(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 23 Sep 2020, 12:56
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
How to install Opencpn in Puppy Slacko 6?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 4 of 4 [58 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
ais

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jul 2018, 21:32    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:

a small FAT32 partition, and a swap partition, yes?
Boot 'flag' set?
Grub4DOS installed?
If 'Yes' to all the above, it's time for the moment of truth. See if you can get Lucid to boot from the USB stick; from the sound of things, you know how to do this part with your own machines, I take it.

If you get Lucid running from the 'stick', leave it running, then drop me a reply.....and we'll get Mikeb's OpenCPN SFS 'installed'. Then, with a small amount of editing, we'll get the Menu entry sorted out, too. OK?

Mike. Wink

The stick is booting up.
I put the charts in the fat32 partition, which I can access from windows 10 also but not from win7 .

I am ready to go for the next phase.
-----------------------------------
The program asked to save the session on shutdown, but it did not give the option to save to HDD. (sda) The only 'save' option was to the mem stick. Now on booting, the stick loads the file and on shutdown it runs the (saved) file again.
Is there a way to change the save file to HDD? as this process takes ages to complete.
In slacko it was saved to HDD and ran quite fast.
--------------------------------------------

To suit your daylight time, I'll be logged in to this forum from 10.00 GMT till 11.00 8-july . If you are otherwise engaged today, I'll be here again the day after etc.
If these times or dates don't suit you Mike, Just give me a time/date for your convenience. I'll make sure to be online

Thanks Mike
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jul 2018, 11:47    Post subject:  

Hallo, ais.

No worries, mate. There's not much more to do now; we're almost done.

------------------------------------------------

OK. Once you've booted into Lucid, look among your drive icons, bottom left of the desktop. Find the one with the yellow box outline around it; this is Lucid's 'home' partition. Click on this, then move the window over to one side. Leave it open.

Back to the drive icons; you'll want the one next to it, marked sdx2. (X is whatever; I don't know what your USB stick is coming up as.) This'll be your FAT32 partition. Click on this; again, move the window away from the already open one, so's you can see both of 'em.

Drag Mikeb's OpenCPN SFS package across to the other window (Lucid's home partition. Drop it, and choose 'Copy'. You should end up with this:-

Now, left-click on the SFS package in the 'home' partition. You'll get a box come up like this:-

Simply click on 'Install SFS'.....and wait for it to do its thing. You'll need to 'OK' a couple of boxes during this process. At the end, press 'Quit'; we don't want to run it just yet.

OpenCPN is now installed.

------------------------------------------------------

Finally, we'll just sort out the MenuEntry, so it'll show up.

Click on the 'File' icon, top-left corner of the desktop, to open ROX up. Then, click on the small green arrow, left hand end of the ROX-filer Menubar; this will take you UP one level, into the main file-system.

Click on 'usr'.
Click on 'share'.
Click on 'applications'. This'll take you into the directory where all the .desktop entries live; these are what control what gets shown in the Menu.

Locate the 'opencpn.desktop' entry. Now, right-click; select 'Open with Geany'. The Geany text editor will open, and show you the contents of the .desktop entry for OpenCPN. With me so far?

Now; look down the very bottom. You should see 'Categories=Navigation'. Well, that's no good, because as you probably know by now, Puppy's Menu doesn't contain a 'Navigation' category!

(Mikeb's done an awful lot of customization to his Pups over the years, and probably has a Navigation category in his Menu, for all I know.....but I don't know how you would do that. So, we'll put it into an existing category.)

---------------------------------------------------------

In Geany, change that 'Navigation' to 'X-Utility'.....which will give you

Code:
Categories=X-Utility

Up the top, click on the 'Save' button. As you do this, you should see the text in the tab will change from red to black, indicating the changes have been saved. You can now close the tab, followed by Geany itself.

Finally, we'll make it so that OpenCPN will show up in the Menu. Open a terminal (click on the 'Console' icon on the desktop). Type in

Code:
fixmenus

.....then press 'Enter'. Wait until the prompt returns ('#'), then close the terminal. Then, making sure everything's closed, go into Menu->Shutdown->Restart X server......and wait until the desktop's settled back to normal again.

--------------------------------------------

If you now go into Menu->Utility, you should (all things being equal!), find a Menu entry for OpenCPN. Click on it.....and if OpenCPN doesn't fire up, I'll eat my hat. (Well, I would if I had one... Laughing )

I think you can take it from there; I daresay you know how to load your charts by now.. Let us know what happens, please!

Mike. Wink

ais

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jul 2018, 19:39    Post subject:  

Hi Mike,
You're a genius !!
OpenCpn is working perfectly Wink

Many thanks, I learned a lot.
I re-read your posts and now they make perfect sense.

I do have one(for the time being anyway) problem eg

After I had installed Lucid puppy, the program asked to save the session on shutdown, but it did not give the option to save to HDD. (sda)
The only 'save' option was to the mem stick..

While using your Opencpn install instructions, I noticed that the mem stick contains the same files/folders (37 items) as the contents of the root directory eg / hence it takes forever to load and shutdown. The mem stick is doing overtime.

How do I fix this? so that it saves an(after session) updated file to the hdd and just uses the stick for booting, like what is used to do in puppy slacko

Once again
Thanks, Mike! Very much appreciated... Down the hatch Very Happy
ais

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jul 2018, 19:47    Post subject:  

Many thanks to all contributors, for your help, suggestions and solutions...
Very much appreciated

Very special thanks to Mikeb for supplying the opencpn package
Very Happy

Last edited by ais on Mon 09 Jul 2018, 01:11; edited 1 time in total
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jul 2018, 20:50    Post subject:  

Hallo, ais.

Good, good. Glad to hear it's working for you. Betcha happy now, ain't ya? Laughing

Don't forget to give Mikeb full thanks for providing the package in the first place. Without him, this wouldn't have been possible.....any of it!

Um. Regarding how to get the save-file/folder to run from the hard drive. I've never actually done this before, to the best of my knowledge! Knowing the way Pup works, in that it will search throughout all available drives to find a save-file/folder, I believe that all you need to do will be to copy it across to the hard drive, then delete it from the stick.....but don't quote me on this.

You would probably be best to start a new thread about this specific subject, TBH.

I will give you one word of advice, though. Once you have your Pup (any Pup) just how you want it, fer Chrissakes back-up the save-file or save-folder. Easiest thing in the world to do. There are backup tools provided in Puppy, but all I ever do is to create a directory with the name of the Puppy in a safe location, drag the save-file/folder across to this directory, drop it.....and choose 'Copy'. It's only this item you need to copy anyway, since this is what contains all your settings and personalizations. Any SFS packages that are loaded, or .pets that are installed, will remain exactly as they are (pets will be in the save-file/folder, anyway.....in 'Puppy-space', if you like (this is what we tend to refer to it as)). An SFS file 'hooks' into the file-system, but doesn't occupy any space within it. That's probably the easiest way to visualize it.

The Puppymaster himself (Barry K) has written a long, highly technical explanation of exactly how Puppy works. You can read it if you want, but I'll warn you; it's rather dry reading.....and there's a lot of it, mostly about how the unionfs and aufs 'layered' file-system stuff sets itself up and runs during a session. For the most part, the average user doesn't need to know how it all fits together; just that it does (and remain eternally grateful to the Puppymaster for devising Puppy in the first place!!)

https://web.archive.org/web/20171205044704/http://barryk.org:80/puppylinux/development/howpuppyworks.html

The original 'blog' post has been moved to the Wayback Machine, since Barry has recently completely reset his domains, and even rewritten the software that allows him to access them...

(Just to make you green with envy ( Laughing ), here's my 'main' Lucid's desktop. Customizing is kind of a hobby with me...)

Mike. Wink

ais

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jul 2018, 07:17    Post subject:  

great screen.
I can't show you mine any more............It happened after I deleted the Debian partition and the the grub boot loader did not want to fire up win10, or anything else for that matter.................
index.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   11.48 KB
 Viewed   278 Time(s)

index.jpg

mikeb

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jul 2018, 07:24    Post subject:  

What vector charts....I know of no such things......the ones I (don't) have lack above sea level depths unfortunately which is a bit essential in the themes estuary.

As for open sea maps Fastrack is a very neat free android program which downloads their charts too..... for offline just stock up when on wifi for the area you need. I wonder if you could use fastrack to get charts and then use in openCPN.

mike
ais

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jul 2018, 08:54    Post subject:  

Have a look here:
http://www.charts.gc.ca/charts-cartes/digital-electronique/raster-enc-eng.asp

Vector charts are ENC charts, they are coded with additional information not available in paper or raster charts. .
IOW the further you zoom in to ENC charts,the more detail shows up.

The details are embedded in the various layers

Raster charts ( scanned-in paper charts) on the other hand are always cluttered with info and zooming in just makes the pixels larger and the lines thicker. All the details are already there.

The designation for raster is .BSB and .KAP and are generally free for download from many Oceanic charting Institutes around the world

The original ENC charts come from the C-map Co bundled at the time as cm93. The name just stuck through the ages.
The ENC charts don't have a 3 letter extension as normal files do.
The new CM93 versions are coded for use with proprietary nav software only and cost an arm and a leg.
ENC means Electronic Navigation Charts
Pentos

PostPosted: Thu 26 Sep 2019, 15:04    Post subject:  

Very interested in this as I'm trying to do something similar.
Ive got as far as installing not Slack but Bionic.
Can I ask wether Mike B's package is likely to work with my version of puppy?
Many thanks
Pentos

Graphics: 1920 x 1200 Mesa DRI Intel
250GB SSD
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Fri 27 Sep 2019, 07:02    Post subject:  

Hallo, Pentos.

Mm.....probably not. Y'see, the problem will be that Lucid's infra-structure is all pretty ancient; elderly libs/dependencies, elderly system structures, etc. Bionic is at least 8 years newer, and, while many libs/dependencies are backwards-compatible, some just are not, and insist on specific, usually age-related items.

I mean, it may be possible, but it'll like as not involve a fair degree of 'lib-hunting', and tracking down specific versions. You can only try......but before you attempt it, make sure your existing save-file/folder is backed up. Mind you, if you've only just installed Bionic, it'll probably not matter; you can always re-install again.

Can I ask; is this 32-bit Bionicpup 8.0, or is it 64-bit Bionicpup64 8.0? If it's the 64-bit version, that introduces another set of problems.....

Mike. Wink

Pentos

PostPosted: Sun 27 Oct 2019, 18:25    Post subject:  

Hi Mike,
Sorry for the protracted silence.
AFAIK it is indeed the 64bit version.
Shocked

Do I need to sit down? lol

There seems to be a repository for OPenCPN on their site but I can't figure out how to add that in bionic. My linux terminal knowledge extends as far as "sudo apt-get" etc but that doesn't seem to even apply in bionic...

Any help or suggestions very gratefully received

Cheers

Pentos
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 27 Oct 2019, 20:11    Post subject:  

@ Pentos:-

64-bit, eh? Hm. Okay; well, here goes.....

Firstly, before we do anything else, you'll need to install the stuff that enables a 64-bit system to 'natively' run 32-bit progs/apps. In Ubuntu, and most of the 'mainstream' distros, this is what's referred to as the multi-arch stuff. However, as you've probably guessed by now, Puppy is a wee bit different to the 'big boys', and employs a somewhat alternative approach...

You'll need to d-l and 'load', what's called the '32-bit compatibility libs' SFS package. For Bionicpup64 8.0, this can be found at the following link (direct download from Ibiblio):-

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet_packages-bionic64/32bit_compatibilty_bionicpup64.sfs

Having done that, move the '32-bit_compat_libs' SFS to /mnt/home. This should put it in the same directory as all the Puppy system files & stuff, including your save-file/-folder. Now; left-click on the SFS package; it'll ask if you want to install the SFS. Click 'Yes' (or 'OK'), and follow it through.

With me so far?

Once it's told you it's successfully installed/loaded, before you do anything else (literally; the following should be the very next action), open a terminal, and enter

Code:
ldconfig

(That's a small 'L', not a '1' or a capital 'i', BTW.)

Hold your breath. Laughing Just be patient, and wait for the command to run its course. Once it's done so, the 'prompt' (the '#' sign) will reappear at the beginning of the next line. Then you know it's finished.

Now you can close the terminal, since 'ldconfig' has run, and established all the necessary sym-links to enable 32-bit apps/progs to find matching 32-bit libraries when you want to use them.

------------------------------------

Let me know when you've accomplished that step, and we'll figure out the next one.

Mike. Wink

jafadmin

PostPosted: Mon 28 Oct 2019, 15:41    Post subject:  

Pentos wrote:
Very interested in this as I'm trying to do something similar.
Ive got as far as installing not Slack but Bionic.
Can I ask wether Mike B's package is likely to work with my version of puppy?
Many thanks
Pentos

Here is how I had to do it in BionicPup 64 8.0

I tried using 'ppa2pup' to add the PPA to puppy, but it didn't help much. PPM breaks if it encounters tildes '~' in the filenames. So ..

Install these two with PPM:
libwxgtk3.0-0v5 (libwxgtk-media3.0-0v5_3.0.4+dfsg-3_amd64.deb)
wx3.0-i18n_3.0.4 (wx3.0-i18n_3.0.4+dfsg-3_all.deb)

Then using a browser, download and install these manually in this order:
Code:

https://launchpad.net/~opencpn/+archive/ubuntu/opencpn/+files/opencpn-gshhs-crude_2.2.4-0~utopic2_all.deb
https://launchpad.net/~opencpn/+archive/ubuntu/opencpn/+files/opencpn-gshhs-low_2.2.4-0~utopic2_all.deb
https://launchpad.net/~opencpn/+archive/ubuntu/opencpn/+files/opencpn-tcdata_3.3.2107-0~utopic1_all.deb
https://launchpad.net/~opencpn/+archive/ubuntu/opencpn/+files/opencpn_5.0.0-0~bionic1_amd64.deb

(Download them all into the Downloads directory, then click on them one at a time and they will automatically install)

OpenCPN will be under the "Personal" menu ..

Page 4 of 4 [58 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: