Puppy 2.15CE Office Edition - Trim the Fat!

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
richard.a

Re: towards feature set and reliability testing

#21 Post by richard.a »

WhoDo wrote:The community has asked me to find an alternative blue background that better displays the glass icons. I have a candidate already, but if Richard wants to contribute his two backgrounds for consideration, I'll be happy to trial them too.
Be pleased to do so. The one with a stripe reminds me a bit of a football gurnsey (or jersey/jumper according to where you are from and what code of football is being played :) )

Just a note; while I'm happy to contribute them, I didn't do any design per se, I merely adapted designs used elsewhere :)
[i]Have you noticed editing is always needed for the inevitable typos that weren't there when you hit the "post" button?[/i]

[img]http://micro-hard.dreamhosters.com/416434.png[/img]

richard.a

Re: towards feature set and reliability testing

#22 Post by richard.a »

richard.a wrote:I've created iconised desktop buttons as described between the two images.

---snip---

"ShutDown" >>> (/usr/X11R7/bin/wmpoweroff)
/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/shutdown.png
I should look for reboot icon as well, and will check what SuSE uses; I think shutdown is red anyway.
Actually SuSE 9.3 and 9.1 (I don't have 10 and later installed anywhere currently) don't have big button icons for logout, reboot and shutdown.

But WindowsXP does and here are what appears be to the the default colouring and design...

I think it would be nice if we could change that menu item to throw out not a sub menu but a dialogue like that.

Wonder if this is useful or just a red herring?

Richard
Opening Day of the World Police and Fire Games
(here in Adelaide)
[i]Have you noticed editing is always needed for the inevitable typos that weren't there when you hit the "post" button?[/i]

[img]http://micro-hard.dreamhosters.com/416434.png[/img]

Springer

#23 Post by Springer »

How much is being cut out of OpenOffice? Will there be an easy (PETget?) way to add back in the functionality that's being cut out?

I'm starting to realize that I'd like to have the whole thing, and it appears that all that's going to be available, even in Office, is a severely cut-down version. (Which doesn't make all that much different anyway - like cutting down Seamonkey, my understanding is that the big hit in OpenOffice is with the first app in the suite, which requires the platform stuff: once you've bitten off that, the rest of the apps themselves are a small incremental difference.)

Really, I want Puppy to still be leaner than the 700 MB regular distros, but I've got no problem with 200-300 MB to deliver a very rich application set.

As I see it, V/Std is pretty lean, but still highly functional. Viz/Office is not longer lean, but has darn near everythign you're likely to want, working right out of the box...

WhoDo

#24 Post by WhoDo »

Springer wrote:How much is being cut out of OpenOffice? Will there be an easy (PETget?) way to add back in the functionality that's being cut out?
Nothing is being cut out. It will be the whole Magilla! :P
Springer wrote:Really, I want Puppy to still be leaner than the 700 MB regular distros, but I've got no problem with 200-300 MB to deliver a very rich application set.

As I see it, V/Std is pretty lean, but still highly functional. Viz/Office is not longer lean, but has darn near everythign you're likely to want, working right out of the box...
we're still working toward a sub-100Mb Standard Edition, and an Office Edition that peaks well below 290Mb, but available in several easy-to-download 100Mb+ chunks. Both should be possible if we can get the right people working on some more sfs plug-ins for Puppy. That is the real "growth area" for contributions to Puppy's future, and any efforts in that area won't become redundant with every new release. They will simply plug in to whatever Standard Edition is currently available, unless there are some serious underlying changes in the file system - say aufs replaces unionfs for example. Even then they may still work.

Current squash file plug-ins available or due out are:

Open Office 2.10 .... OOo_215.sfs (NathanF)
Puppy Graphics Stuff ... pgs_215.sfs (NathanF and PakG)
Web add-ons ... web_215.sfs (Pizzasgood)
Development pack .... devx_215.sfs (BarryK)
Fltk C++ Graphical Develpment .... fltkc++_215.sfs (Tronkel)

Still looking for Multimedia stuff ... mms_215.sfs (anyone?)

Cheers
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

Billwho?
Trialing 4.20

#25 Post by Billwho? »

Lobster wrote: I think shutterbug can go (we have a working screen capture)
Providing shutterbug is not too large I would like it to stay. I have found the ability to vary the delay time is quite handy.
Linux = Learning through doing :shock: :? :D
The learning curve may be steep but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
You just have to pass the occasional oncoming train to get there.

WhoDo

#26 Post by WhoDo »

Billwho? wrote:
Lobster wrote: I think shutterbug can go (we have a working screen capture)
Providing shutterbug is not too large I would like it to stay. I have found the ability to vary the delay time is quite handy.
Actually Shutterbug HAS to stay IF you want Xfe File Manager. It carries the necessary dependencies and Xfe won't run without it.

Cheers
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com