Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 29 Jan 2020, 00:36
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
EasyOS Buster 2.2.5, January 22, 2020
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 144 of 151 [2253 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, ..., 149, 150, 151 Next
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jan 2020, 20:40    Post subject:  

Terry H wrote:
BarryK wrote:
Terry H wrote:
I have installed the Opera Portable produced by Mike Walsh, it is running really well in both EasyOS Buster 2.2 and Pyro 1.3. I extracted the directory to /home/portable and created a launcher in /usr/share/applications. I then used Easy Container Management to set it up to run in a container, but unfortunately it won't run.

Running the executable created (ec-chroot-Opera-portable) from a terminal gives no indication of what the error is. When opening a terminal in the /usr/sbin directory, after executing, it only returns to the # prompt without any indication of an error. The log just shows that it starts, then stops.

So, just asking if there is something I could try to get it to run in a container?

Screen capture of /var/log:
https://ibb.co/d0Rpnyx

Look at the script /usr/sbin/ec-chroot-Opera-portable, it should look like this:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
empty -f ec-chroot Opera-portable

In a terminal, execute this:

Code:
# ec-chroot Opera-portable

What that will do is run the container at /mnt/wkg/containers/Opera-portable. There should be an executable in the path, named 'Opera-portable', when the container is running.

Running in a terminal as shown above should give some indication why it failed.

If it has tried to run Opera-portable and aborted, look in /mnt/wkg/containers/Opera-portable/.session/tmp/xerrors-Opera-portable.log

Thanks for the response. When run from a terminal there are no details written to xerrors-Opera-portable.log. The following information is returned to the terminal.

Code:

# ec-chroot Opera-portable
gtk-update-icon-cache: Cache file created successfully.
gtk-update-icon-cache: Cache file created successfully.
Executing: DISPLAY=:0  pflask --mount=bind:/mnt/sdb2/home/shared:/mnt/wkg/home/shared --keepenv --mount=bind:/tmp/.X11-unix/X0:/tmp/.X11-unix/X0 --no-ipcns --no-netns --mount=bind:/dev/snd:/dev/snd --mount=bind:/dev/mixer:/dev/mixer --caps=all,-sys_admin,-sys_boot,-sys_chroot,-sys_ptrace,-sys_time,-sys_tty_config,-chown,-kill,-dac_override,-dac_read_search,-fowner,-setfcap,-setpcap,-net_admin,-mknod,-sys_module,-sys_nice,-sys_resource --no-userns --chroot=/mnt/sdb2/containers/Opera-portable/container --  /.control/ec-run Opera-portable
[✔] Child exited
Unmounting: /mnt/sdb2/containers/Opera-portable/container
Unmounting: /mnt/sdb2/containers/Opera-portable/.ro0
Container Opera-portable stopped
#

At one point I did get a message of failing to run as root / no-sandbox when running in a terminal. I didn't get a copy of the output.

As this was just a test to set up a program running in a container, I don't want to waste anyone's further time on this. I am quite satisfied with running seamonkey within a container.

So thank you again for EasyOS.

Here is a trick, for chasing failure of an app to start in a container. I will do this with the "www" container. Start it like this:

Code:
# ec-chroot www urxvt

...what this does is start the www container, then looks for an executable named 'www', if not exist, then falls back to running 'urxvt'.

So, you have a terminal running. Then I type something, say "leafpad", or "seamonkey" and they start.

In your case:

Code:
# ec-chroot Opera-portable urxvt

...but you will have to rename the executable 'Opera-portable' to something else, say 'o-p', then when the terminal is running in the container, type "o-p" -- if it aborts, there should be an error msg in the terminal.

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jan 2020, 20:48    Post subject: Re: Internet tray applet
Subject description: vice versa situation

lp-dolittle wrote:
Furthermore, I became aware of an interesting phenomenon that relates to the rendering of drive/partition symbols in the menu tray:
If external drives onto which previously iso-images - or maybe rather hybrid iso-images - were copied are inserted, it may last several minutes until the respective symbols are displayed, To be precise, the symbols, if ever, flash up and disappear repeatedly until they finally persist and can be mounted. This effect is common to operating systems whose gparted-version is 0.30.0 or 0.32,0 showing the external drive as one iso-partition (type "iso=9660") (screenshot 2.png.gz)".

Gparted is now up to version 1.0.5. I will have a go compiling latest, for inclusion in next release, see how that goes.

EDIT:
Correction, latest Gparted is 1.0.0

Last edited by BarryK on Fri 10 Jan 2020, 11:00; edited 1 time in total
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jan 2020, 21:01    Post subject:  

corvus wrote:
Minor issue is alsamixer, setting it as default audio mixer does not start when I click on the menu item or the relevant icon in the system tray. Started from sakura terminal I get the following result:
Code:
root# urxvt -e alsamixer
Aborted

Started in sakura terminal works but is very ugly to see. It works if started directly from urxvt.

Yes, the problem is in /usr/share/applications/alsamixer.desktop and JWM not recognizing the "Terminal=true". The exec line has to be "Exec=urxvt -e alsamixer"

FeodorF

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jan 2020, 21:14    Post subject: How to setup a Samsung Printer in EasyOS  

corvus wrote:
Good day everybody,
First of all, a big thank you to Mr. Kauler for his time and effort in creating this fantastic distribution.
I've been testing Easy Buster64 2.2 for a few weeks on my laptop in a non-deep way, basically surfing the internet.
The only relevant issue is the malfunction of my printer, an Samsung ML-1670 laser printer. Some time ago I got a pet file from the Unified Linux Driver that I use on some versions of Puppy (Bionicpup64, Fatdog64-802 and lately on LxPup64-20.1) without any problems, with Buster 2.2 I can't make it work. Whatever I try to print it only prints the following strings:
Quote:
INTERNAL ERROR - uw_color == 4
POSITION : 0x0 (0)
SYSTEM : h6fw_5.49/xl_image
LINE : 341
VERSION : SPL 5.49 10.20.2010

I had a similar problem some time ago with peebee's ScPup64, on that occasion the error was due to an incompatibility of the samsung unified driver and CUPS 2.2.11 version, fixed with the subsequent update 2.2.12 of CUPS. Reference: https://github.com/apple/cups/issues/5562
In the CUPS errorlog the only warning/error messages are:
Quote:
- Unknown directive BrowseOrder on line 24 of /etc/cups/cupsd.conf.
- Unknown directive BrowseAllow on line 25 of /etc/cups/cupsd.conf.
- Filter \"pstoraster\" not found.
- Unable to open raster stream - : Broken pipe
- Job stopped due to filter errors; please consult the /var/log/cups/error_log file for details.
- Failed to send: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown:The name org.freedesktop.ColorManager was not provided by any .service files
- Failed to get find device cups-Samsung_ML-1670_Series
- Calling FindDeviceById(cups-Samsung_ML-1670_Series)
- Failed to send: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown:The name org.freedesktop.ColorManager was not provided by any .service files
- Failed to get device cups-Samsung_ML-1670_Series
- Error: /ioerror in --showpage--
- Last OS error: Broken pipe
- GPL Ghostscript 9.27: Unrecoverable error, exit code 1

Please download the ULD_v1.00.29.tar.gz from this link: http://www.samsungsetup.com/TS/Client/en/Install.html

Extract the ULD..tar.gz file and copy the following files out of the created /uld folder to:
/uld/x86_64/libscmssc.so -> /usr/lib/libscmssc.so
/uld/x86_64/rastertospl -> /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertospl
/uld/noarch/share/ppd/Samsung_ML-1670_Series.ppd -> /usr/share/ppd/Samsung_ML-1670_Series.ppd

finaly create two symlinks of:
/usr/lib/cups/filter/gstoraster -> /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstoraster
/usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertospl -> /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertosplc (see: https://askubuntu.com/search?q=rastertosplc )

After reboot with the printer powered up cups will be able to autodetect your printer via:
Menu->Setup->CUPS Printer Wizard

Hope this works for you.

Printing with Buster-2.2 works for me (Samsung ML-2160).

Last edited by FeodorF on Fri 10 Jan 2020, 16:09; edited 1 time in total
corvus

PostPosted: Thu 09 Jan 2020, 15:14    Post subject:  

Hi Barry,
BarryK wrote:
The exec line has to be "Exec=urxvt -e alsamixer"

That's how it is. The error is not constant sometimes the alsmixer window appears.

Thanks FeodorF for your help but it did not work, I got the same result. I tried to install the SPLIX drivers from openprinting but it didn't work either.
I also tried to install the drivers from ULD_v1.00.29 via the installation script. Despite the fact that during installation it displays a lot of errors in the terminal:
Code:
/usr/bin/cups-config: line 23: dpkg-architecture: command not found
/usr/bin/cups-config: line 24: dpkg-architecture: command not found
/usr/bin/cups-config: line 52: dpkg-architecture: command not found
/usr/bin/cups-config: line 23: dpkg-architecture: command not found
/usr/bin/cups-config: line 24: dpkg-architecture: command not found
/usr/bin/cups-config: line 52: dpkg-architecture: command not found

there are no errors in the cups errorlog:
Quote:
I [09/Jan/2020:19:06:47 +0100] [Client 31] Started "/usr/lib/cups/cgi-bin/printers.cgi" (pid=12076, file=14)
I [09/Jan/2020:19:06:47 +0100] [Job ???] Request file type is application/vnd.cups-pdf-banner.
I [09/Jan/2020:19:06:47 +0100] [Job 5] Adding start banner page "none".
I [09/Jan/2020:19:06:47 +0100] [Job 5] Adding end banner page "none".
I [09/Jan/2020:19:06:47 +0100] [Job 5] File of type application/vnd.cups-pdf-banner queued by "anonymous".
I [09/Jan/2020:19:06:47 +0100] [Job 5] Queued on "Samsung_ML-1670_Series" by "anonymous".
I [09/Jan/2020:19:06:47 +0100] [Job 5] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/bannertopdf (PID 12077)
I [09/Jan/2020:19:06:47 +0100] [Job 5] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/pdftopdf (PID 12078)
I [09/Jan/2020:19:06:47 +0100] [Job 5] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/gstoraster (PID 12079)
I [09/Jan/2020:19:06:47 +0100] [Job 5] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertospl (PID 12080)
I [09/Jan/2020:19:06:47 +0100] [Job 5] Started backend /usr/lib/cups/backend/usb (PID 12081)
I [09/Jan/2020:19:06:49 +0100] [Client 33] Started "/usr/lib/cups/cgi-bin/printers.cgi" (pid=12097, file=13)
I [09/Jan/2020:19:06:56 +0100] [Job 5] Job completed.
I [09/Jan/2020:19:06:56 +0100] Expiring subscriptions...
I [09/Jan/2020:19:06:59 +0100] [Client 36] Started "/usr/lib/cups/cgi-bin/printers.cgi" (pid=12152, file=13)
I [09/Jan/2020:19:07:03 +0100] [Client 38] Started "/usr/lib/cups/cgi-bin/admin.cgi" (pid=12162, file=13)
I [09/Jan/2020:19:07:03 +0100] Expiring subscriptions...

but continues to print the usual strange strings.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited by corvus on Thu 09 Jan 2020, 19:03; edited 2 times in total
wdt

PostPosted: Thu 09 Jan 2020, 17:15    Post subject:  

Printers troubleshooting....
I am convinced, most of the time,it is a problem with the pdf filter
Test, as so
print a simple plain text, print a complicated plain text (v large & small fonts)
print a jpg, print a png, print a pdf
What works, what doesn't
Then you know something
scsijon

PostPosted: Thu 09 Jan 2020, 18:23    Post subject:  

@BarryK

I sadly agree that pyro has reached it's limits without a major rebuild and time, however it's at a good place to stop.

I've been trolling through the kernel 5.4 problem reports and changelogs trying to find something related to my problem and have got up to 5.4.10 (the latest) which has only one fix, so maybe it's done for other than retro fixes, as 5.5.x is due out soon. However, in the 5.4.9 changelog were a couple of fixes that seem to relate to my problem, so can I ask you to update the kernel again from 5.4.6 to 5.4.10 (or later if it's updated again) when you next do another release please.

By-the-way, with a little more looking against the drive name changes problem, if I get filemanager working in time and changed to look at /mnt before it happens, it is showing the previous (sdb2) is still supposedly connected when the new (sdc2) becomes activated. Nothing that needs a file/command loading works of course though, which is why I suspect the 5.4.9 fixes relating to usb and it's timing clock maybe just be the correction needed for this problem.
scsijon

PostPosted: Thu 09 Jan 2020, 21:04    Post subject: touchpad problem with buster 2.2  

different laptop (hp) and problem so separated from my troublesome laptop problem.

I have a laptop with touchscreen and touchpad below the keyboard, Loaded buster 2.2 ok. ?How do I turn off the touchpad as I can't seem to find a place that turns just it off without loosing the touchscreen also.
corvus

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jan 2020, 08:25    Post subject:  

wdt wrote:
Printers troubleshooting....
I am convinced, most of the time,it is a problem with the pdf filter
Test, as so
print a simple plain text, print a complicated plain text (v large & small fonts)
print a jpg, print a png, print a pdf
What works, what doesn't
Then you know something

Thanks wdt for the suggestion.
I tried to print different types of files but it always prints the same strings.
Greetings

wdt

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jan 2020, 10:37    Post subject:  

OK, that probably means that the whole cups setup is wrong,,
I assume that if you try to print the cups test image the same thing happens.
Do you have most recent driver (it is not so recent, samsung is 'dumping' printers)
uld_V1.00.39_01.17.tar.gz ,, this, I think, is a universal driver
--edit--
it does work with cups, adds the samsung specific settings and filters
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jan 2020, 11:04    Post subject:  

scsijon wrote:
@BarryK

I sadly agree that pyro has reached it's limits without a major rebuild and time, however it's at a good place to stop.

I've been trolling through the kernel 5.4 problem reports and changelogs trying to find something related to my problem and have got up to 5.4.10 (the latest) which has only one fix, so maybe it's done for other than retro fixes, as 5.5.x is due out soon. However, in the 5.4.9 changelog were a couple of fixes that seem to relate to my problem, so can I ask you to update the kernel again from 5.4.6 to 5.4.10 (or later if it's updated again) when you next do another release please.

By-the-way, with a little more looking against the drive name changes problem, if I get filemanager working in time and changed to look at /mnt before it happens, it is showing the previous (sdb2) is still supposedly connected when the new (sdc2) becomes activated. Nothing that needs a file/command loading works of course though, which is why I suspect the 5.4.9 fixes relating to usb and it's timing clock maybe just be the correction needed for this problem.

Easy 2.2.3 should be out very soon, with the 5.4.10 kernel.

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jan 2020, 11:08    Post subject: Re: touchpad problem with buster 2.2  

scsijon wrote:
different laptop (hp) and problem so separated from my troublesome laptop problem.

I have a laptop with touchscreen and touchpad below the keyboard, Loaded buster 2.2 ok. ?How do I turn off the touchpad as I can't seem to find a place that turns just it off without loosing the touchscreen also.

You tried with pSynClient? (menu Desktop -> pSynClient touchpad setup)

You could try the older flSynClient, should be a PET available via the PPM.

rcrsn51

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jan 2020, 12:54    Post subject:  

@corvus:

1. Make sure to reboot your printer before each test.

2. Check the version of Ghostscript in a Puppy that works (run: gs -h). Is it earlier than 9.27?

3. Try copying a working version of rastertospl (in /usr/lib/cups/filter) from Puppy into Buster.
Auronius

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jan 2020, 14:55    Post subject:  

Good day!
First of all, a big thank you to Mr. Kauler for creating this great distribution! It is very useful for working online without being worried about online threats, viruses, etc... Also, I like very much its installation easiness and its ability to run on old computers! So thank you again!
Today, I have installed it on my old good Intel X25-M SSD in Chieftec USB 3.1 box and started testing. Here are my system specifications and CPU.
Unfortunately, after about six hours of testing, I have found several problems. I don`t know, can I name them "bugs" or not.
1. Pmcputemp always shows the same temperature. Even if CPU is 80% loaded or 1% loaded it always shows 27 degrees. That is not true temperature of my CPU.
2. PET Package installer shows, that lm-sensors package is already installed. But, when I try to launch it from console, it says, Command not found. Why?
3. When I launch Calendar from clock, I can not close it. There is neither [x] button, nor [Close] button.
4. When I launch SFS package Installer, and choose ftp.nluug.nl server, the installer performs probe for very long time, about 4-5 minutes! Also Chromium browser there is not the latest version.
And questions:
1. How can I change desktop background to my photo for example? Where should I put that photo?
2. Is it possible to save downloaded files, which have been downloaded using browser running in container?
P.S. I know, there are many links in my post, but i wanted to make things as clear as possible. Also in Q4OS forum, the developers liked such format. I hope, it is not forbidden to make such posts here too.
Update: I have found answers to those two questions by myself:
1. I need to put photos/pictures in /usr/share/backgrounds folder.
2. Answer is here. Sorry, I had not read this before posting.
I still need help with those 4 problems, I reported.

Last edited by Auronius on Sat 11 Jan 2020, 15:28; edited 1 time in total
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jan 2020, 21:15    Post subject:  

Auronius wrote:
Good day!
First of all, a big thank you to Mr. Kauler for creating this great distribution! It is very useful for working online without being worried about online threats, viruses, etc... Also, I like very much its installation easiness and its ability to run on old computers! So thank you again!
Today, I have installed it on my old good Intel X25-M SSD in Chieftec USB 3.1 box and started testing. Here are my system specifications and CPU.
Unfortunately, after about six hours of testing, I have found several problems. I don`t know, can I name them "bugs" or not.
1. Pmcputemp always shows the same temperature. Even if CPU is 80% loaded or 1% loaded it always shows 27 degrees. That is not true temperature of my CPU.
2. PET Package installer shows, that lm-sensors package is already installed. But, when I try to launch it from console, it says, Command not found. Why?
3. When I launch Calendar from clock, I can not close it. There is neither [x] button, nor [Close] button.
4. When I launch SFS package Installer, and choose ftp.nluug.nl server, the installer performs probe for very long time, about 4-5 minutes! Also Chromium browser there is not the latest version.
And questions:
1. How can I change desktop background to my photo for example? Where should I put that photo?
2. Is it possible to save downloaded files, which have been downloaded using browser running in container?
P.S. I know, there are many links in my post, but i wanted to make things as clear as possible. Also in Q4OS forum, the developers liked such format. I hope, it is not forbidden to make such posts here too.

That's fine, multiple points in the one post is ok. I will get onto checking them out soon.

Page 144 of 151 [2253 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, ..., 149, 150, 151 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: