Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 21 Nov 2019, 09:23
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
What is the Proper Way to Update Vivaldi in Puppy?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
jaje

PostPosted: Fri 08 Nov 2019, 09:52    Post subject:  What is the Proper Way to Update Vivaldi in Puppy?  

I have been just downloading the latest installation file for Vivaldi browser when they came out with an update, but now see all the versions, previous and current, listed in Puppy Package Manager.

What is the proper way to update? Uninstall the old and install the new? Will it keep my settings, bookmarks, etc.

Thanks!
mikeslr

PostPosted: Fri 08 Nov 2019, 10:50    Post subject:  

The proper way is not to install vivaldi at all. You should be using a frugal install with vivaldi.sfses. Download and then sfs-load the vivaldi.sfs. When a new version becomes available, download the new, unload the old, sfs-load the new. If for any reason there's a problem with the new, you can unload it and continue using your old until an even newer version is available to try.

As additional advantages, SFSes when not in use require less RAM than installed pets. They are also more difficult to corrupt.

You can find vivaldi sfses here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1037400#1037400

Pets are written to your SaveFile/Folder. If successive versions are built the same way, the new version's files overwrite the old. You can't revert as the uninstall instructions removes files required by the previous version. If the successive versions are not built exactly the same way, files installed by the prior version, unneeded by the new, remain in your SaveFile/Folder just taking up space. If you uninstall before installing a newer version there's no certainty that the new version will work OOTB leaving you with the options of finding and fixing or hunting for a copy of the old version.

Except when an application is built on the python framework differing than that of a builtin or installed application's --vivaldi and AFAIK no web-browser is-- a pet can be converted to an SFS. Find out how.* [Python files in an SFS have lower priority than those in a SaveFile/Folder and don't get used].

And, if your not using a Frugal install, Why aren't you?

But, in case you missed the implications: Either (1) don't bother to uninstall before installing the new as the old's files will likely be over-written; or (2) before uninstalling the new make sure that you have a copy of the old's pet. In your case, make certain you have a copy of the newest pet. Then uninstall all --it doesn't matter what order-- and reinstall the new pet. Better yet, convert it to an SFS, uninstall all the pets and load your SFS.

Bye the way. when you uninstall a pet not all of the space it used is recovered.

Regarding settings and bookmarks. I'm not sure about vivaldi. Google-Chrome and opera write them to a file which is not among the list of files to be removed when a pet is uninstalled or SFS unloaded. They appear when the new version is installed/loaded. But just to be on the safe-side, export your book marks and make a list of your addons.

-=-=-=-=-=
* How to convert a pet to an SFS: (Takes less than 2 minutes)
Caution: Unloading an SFS located anywhere in /root deletes it.
(1) Optional -- If the pet is located in /root/Downloads move it elsewhere:
(2) Right-Click the pet and from the popup menu select UExtract.
(3) Within the extraction folder with the name of the pet and an ending of "pet.extracted" will be another with the just the name.
(4) Optional -- you can Right-Click that folder and shorten its name or change its name to whatever is more meaningful.
(5) Optional -- within the above folder will be a file named "pet.specs". You can delete it. SFSes don't use "pet.specs"
(5) Right-Click an empty space NEXT TO THE FOLDER and from the popup window select Window >Terminal Here.
(6) Enter the following code in the terminal: dir2sfs EXACT_NAME_OF_FOLDER.
An SFS with that name will be created next to the folder. You can Right-Click it and choose SFS-Load to test it. It will offer to copy to /mnt/home. If you do not accept that offer, remember the above Caution.

Last edited by mikeslr on Fri 08 Nov 2019, 21:05; edited 1 time in total
jaje

PostPosted: Fri 08 Nov 2019, 20:53    Post subject:  

Thanks for the detailed reply! I used the vivaldi downloader .pet as per the link at http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117244 .

It was simple to use and generated the .sfs and then loaded it, no problem.

I didn't even have to import bookmarks or settings; it incorporated them automatically.

Yes, I have always used a frugal install, by the way.

Thanks again!!
mikeslr

PostPosted: Fri 08 Nov 2019, 21:26    Post subject:  

Hi jaje,

Thanks for the link to 01micko's November 1st pet. Needless to say, he does great work. I somehow missed it when searching for a recent version to include in my reply.

I like vivaldi. Not sure I like it more than opera. Will have to play with both and compare. Preferences among web-browsers are always personal -- or the reason to start a flame-war. Laughing

p.s. Just tried the pet and discovered that, as you wrote, it creates an SFS. Interesting that the pet gives you the choice of running as Root or Spot. Opened without a hitch under Xenialpup64. As I said, 01micko does great work.
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: