Puppy 1.03 works, but Chubby 1.04 doesn't?

Booting, installing, newbie
ChiJoan

Puppy 1.03 works, but Chubby 1.04 doesn't?

#1 Post by ChiJoan »

Hi,

Why doesn't Chubby work on my Intel P3 with 128K RAM? Will version 1.05 be any better? Is the video hardware detect any different between these two versions of Puppy? Because I have VGA on the motherboard, but I use an early AGP 3dfx card to connect to the CTX-1765GM monitor. Vector Linux worked, but didn't allow me to go pass the low resolution setting. Is this that it doesn't detect the video card or the monitor correctly? Or is it a combination of the two? I gave up trying to edit settings for Vector, and I'm willing to wait for someone smarter than me to fix the problem.

If there is other info you need me to get from Puppy 1.03, please tell me where and how to go about it. I can get on the Web OK, it's just than I had to do something on my P4 WinXP box when I thought to contact you.

Thanks,
ChiJoan

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

What do you mean when you say Chubby won't work on your P3? You seem to say that it works well enough for you to get online. If you only have problems running certain applications, such as OpenOffice, my wild guess is that it's because 128 MB isn't enough RAM.

mike

#3 Post by mike »

I have been able to run any program thrown my way on puppy, and I have 128MB RAM as well.

What exactly "doesn't" work?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

You probably mean that usr_cram.fs isn't loading into ramdisk, running it from CD.

That's because you don't have enough ram, or you don't have a Linux swap partition.

A solution is to copy usr_cram.fs off the CD onto the hard drive, same place that has the pup001 file, then Puppy will find it at bootup and use that instead of the one on the CD.
If only have a NTFS partition, be sure to copy usr_cram.fs while running XP.

ChiJoan

Doesn't Chubby Puppy work the same as Puppy 1.03?

#5 Post by ChiJoan »

Barry,

I thought Chubby would make whatever file it needed on my Fat32 formatted hard disk just like Puppy 1.03 did. Therefore, I did nothing and waited like I did with Puppy 1.03. After, it said something failed near the end, I think. I did a 3-finger salute and checked C drive. True, it did make the Pup001 file, but I deleted it and put back on Puppy 1.03. Which again had no problem, that's why I'm guessing it's that pesky video card problem again.

Do you want me to put back Chubby on for you? Then you can tell me what I need to do next to help you figure it out, just in case someone else has this set-up. Since it stalls, does it make any text that's readable in the Pup001 file? Or do I have to type the info from the screen into here?

Thanks,
ChiJoan

ChiJoan

Here's the error message from Chubby Puppy

#6 Post by ChiJoan »

Here goes, sorry for typos:

SquashFS error: Unable to read inode [58195e5:abd]
SquashFS error: Root inode create failed
Mount: Mounting /dev/loop) on /usr failed: Invalid arrgument
SUCCESS: All personal files will be auto saved in Home device
This means that Puppy was able to mount a partition on /root.
mount: Mounting none on /usr failed: No such device------------failed

Pausing 60 seconds...
Setting hostname: puppypc
loading "us" keyboard map
/root/.etc/rc/d/rc.local0: /usr/sbin/hwclock: No such file or DIR
hdparm: No such file or DIR
parport0: PC-style at 0-378 [PCSPP,TRISTATE,EPP]
Setting up interface lo...

BusyBox v0.60.5...Bash

Sorry, cannot start X. File /usr/X11R6/bin/X missing.
If X is supposed to be installed, probably Puppy was unable to mount usr_cram.fs on /usr

Ok, what next? What do I have to do different? I'll try to get a different AGP card. Or will a better PCI VGA card work better? Someone told me the PCI bus would be scanned before the VGA on the motherboard, or is this just in the DOS/Windows world?

I'll try another hard drive for Puppy all by itself. Why are you using un-journalized versions of file systems? I wonder how secure a Fat32 Puppy will be. I'll have to look into the firewall how-to/Wiki. I hope I can figure out one of the four, or was it five ways to install Puppy to a hard disk?

Thanks for your patience,
ChiJoan

richiew

#7 Post by richiew »

This sounds very similar to the problem being discussed over on:

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=10323#10323

It does not sound like anything to do with the video card, but someone else will be able to confirm that.

I found that Puppy often copies usr_cram.fs to a friendly partition (i.e. not NTFS) if possible when running from CD.

Try going back deleting any copies of usr_cram.fs on the Fat32 partition and then running Chubby Puppy again. It should then automatically copy its own version of usr_cram.fs to the hard drive, much as BarryK suggested doing manually earlier.

For what it is worth I was able to run Chubby Puppy fine with only 64 MB with all kinds of install types.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: Doesn't Chubby Puppy work the same as Puppy 1.03?

#8 Post by Flash »

ChiJoan wrote:...does it make any text that's readable in the Pup001 file? Or do I have to type the info from the screen into here?

Thanks,
ChiJoan
If you have a digital camera you can maybe save yourself some work, or at least make sure you don't make any mistakes.

Just take a picture of the screen when Puppy stalls and post the picture to this forum. But please, before you post it, crop everything but the text, and use a program like Gimp to reduce its resolution, so it doesn't fill up the whole screen or take a long time to download for the forum members with dial-up connections. Something like 600 x 400 is usually more than high enough resolution to read the text on the screen, if the picture was taken from close enough to fill the frame and the camera held steady and square to the screen.

raffy

installation

#9 Post by raffy »

Whatever install you try, make sure you have enough memory, which is = RAM+swap. You can find some more tips here:

http://ph-islands.net/pupinstall

ChiJoan

I posted the error messages into my original thread.

#10 Post by ChiJoan »

Hi,

I'll try and figure out how to put a link into this thread if someone doesn't do it for me.

Update: I've reformatted the hard drive and will try Chubby again to see if that changes anything. I just woke up so it may take a few minutes.

Thanks,
ChiJoan

ChiJoan

No difference...still got the error codes.

#11 Post by ChiJoan »

Hi,

This time I pressed "3" and selected hda1. Should it have been hda0? As most things in computer-ese start numbering with zero. I think that was the Grub explaination thread, right? But I didn't start the Grub part yet, one hurdle at a time.

Wish I knew how to combine these two threads together for future searchers. But maybe after it's solved it will be by the moderators.

Thanks,
ChiJoan

ChiJoan

I did some research on the video card.

#12 Post by ChiJoan »

Hi,

FCC ID: ICUVGA-GW804, p/n 9804-11 made in Taiwan, barcode: GHE 33356

It seems to point to it being a Hercules Terminator 2X/i AGP Intel 740. It likely needs XF86-SVGA i740.

Is this one of the differences between Puppy 1.03 and Chubby 1.04? Maybe you switched to X.ORG? I think I saw you put out an Xfree Puppy, I'll try that and get back to you.

Thanks,
ChiJoan

ChiJoan

I downloaded Puppy 1.05 Alpha and it worked.

#13 Post by ChiJoan »

Hi,

What does this prove? Did my Chubby Puppy 1.04 CD go bad so quick, or did you do something different somewhere? Anyway thanks for the Alpha iso download. I can be without the wordprocessor and spreadsheet icons for the time being, since they say "error". If I add Firefox will the icon auto-correct, or is that hard-coded to just Mozilla? I can always access it by it's own icon anyway, like I did on Puppy 1.03.

Is there any specific Puppy 1.05 files and help yet, or will the current 1.04 info at various places still work? I hope my ramblings will help someone. I did out one thing about how VGA is worked out in the kernel. Here's the link:

http://www.linuxbios.org/index.php/VGA_support

Thanks for Puppy and all your hard work,
ChiJoan

raffy

i810 family

#14 Post by raffy »

Ah, so your card is i810 family. You might want to see this. Anyway, try searching for "framebuffer" in the forum.