Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 21 Nov 2019, 09:46
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
Which USB Bluetooth adapters will work with Puppy?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
dancytron

PostPosted: Fri 26 Apr 2019, 21:17    Post subject:  Which USB Bluetooth adapters will work with Puppy?  

I want to get one of those cheap usb bluetooth adapters so I can use my new cheap bluetooth headphones with my desktop.

There seem to be a large variety on ebay for $5 or so. Is it like wireless cards where some are supported by the kernel and work out of the box, some need effort to make work and some will never work? Or do they pretty much all work?

Any way to tell which ones work out of the box without actually trying them out?

edit: I saw this and will search for them on ebay, but they don't seem to be the $5 ones. https://wiki.ubuntu.comHardwareSupportComponentsBluetoothUsbAdapters Very Happy
dancytron

PostPosted: Sat 27 Apr 2019, 14:23    Post subject:  

Okay, for $5 I am just going to take my chances. I got the cheapest one on ebay shipping from the U.S. that has "Linux" in the description.

I'll report back if it works.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-USB-Bluetooth-CSR-4-0-3-0-Adapter-Dongle-Windows-7-8-10-PC-Laptop-US-SELLER/163372416634
jamesbond

PostPosted: Wed 01 May 2019, 01:31    Post subject:  

Anything that isn't made by broadcom would be a good start.
But please do report back Laughing

dancytron

PostPosted: Wed 01 May 2019, 01:58    Post subject:  

I've got it and it works (Debian Dog Stretch) in the sense that I can pair my head phones and my android phone with it. I can send files to my android phone (which I can also do over wifi). To do this, all I had to do was install "bluetooth" and "blueman" and their dependencies and reboot.

The problem is that in order to use the headphones (which was the main thing), you need to have pulse audio. There is some software that looks kind of like apulse for bluetooth that needs to be compiled. See https://github.com/Arkq/bluez-alsa I will try to use this, but it might be the middle of next week before I can do it.

These 2 links seem at least somewhat relevant

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/12338621/a2dp-sink-without-pulseaudio

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/91278/why-does-pulseaudio-handle-the-sound-quality-connection-to-a-bt-device

This is it:

Quote:
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode)

edit: I found the application "bluealsa" on the Raspberry Pi website almost by mistake. https://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/pool/main/b/bluealsa/

Now my headset connects without error.

I am closer, but not quite there yet.
gychang

PostPosted: Thu 23 May 2019, 23:06    Post subject:  

Is there an easier usb bluetooth transmitter that is less hassle to setup in puppy (BionicPup64 and Quirky Beaver64)??, willing to pay little more from Amazon....
belham2

PostPosted: Fri 08 Nov 2019, 05:13    Post subject:  

Hi all,

Has anyone gotten bluetooth (specifically, that is a Broadcom-based usb dongle---which the vast majority on Amazon are) to work in any puppy? Especially Phil's Xenial/Bionic ?

If so, can you specify what you did exactly? Neither Mistfire's excellent p3bluetooth or Rsrcn51's bluetooth apps help much when it the USB bluetooth dongle is based on these sh#tty Broadcom chips.

This is one case, imho, where it should be Intel all the way.

My old, trusty Intel USB bluetooth dongle in my Fatdog laptop fires right up, but this other USB bluetooth dongle based on Broadcom is just crap---across all Phil's/Peebee's/Mistfire/Barrys/etc creations.

Frustrating.....
mistfire

PostPosted: Fri 08 Nov 2019, 05:47    Post subject:  

@belham

Bluetooth devices work depends on your kernel and firmware that the puppy is using. Here are the options:

1. Switch kernel
2. Install firmware driver

Make sure that bluez was installed
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Fri 08 Nov 2019, 07:00    Post subject:  

This has nothing to do with kernels or chipsets or firmware. Bluetooth client packages are NOT portable. They only work on the platform where they were built.
perdido

PostPosted: Fri 08 Nov 2019, 10:56    Post subject:  

belham2 wrote:
Hi all,

Has anyone gotten bluetooth (specifically, that is a Broadcom-based usb dongle---which the vast majority on Amazon are) to work in any puppy? Especially Phil's Xenial/Bionic ?

If so, can you specify what you did exactly? Neither Mistfire's excellent p3bluetooth or Rsrcn51's bluetooth apps help much when it the USB bluetooth dongle is based on these sh#tty Broadcom chips.

This is one case, imho, where it should be Intel all the way.

My old, trusty Intel USB bluetooth dongle in my Fatdog laptop fires right up, but this other USB bluetooth dongle based on Broadcom is just crap---across all Phil's/Peebee's/Mistfire/Barrys/etc creations.

Frustrating.....

I have wasted more time than I will admit to trying to get my Broadcom BT device working consistently.
Code:
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0a5c:4500 Broadcom Corp. BCM2046B1 USB 2.0 Hub (part of BCM2046 Bluetooth)
Bus 005 Device 002: ID 0a5c:5801 Broadcom Corp. BCM5880 Secure Applications Processor with fingerprint swipe sensor

These are an integrated device from Dell (Dell Wireless 370 Bluetooth Minicard).
Just adding this for info purposes, not looking for the magic to make it useable.

/
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
Jump to: