EasyOS version 2.3.2, June 22, 2020

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
scsijon

scanning

#1821 Post by scsijon »

I might have a problem.

Connected an new HP printer/scanner. HP Officejet Pro 7740. Had too, the old HP 3310 finally died after 15 years of service.
Installed the matching ppd file in /usr/share/ppd/cupsfilters.
Setup the cups printing 'bits', removing the 3310, adding the 7740, and all that is printing all works beautifully.

However, as far as scanning is concerned.
The scanner parts show up in the Pupscan Interface Information, so that seems ok.
But neither pscan or xsane can pickup the scanner, both give a "no scanner detected" message window.

Any sugestions where to start from?

Thanks.

Rodney Byne

Scanning

#1822 Post by Rodney Byne »

To scsijon,

Hi, I just installed simple-scan downloaded from Buster-main
and with my flatbed already usb plugged in, it identified
it correctly as a Canon scanner known as Canoscan.
Then scanned a document on command and located
the image where I asked it successfully.

Hope this helps, Regards.

scsijon

Re: Scanning

#1823 Post by scsijon »

Rodney Byne wrote:To scsijon,

Hi, I just installed simple-scan downloaded from Buster-main
and with my flatbed already usb plugged in, it identified
it correctly as a Canon scanner known as Canoscan.
Then scanned a document on command and located
the image where I asked it successfully.

Hope this helps, Regards.
thanks rodney, i'll give it a go. I had thought though scanning should have worked out-of-the-box though, maybe their's a file missing or in the wrong spot in buster somewhere.

rameshiyer

Easy Buster 2.1.3

#1824 Post by rameshiyer »

Why my Canon IR ADV 4225 is not printing once Job accounting feature of printer is enabled. The Printer is directed connected to IP address socket//192.168.1.28:9100. No Pop Up window coming up for providing Departmental ID and password. After so much trail and error, now I am able to take printout while job accounting feature is disable in our Printer. It is not possible to keep job accounting feature in a disable condition due to Institutional printing. So I need a permanent solution.

lp-dolittle

scanner issue

#1825 Post by lp-dolittle »

@scsijon

quite a long time ago, experimenting with PeasyScan and xsane, in Puppy Precise 5.7.1, I realised that the settings of the two tools may interfere if they are used alternately or simultaneously.

The problem disappeared when the configuration of either PeasyScan or Xsane was totally reset to the pristine default values and only one of the tools was used.

Maybe, this method might contribute to the elimination of your problem

kind regards

lp-dolittle
Last edited by lp-dolittle on Fri 20 Sep 2019, 18:43, edited 1 time in total.

Argolance

#1826 Post by Argolance »

Bonjour,
BarryK wrote:Ha ha, I didn't even know there is an ebook reader! Where is that in the menu?
apps desktop button, second tab, first entry...
Multi-screen, with two monitors. I have never tried it. Anyone else got that hardware setup? Are both screens the same resolution?
This cans easily be solved by editing the /etc/eventmanager file and changing the ICON_PLACE_EDGE_GAP value to 160 (for me) and I now have desktop drive icons just above the taskbar. May be this should be settable from the eventmanager interface?
OK, I will post to the French thread about latest EasyOS.
Done! Thanks.

Note: The desktop Xlock icon doesn't seem to work. Running /usr/local/apps/Xlock/AppRun in the terminal does nothing.

Cordialement.

wdt

#1827 Post by wdt »

213 iso
Still will not reboot or shutdown via gui (start, right click Desktop, setup icon Desktop,,this says it is doing, but nothing happens)
So... terminal, sync 3x, reboot,, have not tried shutdown -h now yet
after 'service zz-x11vnc stop', service zz-x11vnc start ,, & vncviewer gives connection refused
is the firewall seizing 5900?
How to tell with pupget which files and where?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#1828 Post by BarryK »

Argolance wrote:Bonjour,
BarryK wrote:Ha ha, I didn't even know there is an ebook reader! Where is that in the menu?
apps desktop button, second tab, first entry...
That's the Evince PDF reader. I ran in a terminal:

Code: Select all

# pupapps
# EXIT="Ready"
/usr/local/PupApps/defaultapps/bookreader: line 2: Evince: command not found
...it is trying to run "Evince", but the executable is "evince". Looks like a bug in EasyApps (PupApps).

I will need to fix the EasyApps PET, but just trying a little experiment:

Code: Select all

# ln -s evince /usr/bin/Evince
...yep, Evince now launches.

Probably should have a proper ebook reader in EasyOS.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#1829 Post by BarryK »

wdt wrote:213 iso
Still will not reboot or shutdown via gui (start, right click Desktop, setup icon Desktop,,this says it is doing, but nothing happens)
So... terminal, sync 3x, reboot,, have not tried shutdown -h now yet
after 'service zz-x11vnc stop', service zz-x11vnc start ,, & vncviewer gives connection refused
is the firewall seizing 5900?
How to tell with pupget which files and where?
You can turn off the firewall, to eliminate chances that it is interfering.
Menu Setup -> QuickSetup, and untick the firewall checkbox.

blgs

"copy into ram" BIOS mode

#1830 Post by blgs »

No "copy into ram" for BIOS computers?
Only available for uefi computers?

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: "copy into ram" BIOS mode

#1831 Post by BarryK »

blgs wrote:No "copy into ram" for BIOS computers?
BIOS also.

Perhaps you have booted from the iso?

All development is focused on the .img file, that is written to a usb-stick. That has copy-to-ram for both BIOS and UEFI-firmware computers.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#1832 Post by BarryK »

scsijon

hp scanners

#1833 Post by scsijon »

Hi, as a fyi,

I've been advised that it seems that the latest hp scanners now need a kernel driver module for sane to work. It's no longer built into the hplip package or cups ppd and It's the reason why my new officejet prints beautifully, but won't scan correctly.

Looks like something else to enable when kernel building.

regards

scsijon

devx links missing for building.

#1834 Post by scsijon »

Seems there are a few? files that need links in the /usr/include 'sets' for building.

Two to start with are >

/usr/include/bits/long-double-64.h to long-double-32.h, mentioned in long-double,h

/usr/include/gnu/stubs-64.h to stubs-32.h mentioned in stubs.h

and a quick search stats there are 18 of them that maybe needed.

blgs

#1835 Post by blgs »

BarryK wrote:
BIOS also.

All development is focused on the .img file, that is written to a usb-stick. That has copy-to-ram for both BIOS and UEFI-firmware computers.
I always use the .img file.

I did follow the appropiate guideline for BIOS computers to install 3 files in the boot partition. EFI folder is not required (BIOS computer). Created by means of grub4dos additional startup files in the boot partition. Rebooted the computer but no copy-to-ram option appears.
Probably the guideline for BIOS computers requires an update to reflect the current status of Easyos.

alfons

#1836 Post by alfons »

blgs wrote:
BarryK wrote:
BIOS also.

I did follow the appropiate guideline for BIOS computers to install 3 files in the boot partition. EFI folder is not required (BIOS computer). Created by means of grub4dos additional startup files in the boot partition. Rebooted the computer but no copy-to-ram option appears.
Probably the guideline for BIOS computers requires an update to reflect the current status of Easyos.
this requires two entries in grub4dos
here's an example (please adjust for your needs):

title EasyOS-easyos-2.1.3
find --set-root uuid () 09399679-bd4e-455a-bf87-8c711a9e511e
kernel /easyos-2.1.3/vmlinuz rw
initrd /easyos-2.1.3/initrd
title EasyOS-easyos-2.1.3 & copy into ram
kernel /easyos-2.1.3/vmlinuz rw qfix=cap2

blgs

#1837 Post by blgs »

alfons wrote:
blgs wrote:
BarryK wrote: BIOS also.

this requires two entries in grub4dos
here's an example (please adjust for your needs):

title EasyOS-easyos-2.1.3
kernel /easyos-2.1.3/vmlinuz rw
title EasyOS-easyos-2.1.3 & copy into ram
kernel /easyos-2.1.3/vmlinuz rw qfix=cap2
Bingo. qfix=cap2 was the trick.
thanks

scsijon

#1838 Post by scsijon »

BarryK wrote:
scsijon wrote:Do I need another driver or something for a Blu-ray drive (LG M-disc BH16NS55) with Pyro64 0.9? It's only working as a basic CD Drive at present.
Is that when you are using a multimedia player? Xine-ui or Gnome-MPV?

The build in OpenEmbedded was missing libbluray. I have now remedied that, and in a couple of days plan to do a complete recompile in OE, so will have a new set of binary packages for building EasyOS in woofQ.
Hate to put a drip in things again, but my blu-ray is not working again with either 2.1.3 or 1.2.3, and yet the libbluray is installed.

Neither xine-ui or mpv work, any ideas?

After a bit of trouble capturing errors in files that dissapear after the 12345 thing fails to load, i've found it needs some sort of ACCS library, but where I don't know yet.

Also installed and tried vlc and smplayer with the same result.

I'll keep trying and will post if I can sort it out.

EDIT1: Well I found the problem is some sort of security system called accs, it's libacc source is at https://code.videolan.org/videolan/libaacs, [removed text]. If your using vlc which is apparently the 'best' player for blu-ray. However I am yet to get it to work correctly. I shall persevere and see how I go.
EDIT2: Ok you need vlc, the libaccs.so.~ from videolan (above) if it's not available via ppm, PLUS a VUK database that's updated regularly fromhttp://fvonline-db.bplaced.net/. This file called keydb.cfg is language specific. After unzipping it, is placed in your local /root/.config/accs directory (you may need to create it. If you vlc says it's not there or faulty, you can look at it as it's a text file and search for your bluray title, just don't play with it as it has some strange coding inside it. They have a good help online if needed. And that should all now work.

frenchiveruti

Missing repository

#1839 Post by frenchiveruti »

Hello Barry, Currently using Buster 2.1.3 and the PPM can't find anything on the "pet-buster" repo, I am not knowledgable on how this works but when I press "help" on the "configuration" area, for "adding" a repo editing a TXT file, PPM does nothing at all.
How should I proceed?
Also, it seems that the PPM version you're using on EasyOS Buster is really old or very different to other versions of puppy, is there a reason for this?

Finally, is it safe to update JWM and "gnome menus"? (it tells me there's an update for those when I search for "menu" on the PPM). I wanted to look for "petMenu" because it's EASY to configure, the "Menu Manager" it's completely obfuscated and you have to be guessing which software is where and so on.
Thanks![/b]

frenchiveruti

#1840 Post by frenchiveruti »

Hello again, I did eventually found out that the repo I was talking about indeed was working, just that it has an small amount of files in it.
I have a new issue regarding EasyOS...
Containers won't work, I'm currently using 2.1.3 and I've been messing around with it and doing my personalization, and decided to test the "Buster" container on the Desktop.
It did nothing.
Decided to run it through a terminal. (ec-chroot-buster OR ec-desk)
Did nothing.
I rolled back to the 2.1.3 release snapshot (the "default" one). Loaded the desktop, barely configured anything, clicked on "buster".
It still, did nothing.

What is the problem here? The console doesn't throw any error on the execution.
Is there a way to debug the script?
Thanks. It would be useful for testing out compilations.