Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 18 Jan 2020, 15:57
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
freetuxtv
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
memo

PostPosted: Wed 20 Nov 2019, 10:21    Post subject:  freetuxtv  

hi,

I was surfing the forum and I found this nice app called freetuxtv, it seems promising but unfortunately it doesn't work, it just start and disappear. am I missing some dependencies or should I do some configuration. In case that it doesn't work anymore do we have a good alternative for puppy xenilla 32 bit ?
mikeslr

PostPosted: Wed 20 Nov 2019, 14:05    Post subject:  

Hi memo,

freetuxtv is an interesting (re)discovery. It was in BionicPup64's Puppy Package Manager so I downloaded it and dependencies --No Install-- placed the debs in a folder named freetuxtv_xen64-0.6.8 and used PaDS to create an SFS which I sfs-loaded.

Ran ldd on /usr/bin/freetuxtv which produced the attached report: remove the false "tar" ending and open in a text-editor. ldd has a tab which shows 'what's missing'. Nothing was. I may have added some 'frame-work' libraries to BionicPup64. The full report may help someone identify what missing libraries may prevent freetuxtv from working.

Starting freetuxtv via the terminal did show errors. Remove false tar and open in a text-editor. I don't know what to make of them; nor how to fix them.

The application did open. It is an extension of VLC. Newer versions of VLC will not run as Root. That's probably one of the reasons freetuxtv crashed on your system. But my VLC employed one of the work-arounds. I don't recall which.

freetuxtv did open. I imported English language stations. None produced a video display. Some selected reported they were playing, but there was no sound generated. Some reported an error (maybe the station was no longer 'on the air'). A couple produced sound. VLC uses pulse-audio by default, but can be configured to use apulse --which mine is. Puppies have problems with pulse-audio.

A functional freetuxtv would be great. But figuring out what needs to be done is beyond my ability.

I don't know of a good alternative.
ldd-of-freetuxtv.txt.rar
Description  Shows all required dependencies. REMOVE false 'rar' ending
rar

Download 
Filename  ldd-of-freetuxtv.txt.rar 
Filesize  3.03 KB 
Downloaded  14 Time(s) 
terminal-report-freetuxtv.txt.rar
Description  Errors revealed when started via terminal. REMOVE false 'rar' ending
rar

Download 
Filename  terminal-report-freetuxtv.txt.rar 
Filesize  3.03 KB 
Downloaded  19 Time(s) 
memo

PostPosted: Wed 20 Nov 2019, 14:49    Post subject:  

Thanks mikeslr for taking the time to investigate it further. It would be nice if the community pay more attention to some apps that can fill the gap between the windows experience and the Linux experience. for instance rambox can be used int he 32 systems to provide skype, slake and many more apps that wouldn't be available otherwise. the one that is already provided and not all the apps are working now, few days ago I posted asking whether anymore can update it, no response yet.

I also believe that if the community can get freetuxtv to work well, it would be very interesting and attractive to use puppy on a daily basis, even if it is only entertainment, at least this is how I feel.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Wed 20 Nov 2019, 15:53    Post subject:  

@ mikeslr:-

Mike:-

Looking at your terminal output, and putting my considering cap on, I would hazard a guess that there's 4 main issues.

1) It wants GTK-3.0. Uh-huh; do-able.

2) There's issues with some of the GTK-dialog stuff, plus it's looking for non-existent items in /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas. Again, this can probably be sorted...gtk-dialog issues are not always critical to the point of preventing things from actually running.

3) It expects to find PulseAudio. (Now there's a surprise..! Rolling Eyes) Apulse, maybe?

4) On top of all that, it's like a lot of other newer apps; it's been written to expect to run as a 'user' only. Root not permitted...!! Laughing Probably get round that one running as 'Spot' from /home (create /home if necessary).

---------------------------

And so on.....and on. VLC's the only possible 'sticking-point'; current versions are getting very finicky about how they run. Must be a 'user' only.....and even then, they won't always 'play ball'. Personally speaking, I would have been happier if it had been written to use MPlayer, rather than VLC...

It would need 'looking into', certainly. I, for one, don't currently have the time.....though it might be nice to get it up-and-running.

A lot of those errors aren't dissimilar to what we've encountered with Chrome, over the last 18 months or so. Ya get my drift?

Mike. Wink

Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: