Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 16 Nov 2019, 19:33
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Which is the best way to randomly connect several Linux PCs?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 3 of 3 [44 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sat 19 Oct 2019, 15:42    Post subject:  

jafadmin wrote:
To make a simple P2P network that doesn't need the internet, you simply need to connect them to a switch and manually configure their IP addresses to be on the same subnet (192.168.1.100, 101, 102, etc, with a 255.255.255.0 netmask).

It would be helpful to newcomers if you provided the steps for doing this.

Or you could run RouterMaker, which automates the process. See Example #3.
tallboy

PostPosted: Sat 19 Oct 2019, 18:03    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
Does that mean that you tried it and it worked?

No, haven't had the time to do it yet, my daily routines are a bit unorganized at the moment. I only follow the forum when I have a minute or two between other more trivial tasks. Confused
I am grateful for all help and suggestions, and I'll report back after testing. Very Happy

jafadmin

PostPosted: Sat 19 Oct 2019, 19:03    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
jafadmin wrote:
To make a simple P2P network that doesn't need the internet, you simply need to connect them to a switch and manually configure their IP addresses to be on the same subnet (192.168.1.100, 101, 102, etc, with a 255.255.255.0 netmask).

It would be helpful to newcomers if you provided the steps for doing this.

Or you could run RouterMaker, which automates the process. See Example #3.

So true, man. So true.
Code:
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.10 netmask 255.255.255.0

And so on for each machine, changing the '10' to '11', then '12', etc ..

If you want to get fancy, you can put entries for each machine in the /etc/hosts file, like so:

192.168.1.10 gamer
192.168.1.11 laptop
192.168.1.12 telemetry

Just add those to the hosts files of each machine and you can access them by name: "ping gamer", etc .. instead of using their IP address.

I hope this helps ..
tallboy

PostPosted: Sat 19 Oct 2019, 19:20    Post subject:  

Question: How do I have to relate to a VPN mixed into this soup?
jafadmin

PostPosted: Sat 19 Oct 2019, 19:42    Post subject:  

tallboy wrote:

Ok, what am I missing, here? You've been a puppy user for nine years and you have twice as many posts as I do.

These are all Dick & Jane questions. This does not compute.
tallboy

PostPosted: Sat 19 Oct 2019, 19:48    Post subject:  

That just proves that I blabber a lot. I have avoided some areas because I lack the knowledge. Cool

Edited: Seriously, my initial Dick & Jane question has given several different solutions. I am interested in finding the best solution. I can also sit down and peruse all old threads on the subject, but software and hardware published at a later time than the info I find interesting, will not make me much wiser. Besides, I live with all my books packed down after moving, and I have a problem with concentration, when I use the net for educational purposes. And on top of all that, I am not really very smart...

s243a

PostPosted: Sat 19 Oct 2019, 20:12    Post subject:  

tallboy wrote:

A vpn creates a private network that automatically handles the tunnelling over the internet between computers. If you setup a private/home VPN than you can have an ip address for a given network service that won't change, when either your local or publicly reachable ip address changes. Some VPN software options you could use are:
1. openVPN - suitable for large networks and relies on a centralized server.
2. tinc - a p2p mesh network type of vpn. This is a good option if you can't gaurantee a large uptime for any node. The downside is that it doesn't scale well to large networks.
3. badvpn - good for adhock networks based on socks 5 connections. As I mentioned above if you do dynamic ssh port forwarding with ssh then your ssh server will setup a socks 5 connection. Another piece of software that uses the socks protocol is shadowsocks. Shadow socks was designed to tunnel through the great fiewall and is harder to detect then the traffic of public vpn Services.

jafadmin

PostPosted: Sat 19 Oct 2019, 20:23    Post subject:  

tallboy wrote:
That just proves that I blabber a lot. I have avoided some areas because I lack the knowledge. Cool

Edited: Seriously, my initial Dick & Jane question has given several different solutions. I am interested in finding the best solution. I can also sit down and peruse all old threads on the subject, but software and hardware published at a later time than the info I find interesting, will not make me much wiser. Besides, I live with all my books packed down after moving, and I have a problem with concentration, when I use the net for educational purposes. And on top of all that, I am not really very smart...

Okey doke ..
tallboy

PostPosted: Sat 19 Oct 2019, 21:06    Post subject:  

s243a wrote:
Another piece of software that uses the socks protocol is shadowsocks. Shadow socks was designed to tunnel through the great fiewall and is harder to detect then the traffic of public vpn Services.

That is the kind of info I look for.
I can find all this info by spending some hours on the net, but then I would not have any reason for be a user of this forum, and that would sadden me.

s243a

PostPosted: Sun 20 Oct 2019, 01:35    Post subject:  

tallboy wrote:
s243a wrote:
Another piece of software that uses the socks protocol is shadowsocks. Shadow socks was designed to tunnel through the great fiewall and is harder to detect then the traffic of public vpn Services.

That is the kind of info I look for.
I can find all this info by spending some hours on the net, but then I would not have any reason for be a user of this forum, and that would sadden me.

You may also be interested in the following article:
https://medium.com/sentinel/breaking-the-great-firewall-of-china-sentinel-dvpn-and-socks5-f73406245be

but I think shadowsocks is a better approach than sentinel because sentinel is socks 5 over the block chain which I think would both be higher overhead and more likely to leave some breadcrumbs behind.

tallboy

PostPosted: Mon 21 Oct 2019, 00:56    Post subject:  

Yes, s243a, I already read it, very interesting. (I didn't understand all the tech references on Sentinel's GitHub site, slow brain... Confused )
Regarding VPN, I have OpenVPN installed from NordVPN's links on setup, using their 5-6000 servers. The original NordVPN .deb application wouldn't install on my PCs, maybe a systemd related problem. But, I have it as an app on my phone, where it automatically find the fastest NordVPN server.
I have the habit of closing down my PC hardware when it is not in use, so I have to set up a connection to the fastest VPN server each time I boot up a PC for use on the net, using screen to run it in the background. For browsing some websites that only accept a local IP, I have to look up the fastest local server from NordVPN's site, so the screen setup has to be done manually every time. It will also take some time to set up a new LAN every time, if I can manage to get it to workl
BTW, I have installed the swiss encrypted ProtonMail to my phone, and they also have a free VPN, which can do some clever tricks to solve the problem with sites demanding a local IP address, even if all their servers are based in Switzerland.

s243a

PostPosted: Sun 27 Oct 2019, 00:00    Post subject:  

rufwoof wrote:
tallboy wrote:
Jeez, Mike and rufwoof, thank you for the effort, but I said:
...to find the simplest way that always work! Laughing
As I understand from skimming through the detailed manuals you guys made, those methods works by connecting the different PCs to one main PC that is acting as a server. I need to connect the individual PCs randomly, with none acting as a server.

I earlier used sshfs to log into my accounts at the uni, but then the uni was the server. That worked very well, and in theory it should be dead simple to accomplish, but when I try the same setup between my own computers, I fail. Confused Besides, I guess that is a one-way connect, PC1 can reach PC2, but PC2 cannot reach PC1.

ssh would seem to be the best choice. If each box runs a ssh server you could set things up to use sshfs (requires fuse)

Depending on what version of puppy one is running fuse might be built into the kernal. You can check with the following command:

Code:

# grep -i fuse /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/modules.builtin
kernel/fs/fuse/fuse.ko

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2292448

Otherwise try loading the module with the command:
Code:

modprobe fuse

or if you want you can first check if the module is loaded with the command:

Code:

lsmod | grep fuse

If you can't load the module than you have to use menuconfig to add it. 666philb gave some instructions on how to do this here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=874770#874770

s243a

PostPosted: Sun 27 Oct 2019, 00:07    Post subject:  

tallboy wrote:
rcrsn51, thank you, I see your point. They are mostly on the same subnet, but not always. I'll se if I can get sshfs working.

If you use the verbose option "-v" when trying to do this it might help to find some errors. I was trying the related alternative-aproach, that I mentioned in this thread, and the -v option gave me some useful troubleshooting information when trying to do dynamic port forwarding:

Code:

debug1: Local connections to LOCALHOST:1080 forwarded to remote address socks:0
debug1: Local forwarding listening on 127.0.0.1 port 1080.
bind: Cannot assign requested address
socket: Address family not supported by protocol
channel_setup_fwd_listener_tcpip: cannot listen to port: 1080
Could not request local forwarding.

what it suggests to me is that I have to either disable IPv6 on my ssh connection or alternatively setup IPv6 on my linux machine. I've encountered an error like this before. I didn't have this problem trying this on a windows machine with cygwin became my windows machine had IPv6 setup.

P.S. related to this related-altenative-aproach, badvpn might not be necessary but I see from the ssh manpages that there are options for a tunnel device. I'll have to investigate this further.

tallboy

PostPosted: Sun 27 Oct 2019, 00:32    Post subject:  

s243a wrote:
Depending on what version of puppy one is running fuse might be built into the kernal.
Thank you for both that info, and for more in the next post. Those little things are just what I look for, to make a clearer picture of why I sometime succeded and sometime failed, when I used the same setup! Very Happy
Page 3 of 3 [44 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: