Running Windows XP in 64-bit Puppy Xenial by VirtualBox

Using applications, configuring, problems
swhnk-puppy

Running Windows XP in 64-bit Puppy Xenial by VirtualBox

#1 Post by swhnk-puppy »

Hi everyone, I ask for help installing Windows XP on Linux Puppy Xenial (64bit) via VirtualBox.
I downloaded from the website the file "virtualbox-6.0_6.0.14-133895 ~ Ubuntu ~ xenial_amd64.deb", I installed it without problems and under the utility section I launched the "Oracle VM VirtualBox" application and I followed all the steps to create Windows XP on VirtualBox and up to this point no problem.
When I enter VirtualBox and launch Windows XP, the message "No log file found. Press the Update button to analyze the log / root / VirtualBox VMs / Windows XP / Logs folder again." and nothing goes, the program suggests the command "'/ sbin / vboxconfig" and this doesn't work either.
I tried to consult various websites on Google but they only deal with the installation of Linux Puppy in a Windows environment with VirtualBox and not the contrary, that is mine.
I have read about installing Windows on Linux Ubuntu with VirtualBox and following the same procedure only that, once I have made all the same steps and created the Windows icon in VirtualBox, clicking on it asks you where to read the ISO Windows and continue with the installation of the operating system in a virtual environment, since I do not come up with the error.
Attachments
screenshot-a.jpg
VirtualBox errors
(62.69 KiB) Downloaded 140 times

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

Try following what was done here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114256
This is for Tahrpup64 6.0.5 but the steps should be the same.
Just do not get anything from the Tahrpup links.
Anyplace it says get this from the Tahrpup repository.
Get the same stuff from this Xenialpup64 7.5 repository:
ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dist ... -xenial64/

For this step.
3. Download suitable kernel headers SFS
What you want is the correct kernel sources sfs for the kernel being used.
Select the right kernel sources sfs file for your kernel - uname -a in a console will tell you the kernel you're running.
There are three possible kernel sources sfs.
Make sure to get the correct one for kernel that is being used in your Xenialpup64 7.5

Do you know how to use a sfs package? How to load it?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

Xenialpup64 7.5 has Quickpet on the desktop.
Run Quickpet->Info->Xenialpup updates, to make sure Xenialpup is updated, with latest tweaks and bug fixes.

Why do you want to run Windows XP in VirtualBox?

Is there some specific Windows program you want to run?

Wine can run Windows programs.

I would think that Wine running in Puppy would use much less resources than VirtualBox running a complete Windows XP on top of Linux.

If you want to try Wine.
For Wine.

Make sure you have the latest version of Wine.
Good place to get Wine for Puppy.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=88711

Also, look on the first post of the Wine topic for a added 'wine_extras-v2.1.pet' that puts Wine entries in the menu.

When you get Wine installed and the Wine menu entries.
Run Wine config to setup Wine.
It will probably offer you a few more programs needed for Wine to run properly.
Should download and install them as part of the initial config.

Also, in Wine config->Drivers Select autodetect to get all the driver locations loaded in Wine.

A lot of settup options in Wine config, so check them all.

What version of Windows you want Wine to mimic can affect how a program runs. Wine Config->Applications.

About specific programs running in Wine.
Go to the Wine web site and see what it says about a specific program and issues.
http://www.winehq.org

Using Wine is almost like learning a new operating system.
Takes a while to learn how to use Wine and to get things working properly.
YaPI(any iso installer)

swhnk-puppy

#4 Post by swhnk-puppy »

Hi, I need Windows XP to run a 3D graphics game that doesn't work in Wine-portable Ver.3 and I've already covered the topic in the previous post "Problems with Frontier: First Encounter" where this old game only works with the old graphics engine of 1995 and not with the beautiful post 2000 updates; I tried many solutions with mikeslr, but I always had the same error when launching the game "Failed Direct3DCreate9" and since I don't want to give up the game nor to Linux Puppy Xenial (64bit) I play the last cards represented by VirtualBox and in case VirtualMachine.
Well, when I installed Linux Puppy a year ago I immediately downloaded everything from the "distro.ibiblio ...." library including 3 kernels and more and all SFS packages are on the USB stick in the "load" status.
I don't know how to go on and I ask you to explain to me with great patience, given my mediocre knowledge of Puppy, how to be able to install Windows Xp in the VirtualBox. Thanks.

p310don

#5 Post by p310don »

Download and install devx and kernel headers for your Puppy. Usually in quickpet sfs or sfsget.

Then go to virtualbox website and download the universal installer, it is a .run file. Open a terminal, run the run file.

https://download.virtualbox.org/virtual ... _amd64.run

note - make sure right click and save as on the link, otherwise it opens a massive text file.

Burn_IT

#6 Post by Burn_IT »

I used to run XP via VBox from a Puppy USB stick so that I could use some of the XP built in repair tools that were not available under Wine.
It worked well for me.
Often at customer sites you aren't allowed to install software for diagnosis purposes and doing it this way was the only way to help them.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

swhnk-puppy

#7 Post by swhnk-puppy »

Hi p310don, I will download after the file you indicated to me, the devx package and 3 kernels are present in the usb key with the "load" status, is this correct or am I missing something? I would not like to understand how things are done that are actually pending.
Also how do I delete the already installed VirtualBox under utility?
I wouldn't want to start from scratch another time ... I'd spare myself the umpteenth formatting of the stick. Thanks.

swhnk-puppy

#8 Post by swhnk-puppy »

Still for p310don, what is the terminal command I should type to run the .run file? Would you write me the precise command? I'm not good with Puppy formulas, I only remember those of the Dos 6.22 I used almost 30 years ago ...

rockedge

#9 Post by rockedge »

you must download the kernel source SFS file that matches the kernel

you must load the devx sfs for your operating system and load it

Load the kernel source SFS file with SFS-Load-on-the-fly as well

open a terminal and run /sbin/vboxconfig

the trick here is you are trying to build the kernel module vboxdrv that allows virtualbox to create and access virtual hard drives

bigpup

#10 Post by bigpup »

you must download the kernel source SFS file that matches the kernel
That one and only that one is the only one that is loaded.
No other kernel sources sfs is to be loaded.
Only the correct one!!
YaPI(any iso installer)

enrique

#11 Post by enrique »

I see you big interest in this game. Do you know of a link to it in the web?

swhnk-puppy

#12 Post by swhnk-puppy »

Hello everyone and thanks for having responded, the link from which to download the game is "http://www.ffeartpage.com/ffed3d.htm", a 90Mb file that contains mainly 2 FFE and FFEd3d folders, the first works with the old graphics engine of 1995 and works with WINE, the second has graphical updates that make it beautiful and that doesn't work due to the aforementioned error.
The instructions given to me have been useful but before these, reading on the web, I had to insert from the terminal also the command "adduser vboxusers" changing the password and reconfirming it (boh ?? why ??).
Now I have Windows XP on Linux Puppy (finally !!), I still have to study it ... because I don't have the sounds and I don't know what to load, I wonder if I also have to install the ServicePack3, graphically if I try to widen the window the graphics crumble and I can hardly make him read the usb stick to load the programs since I can't get the folder sharing option to work.
Could you give me suggestions about it? I ask you for advice on how to make XP usable in VirtualBox. Thanks.

enrique

#13 Post by enrique »

THANKS for the link. So this seems a vintage game from Comodore 64 that was exported to run on XP. Is that tright.? I guess you used to play it when you where younger. I am currently busy but as soon as I have little time I will give it a try and report.