(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 18 Sep 2020, 14:30
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Old ZFS volume confuses Puppy 7.5 Installer / 8.0 GParted
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
3guesses

PostPosted: Tue 24 Dec 2019, 10:51    Post subject:  Old ZFS volume confuses Puppy 7.5 Installer / 8.0 GParted
Subject description: The 7.5 installer/8.0 GParted don't recognise partitions on an old ZFS volume

A bit of a strange one this. I have a laptop with 2 identical hard drives (one in the optical drive bay), and I think I experimented with setting up ZFS on them at some point in the past. Now, however, I have used cfdisk from Puppy 5.7.0 (my favourite version of cfdisk) to partition one of the hard drives (sdb): 3 primary partitions (installed, inter alia, with Windows XP) and a number of logical partitions (mostly various Linux distro installs). I have not had any problems with this set-up with Puppy versions 5.7.0 and 6.0.5 x64, but 7.5 x64 (xenialpup64) and 8.0 x64 (bionicpup64) each have differing but similar problems.

With Puppy 7.5 x64, the partitions on sdb show up fine in GParted (v0.25.0) but when I try to run the Universal Installer to install to the hard drive, it does not list the partitions on the hard drive (sdb) that exist there - all it shows is:

Code:

Here is what Puppy has found out about the chosen drive:
sdb:  zfs_member, size 350GB, installed

And my only option is: "Install Puppy to sdb"

With Puppy 8.0 x64 the problem is reversed: the installer lists all the partitions on the hard drive (so I've been able to install it no problem), but GParted (v0.30.0) again only lists a zfs file system on sdb:

Code:

Partition    File System   Size     etc
/dev/sdb           zfs     350GB

I haven't come across this problem with the (limited) other distros that I've tried on this particular laptop.
3guesses

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jan 2020, 16:38    Post subject: Any ideas?  

Does anybody have any ideas on this? I would really like to be able to install Puppy 7.5 on this machine but for some reason the version of the Puppy Universal Installer in 7.5 doesn't identify the partition schema on the drive. Can I download a later version of the installer after booting into the live CD?
TiredPup

PostPosted: Sun 12 Jan 2020, 11:59    Post subject:  

Interesting article about zfs popped up on itsfoss at https://itsfoss.com/linus-torvalds-zfs/.

EDIT:

Zfs was designed by Sun Microsystems and was eventually open sourced by Sun under the Sun CDDL license and cannot be included in the linux kernel. Here is an article on filesystems which includes a discussion of ZFS file systems on the lower half of the page.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/33552/htg-explains-which-linux-file-system-should-you-choose/
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to: