palemoon browser

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
darry19662018

#821 Post by darry19662018 »

I think I'll run icecat from now on runs well on later Puppies like Buster and Devuan based Puduan 6 .
Puppy Linux Wiki: [url]http://wikka.puppylinux.com/HomePage[/url]

[url]https://freemedia.neocities.org/[/url]

Mike Walsh

#822 Post by Mike Walsh »

Some important info about Palemoon for Linux 32-bit

Well, I created an a/c on the Palemoon Forum this evening, and have already made a few contributions.....and, in my turn, have received some interesting info.

I have been informed that the combination of Glib/glibc/GTK requirements, and the GCC version used to compile it, is now going to remain 'fixed' for the remainder of the lifetime of the 32-bit version releases. Not quite certain how long that will continue for, but from what I can gather the 32-bit version will, eventually, be dropped in favour of 64-bit only.

(Which is hardly unexpected, since it's the direction many developers/applications are already heading in. We'll just have to wait and see, I guess; I would assume the 32-bit 'compile' option could conceivably remain open, since the source-code itself will still remain available.)

"Pale Moon 28.7.0 was the odd man out due to the adhoc and emergency nature of which it was produced. 28.7.1 is now using GCC 4.9 and requires at least glibc 2.12 also GTK 2.24. This will be maintained for the lifetime of Pale Moon for Linux 32bit. So whatever last minute workarounds and procedures a few distros did for 28.7.0 are not required going forward."
You're all as wise as I am now. :D

Mike. :wink:

Mike Walsh

#823 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, all.

A 'tip' for some of you:-

Anyone who (like me) is running UPup 'Raring' and the Palemoon browser may have noticed that since the upgrade to 28.7.0/1, the browser no longer wants to start. (Again...)

Upon investigating, this appears to be down to the version of libstdc++ in use, which is triggering the 'XPCom GlueLoad' error. Simply put, it's too old. Raring's GLib/glibc/GTK stuff is well above the Palemoon 'minimum requirements', but the libstdc++ needs upgrading.....something that we're starting to notice needs doing more & more often now with older Puppies.

Therefore I'm providing a .pet to do just this, utilising the libstdc++ from Tahrpup, which is new enough to permit functionality once again. You can find it HERE, if required.

ac2011

#824 Post by ac2011 »

I read through the thread on the Pale Moon forum and I'd still say "Thanks" to New Tobin Paradigm. He's known for being a bit fiery and has self-banned from that forum for a sabbatical over his own previous outbursts.

In this case I think he's made his point fairly and it's his opinion (and not only his opinion, by far). I'm grateful that he's taken up where Travis left off. I still have a Puppy install that benefits from 32-bit Pale Moon and would be something of a faff to leave behind.

tallboy

#825 Post by tallboy »

This is great news. I am writing this from a 64-bit PM 28.7.1 in a Tahr64-6.0.6, which actually was booted off a functioning live multisession CD-R. I will test with the 32-bit Tahr-6.0.6, and see if I can make the PM work there too. The 32-bit Tahr-6.0.6 is only non-PAE version, so I will 'downgrade' to the older 3.14.11_PAE kernel, I have little RAM but plenty swap.

Mike, can your portable 32-bit 28.7.1 Palemoons be built to work on even older Puppys?
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

sindi

PM 28.7.1 working in Racy thanks to Mike Walsh

#826 Post by sindi »

The links to glibc 2.20 upgrade were broken so Mike kindly put together a package including three GCC deps, binutils, glibc and gcc upgrades. I needed more than 192MB save file (I chose 256MB) in Racy 5.5, but no other pets/libraries were needed (in fact libffi broke things). PM (27.9.4 and later) was getting libstdc++ errors (before the glibc update) but no longer does (without Mike's libstdc++ update package for other puppy). PM 28.7.1 is working perfectly so far including Youtube.

This ought to also work in Wary, on an HP DV5000 with screwy nvidia video, where puppies with kernel 3 have not displayed X and where I have needed Win7 (!) to post to and view photos at the latest ebay.

sindi

ebay problem with pm 28.7.1 in Racy 5.5 with glibc update

#827 Post by sindi »

Sign in is greyed out. Do I need a newer glibc or something?

sindi

signin at ebay not working (grey) in PM 27.9.4 28.6.1 28.7.1

#828 Post by sindi »

Would someone with more free hard drive space test racy with Palemoon for signing in to ebay? Seamonkey 2.12 (from Sept 2012) does sign in.

Mike Walsh

#829 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Olaf.
tallboy wrote:This is great news. I am writing this from a 64-bit PM 28.7.1 in a Tahr64-6.0.6, which actually was booted off a functioning live multisession CD-R. I will test with the 32-bit Tahr-6.0.6, and see if I can make the PM work there too. The 32-bit Tahr-6.0.6 is only non-PAE version, so I will 'downgrade' to the older 3.14.11_PAE kernel, I have little RAM but plenty swap.

Mike, can your portable 32-bit 28.7.1 Palemoons be built to work on even older Puppys?
Well, it'll certainly run in Tahr 6.0.6 "as is". Ditto for Precise 571, Slacko 560 & 570. Racy is using watchdog's 'workaround' he cooked up for Wary (Racy being known as 'Wary on steroids', of course).

I've got various other 'tweaked' versions kicking around. Raring is currently using one of those, because I found that by simply upgrading the libstdc++, although Palemoon then fired up, it broke certain other apps.....SMPlayer being one of these, and which I cannot live without!

You know yourself, I've been using Pups for around 5 years, about the time Tahrpup appeared on the scene. I've played extensively with the 5-series, though until Darry published his re-vamped 431 - the 'Phoenix'! - I'd had nothing to do with the 4-series at all.....and the 2- and 3-series Pups are a mystery to me.

We only got 28.6.1 running in 431 through the use of a chroot 'jail', which watchdog kindly provided me to try. It's quite a large package, since you're essentially running a 'virgin' Precise 571 as the chroot environment within 431 itself. Which, of course, makes 431 a whole lot larger.....but it does work.

(I then took the idea a step further, and got a recent Chromium 'clone', Iron 69, running in 431 by the same method.....except that my chroot 'jail' was based on Tahrpup; it's the oldest Pup that will run Iron 69 without a lot of fuss. I also got FF68esr running, too, and Tahr's built-in VLC and SimpleScreenRecorder running in 431 as well!)

------------------------------------------

Lucid, unfortunately, is a weird one. Through much experimentation over the last 2-3 years, I've found that there's something fundamentally 'wonky' about Lucid's 'X'-server set-up. A lot of stuff that can be 'persuaded' to run in both later (and earlier) Pups just won't behave itself in Lucid.

The chrooted Iron 69 will run happily. FF68esr, although it fires up, defaults to a black screen, and nothing I could do would make it display correctly. Same for Tahrpup's VLC. I didn't bother with the chrooted SimpleScreenRecorder, since watchdog put together an 0.33 package that runs natively in Lucid....

------------------------------------------

It's one of those things that need investigating on a Pup-by-Pup basis, I think. There's several different tweaks & workarounds that can be tried, although my personal kennels has a lot of stuff you wouldn't find in most folks' installs, so it's not easy to test stuff out without running each one with 'pfix=ram' to try things out. And I've got 11 of the little darlings ATM.....

Mike Walsh

#830 Post by Mike Walsh »

Ebay sign-in works for me running 28.7.1 in Racy 5.5. I was browsing on there only last night, and my own set-up auto-logs me in via LastPass. I think if there was anything fundamentally wrong, that functionality wouldn't behave itself, and it wouldn't have logged me in.....

As for those 'glibc-2.20' packages of battleshooter's, credit for putting them together rests with him. All I've done is to assemble the relevant packages into a single archive together with a 'Read-me' file; Russoodle grabbed as much as (s)he could when meownplanet went tits-up a few years back, though everything's rather jumbled up (although still 'rescued'). You have to go through the listings with a fine tooth-comb if you're trying to locate specific packages.

(Credit to Robert123 (no longer with us) for locating them after the original links were discovered to be 'duds'.)

I simply figured it would make things easier for this particular operation, at least, if all the necessary .pets were assembled into a single archived tarball.....

If anybody else wants them, you can find 'em at my MediaFire a/c, here:-

http://www.mediafire.com/file/aknc42dda ... ar.gz/file

Help yourselves!

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Mon 16 Sep 2019, 18:44, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Walsh

#831 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ sindi:-

Right. This doesn't get any easier than this. PAY ATTENTION....

Download this tweaked PM 28.7.1 package of watchdog's from here:-

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pv7VlG ... sp=sharing

Put it where you can access it.

Fire up a brand-new copy of Racy 5.5. Click that Palemoon 28.7.1-tweak package to install it. Once installed, go to the Menu and launch it.

It'll fire straight up.

I'm in a 'live-session' of Racy 5.5 now. Using this Palemoon package. And.....I've just signed-in, manually, to my eBay a/c.

(I'm guessing watchdog has re-built the .pet again, because the post where it's found:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 93#1035893

.....has been edited just this morning, and the information added that the glib upgrade stuff is no longer required.)

You don't even need libffi.

So; say 'Thank you, watchdog'..!

Posting this from it now. I dare you to tell me this doesn't work. If it doesn't, and you still can't access your eBay a/c, then there is either something VERY wrong with your hardware, or eBay have temporarily suspended you for whatever reason. 'Cos I have never, ever seen the eBay login 'greyed-out', the way you're describing it. Stat.

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Tue 17 Sep 2019, 17:05, edited 1 time in total.

nic007

#832 Post by nic007 »

Watchdog's Palemoon 28.6.1-tweak works for me in Racy 5.5, Precise 5.7.1 and Tahr 6.0.5 as sfs-addons, don't even have to install the pet. Haven't checked version 28.7.1

sindi

Racy also needs libdbus and libdbus-glib, not just glibc

#833 Post by sindi »

I installed libdbus and libdbus-glib pets from ibiblio (the package manager did not offer them) followed by all the glibc upgrade files assembled by mike and I can now sign into ebay without the need for the tweaked package. The newer glibc etc. may prove useful for other things, besides making for smaller downloads each time PM updates and smaller save file (since I run browsers from outside the file system of puppy, and share the browsers among puppy versions).

It is lovely to have two ways to browse with the latest Palemoon.

Mike Walsh

#834 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ sindi:-

Well, so long as it's working for you (regardless of the approach that got you there!), that's the main thing. Glad I was able, on this occasion, to help.

tallboy

#835 Post by tallboy »

I write this in 32-bit Tahr 6.0.6, with Mike's portable Palemoon updated to 28.7.1. Absolutely no problems at all! I have also managed to save to my multisession CD-R with this 32-bit version of 6.90.6 too, but I'll switch to a PAE kernel now and see if all still works, I'll report back.
Mike, snailmail coming. :D

BTW, it is very nice to open a normal TahrPup, and see that all folders and files are where they are supposed to be, instead of the latest woof-CE creations that totally turn a Puppy's internals upside down... :? A remastered and shrunk Tahr that can run a modern browser, may be my favorite Puppy for a long time. :D
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

sindi

PM28.7.1 works in Racy 5.5 with glibc update on HP DV5000

#836 Post by sindi »

On my 2007 HP DV5000 with really annoying nvidia video, that will not run Precise, Slacko, Tahr etc. only puppies 4, lupu, and wary (because of scrambled X), I can now use PM 28 without Windows!!!!

Wary full with all the library updates runs tweaked (2.19) PM 28.7, but not regular PM 28
(libX11-xfb.so error), presumably because the two approaches are incompatible (a mix of libraries of different ages).

Racy with 512MB save file and with the updates and without the tweaked PM runs PM 28.7.1 (auto updated from 28.6.1) in a separate directory outside the save file. So there is no need to download and install a new tweaked PM for each new version. The auto update just makes a few changes to my existing PM directory.

Every single word that I am typing here has a red squiggly underline under it. ???? is not underlined, or numbers. I turned off spellchecker and will restart PM.

Youtube and ebay work properly (so far).

I discovered that although wary/racy will not work with fbcon and vga=790 (which is 316) and fbcon, I can specify vga=317 to get small text in a virtual terminal. (Hopefully this will also work with Sulu on a DELL B130 where lupu with 2.6 kernel does not work right).

Finally I can give friends 2003-5 internet laptops again to use with their free apartment signals.

Mike Walsh

#837 Post by Mike Walsh »

tallboy wrote:I write this in 32-bit Tahr 6.0.6, with Mike's portable Palemoon updated to 28.7.1. Absolutely no problems at all! I have also managed to save to my multisession CD-R with this 32-bit version of 6.90.6 too, but I'll switch to a PAE kernel now and see if all still works, I'll report back.
Mike, snailmail coming. :D

BTW, it is very nice to open a normal TahrPup, and see that all folders and files are where they are supposed to be, instead of the latest woof-CE creations that totally turn a Puppy's internals upside down... :? A remastered and shrunk Tahr that can run a modern browser, may be my favorite Puppy for a long time. :D
Glad to hear it's doing what you want from it. With regard to the 'snailmail', well; as & when, mate. No rush. It'll turn up in its own good time..!

---------------------------------
sindi wrote:On my 2007 HP DV5000 with really annoying nvidia video, that will not run Precise, Slacko, Tahr etc. only puppies 4, lupu, and wary (because of scrambled X), I can now use PM 28 without Windows!!!!

....<snip>....

Racy with 512MB save file and with the updates and without the tweaked PM runs PM 28.7.1 (auto updated from 28.6.1) in a separate directory outside the save file. So there is no need to download and install a new tweaked PM for each new version. The auto update just makes a few changes to my existing PM directory.

....<snip>....

Finally I can give friends 2003-5 internet laptops again to use with their free apartment signals.
---------------------------------

That's what I like to hear. Happy Puppians..! Makes things worthwhile doing.

If what I've learnt over on the PaleMoon Forum has any substance to it, the build environment for the 32-bit releases is not going to be changing for the forseeable future.....same compiler version, same tool-chain version, etc, etc. So, hopefully the new few releases will just auto-update without any issues.....but I've made statements along those kinda lines about other things before now, and they've gone to pot.

We shall see.

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Tue 17 Sep 2019, 21:48, edited 1 time in total.

sindi

PM28 works with Racy on 2004 ASUS M5000NP

#838 Post by sindi »

ASUS M5000NP, 512MB proprietary RAM, 40GB HD (replaced it), dead CMOS battery.
Slacko 5.7 displays X with the bottom half of the screen vertical colored stripes.
Lupu525 crashes if you switch to a VT. Lupu2016 had some other problem.
Wary is missing the screen bottom on X and the left sides of dialog boxes.
Debiandog Wheezy works but ipw2200 is not yet working (and a few of the libraries are a bit old and things may not display correctly online). Jessie goes blank with PM.
Puppy 4.31 works but not with Palemoon 28.
I did not try Precise. Tahr wants more RAM.
Racy 5.5 works perfectly, with the updates and PM, and on this laptop does not underline every word I am typing with red wavy line.

The video is Intel 855GM, also found on Gateway 200ARC (2003), DELL 5150 (2003),
while 2004 ACER 4001LCi has 855GME and IBM T42 has 855GMP, none of which worked in any other puppy. 852GMV in the DELL 1150 is said to be similar.

I am surprised that RACY for newer hardware works better than WARY on older video.

tallboy

#839 Post by tallboy »

I changed the kernel in a 32-bit Tahr-6.0.6, to be able to address all the memory in the swap partition. I used the 3.14.11_PAE kernel. I used the ISOmaster iso file editor to open the Tahr .iso, replaced the wmlinuz and zdrv .sfs with those from the new kernel, saved the new .iso, and burned it to a CD-R. The new 6.0.6 would not recognize my 22" wide screen and use the 1680x1050 resolution despite the Nouveau drivers being present, it would not find a net at all, and the sound icon in the tray was crossed out. So no luck in downloading a Palemoon 28 to the PC. As in sindi's case, Tahr wants more RAM to be able to run on a 512Mb PC, X don't start at all. Interesting what you say about Racy, it was blistering fast on one old P4, compared to other Puppys and PC's!
Last edited by tallboy on Tue 17 Sep 2019, 20:13, edited 3 times in total.

8Geee

#840 Post by 8Geee »

sindi:

might need to replace that CMOS batt !
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."