EasyOS version 2.3.2, June 22, 2020

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
rooftop

Re: Battery app not updating.

#1941 Post by rooftop »

I had a quick look at the battery app last night. It appears that the problem is that the Update() function does not explicitly return a value, and in some cases it is returning FALSE (or 0) which causes the function to never be called again.

The easy fix is to replace all 'return' statements in the Update function with 'return(TRUE)' and add a 'return(TRUE)' as the last line of the function. This has the added bonus of getting rid of all the compiler warnings :)

It might also be worth while replacing gtk_timeout_add() with g_timeout_add_seconds() as the former has been depreciated and the later is claimed to be more efficient. If using g_timeout_add_seconds() the interval needs to be changed from 15000 to 15 as is is given in seconds rather than milliseconds.

I've attached my modified version of powerapplet_tray.c (with all the above modifications) in case anyone is interested...

-- Neal
Attachments
powerapplet_tray.c.gz
Modified version of powerapplet_tray.c
(2.77 KiB) Downloaded 118 times

Leon

#1942 Post by Leon »

rooftop wrote:I've attached my modified version of powerapplet_tray.c (with all the above modifications) in case anyone is interested...
Hello rooftop,

Thank you very much for the most needed fix for my favorite Quirky Beaver64 8.7.1.

I downloaded the source from:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/easyos/source ... .6.tar.bz2
and replaced the file powerapplet_tray.c with your version.

I also replaced the compile command in compile script
from

Code: Select all

gcc `pkg-config --cflags --libs gtk+-2.0` powerapplet_tray.c -o powerapplet_tray
to

gcc -Wl,--no-as-needed `pkg-config --cflags --libs gtk+-2.0` powerapplet_tray.c -o powerapplet_tray
as recommended here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=85752

Then I compiled the source in Quirky Beaver64 8.7.1, made the pet package and tested it.

It works perfectly.

Patched powerapplet_tray pet package for Quirky Beaver64 8.7.1 is here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 44#1040444

rooftop

#1943 Post by rooftop »

I've made another small change to the battery app so that the icon will update immediately (well, within 15 seconds anyway) when the charging status changes rather than waiting until the battery percantage changes.

I've also added more comments as requested by Barry :)
Attachments
powerapplet_tray.c.gz
Updated version of powerapplet_tray.c
(2.95 KiB) Downloaded 119 times

scsijon

pyro 1.2.7

#1944 Post by scsijon »

Doing some pyro testing:

I notice that libnotify and the GDBUS are erroring at startup.

Errors appearing are:

(nm-applet:2938): libnotify-WARNING **: Failed to connect to proxy

(nm-applet:2938): nm-applet-WARNING **: Failed to show notification: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.Notifications was not provided by any .service files

The second error also re-appears in a slightly different form against ModemManager rather than GDBUS when shutting down.

And a little note to anyone using Firefox, it's now up to 70.0, please update as soon as possible, there's quite a number of fixes and things that make it worthwhile.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#1945 Post by BarryK »

rooftop wrote:I've made another small change to the battery app so that the icon will update immediately (well, within 15 seconds anyway) when the charging status changes rather than waiting until the battery percantage changes.

Thanks very much for looking into that! I have downloaded your code, keen to try it.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: pyro 1.2.7

#1946 Post by BarryK »

scsijon wrote:Doing some pyro testing:

Errors appearing are:

(nm-applet:2938): nm-applet-WARNING **: Failed to show notification: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.Notifications was not provided by any .service files

The second error also re-appears in a slightly different form against ModemManager rather than GDBUS when shutting down.

And a little note to anyone using Firefox, it's now up to 70.0, please update as soon as possible, there's quite a number of fixes and things that make it worthwhile.
This is only a warning, not an error. In Buster, you will see a popup message whenever network-manager-applet does something, such as achieve a network connection. Pyro doesn't have these popups.

This is because Pyro doesn't have a notify daemon to present messages as popups. There are many notification daemons to choose from, a list is here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/De ... ifications

Buster is using 'notification daemon':

https://github.com/GNOME/notification-daemon

If this is installed in Pyro, then you should get the popups and those warnings will go away.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#1947 Post by BarryK »

A report on the updated xorg intel driver in Pyro 1.2.7.

I have Pyro installed to the hard drive of my laptop, Acer Aspire1 model A114-31-C014, completely removed Win10.

I did the upgrade thing, replacing the files vmlinuz, easy.sfs and initrd, and no problem with the upgrade.

However, I did notice one thing. I think, though not 100% certain if my memory is correct, that Xorg chose the 'modesetting' driver before. Now it is choosing the 'intel' driver.

The 'intel' driver is the very latest from github. The last official release of the xorg intel driver was 2014, so it is recommended to use a later one from github. But, it is still considered to be flakey, and some distros no longer use the intel driver, instead use the modestting driver for intel graphics GPU.

Right, so my laptop... yesterday was compiling seamonkey, 2.49.5 again, and the desktop froze. Did a hard reboot, attempted compile again, after sometime, froze again.

Hard reboot, exited from X to the commandline, ran "xorgwizard", and it stated the using "sna" acceleration for the intel driver, which can be troublesome, and can change to the older "uxa" acceleration ...which I did, and was able to compile seamonkey.

So, if anyone else has this issue, that might be your fix.

Or, you can run xorgwizard and change to the modesetting driver.

Instead of running xorgwizard, if you go to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d, you will see file '20-intel-uxa.condDISABLED' that you can rename to enable it, then restart X.

lp-dolittle

running easyOS totally in RAM

#1948 Post by lp-dolittle »

@ tom22251

Hi Tom,

unfortunately, all my attempts at configuring an external drive (hard drive) according to your detailed instructions failed so far. The drive has a fat32 partition (sdb1; larger than 1 GB, labelled LINUX, boot-flag set) apart from sdb2 (ext3; containing the Folders E-216 and SAVE).
I replaced the 1. 'code' by your corrected variant, and all coding sections were copied to sakura where they were executed automatically.
Alas, booting does not work. I also tried to leave out the last step, assuming that I possibly had created and applied the 'updt.sh' script in a mistaken manner and that the drive without that step would boot into the original, pristine version, but booting failed with the same error message.

I will continue rethinking my procedure ... and I would not like to waste your time overly. As soon as I will succeed - if at all -, you will get feedback.

kind regards, and thank you very much for all your support

Jürg

illiapoplawski

#1949 Post by illiapoplawski »

BarryK wrote:A report on the updated xorg intel driver in Pyro 1.2.7.

I have Pyro installed to the hard drive of my laptop, Acer Aspire1 model A114-31-C014, completely removed Win10.

I did the upgrade thing, replacing the files vmlinuz, easy.sfs and initrd, and no problem with the upgrade.

However, I did notice one thing. I think, though not 100% certain if my memory is correct, that Xorg chose the 'modesetting' driver before. Now it is choosing the 'intel' driver.

The 'intel' driver is the very latest from github. The last official release of the xorg intel driver was 2014, so it is recommended to use a later one from github. But, it is still considered to be flakey, and some distros no longer use the intel driver, instead use the modestting driver for intel graphics GPU.

Right, so my laptop... yesterday was compiling seamonkey, 2.49.5 again, and the desktop froze. Did a hard reboot, attempted compile again, after sometime, froze again.

Hard reboot, exited from X to the commandline, ran "xorgwizard", and it stated the using "sna" acceleration for the intel driver, which can be troublesome, and can change to the older "uxa" acceleration ...which I did, and was able to compile seamonkey.

So, if anyone else has this issue, that might be your fix.

Or, you can run xorgwizard and change to the modesetting driver.

Instead of running xorgwizard, if you go to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d, you will see file '20-intel-uxa.condDISABLED' that you can rename to enable it, then restart X.
Running xorgwizard and setting the modesetting driver fixed my issues that I was mentioning before regarding starting with xwin. Thank you for your help @BarryK

scsijon

Re: pyro 1.2.7

#1950 Post by scsijon »

BarryK wrote:
scsijon wrote:Doing some pyro testing:

Errors appearing are:

This is only a warning, not an error. In Buster, you will see a popup message whenever network-manager-applet does something, such as achieve a network connection. Pyro doesn't have these popups.

This is because Pyro doesn't have a notify daemon to present messages as popups. There are many notification daemons to choose from, a list is here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/De ... ifications

Buster is using 'notification daemon':

https://github.com/GNOME/notification-daemon

If this is installed in Pyro, then you should get the popups and those warnings will go away.
I know, I was wondering in this case why then they were appearing on the screen as if they were serious problems, rather than be in the approporiate startup log file instead.

lp-dolittle

EasyOS running totally in RAM

#1951 Post by lp-dolittle »

@ tom22251

Hi Tom,

thanks to the help of Alfons who provided me with additional detailed instruction (including some modifications), I meanwhile managed to create a bootable/removable SD-card following your tom22251 method.

Using an (old) ide-harddisk as an external drive, the same procedure did not work so far, but I will continue testing and report the results.

thanks again for your help!

kind regards

Jürg

BarryK
Puppy Master

#1952 Post by BarryK »

BarryK wrote:
rooftop wrote:I've made another small change to the battery app so that the icon will update immediately (well, within 15 seconds anyway) when the charging status changes rather than waiting until the battery percantage changes.

Thanks very much for looking into that! I have downloaded your code, keen to try it.
Applet updated, now 2.7:

https://bkhome.org/news/201910/powerapp ... on-27.html

lp-dolittle

running easyOS totally in RAM

#1953 Post by lp-dolittle »

@ tom22251

Hi Tom,

just to let you know, your 'crude' method for running EasyOS totally in RAM after booting from an external drive and having the option to save data onto this same drive (when reinserted before shutdown) basically works also with external sata-harddrives (2.5 inch; usb-connected).

As already mentioned, the older 2.5 inch ide-HD's do not offer this option.
I was successful when using your 'method modified by Alfons'

kind regards

Jürg

tom22251

reply to lp-dolittle

#1954 Post by tom22251 »

to lp-dolittle:

that's exellent news Jürg.

I'm glad you succeeded and congratulations.
Just out of curiosity I'd like if you'd
supply some details about the machine (PC)
you used and wheather it has any internal drives or
only this external one.

I'm asking this because by doing some
more experiments on my machines:

- Dell Optiplex 980.........around 2011 built
- HP Compaq 8200 Elite......around 2012
- Dell Latitude 2120 Laptop.around 2009

They all behave differently and require different
aproche. The Optiplex boots only with legacy methods,
which is extlinux/syslinux/isolinux or grub(I never use this}
On the other hand the HP desktop PC only boots UEFI exept
the internal drive does both UEFI and extlinux.
The laptop being the oldest boots consistently by extlinux.

So I'm just curious how your PC behaves regarding these methodes.
Thanks for your frequent reporting about your progress.
Wish you further good luck, bee well.

Tom

lp-dolittle

EasyOS running totally in RAM

#1955 Post by lp-dolittle »

@ tom22251

Hi Tom.

while configuring the external drive, I left the laptop's internal hard-drive (Seagate 7200 4; 500 GB) in place. Meanwhile I removed it, and your method continues working!

To provide you with more detailed information, I created a hardware-info report and 2 screenshots.

kind regards and thanks again

Jürg
Attachments
Screenshot 2.png
(91.65 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
Screenshot 1.png
(97.04 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
hardinfo_report.html.gz
(97.88 KiB) Downloaded 142 times

frenchiveruti

#1956 Post by frenchiveruti »

Hi Barry, thanks for the 2.1.7.
Will test it thoroughly when I get my hands on the computer that has it installed.

don570

#1957 Post by don570 »

- Dell Optiplex 980.........around 2011 built
- HP Compaq 8200 Elite......around 2012
- Dell Latitude 2120 Laptop.around 2009

They all behave differently and require different
aproche. The Optiplex boots only with legacy methods,
which is extlinux/syslinux/isolinux or grub(I never use this}
I have a Dell Optiplex 990 (which is essentially the same as 980)
and it works fine with grub.

Machine also works with LICK
http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/fa ... -lick.html

but I only tried it with fadog64 linux and Windows 10

tom22251

reFind, UEFI, extlinux, grub, EasyOS

#1958 Post by tom22251 »

Thank you Jürg for the report, looks good.

I still don't quite know how the UEFI method
worked, did it work smoothly or you had to
make some changes to the reFind configuration file?
Thanks.

To don570:

Hi Don,
and thank you for your observations.
You are right, the Optiplexes are basically similar,
and true, grub is fine. I don't use it just because
it looks more confusing to me than extlinux, which
seems simpler with fewer files. Extlinux 4.03 acctually
has only 2 files: ldlinux.sys and extlinux.conf.
And it takes a 16 color background image too, in .lss format.
With UEFI machines it seems BarryK's method is the simplest,
I only changed text only mode to allowing a small logo
to apear in the menu, just by adding the line:

icon /EFI/BOOT/icons/easy.png
to the reFind configuration file.

And yes, Fatdog is exellent too, with lots of
good bootloaders, I didn't have to try LICK,
the reason being no Windows of any kind on
my machines, some of them don't even have internal
drives, just 2, 4, or 8 GB memory.
My last Windows was W95, 12 years ago. Since then
only Puppies and now mostly EASY OS.
So thanks again and btw, we are compatriots, I'm
in Ontario too.

Take care all,
Tom

p.s.
I've learned about the EXTLINUX method from linuxcbon,
maybe 8 years ago or so. So thanks to him too.
[/code][/b]

lp-dolittle

tom22251 method

#1959 Post by lp-dolittle »

@ tom22251

Hi Tom,

so far, I could test the tom22251 method on only 1 UEFI machine (a Dell 2720, all in one, i7-processor).
EasyOS-2.1.7 booted flawlessly, irrespective of the BIOS/UEFI-settings (legacy or UEFI; fastboot disabled)
I was not required to modify the refind file in any way.

I hope this information is helpful, in view of your aim at additionally testing extlinux.

kind regards

Jürg

edit 03.11.2019:

maybe, this additional remark also is of interest to you:

today, I had the opportunity to test the tom22251 method on a Mac Book Air 13 inch (Mid 2012; 1.8 GHz i5 Intel core; 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3; Intel HD graphics 4000 1536 MB).
Booting the Mac Book Air from EasyOS-217 (installed on a SD-card which is inserted into a card-reader and connected to the Mac via an usb-interface) seems to work, but EasyOS - in this case - does not offer the option to choose a specific video mode at startup and finally hangs(?) just before the last step (opening the splash screen) with the message:

root (automatic login)
Waiting for kernel video drivers to load: 1 2 i915

I, so far, was not able to find a workaround. While running Mac OS High Sierra, the Mac Book's video resolution is set to 1440x900.
Last edited by lp-dolittle on Sun 03 Nov 2019, 19:44, edited 1 time in total.

rooftop

Getflash

#1960 Post by rooftop »

I tried to use getflash to install flash, but it wasn't working. After a bit of digging around and looking in the Getflash forum I got it working after making the following 2 changes:
  • 1. Changed VERSION_URL in getflash-conf from adobe.com/software/flash/about to get.adobe.com/flashplayer/about
    2. Added the --no-hsts option to the wget command for VERSION_URL
Attached are the altered files.

- Neal
Attachments
getflash-changes.zip
Altered getflash and getflash-conf files.
(9.31 KiB) Downloaded 181 times