Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 09 Dec 2019, 01:35
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Precise-light - 17March2019 - for older hardware
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 17 of 17 [251 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 15, 16, 17
jrb

PostPosted: Wed 09 Oct 2019, 09:09    Post subject:  

I have just uploaded precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.0.iso___precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.1.iso.delta
md5sum = bcb2992311f661f167244f7fe085e2b5

New ISO mdfsum = 107cdc6e1836f9e8e1698f991572f74e

Changes include updates:

JWM WindowManagerSettings fixed
    PuppyPackageManager libc6 conflicts fixed
    Rtfed (default wordprocessor) config updated
    Classic mini-icons included

jrb wrote:
Put the original precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.0.iso file and the precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.0.iso___precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.1.iso.delta file in the same directory.
Click once on the .delta file and then click "Generate" and its a done deal. Cool

Not to sound over-confident, but I think Precise-light is pretty well finished (Unless someone finds another huge problem). It runs well on all my hardware. All the programs I use run well. It is my go to OS now. Thanks for all the help guys! Very Happy
sheldonisaac

PostPosted: Wed 09 Oct 2019, 12:46    Post subject:  

jrb (in [part) wrote:
I have just uploaded precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.0.iso___precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.1.iso.delta
Thanks a lot, jrb! Should I try to use a savefolder from Version 5.7.1?

Sheldon

jrb

PostPosted: Wed 09 Oct 2019, 18:00    Post subject:  

sheldonisaac wrote:
jrb (in [part) wrote:
Thanks a lot, jrb! Should I try to use a savefolder from Version 5.7.1?

Sheldon

I wouldn't. Take a look at /root/.packages/user-installed-packages, that will tell you all the .pets you've installed in 5.7.1. You wont need any of the fix's in this latest version (mk2.1). Everything else you can reinstall. That would be safest.
tommy

PostPosted: Sun 17 Nov 2019, 17:53    Post subject:  

jrb, your Precise 5.7.2 has taken the place of my favourite puplet that was once taken by Turbopup Extreme...
I'm posting right now from it, I downloaded Firefox 70 using fredx181 portable Firefox script and I have a good browsing experience on a 16-years-old Packard Bell Easynote laptop featuring a single core Pentium M Centrino 1.5GHz and 768 MB ram.

Thank you a lot!
jrb

PostPosted: Mon 18 Nov 2019, 16:57    Post subject:  

tommy wrote:
jrb, your Precise 5.7.2 has taken the place of my favourite puplet that was once taken by Turbopup Extreme...
I'm posting right now from it, I downloaded Firefox 70 using fredx181 portable Firefox script and I have a good browsing experience on a 16-years-old Packard Bell Easynote laptop featuring a single core Pentium M Centrino 1.5GHz and 768 MB ram.

Thank you a lot!

You're very welcome Tommy. Thanks for keeping the old gear alive. Very Happy

Cheers, J
Moose On The Loose

PostPosted: Wed 20 Nov 2019, 12:56    Post subject:
Subject description: Didn't work for me

Could someone create an ISO I can put in a computer, boot it and then straight away browse the internet? Ideally it should be able to go to amazon-prime-video and play a video with my ID.

I just tried the version I was pointed to and there is no browser natively and if I install chrome or firefox it doesn't even start when I next click browse.

I did the delta thing that leads to a ....mk2.1.iso.

For my intended purpose (amazon prime video), I may have to resort to buying a new machine. I am happy with puppy-528 but it won't do the DRM thing that amazon demands.
belham2

PostPosted: Thu 21 Nov 2019, 03:36    Post subject:  

Hi Jrb,

Been wanting to get around to try your 5.7.2, finally did a few days ago, and it's wunderbar. It works wonderfully!

I had been trying to get a Racy-5.5 USB frugal-install going, but I gave up on it when pmount could no longer function correctly (Racy's pmount was selectively not choosing to mount USBs that I know are good and working in all other pups/ddogs/fatdogs).

I thus set things up the same with your Precise-Light, and everything, well, it just works. Plus, nearly everything in it is updated!! I really appreciate all the updates you brought to it, I've hardly had to do anything, which is rare in our older pup world.

In Precise-Light 5.7.2, I installed Qtweb browser, have it set up as "spot" and it eerily flies. I then installed the latest version of Palemoon, and it is almost just as fast (though, I have had a bit of trouble getting Palemoon to run-as-spot, as Palemoon-spot works during the session I create it in, but when I go to save it for the next session, somehow on next bootup I get the dreaded "Palemoon error: cannot load or your Profile file is missing). It's ok, if I can't figure it out, I will run Palemoon as root.

The biggest surprise to me, was going to Mozilla, downloading the latest stable Firefox (70.0.1), setting it all up in /usr/lib, and crossing my fingers. I then clicked on Firefox.desktop I created, and boom, Firefox popped up & it is just as fast Palemoon. Soon I was surfing, watching Youtube videos, etc, etc (and if it is possible to watch Netflix in Firefox, boy oh boy, this Precise is going to get heavy use in this household, lol). Only thing I have to figure out with Firefox is how to get sound working, and I think I will just grab Fred's Portable Firefox script and get apulse set up that way.

So, overall, this is by far the fastest, most stable puppy I now own, from boot-up to abusing it. Wink . All my equipment, from laptops to desktops, is 8-12 years old, and your Precise-Light takes it all with aplomb and asks for more.

Additionally, with this Precise-Light 5.7.2, I will definitely be grabbing it when I rescue (if needed) another pup/ddog/fatdog and/or other big Linux OS I might goof up.

Thanks again!
Moose On The Loose

PostPosted: Thu 21 Nov 2019, 10:31    Post subject:  

belham2 wrote:
Hi Jrb,

Been wanting to get around to try your 5.7.2, finally did a few days ago, and it's wunderbar. It works wonderfully!
[... snip ....]

It is good to hear that you have had good luck with 5.7.2.
Have you attempted to play an amazon prime video or any other service like that that requires widevine?
I noticed that you installed firefox from their web site and not via the quickpet or PPM. Is this correct?
My failed attempt at making Precise browse the web was a failure as I explained previously.
Could you, as a favor, use the "pfix=ram" option to boot without your save file and repeat the install of firefox taking notes as you go then put those notes here?
Thanks in advance on that.
The notes plus a link to the ISO you used may make it so I can get it to work for me too. I seem to have the software equivalent to a gardener's "brown thumb". Puppy 4.21 and then Puppy 525 were the first cases of software working flawlessly for me.
jrb

PostPosted: Thu 21 Nov 2019, 11:10    Post subject:

Moose On The Loose wrote:
Could someone create an ISO I can put in a computer, boot it and then straight away browse the internet? Ideally it should be able to go to amazon-prime-video and play a video with my ID.

I just tried the version I was pointed to and there is no browser natively and if I install chrome or firefox it doesn't even start when I next click browse.

I did the delta thing that leads to a ....mk2.1.iso.

For my intended purpose (amazon prime video), I may have to resort to buying a new machine. I am happy with puppy-528 but it won't do the DRM thing that amazon demands.

Sorry to hear of your problems Moose. I don't build browsers into my ISO's because they go out of date so quickly. Crying or Very sad If you look at tommy's post above you will see that he has used fredx181's
Firefox Quantum portable with apulse All-in
. I have used it and it works quite well in Precise-light. If you don't wish to put it on your harddrive I suggest putting it on a usb stick. You can launch it from there. and it should run fine.

Alternatively I have managed to get the latest Vivaldi and Slimjet running in Precise-light. Am posting from Vivaldi now, works very well except it crashes when I try to print. Requires 11.5 Mb of libs from tahrpup. I have it setup as a portable.

If you're really stuck I have a 123 Mb tahr-light-6.0.5.iso which seems to work with all the latest mozilla or chromium based browsers, but there again I'm not planning on putting a browser in the ISO.

So, first try fredx181's Firefox Quantum portable with apulse All-in. If that doesn't do what you want we'll see what else we can come up with.

Don't give up on that old machine, Cheers, J Very Happy
jrb

PostPosted: Thu 21 Nov 2019, 11:27    Post subject:  

belham2 wrote:
Hi Jrb,

I had been trying to get a Racy-5.5 USB frugal-install going, but I gave up on it when pmount could no longer function correctly (Racy's pmount was selectively not choosing to mount USBs that I know are good and working in all other pups/ddogs/fatdogs).

I thus set things up the same with your Precise-Light, and everything, well, it just works. Plus, nearly everything in it is updated!! I really appreciate all the updates you brought to it, I've hardly had to do anything, which is rare in our older pup world.

In Precise-Light 5.7.2, I installed Qtweb browser, have it set up as "spot" and it eerily flies. I then installed the latest version of Palemoon, and it is almost just as fast (though, I have had a bit of trouble getting Palemoon to run-as-spot, as Palemoon-spot works during the session I create it in, but when I go to save it for the next session, somehow on next bootup I get the dreaded "Palemoon error: cannot load or your Profile file is missing). It's ok, if I can't figure it out, I will run Palemoon as root.

The biggest surprise to me, was going to Mozilla, downloading the latest stable Firefox (70.0.1), setting it all up in /usr/lib, and crossing my fingers. I then clicked on Firefox.desktop I created, and boom, Firefox popped up & it is just as fast Palemoon. Soon I was surfing, watching Youtube videos, etc, etc (and if it is possible to watch Netflix in Firefox, boy oh boy, this Precise is going to get heavy use in this household, lol). Only thing I have to figure out with Firefox is how to get sound working, and I think I will just grab Fred's Portable Firefox script and get apulse set up that way.

So, overall, this is by far the fastest, most stable puppy I now own, from boot-up to abusing it. Wink . All my equipment, from laptops to desktops, is 8-12 years old, and your Precise-Light takes it all with aplomb and asks for more.

Additionally, with this Precise-Light 5.7.2, I will definitely be grabbing it when I rescue (if needed) another pup/ddog/fatdog and/or other big Linux OS I might goof up.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the encouraging feedback belham2! I may have to put you in charge of sales and advertising. Wink

LIke you, my computer collection is primarily >10 years old collected from the recycle center and garage sales. It would average even older but I'm running out of storage space and I've given away quite a few over the years, setup with Puppy of course. I will admit to buying a $400C refurbished i5 a few years ago which I do most of my development work on, but even that's 9 years old now.

Puppy Linux, fighting planned obsolescence!

Cheers, J
jrb

PostPosted: Thu 21 Nov 2019, 16:51    Post subject:

Moose On The Loose wrote:
For my intended purpose (amazon prime video)

I just setup fredx181's Firefox Quantum portable with apulse All-in on my harddrive and am using it now. Watched a YouTube video and sound worked flawlessly.

Amazon help tells me:
Quote:
Prime Video System Requirements for Computers
Prime Video is available via a web browser on a computer running Windows, Mac OS, Chrome OS, or Linux.

Note: Not all Prime Video titles support all features.

To access Prime Video, please ensure that you are running the latest version of one of these web browsers:

Google Chrome
Mozilla Firefox
Microsoft Internet Explorer
Microsoft Edge
Safari
Opera
Prime Video playback is supported on these web browsers. If you are running an operating system other than Windows or Mac OS, playback is restricted to standard definition.

Fred's script downloads and sets up the latest Firefox Quantum Cool so it should work.

If you need help setting this up let me know or refer to Fred's thread.

Good Luck, J
Page 17 of 17 [251 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 15, 16, 17
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: