Old Grub boot floppy wouldn't boot Puppy 2.14 (Solved)

Using applications, configuring, problems
Crash

Old Grub boot floppy wouldn't boot Puppy 2.14 (Solved)

#1 Post by Crash »

I have been upgrading various computers from Puppy 2.13 to 2.14 lately. The last one to be updated was on an ext2 partition. It's actually the one I use the most. I have been booting it up using a Grub floppy that I probably made from version 1.01 or so. Anyway, I've been using it for a long time. Version 2.14 won't boot with it. I had to go back to "Grub bootloader config" and burn a new floppy, which works fine for 2.14. No big deal - just a little confusing until I figured out what was going on. No one else has remarked about this, so maybe not many people use the floppy boot method these days.

Edited March 14, 2007: I took a closer look at the issue. Comparing the contents of the two floppies, there are only three bytes of code different between them starting at Hex 44. According to the Grub documentation, this is the starting sector for Stage2 on the hard drive. Since Stage2's location can change from version to version, it is always a good idea to burn a new Grub floppy when you upgrade Puppy versions on an ext2 partition.