palemoon browser

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Mike Walsh

#841 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ tallboy:-

We're getting rather off-topic here, I know, but just refresh my memory, would you? IIIRC, doesn't Tahr 606 come with the 3.14.79 kernel as standard?

It's entirely possible that the default kernel contains drivers that cover your monitor, which your choice of kernel doesn't..... BTW, I find it curious that you went for an older kernel in order to get PAE ability for accessing all your swap. I have (in total) around 24 GB of swap space. dotted here & there around all my drives/partitions - basically, I stick swap space anywhere I have the odd couple of GB or so to spare, with the exception of the small SSD in my system; that needs spare space left for garbage-collection to function properly, since it doesn't support TRIM. Tahrpup 6.0.6 uefi, running in bog-standard trim, recognises every Kb of it.....

Mike. :wink:

tallboy

#842 Post by tallboy »

True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

Walter Dnes

#843 Post by Walter Dnes »

tallboy wrote:I changed the kernel in a 32-bit Tahr-6.0.6, to be able to address all the memory in the swap partition. I used the 3.14.11_PAE kernel.
I believe that PAE is used only for accessing more than 4 gigabytes of RAM. Stuff that's swapped out to disk is not being executed, so the cpu doesn't worry about it.

With PAE, any single process can still access only 4 gigs of ram. But you can do stuff like running 2 or 3 processes simultaneously accessing their own separate 4 gigabytes of RAM (if available) without swapping out. That's where PAE helps.

Mike Walsh

#844 Post by Mike Walsh »

Interesting. I wasn't aware 606 was no-PAE. Stlll makes no difference to me, though; I have 3 GB of the stuff, so come in under that threshhold anyway.

tallboy

#845 Post by tallboy »

Thank you for the info, Walter. :D

Edit: Hmm, my other brain cell (not in sync, I'm afraid...) reminded me of an instance, mentioned in some thread here, where Pup-SysInfo told me that I only had 3.8 or 3.9 Gb swap on my PC with a 6Gb swap partition. :?
And BTW, none of my Puppys have ever needed 4 gig for a process... :lol:

Walter Dnes

#846 Post by Walter Dnes »

tallboy wrote:Edit: Hmm, my other brain cell (not in sync, I'm afraid...) reminded me of an instance, mentioned in some thread here, where Pup-SysInfo told me that I only had 3.8 or 3.9 Gb swap on my PC with a 6Gb swap partition. :?
That was probably 3.8 remaining unused. I.e. 2.2 gigs of swap were already in use.
tallboy wrote:And BTW, none of my Puppys have ever needed 4 gig for a process... :lol:
Say you have 8 gigs of ram with PAE. 4 programs can simultaneously use 2 gigabytes each or 8 programs can use 1 gigabyte of ram each, although no single process (not necessarily a program) can use more than 4 gigabytes. Without PAE, you're limited to 4 gigabytes of ram. PAE is useful in 32-bit mode if you have more than 4 gigs of ram and are running multiple programs simultaneously.

tallboy

#847 Post by tallboy »

Thanks again, Walter. :D

Mike Walsh

#848 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ tallboy:-

Olaf, have you ever considered using the gKrellM system monitor?

It's a tiny little thing, size-wise.....only around 1 MB, all in. It's very configurable, and, amongst other things, you can set it to always display the state of your RAM usage and swap usage.

http://gkrellm.srcbox.net/

Note the title; it's a 'stack' of process monitors. The beauty of this thing is that you can set it to display as many (or as few) of those processes as you want. Mine looks like this (I've indicated the RAM/swap meters at the bottom of the left-hand, static shot, and included a GIF of the thing in action as well):-

Image >>----> Image

Mine has a black theme, but there's a page here with about a million and one different themes:-

http://www.muhri.net/gkrellm/nav.php3?n ... &sort=name

You might decide you just want the clock, RAM & swap meters, and your uptime. Like this:-

You don't have to show all the other stuff if you don't want to. And that's the whole point of Bill Wilson's 'widget'......it is totally configurable. You can show just what you want. You can alter the sizes of everything. You can put it anywhere you like on the screen. You can have it on just one desktop, or on all of 'em. Etc., etc....

I've got pre-built .pets I've compiled for several different Puppies. Let me know if you're interested. Entirely up to you.

(If ya want a quick tutorial on how to set-it up, drop me a line; it's not that intuitive, unfortunately.)

sindi

palemoon in racy - cannot sign into ebay

#849 Post by sindi »

Palemoon in Debiandog Jessie signs into ebay, but in racy the Sign In link is greyed out (instead of blue). I tried allowing all cookies and disabling eMatrix. Racy PM has worked otherwise, so far.

sindi

Racy Puppy signs into ebay wtih eMatrix disabled

#850 Post by sindi »

I had to disable eMatrix so that ebay Sign In would not be greyed out, then Ctr-R to reload the site.

I did not see any sign of eMatrix in upper right of the page so I could not accept any javascript.

The problem occurs on two unrelated computers, in PM 27.9.4 and 28.7.1. I never had this problem with the supposedly dangerous noscript.

sindi

racy/PM 28.7 will not load ebay photos

#851 Post by sindi »

I cannot print ebay labels with Palemoon 27.9.4 in Lupu 2016, but PM 28.7.1 prints them in Racy. (In Lucid I get a blank page even allowing ALL javascript).

I cannot upload usable photos with PM28.7.1 in Racy - they all come out corrupt.

Same computer and photos.

Would someone please confirm that I am not doing something stupid in Racy?
I disabled eta-matrix for the site. System-wide adblocker.

So now I list things on ebay with Lucid, and mail them with Racy. Better than mailing with Windows. I sell cell phones (not by the seashore), 10-20 years old for a local charity.

Jody Thornton

#852 Post by Jody Thornton »

Is there any way to effectively search the forum and find out what is the latest version of Pale Moon that will run on Precise Puppy v5.7.1 ? Thanks for your help.

The search on here is harder to navigate, and I don't want to read pages of a thread to find the answer.
Cheers,
[b]Jody Thornton[/b]
(Richmond Hill, Ontario)

OscarTalks

#853 Post by OscarTalks »

Palemoon 28.7.1 in Precise Puppy 5.7.1
They have changed the latest builds to work in older 32bit distros.
Attachments
pale-precise571.jpg
Try this one
(56.02 KiB) Downloaded 574 times
Oscar in England

Jody Thornton

#854 Post by Jody Thornton »

Excellent - I know Matt Tobin had eluded something to this a few days ago. Perfect. I'll upgrade then. :)
Cheers,
[b]Jody Thornton[/b]
(Richmond Hill, Ontario)

Mike Walsh

#855 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hey, Jody. Long time, man....

Yep, Oscar's right. Tobin was saying this on the Palemoon Forum a couple of weeks ago. The build environment's been stabilized around conditions that will work fine with 5-series Pups and up.....and that build environment is set to remain stable for the foreseeable future, so the next few builds, at least, should remain compatible with Precise (amongst many others).

Have a look here, and try my 'portable' build (based on the version Fredx181 put together for FF-Quantum):-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=115119

Run it from anywhere outside of 'Puppy-space'...../mnt/home's a good location for it - and start it from the 'plmn' script inside the 'palemoon32' directory. First run, it creates your profile internal to the Palemoon directory; second and subsequent runs, so long as you always start it via the 'plmn' launch-script, it will always use that internal profile.

Which means you can copy that 'palemoon32' directory anywhere, and you have a fully-functional, personalized browser, ready set-up the way you want it. (Don't thank me; thank Fred. I just 'borrowed' the idea.)

The version in my hosting a/c is a few releases out of date, but it'll quickly upgrade to the current version via the built-in updater.

---------------------------------------------

With regard to a better way to search the Forum, there's a couple of options. There's this Google Custom Search - I'm not certain who set it up, but it finds stuff on murga-linux far quicker than the Forum's own search engine:-

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643 ... #gsc.tab=0

.....and tuxtoo has upgraded the old 'Wellminded' search engine:-

http://wellminded.net63.net/

Bookmark 'em both, and try 'em for size.

Walter Dnes

#856 Post by Walter Dnes »

There's a survey question on the Pale Moon forum, by Moonchild himself, https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=23273 asking about switching to .xz archives to reduce Pale Moon's tarball size. "Puppy Linux" is a mixed bag of various versions. Is anybody currently running Pale Moon on a Puppy version that has no support for xz? Before answering "yes", check if it's available, but not currently installed on your system. This survey is obviously limited to Puppies modern enough to run Pale Moon.

watchdog

#857 Post by watchdog »

The oldest puppy where palemoon 28 runs is wary but it needs an unofficial glibc tweak and LC_ALL=C. Wary has not native xz compression capability but the package of palemoon for wary can easily be built with racy (which is derived from wary with new kernel and new xorg) for example: racy can manage xz compression. More recent puppies can manage xz compression as I know. So no problems for me.

tallboy

#858 Post by tallboy »

I write this from a PM 28.7.2 in tahrpup64 6.0.6, and xz version 5.1.0alpha is present here.

Walter Dnes

#859 Post by Walter Dnes »

I just booted Slacko Puppy 5.3 off of a USB stick on a refurbished Lenovo laptop. "xz --help" shows a help screen, so I know it exists there. I believe it's the oldest "official" Puppy that supports Pale Moon 28.x. Slacko 5.4 is currently installed on the laptop hard drive.

Walter Dnes

#860 Post by Walter Dnes »

The latest version has been released (28.8.0). See http://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes.shtml for change list. For those who download tarballs direct from http://linux.palemoon.org/download/mainline/ note that they're now "xz" format. "tar" is generic enough that it can figure out file type if you have the appropriate unarchiver on your system. E.g. for palemoon-28.8.0.linux-i686.tar.xz you can simply command line...

tar xf pale*.xz

Note that wildcards are capable of unarchiving multiple files, if they're present in the directory.