(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 19 Sep 2020, 22:44
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Thunderbird update ate my mail
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]  
Walt52

PostPosted: Sat 09 Nov 2019, 19:43    Post subject:  Thunderbird update ate my mail
Subject description: Installing new (or updated) tbird is one thing, but what about my old mail file?

I'm using precise 5.7.1 and I had thunderbird portable (don't remember the distro, but it was fairly old). It ran an involuntary update, and now I can't open it. It had lots more mail than my gmail account has, but while I've reinstalled 45 from the PPM, it only put in 7 current emails.
Where is my old mail and how can I get into it?
When I hit the old Tbird, it says" Now running on the virtual storage "unionfs" but this script must be placed on an actual storage mounted under "mnt". Recommend: some folder under 'mnt/home' when I hit "build anyway," I get "t-bird installer 0.1 fatal error"
I've also downloaded the new t-bird, which is an exe file, and it won't install it.
Any hints?
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 09 Nov 2019, 20:12    Post subject:  

Hallo, Walt.

Now; while I can help you to install a fairly new, completely self-contained portable Thunderbird (T-Bird 60) - based on the way Fredx181 has built his portable FF-Quantum - I need to know one thing first.

Do you use the IMAP protocol, keeping e-mails in 'the cloud'.....or are you one of these folks who like to use the older POP3 protocol, where you keep all of your e-mails locally, on your own machine?

It sounds like the latter to me.

Because if it is the latter, then I freely admit that I don't have a clue how this is done, since I have never, ever accessed my e-mails in this fashion. It can certainly be done in this manner, yes; but you'll need advice from someone who keeps their emails in this way, before we know exactly how to set-up the portable's 'internal' profile to accommodate this.

Incidentally, who's your e-mail provider?

Over to you...

Mike. Wink

perdido

PostPosted: Sat 09 Nov 2019, 21:13    Post subject:  

I use an extremely dated thunderbird version 3 that copies the downloaded popserver mail to
/root/.mozilla/.thunderbird/#unique#.default/Mail/

The ImapMail goes to
/root/.mozilla/.thunderbird/#unique#.default/ImapMail/

The #unique# represents a string of text and letters which is unique to your installation.

This may or may not apply to a later version of thunderbird.

The only reason I am using this bleeding edge version 3 is that version 1.5 couldn't log me in after a server upgrade on the mail side Smile
Quote:
I've also downloaded the new t-bird, which is an exe file, and it won't install it.
Any hints?

Its a windows version. Smile

mikeslr

PostPosted: Sat 09 Nov 2019, 22:41    Post subject:  

Walt52 "I've also downloaded the new t-bird, which is an exe file, and it won't install it."

perdido "Its a windows version. Smile"

That, and perhaps the following: Although Thunderbird received the highest rating (platinum) regarding its ability to run under Wine, https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=1824, the last version of Thunderbird which could run under Windows XP was 52. The latest version is 68. Although Wine can run some programs created for Windows 7 and above, Thunderbird may not be one of them. Portable version 60 isn't.
rockedge

PostPosted: Sun 10 Nov 2019, 14:51    Post subject:  

Wow I thought I was the only one!

I selected "Unread" used Ctrl-A to select all those unread emails and Thunderbird reported 7 mails selected...I clicked delete and ALL 200 emails I was saving were gone...

I tested that behavior out and it happened again in the Unified Folders view.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 10 Nov 2019, 15:27    Post subject:  

Y'know, I guess I must be missing something here, somewhere along the line.

Because I cannot for the life of me understand the sense, let alone the point, in keeping every single email you've ever sent or received locally, on your own machine. I mean, why??

I had this same 'difference of opinion' with somebody over at LQ.org, not so long ago. He stated that it was very important to him to be able, at a moment's notice, to be able to locate (for argument's sake) a specific email he may have received (in the example given) 13 ½ yrs ago..!

Huh??!??

I asked him how much space his emails were taking up, bearing in mind that he was using something like 5 or 6 different mail accounts. His answer was that his mail folders almost completely filled a 500 GB external drive, and that he considered carrying this drive around with him, everywhere he went, to be an acceptable 'trade-off'.....

To each their own, I guess..! Rolling Eyes

Mike. Wink

some1

PostPosted: Sun 10 Nov 2019, 16:55    Post subject:  

Quote:
I had this same 'difference of opinion' with somebody over at LQ.org

This fellow?
https://cryptome.org/iq-org/IQ.ORG.htm
rockedge

PostPosted: Sun 10 Nov 2019, 17:37    Post subject:  

@Mike

Thunderbird deleted all the emails on an IMAP mail server. My emails are programming code snippets and tips. The ones I save are all important computer program pieces that are collected over time. Including fixes and notes on packages. All the mail lives in the cloud but thunderbird's latest version uncontrolled deleted most of the stuff on my email server, on my google and hotmail (live) email accounts as well. I only observed this horrible bug when in the unified folders mode so far.

Plus all of a sudden I have terabytes of storage that can hold every piece of text that is stored in my local library...so what difference will even 10000 emails stored, make?
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 10 Nov 2019, 18:05    Post subject:  

@ rockedge:-

Hm. I guess I've not come across this one, for the simple reason that a) I keep my emails regularly 'pruned', so there's never many left showing anyway, and b) I always select the items for deletion individually, rather than using the keyboard shortcuts.....

Mike. Wink

Walt52

PostPosted: Mon 11 Nov 2019, 21:30    Post subject:  

Hi Mike:
I have gmail, and I went there and asked that they get Pop3 mail. . .and it did! Now of course there's not enough room for all of it (it goes back to 2010), but that tells me it's stored at Gmail.

I see your point about culling the dross, and I will try to do that. May have to if Tbird says there's no room.

Thanks, too, to Perdido. I DID download an older version from PPM, and that DID work.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Tue 12 Nov 2019, 08:15    Post subject:  

@ Walt:-

You might be as well to 'install'/use one of the 'portable' T-Birds I put together, using Fredx181's portable-Quantum FF as a template. It creates its own, new profile inside the portable version, so I would then set-up a new account, using your existing mail addy, and selecting the POP3 protocol.

These 'portables' can run from anywhere - a USB flash drive, for example - so you could use a decent-sized one (32 GB/64 GB, say), and keep both the portable and all your Mail folders on there. I've done a bit of research into the locations T-Bird uses for 'local' mail with POP3; I think you can create a separate directory on the flash drive, outside T-Bird, keep all your Mail folders in there, and sym-link it into your profile in the appropriate place.

It'll help to keep things a bit more 'compartmentalised'.

Up to you, of course.....but that's the way I use portable T-Bird myself (except in my case, it's on an external, 'remote' data partition, and shared between all Puppies in the kennels. And mine's IMAP, rather than POP3....but it'll still work the same, since it downloads your mail, rather than just 'reading' them.)

And doing it this way, you get the same effect as using IMAP; you can access your email from anywhere, while retaining it all 'locally'.....

Mike. Wink

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Fri 22 Nov 2019, 07:53; edited 1 time in total
Walt52

PostPosted: Fri 22 Nov 2019, 01:09    Post subject:  

Yes, I WAS using a Portable T-bird, and we were very happy. . .until she left me flat one night! Don't know where I got the one I had (thought it was from PPM), but I'll try to get another and store it as you suggest. Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]  
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: