Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 18 Jan 2020, 17:03
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
How to use Signal Desktop opensource communication app?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]  
soniabu

PostPosted: Thu 07 Nov 2019, 12:08    Post subject:  How to use Signal Desktop opensource communication app?  

Hello to all
Have any of us installed Signal on the Pc?
I don't know how to start because if I go to the official site https://signal.org/#page-top
it indicates the following command to run on Debian

" curl -s https://updates.signal.org/desktop/apt/keys.asc | sudo apt-key add -
echo "deb [arch=amd64] https://updates.signal.org/desktop/apt xenial main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/signal-xenial.list
sudo apt update && sudo apt install signal-desktop"

the package repository looks like it’s for Xenial not Ubuntu;
I join a scrrenshot - error at begin and end
Does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks
sonia

2)
[/url]

Last edited by soniabu on Thu 07 Nov 2019, 13:56; edited 1 time in total
666philb

PostPosted: Thu 07 Nov 2019, 13:44    Post subject:  

hi soniabu,

try slackwares signal https://packages.slackonly.com/pub/packages/14.2-x86_64/network/signal-desktop/signal-desktop-1.14.1-x86_64-1_slonly.txz

soniabu

PostPosted: Thu 07 Nov 2019, 14:00    Post subject:  

666philb wrote:
hi soniabu,

try slackwares signal https://packages.slackonly.com/pub/packages/14.2-x86_64/network/signal-desktop/signal-desktop-1.14.1-x86_64-1_slonly.txz

Many thx but...
you were kind in the suggestion only that i don't know the .txz files. I mean I don't know how to use them to install the application they contain.
I know how to unpacked but I don't know what to do next?

wait wait ... maybe i get it ... something is moving ... i'll tell you what happens next ...
soniabu

PostPosted: Thu 07 Nov 2019, 14:25    Post subject:  

soniabu wrote:
666philb wrote:
hi soniabu,

Many thx but...
you were kind in the suggestion only that i don't know the .txz files. I mean I don't know how to use them to install the application they contain.
I know how to unpacked but I don't know what to do next?

wait wait ... maybe i get it ... something is moving ... i'll tell you what happens next ...

Fantastic it works! txs 666
The only problem is that it is asking me to update the app and it sends me back
to the official site where I should repeat the procedure
that at the terminal causes the errors that I highlighted in the first shots.
Damn what bad luck!

many thx anyway

Last edited by soniabu on Thu 07 Nov 2019, 15:33; edited 1 time in total
fredx181

PostPosted: Thu 07 Nov 2019, 14:57    Post subject:  

Hi soniabu, here's direct link to the signal-desktop .deb from updates.signal.org

https://updates.signal.org/desktop/apt/pool/main/s/signal-desktop/signal-desktop_1.27.4_amd64.deb

Fred

soniabu

PostPosted: Thu 07 Nov 2019, 15:13    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
Hi soniabu, here's direct link to the signal-desktop .deb from updates.signal.org

https://updates.signal.org/desktop/apt/pool/main/s/signal-desktop/signal-desktop_1.27.4_amd64.deb

Fred

UHHHHH! I knew there were many solutions.
thank you so much Fred.
soniabu

PostPosted: Thu 07 Nov 2019, 15:22    Post subject:  

Fred, but where did you get that address ... so to understand. However, even your app works well and without requesting the update.
thanks
mikeslr

PostPosted: Thu 07 Nov 2019, 15:53    Post subject:  

Hi soniabu,

There are many solutions. I also don't know how to translate the commands you posted into something Puppies would understand. But, assuming you are running Xenialpup64 --ALWAYS TELL US AGAIN WHICH PUPPY--- I wondered if there might be an AppImage. If they work under a particular Puppy, all you have to do is (1) download them, (2) Right-Click them, select Properties, and place an "x" in each of the appropriate boxes to make them executable; then, and thereafter, Left-Click them.

Slightly outdated AppImages can be found here: https://cdn.andreafortuna.org/Signal-Desktop-Beta/.

I can tell you that under Xenialpup64 the signal-1.25.0 does open. See screenshot. That's as far as I can go.

Whether going further will suggest/require an Update I don't know. But, there's a post on the Forum explaining how to decompress and then update an AppImage. What the creator of the AppImage did was to include the files/configuration files the instructions on your post called for. If an 'upgrade' doesn't require those to be changed, then updating the AppImage should be easy: copying the new* files into the AppImage's "build-directory" overwriting or replacing the old. Once that is done, the AppImage can be repacked. Alternatively, the 'build-directory' can be used to create a pet or SFS. That might be a better approach. It's easier to "unpack" a pet or an SFS than an AppImage should later updates become necessary.

* The new files will be those in the deb you download(ed) from Signal's website.
Screenshot(1).png
 Description   Signal-Desktop AppImage running under Xenialpup64
 Filesize   58.31 KB
 Viewed   89 Time(s)

Screenshot(1).png

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Thu 07 Nov 2019, 16:15    Post subject:  

Huh. Yeah, that looks about how most of 'em are going nowadays.

The worldwide assumption is that everybody is using an Android smartphone. Since these things are so prevalent, and we live in an increasingly inter-connected world, it's getting so that the creators of many of these instant messaging apps are building first & foremost for Android.

If the desktop PC is considered at all, it's automatically assumed that you will naturally wish to link with your smartphone. Why wouldn't you want to? Therefore, if you want to use these apps on the desktop, it's assumed that you already have an account up-and-running, created, initially, on your phone.

Thus, it sooner or later becomes a mandatory requirement.

I, personally, can't be bothered with a smartphone. I don't wish to be constantly on-line, spouting/consuming crap via social networking sites. If that's what we're coming to, then count me out.

That's why I like Telegram. You can use it from anywhere.....and the only required validation is a phone number, regardless of platform of origin. Yes, I have a phone.....but it's a 'dumb-phone', only used for calls & texts, and does solely what I tell it to, when I tell it to.

Another victim of this is the GoogleChrome 'Cast' feature - 'casting' from PC to television. Sure, it still works.....but only once it's been validated, and initially set-up by, an Android phone. No appeals, no options. Take it or leave it.....

(*shakes head in disbelief*)

Chrome is the world's most popular browser. Android is the world's most popular phone OS. Both originate from Big Brother; so if you wish to interact with/between the two, you have to do it their way.

Or not at all. Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad

Mike. Wink

fredx181

PostPosted: Thu 07 Nov 2019, 16:30    Post subject:  

soniabu wrote:
Fred, but where did you get that address ... so to understand. However, even your app works well and without requesting the update.
thanks

It's the same deb downloaded as when following the instructions from https://signal.org/#page-top (to be clear: it's not my app). I installed it officially on Debian with apt-get and found the direct link address in the logs.

Fred

mikeslr

PostPosted: Thu 07 Nov 2019, 16:44    Post subject:  

Mike,

While you're still flexible enough to adapt, get a smartphone. Apps on Smartphones are now "a" way to pay for things at stores. But the way things are going, sometime during your lifetime, smartphones with apps will replace both credit/debit cards and checks. And maybe 'money' in the sense of that printed/minted by governments.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Thu 07 Nov 2019, 18:21    Post subject:  

Hi, Mike.

Point taken, mate. Though I can't say as I can see 'cash' disappearing down the pan during my lifetime. I may have another 30 some-odd years to go, God willing.....but why has the UK govt invested so much capital over the last few years, replacing the UK's entire stock of banknotes with virtually indestructable polymer versions?

We haven't yet reached the stage you ole boys have been at for quite some time, where if you're one of the rare 'oddballs' who wants to pay for things with cash, everybody looks at you funny, as though there's summat seriously wrong with you. We may well be heading that way, but I'll worry about it when it happens.

(It's coming to something when folk no longer quibble over a few numbers on an electronic screen - which requires a guaranteed supply of electricity to continue to function. But present them with real, physical 'cash in the hand'.....and they throw up those same appendages in horror? Jeezus H. f***in' Christ alive; what are we coming to? Just because your dozy President is determined to broil the planet alive in its own juices just to keep his cronies and sycophants in work, it doesn't mean we all have to follow suit.....'cos I'm pretty certain the US's power supply will be generated by good old, high-polluting, fossil fuel (coal) for the forseeable future.

And the worst of it is that Trump doesn't care what happens beyond his own, insignificant lifetime.....does he?)

I do not like smartphones. And I doubt I'm going to change my opinion any time soon....

(Besides, if it ever gets to the point where I have no say in the matter any longer, I'm fortunate to be 'tech-savvy' enough to be able to adapt quickly. That's one field I don't ever see me losing an interest in.) Smile

--------------------------------

"Rant" over, my friend. Nothing 'personal' there, I assure you..!

Mike. Wink

soniabu

PostPosted: Thu 07 Nov 2019, 18:50    Post subject:  

Thanks to all my friends for their precise and comprehensive answers.
sonia
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: