(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 19 Sep 2020, 22:38
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Saving file Is full
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 3 of 3 [35 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
memo

PostPosted: Wed 20 Nov 2019, 04:09    Post subject:  

Quote:
If you use grub4dos as bootloader: change pmedia=atahd in the menu.lst file to pmedia=ataflash

when I try to install the os I usually choose search and then identify the the hard disk. what option should I choose now?
memo

PostPosted: Wed 20 Nov 2019, 05:36    Post subject:  

Quote:
changing atahd to ataflash. In this situation Puppy will "think" you are booting from and using a flashdrive.

this has solved a different problem I had in this link http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117356 . thanks
memo

PostPosted: Wed 20 Nov 2019, 05:53    Post subject:  

@mikeslr

mikeslr wrote:
memo, you posted while I was typing. Yes /mnt/home is a good location. See my post just above. So is a USB-Stick.

Unintentionally edited. The following was supposed to be a replay to memo's response next following.

There are other ways, and some may be more flexible. But the quickest way to make certain data never gets written to your SaveFile/folder is:

Open a file-manager window to your home partition (/mnt/home) -- click it's desktop drive icon.
Open a file-manager window to ~root --the desktop icon at the top-left corner sometimes named "files" is a short-cut on most newly installed Puppies.

Left-Press, Hold then drag the my-documents folder from ~root on to the /mnt/home Window. From the popup menu select Move

Left-Press, Hold then drag the my-documents folder back to ~root. Select Link(relative) from the popup menu. Remember to execute a Save.

Almost all applications will initially offer to write datafiles to /my-documents and will offer to 'look in' my-documents when you want to open a document. But the my-documents folder will --as with other LInuxes-- now be on storage. Applications are merely following the symbolic link (short-cut) in RAM to the storage media.

You can, of course, create sub-folders in /my-documents to keep your data files organized.

I have applied this, would yo kindly have a look at the screenshot and tell me whether it is correctly done or not. thanks
desktop.png
Description 
png

Download 
Filename  desktop.png 
Filesize  142.93 KB 
Downloaded  108 Time(s) 
mikeslr

PostPosted: Wed 20 Nov 2019, 12:30    Post subject:  

Hi memo,

Looks good to me. The my-documents folder in ~root has an arrow indicating it's a symbolic link. The my-documents folder on /mnt/home is just a normal folder. If you place your mouse cursor on /root/my-documents you'll get a tool-tip showing the physical location of the folder. [Works with files too. A folder is just a visual representation of a specialized file, one to which other files are/can-be 'attached'.

Now that you mastered the procedure, file-browse to ~root and left-click rox's EYE. You'll see the 'hidden files' and folders. Their names all start with a "."/dot. AFAIK, they're hidden so that people don't inadvertently delete them; or maybe just to avoid confusion as they're rarely modified by hand.

With 'hidden files' showing you may see folders named .mozilla and .moonchild productions. They will be there if your Puppy came with firefox/seamonkey or palemoon respectively AND you opened it/them. Firefox/seamokey stores 'profiles' in the .mozilla folder; palemoon in the moonchild production folder. If you are now using portables, they won't use the /~root/.mozilla or /~root/.moonchild production folders so you can delete them. Or leave them. They don't use a great deal of space.

More important is the content of the hidden ~root/.cache folder. Within it may be another set of mozilla and moonchild productions folders. These are where the non-portable versions of firefox/seamonkey and palemoon store internet cache. Again, if you have now 'gone portable' you can delete the folders which no longer will be used. But, if you are still using a builtin or installed version, you can move it/them to /mnt/home and symlink it/them back using the same technique you used with the my-documents folder.

In order to try to maintain some order for the files on my /mnt/home, I created a folder into which the .cache/mozilla or .cache/moonchild production folder(s) were moved. I named it "web-stuff":
Right-click an empty space on /mnt/home and from the popup menu select New>directory. Give it a name, e.g. web-stuff. Then move and symlink-back the appropriate cache folder.

Cache will no longer inadvertently become stored in your SaveFile. But just as importantly no longer occupy RAM. You'll have more RAM available for accomplishing tasks faster.

One more thing you can consider doing. If you collect lots of different datafiles --music files, videos, pdfs, whatever-- rather than just having them as subfolders in /mnt/home/my-documents you can create specific folders on /mnt/home, drag them to ~root and select Link(relative) or drag them from /mnt/home/my-documents to ~root and select Link(relative). Then your applications will offer to save-to and open-from those folders without you're having to browse to them.
memo

PostPosted: Thu 21 Nov 2019, 16:13    Post subject:  

@ mikeslr

Thanks for the extensive explanation. will surely apply that Smile
Page 3 of 3 [35 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: