(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 23 Sep 2020, 11:06
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Right-click formatting tool for 32 bit Xenialpup? (solved)
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
memo

PostPosted: Wed 27 Nov 2019, 10:38    Post subject:  Right-click formatting tool for 32 bit Xenialpup? (solved)  

Hi all,

I there is any other formatting tool in xenialpup 32 bit that works with right click format style for the flash drivers and partitions ?

I am aware of Gparted and it works nicely but I wonder whether there is a tool that works in right click format fashion.

Beside that I wonder how to make a portable flash drive under puppylinux ( I have already searched you-tube but it-seems that most of them are using windows to do that). If there is an app for that would you kindly specify that?

I am also aware that I can copy the files from one flash driver to another then installing the grup file, but what is I want to try other distribution etc... that is why I need a dedicated tool.

Regards,

Last edited by memo on Wed 27 Nov 2019, 15:54; edited 2 times in total
mikeslr

PostPosted: Wed 27 Nov 2019, 12:33    Post subject:  

Adding gparted to Right-Click Menu:

1. Use Rox to open /usr/share/applications and scroll so that you can see gparted.desktop. Leave that window open.
2. Open a 2nd Rox window to /mnt. Right-click an already mounted partition. On bootup only /mnt/home is mounted. But you could have mounted other partitions.
3. From the popup menu select customize.
4. Drag the /usr/share/applications/gparted.desktop file into the window which opened and select Link(relative).
5. gparted will now be available from the right-click menu, but only when a partition can be selected in a rox-window; i.e. when you've file-browsed to /mnt.

Not very helpful, which is probably why it's not builtin. You're better of dragging the gparted.desktop file to the desktop; or creating a key-combination (e.g. CTL-ALt-G) to open gparted. But really, how often are you going to want to quickly open gparted? Right-Clicks work with file-types. That's really the purpose of the right-click menu: to open a selected file in a specific application without having to first open the application. For example, if you've used the Default Application Chooser to set LibreOffice Writer as your default Word Processor, you can customize your Right-Click Menu to offer to open RTF files (or others). Just Right-Click an RTF file, select Customize and follow the instructions.

Creating a USB-Key from Puppy:
Yapi, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=914260#914260 However, it does not work to create a USB-Stick which is boot-able from UEFI computers.
Frugal Puppy Installer, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1005485#1005485. Recently developed by gyro. Is fully functional. gyro, with the help, primarily, of bigpup is just working on the finishing touches (aesthetics).
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Wed 27 Nov 2019, 13:31    Post subject:  

Mike, I believe memo said he wants to try other distros..? I presume that by this, he means 'mainstream' distros like Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, CentOS, etc.....

(*shrug*)

@ memo:-

For what you want, you'd probably be best to use something like UNetbootin. It's cross-platform, is widely-used across the Linux spectrum, and is in fact the recommended tool from some of the most popular distros out there.

There is a Puppy package for it somewhere. Hang about; let me have a look...

Yep; take a look here:-

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=99826

Do take note of the need to install mtools - most of the Puppy repos have this in them - and also the bit about sometimes needing to 'force' the issue with UNetbootin, if it's not 'seeing' your USB drive....

Hope that helps. See about getting it installed & working first, then we can worry about adding it to your right-click Menu. One step at a time!

Mike. Wink

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Wed 27 Nov 2019, 20:30; edited 1 time in total
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Wed 27 Nov 2019, 14:03    Post subject:  

ISObooter.
belham2

PostPosted: Wed 27 Nov 2019, 14:45    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
ISObooter.

+1

I might be a little biased since I've been using it for several years now, but imho Rcrsn51 outdid himself on his ISObooter creation (well, to be fair, his Peasy creations are up there too Wink)

Using ISObooter, I've got like 40+ ISOs that I can boot at anytime I want, whether I'm feeling all nostalgic for an old pup and/or if I'm trying one of the latest myriad Linux distros released. ISObooter puts them all there at my fingertips and it has never failed to boot any ISO I throw at it.
memo

PostPosted: Wed 27 Nov 2019, 15:53    Post subject:  

@ Mike Walsh

thanks, I tried the Unenootin and it worked without seeing the flash drive, then I used the code that is provided in the link and it worked. However, I didn't understand the tweaking part and its usages. Thanks

@ belham2 & rcrsn51

the post was quite technical for me, still i am interested to learn this interesting app. If your time allow, would you kindly provide a tutorial with screenshots on how to use it.

@ mikeslr

Thanks for the detailed explanation! I can always use Gparted from the menu. I just thought that it would be nice to have something like windows fashion to format flash drivers ( I thought this may exist and I may not aware of it). Unebootin is indeed what I am looking for!
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Wed 27 Nov 2019, 20:40    Post subject:  

@ memo:-

Glad to hear UNetbootin is doing what you want.

@ belham2:-

I know I suggested UNetbootin to memo. However, I did try Bill's ISObooter in my early days with Puppy, and was very impressed by it. This was before Keisha & I re-flashed the big Compaq's BIOS from within Puppy to accommodate the CPU upgrade I undertook, going from a single-core Athlon64 to an X2 dual.

Unfortunately, ever since then, I've been unable to use ISObooter.....for the simple reason that the BIOS re-flash fundamentally 'changed' something - I still don't know what it was. Since that day, this old box point-blank refuses to boot from FAT32.....which is a requirement of the way Bill's written ISObooter to work. Sad

Sod's law, ain't it? Laughing Rolling Eyes

Mike. Wink

Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: