(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 19 Sep 2020, 22:39
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Install Chrome
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
tippiemetz

PostPosted: Sat 02 Nov 2019, 05:03    Post subject:  Install Chrome
Subject description: Ways to install the Chrome browser

I would like to install Chrome, e.g. to be able to use my TarPuppy to watch Netflix....

I am currently running TarPuppy 6 32bit with NVIDIA support. This is the only version I could find that started and runs (from a 64GB USB stick) on this ASUS laptop with NVIDIA.

Help is appreciated!
p310don

PostPosted: Sat 02 Nov 2019, 05:59    Post subject:  

Chrome is only available as a 64 bit application, so running Tahr32, you cannot quite do it.

You can have luck installing chromium and then the widevine plugins to get netflix to work.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 02 Nov 2019, 07:26    Post subject:  

Hallo, tippiemetz. And to the 'kennels'.

Don, unfortunately for you, is quite right. Running a 32-bit Pup, there's no way you can run Chrome on there. I know Google still build 32-bit Chrome for Windows, but they stopped producing 32-bit builds for Linux around 3 years ago.

However, if you want to watch NetFlix in a 32-bit Puppy, there is an easy solution. You may not like Firefox, but the new (ish) Quantum browser is a lot faster and more stable than it used to be......and you can easily watch NetFlix in that.

Go here, and download Fred's 'portable' FF-Quantum. You can run this from anywhere.....even from a flash drive, because it's self-contained (keeps its own profile with it).

Unzip the tarball, move the 'firefox32' folder anywhere you like, and start it by clicking on the 'ff' script inside.

-------------------------------

There are ways to use more recent 32-bit Chromium-based browsers, but unless you're a real Chrome freak, Firefox will let you watch NetFlix comfortably, and with a lot less hassle.

Let us know how you get on, please. If you could also let us know your hardware specs (make & model, CPU, amount of RAM, HDD, etc - we know you have Nvidia graphics, cheers for that), I can soon let you know whether a package I have would work for you. It's an all-in-one build of v69 of SRWare's 'Iron' browser, which is identical to the way Chrome looks & works. It contains the necessary GTK3 stuff already, along with PepperFlash (which has its own updater, written by a fellow Puppian).

Let me have those specs, please.

Mike. Wink

Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: