EasyOS version 2.3.2, June 22, 2020

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
rcrsn51

#1881 Post by rcrsn51 »

scsijon wrote:I suspect they got in a hot bother due to it's sudden appearance in the new (oct 2019) release.
Again, where is the evidence that this virus is "IN" the chromium release?

meddler

Buster 2.1.6

#1882 Post by meddler »

Thanks Barry - all working well for me now. FF now runs from package manager too. This makes it difficult to decide whether to use 2.1.6 or the older Easy Pyro (1.0.14) with Rufwoof's suggestions for using a single desktop ( zephyr ) for home banking. I was interested to see Rufwoof's references to Qubes OS suggesting the use of zephyr. (I tried Qubes a couple of years ago but found it a bit tedious to install and a bit ponderous in use, especially compared to Barry's latest work. Dont know whether anyone will have thoughts about merits of Buster 2.1.6 versus Easy Pyro 1.0.14 . (Cant make later versions of Pyro do it.) This is on Dell Inspiron 1545, about 10 years old now.

Plenty of choice.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: WI-FI issues?

#1883 Post by BarryK »

bobtron wrote:I also seem to have a problem with WIFI reliably connecting...using a "WI-PI" USB dongle plugged into USB 2.0 port on Lenovo ThinkCentre desktop...Chromium reports "ERR_NAME_RESOLUTION_FAILED"
Seamonkey just reports"Page Load Error"...hmm
Also tried to install "cursor_themes-1.1.pet from PPM repo (also local from file) and PPM "Error,...,pet failed to install...as well as various icon themes (same failed to install msg)
anybody else?
Hmmm, ok. You could fall back to using one of the older network managers. If you right-click on "connect" icon, you can choose "Internet Connection Wizard" then click the "Wired or wireless lan" button, then you could try "SNS".

Let me know if that succeeds.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#1884 Post by BarryK »

BarryK wrote: Known bugs:

2:
I was testing rolling back to an earlier version on my tower PC. This is a frugal install on a hd partition, and I have been upgrading it for some months.

When I chose to roll back to an earlier version of easy, got an "out of memory" message in the boot partition. This is a 640MB vfat partition, and easy.sfs got truncated to only 119MB, its full size is about 500MB.
It should have fitted, but I think there is a limitation with vfat -- if do a 'cp' to over-write the previous easy.sfs, it seems to temporarily need more space.

So the fix will be to firstly delete the old easy.sfs, then copy the replacement. Will check that out.
I received an email from Ramachandran, he has 2.1.3 installed to a hd partition and has got it setup to work as he wants, and is nervous about upgrading to 2.1.6 in case it breaks his setup.

I advised him that he could take a snapshot, then do the usual upgrade -- replacing 'vmlinuz', 'initrd' and 'easy.sfs' in the boot partition. If 2.1.6 works, then good, but if he wants to rollback, he may hit that "out of memory" problem.

Menu Filesystem -> Easy Version Manager can be run to rollback to the 2.1.3 snapshot, then at a reboot, if that "out of memory" message occurs, then have hit that bug. You won't necessarily get it -- I had about 11MB of extra files in the 640MB boot partition, which just seems to have reached some critical point of not enough free space. If you reboot, look at 'easy.sfs' in the boot partition and if it is too small, then replace it with the full 'easy.sfs' from 2.1.3.

This problem won't occur if the boot partition is bigger than 640MB, and may only be a vfat problem anyway.

I have fixed the problem in the '/sbin/rollback' script in the initrd -- delete 'easy.sfs' first, before copying the 2.1.3 replacement.

scsijon

#1885 Post by scsijon »

rcrsn51 wrote:
scsijon wrote:I suspect they got in a hot bother due to it's sudden appearance in the new (oct 2019) release.
Again, where is the evidence that this virus is "IN" the chromium release?
OK, being pedantic, 'with' the release! I have ammended my reply.

However since they hadn't had chromium before this release, I sugest they expected the problem to be within and not appearing afterwards.

And this is now definately OT.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: WI-FI issues?

#1886 Post by BarryK »

bobtron wrote:I also seem to have a problem with WIFI reliably connecting...using a "WI-PI" USB dongle plugged into USB 2.0 port on Lenovo ThinkCentre desktop...Chromium reports "ERR_NAME_RESOLUTION_FAILED"
Seamonkey just reports"Page Load Error"...hmm
Also tried to install "cursor_themes-1.1.pet from PPM repo (also local from file) and PPM "Error,...,pet failed to install...as well as various icon themes (same failed to install msg)
anybody else?
I received a pm from bobtron that UltraSNS and SNS both work for his wifi.

It worries me that the ultra-sophisticated network-manager-applet is not working properly. I am running Easy Pyro 1.2.5 on my laptop, wifi, and network-manager-applet is working fine.

I will do some comparison testing, to see if the Buster build is behaving differently on this laptop.

One difference of course is that I compiled everything in Pyro, in Buster using ready-made DEBs.

Rodney Byne

Testing wi-fi on Pyro 1.2.5

#1887 Post by Rodney Byne »

My experience;
On first time playing to connect laptop to wi-fi.
After selecting my wi-fi from the local list,
then entering the wi-fi password on the big shiny
new gui, the twirly thing went round a few times
then crashed.
At the second click to connect, yay then the twirly
thing connected.
So it took two goes to cook with gas.

Mind you as I normally use an ethernet cable
about 2 feet from the ISP router, I realise the
laptop receiver is being swamped by a huge
radio signal & wont work consistently.
So lifted up and moved the running laptop into
another room well away from the router.
Laptop connected immediately, so it remembers
the password & you don't need to re-enter it.

What a palaver, I'll stick with a cable thanks.
Regards,R.

scsijon

xine on pyro 1.2.5

#1888 Post by scsijon »

sorry for reporting that xine is failing with an error. last two lines are:-
No acellerated IMDCT transform found
/usr/bin/xinewrapper: line8 6960 Aborted xine --nosplash "$@"
I tried changing a few things around as I did with a earlier version, but it's still failing this time, I can't even get it to start or give me the xine-control panel.

This is a bluray drive, but running in non-bluray mode so it shouldn't need anything special.

On the other hand, it's working perfectly on both standard and double-layer dvd players so it looks like something relating to bluray is missing.

scsijon

networking - network status - ?ipinfo

#1889 Post by scsijon »

Do you have any idea of how I can see the ipinfo page of the network status of the working network under your connection information?

Also it's only giving me the IP Address under IPv6, there should be more as I use IP6 in my network internally, just IP4 for externally directed connections.

frenchiveruti

#1890 Post by frenchiveruti »

williams2 wrote:frenchiveruti, you could type in a text terminal console:

Code: Select all

acpi -abi
If this shows the same information as the tray applet
then the applet is working properly,
it is the acpi drivers causing the problem.

If the acpi information seems to be correct
then the applet is the problem.
acpi command is not found in this OS, am I the only one?
I dindn't really delete anything.
EDIT: Just installed it looking for it on PPM, so there's that.

acpi -abi
Battery 0: Discharging, 100%, 02:42:09 remaining
Battery 0: design capacity 4400 mAh, last full capacity 3400 mAh = 77%
Adapter 0: off-line

Last edited by frenchiveruti on Mon 14 Oct 2019, 13:58, edited 2 times in total.

frenchiveruti

Re: Tested, error message child failed with code 1

#1891 Post by frenchiveruti »

BarryK wrote:
frenchiveruti wrote: Hi!
Here's the error:

# ec-chroot buster easy
gtk-update-icon-cache: Cache file created successfully.
Generating /root/.icewm/menu...
Generating /root/.jwmrc...
Generating /root/.jwmrc3...
Executing: DISPLAY=:0  pflask  --keepenv --mount=tmp:/tmp --no-netns  --caps=all --no-userns --chroot=/mnt/sda7/EasyOS/containers/buster/container --  /.control/ec-run buster easy

[✘] Child failed with code '1'
Unmounting: /mnt/sda7/EasyOS/containers/buster/container
Unmounting: /mnt/sda7/EasyOS/containers/buster/.ro0
Container buster stopped
Ah, I see that you have modified the security settings, that is what has broken it. I am running Easy Pyro 1.2.3 right now, so it has the "pyro" icon on desktop. If I run this:

# ec-chroot pyro easy
Executing: DISPLAY=:1  pflask --mount=bind:/mnt/sda2/home/shared:/mnt/wkg/home/shared --keepenv --mount=bind:/tmp/.X11-unix/X1:/tmp/.X11-unix/X1 --no-ipcns --no-netns --mount=bind:/dev/snd:/dev/snd --mount=bind:/dev/mixer:/dev/mixer --caps=all,-sys_admin,-sys_boot,-sys_chroot,-sys_ptrace,-sys_time,-sys_tty_config,-chown,-kill,-dac_override,-dac_read_search,-fowner,-setfcap,-setpcap,-net_admin,-mknod,-sys_module,-sys_nice,-sys_resource --no-userns --chroot=/mnt/sda2/containers/pyro/container --  /.control/ec-run pyro easy
You can restore the default security settings. Go to menu Filesystem -> Easy Container Management, in the "Manage" frame choose "buster" in the dropdown list, and the security settings will be reset to the defaults -- there is also a "Reset" button for this. Then click "Update and exit" button.

Not sure if I tested this, but it should work.
Hello, same error after resetting the settings.

Executing: DISPLAY=:0  pflask  --keepenv --mount=tmp:/tmp --no-netns  --caps=all --no-userns --chroot=/mnt/sda7/EasyOS/containers/buster/container --  /.control/ec-run buster easy
Container buster stopped

BarryK
Puppy Master

#1892 Post by BarryK »

frenchiveruti wrote:
BarryK wrote:
frenchiveruti wrote: Hi!
Here's the error:

# ec-chroot buster easy

Container buster stopped
Ah, I see that you have modified the security settings, that is what has broken it. I am running Easy Pyro 1.2.3 right now, so it has the "pyro" icon on desktop. If I run this:

# ec-chroot pyro easy
Executing: DISPLAY=:1  pflask --mount=bind:/mnt/sda2/home/shared:/mnt/wkg/home/shared --keepenv --mount=bind:/tmp/.X11-unix/X1:/tmp/.X11-unix/X1 --no-ipcns --no-netns --mount=bind:/dev/snd:/dev/snd --mount=bind:/dev/mixer:/dev/mixer --caps=all,-sys_admin,-sys_boot,-sys_chroot,-sys_ptrace,-sys_time,-sys_tty_config,-chown,-kill,-dac_override,-dac_read_search,-fowner,-setfcap,-setpcap,-net_admin,-mknod,-sys_module,-sys_nice,-sys_resource --no-userns --chroot=/mnt/sda2/containers/pyro/container --  /.control/ec-run pyro easy
You can restore the default security settings. Go to menu Filesystem -> Easy Container Management, in the "Manage" frame choose "buster" in the dropdown list, and the security settings will be reset to the defaults -- there is also a "Reset" button for this. Then click "Update and exit" button.

Container buster stopped
This " --caps=all" tells me that security settings have not been reset. can you post /mnt/wkg/containers/buster/configuration, that has the security settings.

tom22251

wireless network-managers & running EASY in memory only

#1893 Post by tom22251 »

To Barry & all,
regarding wireless network-managers.

My best experience hands down is with PeasyWifi (PWF).

After trying out all of the others in the last 2 years
sns, frisbee, super-sns, nm-tui, etc. this is the fastest and most consistent little program.
It always works, even if I remove all the other managers.

So why it is not included in EASY OS ?
Besides it's created by rcrsn51, old community member,
a so called inhouse effort.
Unfortunately I just discovered it only early this year.
On my DELL 4x Intel core i5 CPU desktop machine,
I have frugally installed all the different versions
of EASY, and PWF works the best on each.
And it looks good too.
So congratulations and thank you rcrsn51, and Barry
hopefully you consider including PWF too.
By the way EASY 2.1.6 is working very well.

And for those interested in running EASY in memory only:

let's say our USB drive is sda1 with ext3,
and is labeld LINUX. We copy easy.sfs,
initrd and vmlinuz toa folder named EASY-216.

If we edit BOOT_SPECS like this:

BOOT_LABEL='LINUX'
BOOT_DIR='EASY-216/'
WKG_LABEL='EASYOSZRAM'
WKG_DIR=''
INIT_LANG='en_US.UTF-8'

it will always run in memory and we can unplug the usb.

We can even save our changes by creating a simple
save script "save":

cd /mnt/sdc2/EASY216/
cp -a /mnt/wkg/.session/* SAVE
sync
exit

At each start up we copy our saved changes by
an other script "updt":

cd /mnt/sdc2/EASY216/
cp -a SAVE/* /
sync
restartwm
exit

I know it's very crude, but it works.

Regards,
Tom

Argolance

#1894 Post by Argolance »

Bonjour,
tom22251 wrote:My best experience hands down is with PeasyWifi (PWF).

sns, frisbee, super-sns, nm-tui, etc. this is the fastest and most consistent little program.
It always works, even if I remove all the other managers.

So why it is not included in EASY OS ?
I have also seen the same thing more than once. That's why I chose PeasyWifi for ToOpPy. This little application, unlike the others, has never failed me! I am surprised that it has not at least been added to the Easy OS available applications...

Cordialement.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#1895 Post by BarryK »

BarryK wrote:
frenchiveruti wrote:
BarryK wrote: Ah, I see that you have modified the security settings, that is what has broken it. I am running Easy Pyro 1.2.3 right now, so it has the "pyro" icon on desktop. If I run this:

# ec-chroot pyro easy

Container buster stopped
This " --caps=all" tells me that security settings have not been reset. can you post /mnt/wkg/containers/buster/configuration, that has the security settings.
I have discovered bugs in Easy Container Management, it is not writing the 'configuration' file correctly.

Will fix it asap.

EDIT:
OK, fixed. see attachment. Remove the false ".gz" and replace /usr/local/easy_containers/easy-containers
Attachments
easy-containers.gz
Remove false .gz
(24.55 KiB) Downloaded 119 times

oui

Re: wireless network-managers & running EASY in memory only

#1896 Post by oui »

Hi Tom
tom22251 wrote:To Barry & all,
regarding wireless network-managers.

My best experience hands down is with PeasyWifi (PWF).

It is in my eyes very important to admit that the conditions and usages of each Operatin System are very different: Each person would better have an individual system, why not? Some distro promise somewhat so...

I did never have some problem with the simple connection wizard!

Same thing with rox

or Seamonkey

etc...

But I did have unsolutionnable problem with Peasy connection stuff in a derivate having only this stuff preinstalled. It did not recognize my LAN (it is really rare) and it was not possible to connect with LAN or WIFI. and as there was no other connection's tool in that derivate no chance to amend the situation...

Creators of derivate are often proud to eliminate goodies from Puppy; erase rox, seamonkey, simple connection wizard, mTpaint etc.

But they don't better Puppy: They only show that they are not willing to learn how to work effective with those tools...

rcrsn51

Re: wireless network-managers & running EASY in memory only

#1897 Post by rcrsn51 »

oui wrote:But I did have unsolutionnable problem with Peasy connection stuff in a derivate having only this stuff preinstalled. It did not recognize my LAN (it is really rare) and it was not possible to connect with LAN or WIFI. and as there was no other connection's tool in that derivate no chance to amend the situation...
It's more likely that the problem was due to a lack of drivers in this derivative, not with the connection manager.

Did you check by running "dmesg"?

Did you report the problem?

tom22251

PeasyWifi in EasyOS

#1898 Post by tom22251 »

Hi Oui,
you are right:

"conditions and usages of each Operating System
are very different...
"

but I was writing strictly about my experience with
PeasyWifi in EasyOS, both Pyro and Buster.
And as the name suggests, it was designed specifically
for wireless connections, although it works well with
ethernet too. And as the author himself: rcrsn51,
said, the distro you are using likely is missing
some drivers.

Try EASY-1.2.5 or 2.1.6, both are exellent.

Bye

lp-dolittle

running EasyOS in RAM

#1899 Post by lp-dolittle »

@ tom22251

Hi tom22251,

thank you for paying attention to the running totally in RAM option in EasyOS!
Alas, I so far did not manage to successfully apply your method, maybe because I do not fully understand your instructions.

After copying easy.sfs, initrid and vmlinuz to a folder 'EASY_216' in an external drive (IDE HD) with only one ext3 partition (labelled LINUX), I edited and changed the BOOT_SPECS in the copied initrid, according to your instructions, but the drive fails to boot.

As for a save option, you mention a sdc2 partition. Where should this partition be? On a second external drive?

And finally, what about the UEFI-capability of your 'so-called' sda1-drive?
In Barry's EasyOS, some vital directories always need to be present in a fat partition or to be integrated in an iso-file

I would be very thankful for some additional explanation

kind regards

lp-dolittle

scsijon

nma vs nmtui and 1.2.7.

#1900 Post by scsijon »

Barry,

The only thing I don't like about the new applet is that it doesn't show the rx/tx figures so you don't know what your load is like at any time.

Could you add some note on what would need changing to use the nmtui until this can be incorperated (please) as others like me that use satellite need to watch these figures carefully.

1.2.7 is downloading at the moment, after testing I shall use your notes and build a few apps I use, but where do you want them noted as completed? Downloads will as usual be via my website under
> puppy > easy >