Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 24 Jan 2020, 08:16
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Puppy Power
New Wary/Racy website
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 5 of 5 [72 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Thu 05 Dec 2019, 10:54    Post subject:  

@ Ken:-

Might be just as simple to use the 'portable' package I assembled for PM_sse 27.9.4:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1022606#1022606

True, it has its own glibc 'tweak' built-in. You can leave the one you've installed where it is, however; it won't interfere with the operation of the portable.

D/load it; unzip it; put the 'palemoon32' directory anywhere you want, though preferably outside of 'Puppy-space'. Fire it up from the 'plmn' script (you can drag this to the desktop as a launcher)

Instructions are included for transferring an existing profile to the 'portable', so you can keep all your bookmarks, etc. Let us know how you get on with it, please.

Mike. Wink.

ally

PostPosted: Thu 05 Dec 2019, 12:16    Post subject:  

I've mirrored Racy Pup to http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_RacyPup_Repo

Smile
keniv

PostPosted: Thu 05 Dec 2019, 13:08    Post subject:  

@Mike
Quote:
Might be just as simple to use the 'portable' package I assembled for PM_sse 27.9.4:-

Thanks for this Mike. Have just installed your package to sda1. I decided just to make a new profile which did not take long. Made a desktop start button. Even used the icon in your package. Also installed ublock legacy. All seems to be working well and I'm posting from it now. Running it on an old Toshiba laptop (800MHz and 320MB) and PM 27.9.4 runs quite fast and is very usable.

Thanks again,

Ken.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Thu 05 Dec 2019, 21:12    Post subject:  

keniv wrote:
@Mike
Quote:

Thanks for this Mike. Have just installed your package to sda1. I decided just to make a new profile which did not take long. Made a desktop start button. Even used the icon in your package. Also installed ublock legacy. All seems to be working well and I'm posting from it now. Running it on an old Toshiba laptop (800MHz and 320MB) and PM 27.9.4 runs quite fast and is very usable.

Thanks again,

Ken.

No problemo, Ken. Glad I could help. It's based around the .pet watchdog put together; credit must, of course, go to Fredx181 for the method used. It just works very well for all the Mozilla-based browsers; Firefox, Palemoon, and SeaMonkey all respond equally favourably.

Enjoy.

Mike. Wink

tuxtoo

PostPosted: Tue 10 Dec 2019, 05:17    Post subject:  

nic007 wrote:
Hi, tuxtoo - Use this download link for the Opera Mini sfs on your Racy website: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zrDXyfepDM8GDGMA30_HXNDhUi3sphfl
This is a newly created sfs with Opera Mini already setup and probably also has a newer version of Opera Mini. The old thread on the forum is outdated, gives setup instructions and could confuse people.

Hi Nic, Apologies for the delay in replying. For what ever reason I am not getting notified of replies to this thread despite being subscribed to it.

I have copied OperaMini.sfs from your Google Drive and added it to my Dropbox Account and updated the website

Thanks.

http://wellminded.net63.net/ Suitable for older browsers.

Mirror https://puppysearch.neocities.org
tuxtoo

PostPosted: Tue 10 Dec 2019, 05:33    Post subject:  

ally wrote:
I've mirrored Racy Pup to http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_RacyPup_Repo

Smile

Thanks ally, nice job. Very Happy

keniv

PostPosted: Tue 10 Dec 2019, 11:57    Post subject:  

@tuxtoo,

Mike Walsh wrote:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1022606#1022606

True, it has its own glibc 'tweak' built-in. You can leave the one you've installed where it is, however; it won't interfere with the operation of the portable.

D/load it; unzip it; put the 'palemoon32' directory anywhere you want, though preferably outside of 'Puppy-space'. Fire it up from the 'plmn' script (you can drag this to the desktop as a launcher)

Instructions are included for transferring an existing profile to the 'portable', so you can keep all your bookmarks, etc.

Mike. Wink.

Could I suggest you add the above version of PM to the website under 'Internet'. I gives those trying to run Racy on less well speced machines the chance to run a reasonably up to date and easy to use browser. Can I also suggest that changing the homepage to duckduck go lite or startpage lets PM start more quickly on these old machines.

Regards,

Ken.
tuxtoo

PostPosted: Tue 10 Dec 2019, 14:50    Post subject:  

keniv wrote:
Could I suggest you add the above version of PM to the website under 'Internet'. I gives those trying to run Racy on less well speced machines the chance to run a reasonably up to date and easy to use browser. Can I also suggest that changing the homepage to duckduck go lite or startpage lets PM start more quickly on these old machines.

Hi Ken, No problem adding PM Portable to the website. As far as I am aware the homepage is set when PM is compiled and not something I would be able to do. Although I would be happyto be proved wrong on this. However. setting the homepage to DuckDuckGo or Startpage is something that the user is expected to do when initially setting up the browser to their own liking.

tuxtoo

EDIT: Oops, I downloaded PM Portable and the and the search engines for the search box can be edited, but from what I can see after a quick look there is no way to change the homepage.

PM Portable added to the website.

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Tue 10 Dec 2019, 16:00    Post subject:  

@ Stu/Ken:-

Nah. You can set any browser to open on any web-page you choose, here in Puppy.

Palemoon 27.9.4_SSE has two ways you can do this.

1) Menu->Tools->Preferences. Hit the 'General' tab. Where it says 'Home page', just make sure the URL of the web-page you want for a home page is showing. You can delete the Palemoon one; it's not compulsory to keep it, y'know!

In all the Mozilla-based browsers (Firefox, Palemoon, Seamonkey, etc), if you want to fire the browser up with more than one page showing, just carry on adding URLs.....but you separate 'em with the 'pipe' symbol ('|'). Like so:-

.....and so on.

------------------------------

The Chromium-based browsers have a variation on this, but allow you to specify each extra, additional web-page separately. However, the easiest way to get round this, which definitely works in JWM - MochiMoppel showed the way with this one a while ago - involves your desktop 'launcher'...........whether an actual .desktop entry, or even just an executable script.

In the case of the SSE-only PM_portable, drag the 'plmn' script onto the desktop, OK? Right-click->Edit item. Brings this up:-

In the second box down - 'Arguments to pass (for executables)', simply enter the URL you want. That's your 'argument'..! Like so:-

Easy-peasy. But everything is, when you know how......

Mike. Wink

keniv

PostPosted: Tue 10 Dec 2019, 16:03    Post subject:  

tuxtoo wrote:
keniv wrote:

However. setting the homepage to DuckDuckGo or Startpage is something that the user is expected to do when initially setting up the browser to their own liking.

tuxtoo

Yes I expect the user to do this. I only suggested it because I think somebody using PM, on an old machine, for the first time might be disappointed with the speed at which it starts up. It's quite easy to change the home page. First search for duckduckgo lite then go to site. Then Tools>Preferences>General>Startup and select 'show my home page'. Then press 'use current page' button and then click 'close'. Doing this makes with either duckduckgo or startpage makes startup much faster on old machines.Thanks for adding this version of PM to the website.

Regards,

Ken.

Edit. I see I have just crossed my post with Mikes. He has given a much more detailed explanation of what to do.
tuxtoo

PostPosted: Tue 10 Dec 2019, 16:15    Post subject:  

@Mike

Your first two images was what I meant by:- setting the homepage to DuckDuckGo or Startpage is something that the user is expected to do when initially setting up the browser to their own liking. Sorry, I should have explained that like you have. Cheers for pointing out about making assumptions about a users knowledge. Something I am guilty of. Wink

EDIT: Clarity all round thanks to Mike and Ken.

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Tue 10 Dec 2019, 16:54    Post subject:  

keniv wrote:
Edit. I see I have just crossed my post with Mikes. He has given a much more detailed explanation of what to do.

As the old saw has it, Ken, 'A picture is worth a thousand words'. That is the reason I use 'em so much.....for added clarity.

I learnt a long time ago that the majority of individuals I've encountered over the years respond far more favourably to an image of something that they do to a long, verbose, 'flowery' description of something. I certainly do. I'm also more receptive to taking in, and learning new stuff, in the afternoons, rather than the mornings; I guess it's just the way my 'body-clock' is set! Plus, it's far simpler to make a particular point about something with an image.....

Homo sapiens evolved to be very much 'sight-centric' in his interactions with the world around him. Images, pictures, diagrams, videos, TV programs, computers. cellphones - these all assume the posession of good vision. Without sight, most of these lose much of their usefullness.

Old Charlie Darwin wasn't that far out with his famous 'theory'.....

Mike. :wink;

Page 5 of 5 [72 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Puppy Power
Jump to: