Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 15 Dec 2019, 19:49
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Wine portable in Xenial64: Frontier: First Encounter problem
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]  
swhnk-puppy

PostPosted: Mon 02 Dec 2019, 20:40    Post subject:  Wine portable in Xenial64: Frontier: First Encounter problem
Subject description: Failed Direct3DCreate9

Hi everyone, after a year I address you for a problem I have with the Wine-portable-3.3 program running on Linux Puppy Xenial (64 Bit).
Today I tried an old game that in the 90s worked under Dos and then was updated in Windows, I refer to "Frontier: First Encounter".
I installed on the old version an update that allows me to make the game work with Wine-Portable using the old graphic engine, even if the musics in midi files do not play while the sounds of the game are heard, but if I try to use the same game with the 3D graphic update the error "Failed Direct3DCreate9" comes out.
Point out that the game works perfectly with Windows 10 both with music and with 3D graphics after integrating the missing file d3dx9_43.dll (my PC is a Lenovo I3 of 2016).
I have tried from Wine Config to insert from the Library several d3dx9 files including also 43 but without success.
I executed the command "wine.sh winetricks d3dx9" from the terminal, redoing it also for d3dx10 and directx9 but without success, I always have the same error.
I would like to let my son know about this beautiful game with greatly improved graphics using Linux Puppy, it would be great.
Thanks for your attention.
mikeslr

PostPosted: Tue 03 Dec 2019, 11:21    Post subject:  

Hi swhnk-puppy,

As I try to make clear in the initial post of the Wine-portable thread, I only repackage the creations of others. I don't really have any knowledge of how the components function. Perhaps you might PM version2013, who publishes the Wine pets, calling his attention to your question.

That said, I'm not sure your wine.sh command is correct. WineHq didn't provide a report about "Frontier: First Encounter". But did have one regarding "X: Beyond the Frontier". The HowTo Section of that post, https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=34278 gave this recipe for installing dlls:

"You will need two native components:

amstream.dll
quartz.dll

Easy way with winetricks:

Install winetricks using your distro's package manager.

In terminal, run:

$ winetricks amstream quartz
$ wine regsvr32 "c:\windows\system32\amstream.dll"
$ wine regsvr32 "c:\windows\system32\quartz.dll"

Hard way without winetricks:

Find amstream.dll and quartz.dll in preferred search engine.

Place them in $WINEPREFIX/drive_c/windows/system32/

In terminal, run:

$ wine regsvr32 "c:\windows\system32\amstream.dll"
$ wine regsvr32 "c:\windows\system32\quartz.dll" "

As you know, using portable wine you have to subsitute "wine.sh" for "wine".

Also note that in the above example Wine version 4.4 was used. If you need to upgrade from version 3.3, you can either use a newer wine build directly as version2013 created it, or partially externalize it using the technique described here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1027791#1027791
swhnk-puppy

PostPosted: Tue 03 Dec 2019, 17:59    Post subject:  

Hi mikeslr, I tried both solutions but unfortunately I always have the same error.
I installed Winetricks and it is present under the Desktop section but clicking on it nothing happens.
I ran the "$ winetricks amstream quartz" command with $ and without $ from the terminal and the message "command not found" or "wineserver not found!" Appears.
The commands wine.sh regsvr32 "c: windows system32 stream.dll" and wine.sh regsvr32 "c: windows system32 quartz.dll" work, something is loaded from the terminal.
I also tried the hardest solution by downloading the 2 dll files from Google and inserting them in the "/wine-portable-3.3_v.2.1/wine-data/drive_c/windows/system32" directory of the USB key because I don't have, or I can't find anyway , the path to "WINEPREFIX" and rewriting from the terminal the 2 wine.sh regsvr32 commands for both dll files.
I also tried the terminal command "wine.sh winetricks quartz" and "wine.sh winetricks amstream", several hundred megabits have been downloaded but nothing has changed.
The latest version of wine-portable is the one loaded on my USB key and the 4.4 version is not portable and I know that the fixed wine versions do not work for me.
Can I ask you the courtesy to download the 90Mb file of the game taken from the site "http://www.ffeartpage.com/ffed3d.htm"?
I hope you can solve the problem.
mikeslr

PostPosted: Tue 03 Dec 2019, 18:52    Post subject:  

Hi swhnk-puppy,

Well, I'm download the file and see what I can discover.

While I'm exploring that, there's a couple of things you might try. First, you shouldn't have had to install winetricks. It was builtin. Installing it may have overwritten the included version. What wasn't included was a GUI. You initiate the builtin version by opening a terminal and typing, without the quotes "wine.sh winetricks". Not sure what installing another version did; or whether uninstalling it will return the setup to its prior condition.

Wine config is on the Utility Submenu. It can also be started via a terminal with "wine.sh winecfg" --without the quotes. Having installed the dlls, maybe it's necessary to re-configure your system. Try opening it via a terminal, change the config to vista, then change it back to xp: via the terminal so that it output will show you that something is happening.
mikeslr

PostPosted: Tue 03 Dec 2019, 20:40    Post subject: Success Maybe  

Here's what I discovered, mostly by just clicking exes Rolling Eyes and eating dinner. Laughing

Downloaded the "Frontier. First Encounter" zip file and unzipped it. Downloaded the d3dx9_43.dll from here, https://www.dll-files.com/d3dx9_43.dll.html. Browsed into the FFE folder. Clicking either the setup and install exes did nothing. Read the "README.1st" and clicked the LOADPATS exe, which also did nothing.

Clicking either the ffewin28a7.exe or the ffewin28a7mod.exe displayed what appeared to be credits playing forever. Not knowing where to install the dll, I copied it to both wine-portable's wine-data/drive_c/windows/system & system32 folders. Neither that alone, nor calling winecfg via terminal and changing from XP to vista and back again got me beyond the scrolling credits.

Over dinner it occurred to me that since the "credits scrolled" --albeit in silence-- maybe Frontier was a "self-contained", i.e. "portable" application. [As neither install or setup did anything, the FFE folder never got beyond /mnt/my-stuff/downloads/ffe106...extracted/ffe106]. So I dropped another copy of the dll in the FFE folder. While the credits were scrolling it occurred to me, "maybe I should try clicking". Well, there you are: some kind of game. Shocked Clicking some things brought about some changes. And there were "dinging" sounds when the click did something "right" or maybe "wrong" Confused .

Tried placing the dll in the FFED3D folder and clicking FIRSTINSTANCE.EXE. Crashed the program and hung the computer. Had to CtL-Alt-Backspace, then enter start-x. Evil or Very Mad

I wonder what would have happened if I had just clicked on the "Credits" at some stage of the exploration before dropping the dll into the FFE folder?

Without knowing how the game is supposed to function --Is it usually played with a joy-stick?-- I'm not sure what else I could uncover. If it is "self-contained" than you also should be able to run it under "regular" wine: That is, just move its folder anywhere and (a) Easy -- drag the ffewin28a7mod.exe to the desktop; optional Right-Click and shorten its name; perhaps give it a nice Icon; or (b) create a menu entry, see http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=962076#962076. There's an icon in the FFE/ICONS folder you can open in gimp and convert to a png.

p.s. Clicking the buffet.exe also opens a GUI expecting the choice of some file. Clicking the exes which originally did nothing, still does nothing. At no time did music play.
swhnk-puppy

PostPosted: Tue 03 Dec 2019, 22:45    Post subject:  

hello, you tried the game with the old graphic engine in the FFE folder that works for me, instead the 3D graphics game where the error appears is in the FFED3D folder with the executable file ffed3d.exe.
As soon as said file appears, the message "Failed Direct3DCreate9" appears.
Please try again.
mikeslr

PostPosted: Wed 04 Dec 2019, 02:31    Post subject:  

Found the following post, https://askubuntu.com/questions/545971/how-to-install-d3dx9-43, which translated into a terminal command under wine-portable is open a terminal and type:

wine.sh winetricks d3dx9_43

BUT BEFORE DOING THAT
-- as it will generate a cabextract not found error-- open Puppy Package manager and type cabextract. Edit see below about using the 32-bit debs.

Then install the two debs which will download. [I chose 'Download all (package and dependencies) as (a) I want to know what's being installed and (b) I have the debs if have to start again. Which is how I know there were only two debs: cabextract_1.6-1_amd64.deb and llbmspack0_0.5-1ubuntu0.16.0.4.4_amd64.deb

Left-clicking those installed them. However,

(a) I don't know how to use cabextract "after" the fact. So I'll have to download d3dx9_43 again;
(b) Its late, so that will have to be sometime tomorrow -- and I have couple things I've got to do first;
(c) Note the two files are 64-bit while Wine-portable is 32-bit. To run Wine-portable the 32-bit compatibility library/sfs has to be loaded. It may be necessary to uninstall the 64-bit versions and hunt for the 32-bit versions.

As it stands, I'm going to shut-down without Saving. Cabextract and its dependency are only installed to RAM which will be cleared. See above about downloading rather than installing debs.

Well, found the cabextract deb here, https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/cabextract with a link to the llbmspack0 deb. My "instinct" tells me that the 32-bit versions should be used.

If before I get to it, don't hesitate to try based on the above and advise what you discover.
swhnk-puppy

PostPosted: Wed 04 Dec 2019, 14:56    Post subject:  

Hi, thank you very much for the time you are dedicating to me considering also the banality of the application even if for me it is very important, if I wanted I could use it fully in Windows 10 but I would like even more to make it work in this extraordinary operating system.
Your last post was very technical and I had to reread it many times given my mediocre computer and language knowledge of Puppy.
First of all I decided to start from scratch by reformatting the USB key to avoid conflicts with the operations performed before I turned to the forum.
I have reviewed the 2 commands (wine.sh regsvr32 "c:\windows\system32\amstream.dll" and wine.sh regsvr32 "c:\windows\system32\quartz.dll") and then, given the usual error, I executed your new instructions by downloading from PPM the cabextract containing the two packages, restarting the PC and typing the command "wine.sh winetricks d3dx9_43" from the terminal. gave 2 "0026: err: module" and "0026: err: winedevice.
After rebooting I checked in the stick if the "32bit_compatibility_libs_xenial64.sfs" file was on "load" and I started the game finding the usual "Failed Direct3DCreate9".
I visited the site "https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/cabextract" finding, if I'm not mistaken, that the files to download are 64bit and seeing in other sites I didn't find them at 32bit; I imagine however that from PPM he has downloaded the complete 32bit package, I hope.
I hope you still want to assist me in this adventure. Thanks.
screenshot002.png
Description  terminal screen after the "wine.sh winetricks d3dx9_43" command
png

Download 
Filename  screenshot002.png 
Filesize  207.54 KB 
Downloaded  12 Time(s) 
mikeslr

PostPosted: Wed 04 Dec 2019, 20:21    Post subject:  

Hi swhnk-puppy,

It did work for me either. I have one more idea. I'll let you know tomorrow with detailed recipe, or post a "Dear swhnk-puppy" letter. Smile
mikeslr

PostPosted: Wed 04 Dec 2019, 21:17    Post subject:  

Sorry, swhnk-puppy. This is a "Dear swhnk-puppy" letter. Crying or Very sad

The idea I had was that applications, such as cabextract, were being installed to the main system while wine-portable runs from an SFS. Maybe they weren't speaking to each other properly. That, and the report of success regarding the other Frontier game was under Wine 4 something.

So I removed my SaveFile and started from scratch, creating a SaveFolder. That way I could use the 'regular' wine and not worry about size: SaveFolders expand as needed. Loaded the 32-bit compatibility SFS and installed the wine 4.6 pet: configuring both --ldconfig and wine winecfg. Had to hunt up the 32-bit cabextract as PPM would install the 64-bit which doesn't work with 32-bit Wine. Wine 4.6 didn't have winetricks builtin. Had to install that and several dependencies for it or cabextract. Finally could run the

winetricks d3dx9_43

command in the terminal [that's the revised code when not using Wine-portable] which successfully installed.

However, ffed3 "encountered a serious problem and had to close", and both the 2D versions reported they were not properly installed and didn't run.

So, I'm out of ideas.
swhnk-puppy

PostPosted: Thu 05 Dec 2019, 04:31    Post subject:  

Hi, I hope we can find a solution with Wine ... but if I tried to make it work in a Virtual Machine by putting Windows XP? I have never tried a VM in any operating system. Would you help me insert the Linux Puppy Virtual Machine and then load Windows XP? I also ask you from which site I could easily download a copy of Windows XP, or recommend another version of Windows. Do you think it could work or is it time lost? I also wonder how a VM would work since I don't know anything ... Thanks anyway
mikeslr

PostPosted: Thu 05 Dec 2019, 09:35    Post subject:  

Other than knowing that Virtual Machines are discussed on this thread, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=61 I know nothing about them. If you go that route, it's probably best to open another thread: the title of the current thread being about Wine portable.

But before doing that, maybe try either 32-bit Xenialpup or even Bionicpup. The game, itself, was built for a 32-bit system. Wine/Wine-portable are 32-bit applications. But when your operating system is 64-bit, you add another level of complexity: the 32-bit compatibility layer which doesn't exactly correspond to 'Ubuntus' method of multi-architecture. And with a 64-bit OS, Puppy package manager points to the 'wrong' repositories: you have to use web-browsers to search for necessary packages possibly generating human errors in the mix.

One other thing. If you are using a SaveFile --rather than a SaveFolder-- make sure that it's large enough. Even though Frontier is portable, all the dependencies you'll have to install added up to about 500 Mbs. When free space in a SaveFile drops close to 100 Mbs you can't count on the Save mechanism functioning properly. I broke one SaveFile while exploring this. [Fortunately, I had a backup]. Which is why on my last try I used a SaveFolder.
swhnk-puppy

PostPosted: Sat 07 Dec 2019, 11:12    Post subject:  

I have seen that on the Wine site there is the latest version (4.21) that probably solves the bugs D3DX9.
If I download Wine4.21 do it integrate Wine-portable? Do they work separately? Or should I disable (not delete, I would lose it) Wine-portable and how to do this?
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: