Anyone got nullmailer MTA working successfully?

Using applications, configuring, problems
chapchap70

Anyone got nullmailer MTA working successfully?

#1 Post by chapchap70 »

All I wanted to do is to send email from my linux box (FatDog 710 if that makes a difference) through to the smtp server at port 587 and have it state that it came from my webmaster@mywebsite.com email address.

I configured nullmailer and sent a test msg through to my smtp account and finally got a 250 response which means it (and subsequent test msgs) was accepted for delivery. The email header stated that the message was from root@my_laptop.my_laptop though and I never received the messages. I finally submitted a ticket to the email service and after a few back and forths, he was able to determine that the logs on his end gave a 450 code
status=deferred (host xxxx said: 450 4.1.8 <root@mylaptop.mylaptop>: Sender address rejected: Domain not found (in reply to MAIL FROM command))
It would have been nice if the host would check if my address was good before accepting delivery. Maybe this is normal; I can't say, due to lack of experience.

The best I could do to get my address to appear as if it was from webmaster@mywebsite.com instead of root@my_laptop.my_laptop by changing configs and hostfiles was webmaster@my_laptop.mywebsite.com The only way I was able to get emails through so I could read them through my email client was to change my actual computername to mywebsite.com :?

There has got to be a way for some sort of rewrite so that local emails can have a regular email address on them. I don't think I am understanding hosts and hostname files. Come to think of it, I had to reboot to get the proper name to send emails. I assume having my computer name as a FQDN is a bad idea because of security issues? What am I not understanding about setting hostnames?

Edited poorly written paragraph.
Last edited by chapchap70 on Fri 09 Jun 2017, 01:29, edited 1 time in total.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

What's an MTA?

DPUP5520

#3 Post by DPUP5520 »

Hey Flash I believe it's a mail transport agent (one way/outgoing) email daemon)
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69651][b][i]PupRescue 2.5[/i][/b][/url]
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72178][b][i]Puppy Crypt 528[/i][/b][/url]

chapchap70

#4 Post by chapchap70 »

Also could be Metropolitan Transportation Authority. :lol:

chapchap70

#5 Post by chapchap70 »

I did end up getting this to work in FatDog 710 so my self hosted php website was able to email me info from a contact form and such. This relays emails to an smtp server so one does not have to setup their own email server or use a more complicated thing like postfix.

This is a one way setup to email addresses from my website.