Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 29 Jan 2020, 00:33
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Security
Interesting read on cookies in PCLinuxOS magazine
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
Author Message
peterw

Joined: 19 Jul 2006
Posts: 427
Location: UK

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jan 2020, 17:06    Post subject:  Interesting read on cookies in PCLinuxOS magazine  

Just read about cookies here: https://pclosmag.com/html/Issues/202001/page04.html and found it interesting and worrying. I guess that with Puppy with a frugal install we can create a new savefile every so often and that would get rid of them for a while. The trouble is that all web sites "infect" your system.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
dancytron

Joined: 18 Jul 2012
Posts: 1445

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jan 2020, 19:28    Post subject:  

There are addons that allow you to whitelist a few necessary or convenient cookies and then periodically delete the rest.

I use https://github.com/Rob--W/cookie-manager, which is not pretty but does the job.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Flash
Official Dog Handler


Joined: 04 May 2005
Posts: 13474
Location: Arizona USA

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jan 2020, 20:24    Post subject:  

I think Firefox and SeaMonkey can do the same thing, though I haven't used either one for that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
tallboy


Joined: 21 Sep 2010
Posts: 1602
Location: Drøbak, Norway

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jan 2020, 21:14    Post subject:  

There's a lot of devious bastards out there!
I run a live Puppy from RAM through a VPN, and set my PaleMoon to delete all cookies on shutdown, and delete PM entries in root/.cache. I shutdown and restart PM between browsed themes. My /etc/hosts have more than 22.000 blocked IPs. Sensitive emails are sent with Protonmail. I feel relatively safe.

_________________
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
8Geee


Joined: 12 May 2008
Posts: 2120
Location: N.E. USA

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jan 2020, 01:24    Post subject:  

Actually in FF/seaMonkey there are two files that can be tossed named cookies and places. These are in the random-named folder with in the main folder.

As far as cookies, keep pencil/paper handy with those security answers. Embarassed

Regards
8Geee

_________________
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Sylvander

Joined: 15 Dec 2008
Posts: 4424
Location: West Lothian, Scotland, UK

PostPosted: Thu 09 Jan 2020, 08:34    Post subject:  

I have my number-1 Puppy = Slacko-5.7.0-pae, configured so that it doesn't auto-save any session changes during the session [unless I click "Save", and almost never do so]...
And also, during shut-down/reboot, the default is "Don't save", and I almost always hit "Enter" to choose this.

Am I correct in thinking that this results in [new] cookies [and all other changes] not being saved?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
mikeslr


Joined: 16 Jun 2008
Posts: 3622
Location: 500 seconds from Sol

PostPosted: Thu 09 Jan 2020, 12:26    Post subject:  

Sylvander wrote:
I have my number-1 Puppy = Slacko-5.7.0-pae, configured so that it doesn't auto-save any session changes during the session [unless I click "Save", and almost never do so]...
And also, during shut-down/reboot, the default is "Don't save", and I almost always hit "Enter" to choose this.

Am I correct in thinking that this results in [new] cookies [and all other changes] not being saved?


Not if you are using portable web-browsers located on /mnt/home. They are constructed to have profiles within their own folder and cache files would, thus, be written immediately to the folder on Storage. But, yes if your web-browser runs from 'Puppy-Space', including /opt which is where just installing a web-browser portable pet would have installed the portable's folder.

Since I move such folders from their original location to /mnt/home, I always configure cache --all history-- to be cleared when a browser is closed. Important activity is undertaken with a freshly (re)opened web-browser before doing anything else.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Sylvander

Joined: 15 Dec 2008
Posts: 4424
Location: West Lothian, Scotland, UK

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jan 2020, 08:13    Post subject:  

1.
mikeslr wrote:
Not if you are using portable web-browsers located on /mnt/home. They are constructed to have profiles within their own folder and cache files would, thus, be written immediately to the folder on Storage. But, yes if your web-browser runs from 'Puppy-Space', including /opt which is where just installing a web-browser portable pet would have installed the portable's folder.

How best to discover which of my 2 Firefoxes, Palemoon and Slimjet are working from where?
I believe none of them are portable, but not certain.
When I search I find folders/files all over the place.
Semme set up my web browsers by taking control of my Desktop PC. Very Happy

2.
mikeslr wrote:
Since I move such folders from their original location to /mnt/home, I always configure cache --all history-- to be cleared when a browser is closed. Important activity is undertaken with a freshly (re)opened web-browser before doing anything else.

a. e.g. I have /mnt/home/firefox_61 and /mnt/home/firefox_current-profile.
In "Firefox 64.0" web-browser [updated from 61?]:
Preferences->Privacy and Security:
a1. Trackers are blocked always.
a2. All 3rd-party cookies are blocked.
a3. "Do not track" is "Always".
a4. All 3rd party cookies and site data are blocked.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
mouldy


Joined: 04 May 2005
Posts: 640

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jan 2020, 22:08    Post subject:  

dancytron wrote:
There are addons that allow you to whitelist a few necessary or convenient cookies and then periodically delete the rest.

I use https://github.com/Rob--W/cookie-manager, which is not pretty but does the job.


This. I use Cookie AutoDelete addon in Firefox. You can whitelist any sites you want. Any other site it will delete all cookies when you leave that site. And you can set how many seconds until it deletes after you leave. You have to set "autoclean enabled" before it does anything. Its set "autoclean disabled" by default. Once you set it, it stays that way unless you change it manually.

I usually use Firefox but have Chromium too. There is similar addon for it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Security
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0662s ][ Queries: 12 (0.0222s) ][ GZIP on ]