Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 15 Dec 2019, 20:33
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Unable to register
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 3 of 4 [50 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Tue 03 Dec 2019, 09:32    Post subject:  

Hm.

Doesn't recognise my username or password. Obviously it wants a new account.

Trying to use my existing username (Mike Walsh) gives 'Username contains forbidden characters'. Okay, I'm thinking; perhaps it won't allow spaces. Many won't.

So I tried 'Mike_Walsh'. Guess what? Yep; 'Username contains forbidden characters'. Now what the hell is wrong with that?? Shocked

So I've tried lots of different names/combinations of letters & stuff. Surprise, surprise. It doesn't seem to like ANYTHING.... 'Username contains forbidden characters'.

Most odd.

Mike. Wink

fredx181

PostPosted: Tue 03 Dec 2019, 10:01    Post subject:  

For me it worked all smoothly with same username fredx181, I'm in !

Fred

rockedge

PostPosted: Tue 03 Dec 2019, 10:17    Post subject:  

Hello Mike, Not odd...yet! I have selected mostly default and careful settings...we can of course change that parameter to allow Spaces in the user name. I will change that for you now.

Of course some of you may want some admin privileges and I was going to assign moderators, which I can do once some of you are registered.

The question is now how far should we go before attempting the test forum assimilation of the murga forum? Before we go deep into configuration of this one if some one can organize a SQL dump of the original database I will inquire further on the steps for migration we will be taking.

I see some successful registrations have occurred...the test of the email functions and registration process are at the moment important....so far so good it seems
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Tue 03 Dec 2019, 10:58    Post subject:  

@ rockedge:-

I've registered on the new one, using mikewalsh - no spaces, or capitals. That's on a GMail a/c, where the confirmation arrived promptly in my 'Spam' folder.

I've tried a variation with my GMX a/c. MiqWalsh has also been successful.....but, as yet, NO confirmation e-mail? (If this one never sorts itself out, you'll just have to delete it, I guess.)

Nice one with the HTTPS, by the way. Thanks. (And it's good that much of the BBcode is the same, 'cos I tend to put all mine in manually, as I type. For me, I've got so used to doing so, it's just 'quicker'.)

Question; If the 'import' from Murga should prove to be successful, will it include existing usernames, passwords, personal details, etc., etc? Or will all that need to start again from scratch, too? I'm a bit of a 'newb' where all this kinda thing is concerned..... Laughing

(I know what you're proposing can be done, 'cos the XP Forums, where I'm a member, did exactly this a while back, a year or so after I joined.....and the transition was utterly seamless. Everything remained as before.....the only change was a new 'look'.)

Mike. Wink

rockedge

PostPosted: Tue 03 Dec 2019, 11:28    Post subject:  

Hi Mike,

Quote:
Everything remained as before.....the only change was a new 'look'.

That is exactly what we are aiming for! That is why we don't need to go so crazy until after the database import/conversion is completed....it will be the murga forum as it is now but with brand new phpBB software. Same users and all the goodies!
rockedge

PostPosted: Tue 03 Dec 2019, 11:30    Post subject:  

Plus now a new header and design can be chosen. there are themes that can be installed or we can stay basic and just insert a cool header.

Mike could you test out using spaces in the user name please?

Last edited by rockedge on Tue 03 Dec 2019, 11:35; edited 1 time in total
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Tue 03 Dec 2019, 11:34    Post subject:  

Editing a post just now, upon clicking 'Submit', I got a

Code:
502.....Bad Gateway (nginx)

I've seen this "Bad Gateway" before, on many sites.....but what does that 'nginx' represent? (Just out of curiosity, like....)

I'm assuming it's nothing to do with the software; I guess this is something to do with temporary 'collisions' in DNS resolution, or summat like that?

(You can tell I haven't got a clue as to what I'm wittering on about, can't you? Laughing )

Mike. Confused

rockedge

PostPosted: Tue 03 Dec 2019, 12:26    Post subject:  

nginx (pronounced "engine X") is a web server software. Puppy Linux has a web server on board to run the PERL Blog. Puppy Linux uses Hiawatha web server software (my personal favorite).
Most of the Internet runs on Apache, in embeded devices like the GoPro cameras often use Cherokee.

It is a DNS server using NGINX web server that is having some problem. Clear your browser cache and try again....I just had the same message earlier today
rockedge

PostPosted: Tue 03 Dec 2019, 12:31    Post subject:  

Quote:
(You can tell I haven't got a clue as to what I'm wittering on about, can't you? Laughing )

Mike we all start at the beginning and with a little explanation and experimentation I am 100% confident you'll pick all this up as we go.

That's our strength...collaboration
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Tue 03 Dec 2019, 12:41    Post subject:  

rockedge wrote:
Quote:

Mike we all start at the beginning and with a little explanation and experimentation I am 100% confident you'll pick all this up as we go.

No, doubt, mi amigo..! Very Happy

BTW; the MiqWalsh a/c has also now received its confirmation e-mail. Strangely, it went through over two hours ago, but GMX has only just now notified me... (??!?)

Heigh-ho. At least it did go through (albeit with a delay); that's the important part for 'test' purposes, yes? The delay here is apparently at GMX's end, which is curious.....they're usually pretty prompt about getting stuff out to you.

Must be 'one of those days', I guess.....

Mike. Wink

rockedge

PostPosted: Tue 03 Dec 2019, 13:06    Post subject:  

here is some docs to scan:

https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3.2/ug/upgradeguide/upgrade2/

https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3.2/ug/upgradeguide/general_conversion/
rockedge

PostPosted: Tue 03 Dec 2019, 13:14    Post subject:  

Our main problem is that we are attempting this on two completely separate host servers

Here is the thread I started -> https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=556&t=2530986
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Tue 03 Dec 2019, 14:38    Post subject:  

rockedge wrote:
Our main problem is that we are attempting this on two completely separate host servers

Here is the thread I started -> https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=556&t=2530986

Yeah. Quite.

Now; how you're going to move a database that large from Australia to where you are, I wouldn't even like to hazard a guess. I guess Flash will have to try and get hold of John Murga, explain what we're trying out, and confer with him as to what he wants to do.....

'Cos that's the only way we're going to get a 'Yes' or a 'No' on this.....and I don't see we can go any further until we do, really. Server location, domains, certificates, etc., etc.....until we know what's going to happen, it's all very much 'in limbo', isn't it?

Mike. Wink

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Tue 03 Dec 2019, 14:47    Post subject:  

rockedge wrote:
Mike could you test out using spaces in the user name please?

Let me get the evening meal out of the way, then I'll sort out a disposable email addy and try that out for you. Bear with me for a bit.

Mike. Wink

rockedge

PostPosted: Tue 03 Dec 2019, 16:36    Post subject:  

this host server is in the UK, and I'm in the USA....I've used this host server for 10 years now. We will need to talk with John Murga as to what is possible....the easiest would be to install this version 3.2 next to the original forum on the same server and let the conversion tools do their thing. That is what is recommended...
Page 3 of 4 [50 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Jump to: