Bionicpup64 8.0 CE

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
bigpup

#1021 Post by bigpup »

Sorry you do not understand that answer is not just for you.

You asked why Nouveau is used by default?
Because it usually just works with any Nvidia hardware.
That is what you want to happen the very first time you try to boot Bionicpup64 8.0.

If Bionicpup64 8.0 was 4GB in size. It could come with every possible driver and firmware, already installed.
Not going to get every possible thing in a 300 to 400 MB OS.
I asked to have "nvidia" instead of "nouveau" driver to have better video performances. If it doesnt work with some old hardware (which is rare nowadays),
I have some old Nvidia hardware that the latest Nvidia driver will not support.
The last driver to support it was the Nvidia 173 series ones.
I can not even compile that driver in Bionicpup64 8.0
The software the diver package wants to use for compiling is too old or no longer used.
Even if it would compile.
Bionicpup64 8.0 is using to new of everything else, to get it to run.

Puppy Linux tries to support as much older hardware as possible.
Generic graphics drivers OTB do that.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

linuxcbon

#1022 Post by linuxcbon »

"Nouveau" just works with most of the cards but "nouveau" performance is bad.
Nvidia pets are about 50 Mb. So bionicpup can stay small with nvidia drivers.
Nvidia drivers support until GeForce 8 (goes back to 2006). And it's possible to select "nouveau" for older cards with xorgwizzard.

linuxcbon

#1023 Post by linuxcbon »

Bionicpup64 8.0 CE

Python2 is coming to end of life on January 1st 2020 and is replaced by python3.
What programs in bionicpup need python2 ? Can they be updated or replaced to use python3 instead ? Then it will be possible to remove python2 and use python3 instead.

Cheers

cattledog

#1024 Post by cattledog »

I'm running bionicpup64 on a frugal USB install. I didn't encrypt anything during the install. During boot, the only thing I am prompted for is my username and password. Is there a way to encrypt the OS or my current savefile with LUKS? If so, how? Thanks.

bigpup

#1025 Post by bigpup »

666philb,
This is something you may want to have for Bionicpup64 8.0
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 11#1042511
This person needed support for the RTL8188FTV USB wireless adapter.
ozsouth has made and posted the needed driver pet.
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#1026 Post by bigpup »

666phlib,

A driver pet for the realtek rtl8192eu wireless hardware.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 36#1042736
Use this driver, not the rtl8xxxu driver.
The rtl8xxxu driver has bugs and defects.
YaPI(any iso installer)

Grogg

#1027 Post by Grogg »

I just got my fresh install of Bionicpup64 going on my 64GB flashdrive. I was playin' hell trying to figure out why it wasn't seeing my pupsaves and got some help from the wrong forum <blush>, heh heh...I had to go into my BIOS and set the flashdrive to be the first drive to boot, *then* my sdd and then my hdd and it finally saw my save and I didn't have to go through (for the third time!) an hours worth of setting everything up the way I wanted it.

Now, my next problem...

How do I get Bionicpup64 installed on this 64GB flashdrive and get it to use *all* the drive and not just 6GB of it? I'd really prefer to be able to store the pupsave on the flashdrive itself (sdc) instead of sda (my hdd with Slackware 14.1 x32) or sdb (my sdd with Slackware 14.2 x64).

Does anyone have any clues for me? If this gets figured out, will I be able to simply reinstall the Bionic64 to the flashdrive (hoping it uses the whole drive!) and it will pick up my pupsave and I'll be able to carry on as if nothing happened, or will I have to start over with a new pupsave for the newly made flashdrive?

perdido

#1028 Post by perdido »

Grogg wrote:I just got my fresh install of Bionicpup64 going on my 64GB flashdrive. I was playin' hell trying to figure out why it wasn't seeing my pupsaves and got some help from the wrong forum <blush>, heh heh...I had to go into my BIOS and set the flashdrive to be the first drive to boot, *then* my sdd and then my hdd and it finally saw my save and I didn't have to go through (for the third time!) an hours worth of setting everything up the way I wanted it.

Now, my next problem...

How do I get Bionicpup64 installed on this 64GB flashdrive and get it to use *all* the drive and not just 6GB of it? I'd really prefer to be able to store the pupsave on the flashdrive itself (sdc) instead of sda (my hdd with Slackware 14.1 x32) or sdb (my sdd with Slackware 14.2 x64).

Does anyone have any clues for me? If this gets figured out, will I be able to simply reinstall the Bionic64 to the flashdrive (hoping it uses the whole drive!) and it will pick up my pupsave and I'll be able to carry on as if nothing happened, or will I have to start over with a new pupsave for the newly made flashdrive?
Use the install tools in puppy
Menu---->Setup---->Puppy Installer
Choose Install
Bootflash USB Installer

Then choose the flash drive to install to and either UEFI or grub4dos

UEFI is for a late model UEFI BIOS and grub4dos is for earlier with no UEFI BIOS

Make certain you know which drive is getting installed to because it will format that flash drive before installing.

bigpup

#1029 Post by bigpup »

Grogg,

If you can do the install to USB running a version of Puppy.
Puppy versions come with several programs that can do it.

If you are doing the install of Bionicpup64 to a USB flash drive, using some other operating system.

Try using a program for doing installs to USB.

UNetbootin to install to USB
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

If using Windows OS.
Rufus USB installer
https://rufus.akeo.ie/
YaPI(any iso installer)

Grogg

#1030 Post by Grogg »

Thanks you guys. I used the installer on my puppy and installed it to another flashdrive. With any luck it will pick up my pupsave and I'll be good to go.

Wish me luck!

Addendum: It didn't work, so I'll have to start all over getting everything setup the way I like it, but that's okay as now I have both flashdrive's setup to use the whole drive, so that's a Good Thing.

bigpup

#1031 Post by bigpup »

Did you copy the old save, to the new install, on the USB flashdrive?
YaPI(any iso installer)

rockedge

#1032 Post by rockedge »

I am running Bionic64-v8 CE with a fully preemptible real time kernel just compiled http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 81#1042981 and I am glad to report that this Bionic64 is running really well.

I am posting this from a freshly woof-CE'd Bionic64 running the 4.19.82-rt30 SMP PREEMPT RT kernel at this time. The OS is idling nicely.

Also tested the Bionic64-v8 CE with a freshly complied kernel 5.3.13_X86_64 and it is also performing well

Grogg

#1033 Post by Grogg »

bigpup wrote:Did you copy the old save, to the new install, on the USB flashdrive?
Yes, both times (once with each flashdrive). The 'copy' does every single file inside the pupsave' one at a time (at a speed you can't follow, of course). Unfortunately during that 'copy', there are some errors and I'm sure out of the 794MB size of my pupsave there were way too many lines to try to go through to find what those errors were.

The other flashdrive I tried to rename it and simply move it to the directory the regular pupsave of the new installation was in (it seems the 'install' done to a flashdrive inside a running Puppy does things quite a bit differently than a 'dd' to a flashdrive), yet that too for some reason had to do it one file at a time from the pupsave I wanted to use, to the new directory, and that one ended up with even more errors for some reason.

It's a shame that during a save, one can't choose from other pupsaves. Not being a programmer of any kind, I have no idea how difficult it would be to make that a choice in any way.

Mike Walsh

#1034 Post by Mike Walsh »

Revolverve wrote:Anybody know who create the google-chrome run-as-spot script ?

edit;bump...never mind

Bionicpup64 ,daily workhorse here.
Revolverve:-

Kinda depends on whose script you're referring to.

If it's the one in use in MY Google-Chrome packages, it's something of a joint effort. The wrapper script is partly Google, partly battleshooter, and the run-as-spot part toward the bottom was mostly belham2's 'modifications' to one from somewhere else. OscarTalks & peebee have also had a hand in the run-as-spot stuff over the last 2-3 years. Even ETP, Fredx181 and others have gotten involved.

Those of us who've built Chrome/Chromium packages have shared stuff around and sort of 'pooled resources', what with Google & Chromium having made so many darned changes and mods recently. I'm well aware that there are now a lot more run-as-spot scripts/variations thereof kicking around the Forum than there were a couple of years ago when I started building the Chrome packages, and most of these have been implemented by various individual Puppy builders so that they can supply a 'complete service' with their creations. All credit to them for that.

Bottom-line? Most of the current 'run-as-spot' stuff can doubtless trace its roots back to a common ancestry from a few years ago, improvements from individual authors notwithstanding......a time when we were all attempting to come to grips with the changes being forced upon us by 'Big Brother'. I guess most of us were 'borrowing' chunks & snippets of code from one another back then; a practice which is common-place in the Linux world.

So it's impossible to credit its creation to any one individual. After all, we all help each other out, don't we?

Mike. :wink:

bigpup

#1035 Post by bigpup »

Grogg wrote:
bigpup wrote:Did you copy the old save, to the new install, on the USB flashdrive?
Yes, both times (once with each flashdrive). The 'copy' does every single file inside the pupsave' one at a time (at a speed you can't follow, of course). Unfortunately during that 'copy', there are some errors and I'm sure out of the 794MB size of my pupsave there were way too many lines to try to go through to find what those errors were.

The other flashdrive I tried to rename it and simply move it to the directory the regular pupsave of the new installation was in (it seems the 'install' done to a flashdrive inside a running Puppy does things quite a bit differently than a 'dd' to a flashdrive), yet that too for some reason had to do it one file at a time from the pupsave I wanted to use, to the new directory, and that one ended up with even more errors for some reason.

It's a shame that during a save, one can't choose from other pupsaves. Not being a programmer of any kind, I have no idea how difficult it would be to make that a choice in any way.
Try using the program menu->Utility->Pupsave Backup.
Choose the new USB flash drive as the location to put the backup.
That is suppose to copy the save completely. It just adds BKP info to the beginning of the save file/folder name.
Remove the BKP info from the name of the backup save and it turns into the usable regular save.

I too have seen Rox file manager give errors, when trying to copy large files/folders.
I wonder if there is a bug in ROX copy :idea:
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(37.7 KiB) Downloaded 290 times
YaPI(any iso installer)

Grogg

#1036 Post by Grogg »

I gave up on trying to get my old settings back and just went ahead and formatted the 64GB flashdrive, used the 128GB flashdrive to boot into the puppy on it and did an 'install' to the 64GB drive.

Booted with the 64GB flashdrive and I'm slowly putting things back to the way I like it.

Running into a problem though...

At the first reboot, I chose the 4GB save as that was the largest it offered, and only a file, not a directory.

Now though, I just tried to use the utility to resize that pupsave file by making it another 32GB larger, rebooted, but it didn't seem to take.

I tried it a second time and it still shows that my pupsave file is only the original 4GB.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong or what I might can do to fix this?

LateAdopter

#1037 Post by LateAdopter »

Grogg wrote:At the first reboot, I chose the 4GB save as that was the largest it offered, and only a file, not a directory.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong or what I might can do to fix this?
I guess this would happen with a FAT32 partition. It has a 4GB maximum file size and does not support UNIX attributes.

mikeslr

#1038 Post by mikeslr »

LateAdopter is on point. The Universal Installer was developed a dozen of so years ago to make it easy for newbies. 4 Gbs were a good size USB-Key at that time and Fat32 formatting was almost just as good as LInux. Other applications you could run under Windows, like Linux LIve USB-Creator, would also only create a 4 Gb USB-Puppy on a Fat32 partition.

Best to start 'from scratch'. Boot into the Puppy on your 128 Flash Drive. Use it's gparted to resize your Fat32 partiton on the 64 Gb stick, or Format the Unallocated part, creating a 2nd LInux Ext partition which will use most of the USB-Key. I recommend Ext3; others may recommend Ext 4 or 2. Or entirely reformat the stick. If you need to boot from a UEFI computer, you'll need to have an initial Fat32 partition but 400 Mbs in size is more than sufficient. If you haven't formatted the entire stick, you can move your Puppy files from the first Fat32 partition to the 2nd Linux partition. Otherwise, just copy these files from either your 128 USB-Stick, or download a BionicPup64 ISO, left-click it to mount/open it, and copy the files from there: initrd.gz, vmlinuz, puppy_bionicpup64_xx.sfs and all other sfses. Recommend they be copied into a Uniquely named folder. About your current SaveFile, see below.

If you do NOT have a UEFI computer, while still running from your 128 USB-Stick, open Menu>setup>grub4dos, select the 64-bit stick as the location to install it, and check the "Search only within this device" button. Whether on a newly and entirely formatted stick or the 2nd partition of that stick, grub4dos will find it, create a booloader and a menu.lst enabling you to boot into it.

If you need to boot from a UEFI computer install FrugalPup/StickPup, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 85#1005485 into your 128 USB-Puppy and use it to install Bionicpup64 onto your 64-bit Stick.

About the current SaveFile on your 64-bit Stick: I recommend that you DO NOT transplant it. On first shutdown of your transplanted/re-created Bionicpup64 --which is now on a Linux partition-- you will have the option of creating a SaveFolder. SaveFolders can only be created on Linux partitions. They have no fixed size and will expand as and when you install things into it using the entire available space on its partition if necessary. LARGE SAVEFILES are not recommended.

I prefer SaveFiles to SaveFolders: they are easier to backup, transplant, and I consider them safer. I never need one greater than 2 Gbs and then only if I'm lazy. There are now available really great --fast and easy to use-- Remaster applications that combine your SaveFile with the original files of an ISO; and applications to convert a SaveFile into an adrv. Either way; a SaveFile can be kept just large enough to preserve applications settings and such new applications you install until the next time you remaster or convert a SaveFile into an adrv.

The way you keep a SaveFile small is (a) prefer External programs/portables to pet --the former are not installed; (b) use SFSes rather than pets; (c) Never store datafiles in 'Puppy Space'. Create folders on your Linux partition --or any drive or partition-- for storing datafiles; (d) don't let cache files from the web accumulate.

Grogg

#1039 Post by Grogg »

Drat...I'd forgot about the fat32 thing. Meh...windows <mutter> .

Okay, thanks guys, I appreciate the information and I'll see if I can hobble my way through the mess again.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving that celebrates it.

quenyan

Help: The brightness button doesn't work

#1040 Post by quenyan »

The brightness button for increasing or decreasing the brightness doesn't work.

as well as sound actually, but it can be solved by editing the hotkey in JWM Hotkey and assign it to F2AudioLower and F3AudioRise which are sound button.

Sadly, no brightness hotkey assigned in JWM, I don't know the code to activate it, but in some forum it is achievable using Terminal code, the echo thing...some thing like "echo /x11/xbacklight/intel 300" or something like that.

so, how it is done?