[updated] Missing a package source? Try these

For groups of packages that don't all fall under the same category
scsijon

[updated] Missing a package source? Try these

#1 Post by scsijon »

Missing a package you have a name (or think you do) but little else?

You might just be able to find it via Repology https://repology.org/.

To quote them:
Purpose
Repology is a service which tracks and compares package versions in more than 120 package repositories.

For package/port maintainers:
Discover new releases of software you maintain packages for
Find new projects to package
Get in touch with fellow maintainers to improve packages together
Keep package naming and versioning schemes in sync to other repos for your and your user's convenience
Fix problems detected by repology, such as broken links

For software authors:
Keep track of where and how well your project is packaged
Keep in touch with your product package maintainers

For users:
Discover new releases of software you use
Pick distribution most suitable for you, in terms of package quantity, freshness or stability
Keep in touch with maintainers of software you use

Supported repositories

Linux repositories: Adélie, Alpine, ALT, antiX, AOSC, Arch and AUR, BlackArch, Calculate, CentOS, CRUX, Debian, Deepin, Devuan, Distri, ELRepo, Entware-ng, EPEL, Exherbo, Fedora, Funtoo, Gentoo, Guix, GoboLinux, Hyperbola, KaOS, KISS, Kwort, Linuxbrew, Maemo, Mageia, Manjaro, Mer Project, Mint, MX Linux, Nix, OpenMandriva, openSUSE, OpenWrt, Parabola, Pardus, Parrot, PCLinuxOS, Pisi, PLD Linux, PureOS, Raspbian, Rosa, Sabayon, Salix, SlackBuilds, Slackware, SliTaz, Solus, SparkyLinux, SteamOS, T2 SDE, Tails, Trisquel, Ubuntu, Void, Whonix
*BSD repositories: DragonFly DPorts, FreeBSD ports, OpenBSD packages, pkgsrc, Ravenports
Third party repositories: Deb Multimedia, Gentoo overlays, KDE neon, OpenPKG, openSUSE additional repositories, PackMan, UnitedRPMs, RPM Fusion
Other *nix repositories: AIX Open Source Packages, Homebrew, HP-UX, OpenIndiana, MacPorts, Rudix
And non-*nix repositories: Chocolatey, Cygwin, F-Droid, HaikuPorts, just-install, MSYS2 (msys2, mingw), Npackd, OS4Depot, ReactOS rapps, Scoop, Termux, Vcpkg, YACP
Upstream module collections or programming language specific package managers: Buckaroo, CPAN, CRAN, crates.io, GNU ELPA, Hackage, LuaRocks, MELPA, PyPi, RubyGems, Stackage
F/OSS news sites: DistroWatch, freshcode.club, libregamewiki
Other sources: Wikidata
If i'd had this in my bookmarks still, I could have saved a couple of hours searching, and a lot of scratching and a headache, which is why i've added it to our forum.

Just maybe, with it up here, i'll remember it's name and url next time I need to use it!!!.

thanks
Last edited by scsijon on Sat 06 Jun 2020, 05:06, edited 1 time in total.

tallboy

#2 Post by tallboy »

Good find, scsijon! :D
But we're not on the list... :cry:
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

scsijon

#3 Post by scsijon »

tallboy wrote:Good find, scsijon! :D
But we're not on the list... :cry:
Your right, but they need the 'co-ordinator' to apply to have them added, I tried. It's something to do with legal requirements for authorisation for the database to access our 'servers' I was told. There are a number of other linux's I know of not there either for this reason.

I guess that means BarryK for the EasyOS and Quirky 'streams' would need to 'apply'. But who would have the overall authority for the Puppy 'stream', Mick (01micko) or someone else as we do have a number of them for the different puppy series, but they do seem to only want one?

EDIT: And someone sent a pm about creating a whole puppy using repology as the base. Could be done if you had a set of standard build configs, but that doesn't always appear. It could however be used for woof building.
Last edited by scsijon on Wed 30 Oct 2019, 06:02, edited 1 time in total.

mikeslr

#4 Post by mikeslr »

Actually, Repology is a really nice find. Most Puppies are binary compatible to debian, slackware or Ubuntu. Someone interested in building an application or upgrading an existing application can quickly find out a great deal of information, noting the colors assigned to current, outdated and legacy (outdated, but kept for some reason) and using the application Search box. A couple of click will take you to a page such as https://repology.org/project/openssl/versions at the top of which are tabs which will provide even more information.

It's interesting to note that the current versions of openssl for all Ubuntu versions are outdated. However, if you were interested in "back-porting" the updated openssl version currently available in Bionicbeaver to your Xenialpup, you can quickly reach the appropriate Ubuntu repo without having to initiate a new web-search by first clicking the "Packages Tab", scrolling down and selecting "Package on Launchpad.net".

Using other Search routines on Repology can give you some idea of how 'deep into the weeds' you'll get before you commit yourself to doing so.

backi

#5 Post by backi »

Yes indeed a cool Find !

scsijon

repoforge, repository index.

#6 Post by scsijon »

And another found this day, mainly very old stuff.

http://ftp.riken.jp/Linux/repoforge/source/.

Even has ghasher at v1.2.0-1 and gift-0.11.6 from 2004.

And an index of whats out there (dated but good)

https://repository.portal-tol.net/engli ... rincipal_G