minimaist questions which is some thing that loads of people strongly dislike about windows. Something like a list of installed window managers and a description of their features would be much better

IceWM: Stable Lightwieght Themeable Better looking
JWM: Better for older computers only basic themability
XFCE: Clean Mac-like? (I never really used it or a Mac)
ect...

Could puppy auto detect installed window managers or do the unleashed build scripts write a file that defines the window managers?
I have never used unleashed. Would this make adding/removing Wm from an official puppy or derivative easier?
jason.b.c

PostPosted: Mon 12 Mar 2007, 10:44    Post subject:  

This one is interesting...

http://ozonegui.net/

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger 
rarsa

PostPosted: Mon 12 Mar 2007, 11:20    Post subject:  

bostonvaulter wrote:
Xfce... I'm using it right now without XDG support.
Why? I've provided support for Xfce. you just need to install it.
bostonvaulter

PostPosted: Mon 12 Mar 2007, 14:09    Post subject:  

well i installed the base from
http://puppyfiles.org/dotpupsde/dotpups/WindowManagers/Xfce-4.2.3.2/xfce-4.2.3.2-base.pup

and then i installed the xdg files from here.
http://puppyfiles.org/dotpupsde/dotpups/WindowManagers/XDG-Menusystem/wm-specific/xfce-xdgmenu-0.7.6.tar.gz

and when i run fixmenus it only updates jwm and icewm. Am i missing something?
rarsa

PostPosted: Mon 12 Mar 2007, 15:45    Post subject:  

bostonvaulter wrote:
and when i run fixmenus it only updates jwm and icewm. Am i missing something?
Yes, you are. And I know what your problem is.

My implementation of XDG predates Barry's implementation. Our implementations difer in some core points, the most radical being how we categorized the applications. Long story and hopefully something that will be resolved soon.

I have been scratching my head to find a way to cleanly merge both categorizations so his menu structure can work with alternative menu structures as mine does.

If you are not planning to work 100% in Xfce and not go back and forth between JWM and Xfce, you could install my xdg menu puppy structure package

bostonvaulter

PostPosted: Mon 12 Mar 2007, 16:51    Post subject:  

okay, thanks for the reply.

Maybe i can work out a way to have two menus or something. I've also been trying to work on the XDG part of the wiki, but I need to be able to wrap my head around it first.

Jason
Nathan F

PostPosted: Mon 12 Mar 2007, 16:59    Post subject:  

Quote:
Could puppy auto detect installed window managers or do the unleashed build scripts write a file that defines the window managers?
Interesting you mention this, because I implemented it in Grafpup about a month ago. Basically each WM appends a line to the file /etc/wmlist, and a small gui is available to change your default desktop environment. It works with unleashed, and it works if a WM is installed after the fact.

I only mention it because you brought it up.

Nathan

amish

PostPosted: Mon 12 Mar 2007, 19:22    Post subject:  

i'm in the ice+jwm camp, i don't care which is default because the benefits of ice are such heavy ones, and yet the reason i haven't switched to it is one simple feature: two click (right then left) kill on apps in jwm. in ice it takes a bit more than that, pity.

so i stick with jwm for that single feature, and when i use grafpup 104 (ice by default) i miss it. either default, meh.

Quote:
This one is interesting...

http://ozonegui.net/

i've linked to ozonegui from my website for a long time! it's a very cool gui- you can write apps for it that will then work in the same dos, linux, or windows environment without being ported.

but this is really less analogous to jwm or ice, ozonegui is more like gtk or qt, you know? the dos version at least seems to have some wm features in it, and i love it. seal or seal2 (a dos thing) by comparison, sucks. glad someone mentioned it tho. i'm not sure how big it would be in puppy, but someday an ozonepup (or a .pet for the ozone gui) would be neat to see. i care more about murgalua, however.
Page 2 of 2 [24 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: