Bionicpup64 8.0 CE

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Pentos

#981 Post by Pentos »

Hiya
I'm absolutely loving this distro.
Wow - talk about fast!

Got a couple of Qs i hope someone can help me with.
I've been running off a stick but want to install to the HD in a dual boot with Windoze 10 (the currently installed OS)

I've found and had a look at the Gpart etc but frankly am a little daunted by it.
Id like to minimise the amount of space Windoze has but want to keep it for the time being, while i acclimatise and copy across necessary bits n pieces.

so Q1. What is are the best settings to choose to achieve this?

The target PC is an early Panasonic Toughpad FZ-G1 - 1 cpu at 1.9ghz 2 cores i5. 4GB ram. 256gb SSD

Being a tablet it has no keyboard.
Q2 Is there an plugin for on-screen touchscreen keyboard?

Lastly, the main purpose of the tablet is as a chartplotter on a boat. It has a built-in hardware GPS for this but ive been unable to discover it in the system info tree. In windoze its configured as a COM port.

Q3. is there additional software required to recognise and run the GPs?

Many thanks

Pentos

mikeslr

Shutdown under xfce

#982 Post by mikeslr »

Hi haywirepc,

I'm not sure that this applies to your system. My experience is based on ONLY constructing xfce-panel in order to employ Whisker-Menu under XenenialPup64. However, the debs used were from a Ubuntu repo.

That Whisker-Menu had the same problem. Mine was trying to execute Xfce-shutdown routines that were not present. Here's how I solved it. First track-down the executable for your shutdown gui under Jwm. If Bionicpup64 has Menu>Utility>PupShutDown Manager, you can use that instead. It will add a Suspend option: the "G" in its GUI's lower left corner. The executable for PupShutDown Manager is the bash-script /usr/local/PupShutdown/PupShutdown.

With the executable identified, I Right-Clicked the ICON which triggers Xfce's Shutdown. This brought up a dialog box. One of its panels was IIRC "Commands". That had several fields, one of which specified which executable was called for shutdown. As I recall, there was scroll-bar that enabled you to search thru folders and finally select the executable you want called.

Sorry, not in the above system just now so am doing this from memory; and that without having finished my first cup of coffee. :roll: But, if you get the idea from the above you can try some variations, e.g. Left-click where I wrote Right-click.

With Xfce on a system designed for JWM, you may also find rationalizing xfce's menu of value.http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 867#977867

Edit, having had to search for the above post, after reading it, it seems I discussed "Commands" previously: four posts below the above link.

bigpup

#983 Post by bigpup »

Pentos wrote:,want to install to the HD in a dual boot with Windoze 10 (the currently installed OS)
Windows 10 gets all out of shape bothered if anything but it does any partition changes to the drive it is on.
So to do that you need to use Windows programs.

Really, you do not need to change anything to install Puppy alongside Windows 10.
Windows is on the drive, but any free space Puppy can use.
Puppy frugal install will just install into a folder and that folder will act like any other folder.
Everything Puppy is in that folder.

The easy way to do it is use the installer program Lick.

LICK is a Puppy Linux installer for Windows.
It configures Windows and Puppy Linux to dual-boot environment in just a few clicks.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61404
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#984 Post by bigpup »

Pentos wrote:]Being a tablet it has no keyboard.
Q2 Is there an plugin for on-screen touchscreen keyboard?
Have you tried using:
menu>Utility>xvkbd virtual keyboard?
YaPI(any iso installer)

FONZACUS

#985 Post by FONZACUS »

just wondering, is it possible to manually download the bionicfixes from quickpet? where is it stored after the download?

im currently on lxpupsc64 (kudos peebee) and i like the 'modularity'. id like to turn it into an fdrv. id also like to request offloading palemoon from the main drv to a new adrv.

haywirepc

#986 Post by haywirepc »

thanks everyone. I did try this update and there was no change. Someone suggested a fix in the thread I started on this in beginners help section here. That worked, but next I'm having some kind of session issue. (Starting JWM instead of xfce at start and more issues)

So frustrating, almost a perfect system to clone I built, but I keep borking the save file somehow before I can correct all the issues.

haywirepc

#987 Post by haywirepc »

Also, I have some issue where sometimes xfce4 does start, but it seems to flash the jwm default desktop, background and icons first. Is there a fix to that issue? I think this stuff may all be related since no proper shutdown may not save the current session to start with next boot.

mikeslr

#988 Post by mikeslr »

Hi again, haywirepc,

Again, I'm working by analogy so can't be certain of its relevance. See my prior post. But, as I recall, in order to get xfce-panel to function I had to install an exo-utils deb and its dependencies. Puppy Package Manager did not identify these as dependencies.

JWM (puppy's default window-manager) does not include them nor need them. But xfce and AFAIK every window manager used by Ubuntu does. Consequently, they are part of every operating system created by Ubuntu. As such, Ubuntu does not list them as dependencies one has to install to use an application. Puppy Package Manager only determines what dependencies an Ubuntu application has by reading the list Ubuntu publishes. Hence, it doesn't know.

The absence of exo-utils may be the cause of both your bootup and shutdown problems.

As an alternative to installing xfce, you might want to try FbBox. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 018#769018. My reading of this thread, especially the last few pages, suggests it may work with Bionicpup64 even though that OS is not specifically mentioned. I haven't tried it.*

My main reason for building xfce-panel was primarily to use Whisker-Menu. Whisker-Menu has two components I particularly liked: (1) Its Favorities Category into which I could assign applications so that I didn't have to wade thru menus to call them; and (2) Its search-box for finding & running applications, for the same reason. FbBox has a similar Favorities Category. Puppy has an application, findnrun, which I believe is built into Bionicpup64 performs the same task. But, if you prefer, you can install xfce-AppFinder which, in fact, does not depend on xfce. I've used PPM to build it for many Puppies.

I also discovered that the xfce-notes-plugin works fine without xfce. That may be the case with some other xfce-plugins.

* radky, the creator of FbBox, has since developed many refinements for the JWM desktop, including a builltin 2nd Launcher panel. Consequently, using JWM combined with AppFinder means I almost never have to wade thru menus.

666philb

#989 Post by 666philb »

Pentos wrote:Hiya

Lastly, the main purpose of the tablet is as a chartplotter on a boat. It has a built-in hardware GPS for this but ive been unable to discover it in the system info tree. In windoze its configured as a COM port.

Q3. is there additional software required to recognise and run the GPs?

Many thanks

Pentos
hi Pentos,

there's a few linux gps apps to try, many of which are in the package manager

Code: Select all

https://www.linuxlinks.com/gpstools/
foxtrotgps fired up for me, but i don't have gps to test it.
viking from the package manager seems broken, i'll see if i can make the latest version for bionicpup.
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

williams2

#990 Post by williams2 »

sometimes xfce4 does start, but it seems to flash the jwm default desktop, background and icons first
The desktop background and icons are not there because of jwm,
it is roxfiler that is creating the desktop
The roxfiler desktop (pinboard) can be disabled in /root/.xinitrc

I'm not sure if xfce creates it's own desktop background.

The bionicupdate does have a a script to shutdown Puppy if xfce is running
but it does about the same thing as editing and fixing wmexit.
for example,

wmpoweroff
killall X
In my BionicPup64 8.0 the Xwindows executable that is running is Xorg, not X
so maybe the

killall X

lines should be

killall X Xorg

It might be that xfce is not being allowed to save it's configuration data when it shuts down, in which case a simple script to shut down xfce gently might work.

Or Puppy may not have the support needed for the session management that xfce wants to use.

666philb

#991 Post by 666philb »

FONZACUS wrote:just wondering, is it possible to manually download the bionicfixes from quickpet? where is it stored after the download?

im currently on lxpupsc64 (kudos peebee) and i like the 'modularity'. id like to turn it into an fdrv. id also like to request offloading palemoon from the main drv to a new adrv.
hi FONZACUS,

bionicfix's are located here http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... /quickpet/

to remove palemoon and put it in an adrive ....
menu>>setup>>remove inbuilt packages and choose palemoon
then menu >>setup>>remaster puppy live cd to create an iso without palemoon
then create a palemoon.sfs or whatever browser.sfs and rename it to adrv_bionicpup64_8.0.sfs.

eg grab a palemoon.pet http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... x86_64.pet
right click and choose 'extract pet'
then right click on the extracted .pet and choose 'dir2sfs'
finally rename the sfs to adrv_bionicpup64_8.0.sfs
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

Pentos

#992 Post by Pentos »

bigpup wrote:The easy way to do it is use the installer program Lick.
Many thanks again big pup. worked like a charm.

Having some trouble with the virtual keyboard though - do you know if it's possible to customise its layout or are there others available?

Cheers

Pentos

Pentos

#993 Post by Pentos »

666philb wrote: foxtrotgps fired up for me, but i don't have gps to test it.
viking from the package manager seems broken, i'll see if i can make the latest version for bionicpup.
Hi Phil,

Many thanks for this.

I have some experience with linux going back to early days ubuntu many years ago. But I confess im having some trouble with puppy/bionic in accessing/installing new software.

I want to install OPENCPN the chart plotter app, but even just adding the repository is giving me trouble.

Is there a simple 'how to' for this somewhere ?

Thanks again

Pentos
Panasonic Toughpad FZ-G1 Mk1
Intel core i-5 3437u CPU @ 1.9ghz (2 cores)
4GB RAM
Graphics: 1920 x 1200 Mesa DRI Intel
250GB SSD

williams2

#994 Post by williams2 »

by the way, if I do this:

# mount -o loop /mnt/home/slackosave.4fs /mnt/data/
# umount /mnt/data/
mn: invalid drive
# umount-FULL /mnt/data/
#
the /bin/umount script does not seem to be working properly.

bigpup

#995 Post by bigpup »

Pentos wrote:Having some trouble with the virtual keyboard though - do you know if it's possible to customise its layout or are there others available?

Cheers

Pentos
On the xvkbd virtual keyboard lower left most key is xvkbd button.
Right click on it and hold.
A option menu will show.
A lot of options to choose from for customizing the keyboard.
Attachments
Screenshot(1).jpg
(52.11 KiB) Downloaded 1851 times
YaPI(any iso installer)

nic007

#996 Post by nic007 »

I see in the ibiblio pet packages for Bionicpup64 an sfs called 32bit_compatibilty_bionicpup64.sfs. What is this and how can it be used (with which vmlinuz/initrd.gz)?

bigpup

#997 Post by bigpup »

Bionicpup64 8.0 does not run 32bit linux programs.
It does not have needed 32bit support stuff.

The 32bit_compatibility_bionicpup64.sfs gives Bionicpup64 what is needed to run 32bit software.

download and load it using Quickpet>Useful>32bit compatibility sfs

Good idea to first run Quickpet>Info>Bionicpup updates

If you are asking if the 32bit_compatibility_bionicpup64.sfs can be used with other 64 bit Puppy versions.
Those 64bit Puppies should have their own specific 32bit compatibility sfs to provide them with 32bit software support.
YaPI(any iso installer)

Revolverve

#998 Post by Revolverve »

Author got 4.0 out, improvements related to Word Completion features.
xvkbd-4.0-2-x86_64.pet
Author IMPORTANT NOTE: When invoking xvkbd from display managers such as XDM, GDM, etc., always use xvkbd with -secure option or you will have serious security risk.
Pet come as is.
edit;uploaded a new pet,fix keyboard layout
(change from my tweaked layouts with default one...)
Last edited by Revolverve on Fri 25 Oct 2019, 03:47, edited 1 time in total.
[url=https://www.mira.ca/en/donate]Help mira.ca[/url]

mikeslr

#999 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Revolverve,

Thanks for the pet.

"Author IMPORTANT NOTE: When invoking xvkbd from display managers such as XDM, GDM, etc., always use xvkbd with -secure option or you will have serious security risk."

Any idea what's the easiest way to do that. Both Right and Left-Clicking the xvkb key in the lower Left Corner brings up a configuration GUI, but Options aren't among the choices either by name or function. I've looked at Option in the documentation, http://t-sato.in.coocan.jp/xvkbd/#option but unless I missed it, that doesn't explain how to invoke any of them.

My guesses would be to either (1) add it to the Exec argument in /usr/share/applications/xvkbd.desktop, e.g. Exec=xvkbd -secure

or, a hidden config file [.xvkbd] being created in /root including such entries as "#quick_modifiers 1" --without the quotes, but all beginning with the # symbol, by adding the following to the list, e.g. #secure.

But, as I wrote, these are guesses.

Mike Walsh

#1000 Post by Mike Walsh »

Revolverve wrote:Author got 4.0 out, improvements related to Word Completion features.
xvkbd-4.0-x86_64.pet
Author IMPORTANT NOTE: When invoking xvkbd from display managers such as XDM, GDM, etc., always use xvkbd with -secure option or you will have serious security risk.
Pet come as is.
I guess it all boils down to how paranoid you are about security, in the long run.....

(*shrug*)

Mike. :wink: