Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 03 Apr 2020, 16:31
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Puppy Power
Videos to promote and teach Puppy
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [24 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Enrique Corbellini

PostPosted: Wed 18 Sep 2019, 13:55    Post subject:  

nic007 wrote:
I was thinking about making a fully automatic install script with no user input. May attempt it some day.

That would be great. One of the most difficult parts of this teaching is to tell the user to do the installing by himself. I know some programming but I probably won't have enough time to create that script by myself.
But I also found some resistance in people, to try puppy even when only having to use the pendrive already prepared. Many users are made to believe everything new related to their computer must be done by a technician, not by themselves. Affortunately, one of my partners used a facebook service to test which kind of persons in the world may be interested in using something like puppylinux, and the result was mostly universitarian students and professionals. That means my public promises to be thoughtfull people and that makes the job easier since not having to explain too many things.
Enrique Corbellini

PostPosted: Wed 18 Sep 2019, 17:11    Post subject:  

mikeslr wrote:
I would recommend that you examine radky's dpup-stretch, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=974590#974590 as a candidate for the 'demo' Puppy. [Ignore it's RC disclaimer. radky is a perfectionist. I am unaware of any significant bugs. Some other Dev would have already declare it "Final"].

It looks like very, very interesting. But now I took some minutes to run it, and when starting with the strecht .iso installed in a pendrive, the first thing that shows is this image (and doesn't do anything else). I don't know what error is that.
strecht--Error.jpg
Description 
jpg

Download 
Filename  strecht--Error.jpg 
Filesize  67.87 KB 
Downloaded  157 Time(s) 
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Wed 18 Sep 2019, 17:15    Post subject:  

Once again, I find myself agreeing with Mike.

Ye anciente Dell lappie was, until recently, dual-booting Precise 571 and UPup Raring. Recently, I've wiped, re-formatted, and this time using the sub-directory approach (with a small, separate boot partition - just for the hell of it!), have gone with my long-term favourite, Slacko 560.....and radky's DPup Stretch.

Slacko, I've had on there before. Stretch is a new-comer to the Dell.....but it runs amazingly well. Curiously, it's the very first Puppy I've ever run on the Dell which actually recognises the fan sensor in the gKrellM desktop PC monitor app, and gives varying readouts of the fan speed. Slacko 560 is running on the same hardware, and running the same current, up-to-date version of gKrellM.....but that fan readout just will not show up.

Unless, of course, there's additional software required for it to do so....

I'll definitely recommend DPup Stretch for elderly hardware, though. It deserves a 'thumbs-up'!

Mike. Wink

mikeslr

PostPosted: Thu 19 Sep 2019, 11:59    Post subject: Problem booting dpup-stretch  

Hi Enrique,

Your screenshot shows that the bootloader is trying to load into RAM the vesamenu rather than dpup’s vmlinuz, then initrd.gz. AFAIK, vesamenu is only used when booting from a CD/DVD*. How did you install dpup-stretch? From what operating system? Using what application? Which wrote what boot-loader? What is the text of your bootmenu or grub.cfg or isolinux.cfg or similar?

*Does the bootloader’s ‘menu’ have the argument pmedia=cd? It shouldn’t. [This is a common problem when Unetbootin was used. It doesn't understand Puppies]. Since you’re booting from a USB-Stick it’s argument should be pmedia=usbflash or not there at all. See below.

My dpup is in a folder on my computer's 2nd hard-drive, booted using grub4dos. The relevant section of grub4dos's menu.lst is:

title Puppy stretch 7.5 (sdb1/dpup)
uuid 0514a85a-bf73-45c4-90db-6bc28b8ff3b8
kernel /dpup/vmlinuz psubdir=dpup pmedia=ataflash pfix=fsck
initrd /dpup/initrd.gz

The first line is just the title. It’s for your reading benefit enabling you to make choices; ignored by the bootloader. It could be anything, e.g. “Boot me’.

The second line instructs the bootloader on which drive and partition to look. In the above example it specifies that by its UUID name. On a computer configured to boot from a USB-stick first, it could be simply written as root (hd0,0) – which translates to set the root to “first drive, first partition”. A great alternative would be

find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /puppy_stretch_7.5.sfs

which tells the boot-loader to search all drives and partitions until it finds the puppy_stretch_7.5.sfs file, then set the root to the drive and partition on which that file was found.

Having set the ‘root’ the bootloader then copies from it into RAM the vmlinuz identified by the 3rd “kernel” line. Grub2 would, and other bootloaders may, start that line with the term linux rather than kernel. In the above example /dpup/vmlinuz tells it to look in the dpup folder for the desired vmlinuz. The other arguments on that line are ‘helpers’ or serve other purposes; but often “kernel /dpup/vmlinuz”/”linux /dpup/vmlinuz” [or if Puppy is at the root of the device rather than in a folder “kernel/vmlinuz”/linux/vmlinuz”] is all that is necessary.

The fourth line specifies from where to copy the initrd (initial RAM disk) into RAM. A Puppy’s initrd contains the instructions about what to do next.

All bootloader 'menus' are similar as their functions are the same. Booting from a USB-stick under grub2, with dpup's files in a folder named “dpup” the grub.cfg file could be as simple as:

menuentry "Boot me" {
root (hd0,0)
linux /dpup/vmlinuz
initrd /dpup/initrd.gz
}
Enrique Corbellini

PostPosted: Sat 21 Sep 2019, 14:03    Post subject: Re: Problem booting dpup-stretch  

Hi Mikeslr

mikeslr wrote:
Your screenshot shows that the bootloader is trying to load into RAM the vesamenu rather than dpup’s vmlinuz, then initrd.gz. AFAIK, vesamenu is only used when booting from a CD/DVD*. How did you install dpup-stretch? From what operating system? Using what application? Which wrote what boot-loader? What is the text of your bootmenu or grub.cfg or isolinux.cfg or similar?
*Does the bootloader’s ‘menu’ have the argument pmedia=cd? It shouldn’t. [This is a common problem when Unetbootin was used. It doesn't understand Puppies]. Since you’re booting from a USB-Stick it’s argument should be pmedia=usbflash or not there at all. See below.

"From what operating system?" from windows using Rufus and Yumi
"grub.cfg" it's more or less like xenial.pup's one but it never reads it since the problem that appears occures before.

I tried to install dpup-stretch both from a usb-stick and from a CD, both times gave the same message I showed before: vesamenu.c32: not a COM32R image

then I tried to install it again into the pendrive changing the installer, first time I used YUMI, second time RUFUS (with the same result). Finally I tried LICK, but Windows refused opening it saying it was "dangerous software".
I really don't like to obtain no results when doing something with the computer so I insisted. I looked for another version of dpup-stretch (I suposse an older one), tried dpup-stretch-700-DELUXE.iso, installing it with Rufus, and everything went all right. But, this stretch version doesn't have the qualities you mentioned me (specially those I mostly need, related to having access to google Drive trough its browser).

mikeslr wrote:
My dpup is in a folder on my computer's 2nd hard-drive, booted using grub4dos. The relevant section of grub4dos's menu.lst is:
title Puppy stretch 7.5 (sdb1/dpup)
uuid 0514a85a-bf73-45c4-90db-6bc28b8ff3b8
kernel /dpup/vmlinuz psubdir=dpup pmedia=ataflash pfix=fsck
initrd /dpup/initrd.gz
The first line is just the title. It’s for your reading benefit enabling you to make choices; ignored by the bootloader. It could be anything, e.g. “Boot me’.
The second line instructs the bootloader on which drive and partition to look. In the above example it specifies that by its UUID name. On a computer configured to boot from a USB-stick first, it could be simply written as root (hd0,0) – which translates to set the root to “first drive, first partition”. A great alternative would be
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /puppy_stretch_7.5.sfs
which tells the boot-loader to search all drives and partitions until it finds the puppy_stretch_7.5.sfs file, then set the root to the drive and partition on which that file was found.
Having set the ‘root’ the bootloader then copies from it into RAM the vmlinuz identified by the 3rd “kernel” line. Grub2 would, and other bootloaders may, start that line with the term linux rather than kernel. In the above example /dpup/vmlinuz tells it to look in the dpup folder for the desired vmlinuz. The other arguments on that line are ‘helpers’ or serve other purposes; but often “kernel /dpup/vmlinuz”/”linux /dpup/vmlinuz” [or if Puppy is at the root of the device rather than in a folder “kernel/vmlinuz”/linux/vmlinuz”] is all that is necessary.
The fourth line specifies from where to copy the initrd (initial RAM disk) into RAM. A Puppy’s initrd contains the instructions about what to do next.

I already know what you tell me here. Excepting the meaning of the fourth line initrd. I got accostumed to use those files caring to have all of them but without knowing their exact purpose. Thanks for the information.

Maybe when I have more time to dedicate for experimenting I'll find a way to use this last version of dpup-strecth (I assumed you mean the one named stretch-7.5-uefi-k4.1.48.iso , this is the one than doesn't work for my both PCs, a portable HP and a old desk PC).
The rest of this week I'll continue using xenialpup. I found Rufus could be better than using Yumi, because it's easier to manage, but Yumi accepts putting more than one .iso in the same pendrive.
I also made another video, and know I have to send letters to the public to see the acceptance of this proposal. I'll be receiving more suggestions and proposals from puppy linux users who want to give opinions. Everything of this is like an special adventure to me, feel free to participate in this project as you considere appropiate.
mikeslr

PostPosted: Sat 21 Sep 2019, 22:22    Post subject: rufus & dpup-stretch  

Sorry Enrique,

I don't know what could have gone wrong. I booted into Windows 7 and used the latest rufus -version 3.8- from here, https://rufus.ie/ to install first stretch-7.5-uefi-k4.19.56.iso then stretch-7.5-uefi-k4.1.48.iso both from the links here, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=974590#974590 to a USB-Stick. In both instances, I was able to boot into dpup-stretch 7.5 from that Stick. With USB-port set as the first device to boot from, the device booted and provided choices, the first of which "Start stretch 7.5" was chosen and booted to desktop after I accepted the default display option.

Examining the contents of the USB-Stick, it appears that the displayed menu was grub.cfg. isolinux.cfg, which includes instructions for the vesamenu.c32, and arguments pmedia=cd, provided more boot options, but as I suspect is present in the ISO if it were to be burned to a CD/DVD.

Bootings were successful despite that there is something wrong with the USB-Stick. When plugged into a USB-port while running a different Puppy, it does not auto-mount. If I format it using gparted and set the boot-flag, gparted then indicates it's not readable. So for the first rufus test I just formatted it as fat32 and did not set the boot flag. Despite that, rufus did it own formatting to fat32 and, as said, created a bootable Stick. For the second, I just let rufus reformat and overwrite the first version installed, which again created a bootable Stick.

I do not have a computer using UEFI to boot. So I can't test that. As I said a post or two ago, I don't know why on your system rufus creates a system which tries to open vesamenu.c32.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 22 Sep 2019, 06:05    Post subject:  

@ Enrique/Mike:-

Thought of trying a 'quick & dirty' install to that stick? (I.e., re-format the stick to, say, ext3; set the boot flag; just copy over the contents of the ISO to the stick; run Grub4DOS, selecting the stick and ticking the 'Search only this device' checkbox?)

Bearing in mind my own attempts to get a replacement stick for my SanDisk Cruzer 'Blades' up-and-running, it might be interesting to see how the BIOS on both those machines sees that stick.

- If it sees the stick as 'USB-HDD', well, you're in with a shout.

- If the stick is seen as 'USB-ZIP0', then you may have to do things a different way. Certainly, my own machines refuse point-blank to have anything to do with a USB stick recognised in that manner.

Still begs the question as to why Enrique's boxes are coming up with the 'Vesamenu.c32' thing when attempting to boot; like Mike, my own install of DPup 'Stretch' went without a hitch the first time out.....and my boxes are, respectively, 15 & 17 yrs old.

Just an idea, FWIW.

---------------------------

@ Enrique:-

With regard to accessing Google Drive via the browser, any reasonably modern browser ought to be capable of doing that. However, we do have other options; Fredx181 has come up with a 2-pane file manager that allows you to access and manage your Google Drive without having to open a browser at all.

It makes use of APIs which Google have long had in place specifically for that very purpose, although there are rumours that said APIs will be phased out within the next couple of years.....

If you're interested, you can find them here:-

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112322

Mike. Wink

mikeslr

PostPosted: Sun 22 Sep 2019, 14:59    Post subject: rufus install of dpup-stretch will boot on UEFI computer  

Hi again Enrique,

My wife has me very well trained. Several years ago I attempted a frugal install of Puppy with grub4dos as bootloader on her, then, Toshiba Laptop. Eventually, I had to install Ubuntu, which she never used, merely to have it's grub2 bootloader so that she could boot into Windows. So I've been banned from touching her now Windows 10 new Laptop employing UEFI Sad, except when something goes wrong and she needs my assistance. Rolling Eyes Frankly, when I wrote my last post it didn't occur to me that there was a UEFI computer available.

But, today she went out to a 'Street-fair'. I figured I could surreptitiously see if dpup-stretch on the USB-Key I mentioned above would boot from her laptop. Smile I almost got away with it. She returned early and seeing me at her computer gave me several minutes of grief. Laughing

However, not before dpup-stretch successfully booted to desktop. One thing I noticed which may relate to the problem you've had with rufus. For a few seconds before presenting the boot-choice menu, there was a message on the screen I think relating to vesamenu. I took no action and the boot-choices menu appeared.

My wife's laptop has a powerful CPU and plenty of RAM. Perhaps on a less powerful computer the initial message, whatever it was, would have taken a considerable time before booting, with its display of boot-choice, would have kicked in.

In short, next time you try to boot a rufus prepared USB-Stick and the message appears, just wait.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 22 Sep 2019, 15:27    Post subject:  

The only other thing that comes to mind is that your download of DPup Stretch 7.5 could of course simply be a 'bad' one. Do you check md5sums, etc., to confirm if a download is good or not?

This could explain why it's trying to load vesamenu and is popping up that error message, telling you that it's not a COM32R image..... Could be corrupted. It happens more often than you'd realise, especially when you do everything by wireless, rather than eth0.

Mike. Wink

Page 2 of 2 [24 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Puppy Power
Jump to: