Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 29 Jan 2020, 00:43
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
64-bit 'portable' Opera browser.....
Page 4 of 4 [54 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
davids45

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jan 2020, 17:31    Post subject: Fixed in 64ScPup with gsettings-desktop-schemas-......  

G'day,

Thanks watchdog for your easy fix to this problem Very Happy .

(And rcrsn51 for the confirmation.)

I installed from the Puppy Package Manager repository your solution - gsettings-desktop-schemas-3.18.1-x86_64-1.txz

....... and Opera Portable is now working in my 64ScPup-20.01.

I did not need to add the gtk+3 and at-spi2-atk packages mentioned by watchdog. I had already added my all-applications sfs, so could have unknowingly added these if they are actually needed in a totally fresh 64ScPup.

Perhaps Mike Walsh could add a note to the first post in this thread about this need for 64ScPup to run Opera?

David S.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jan 2020, 20:07    Post subject:  

@ David:-

davids45 wrote:
Perhaps Mike Walsh could add a note to the first post in this thread about this need for 64ScPup to run Opera?

I certainly can if you want, David. Though you may as well be aware that I'm going to be 'out of the game' for a while....

(The old Compaq tower turned up its toes & died this morning. It's shuffled off this mortal coil; like the parrot in the Monty Python sketch, it's an ex-PC...!)

So, consequently, the old Dell lappie will be my staple daily driver for a while, till I get some funds together, and probably see if I can find a refurbished ex-business model kicking around at a reasonable price. Until then, the only dev work I shall be doing will be on 32-bit stuff, I'm afraid. Sorry about that, kiddiwinks.

16 years is a good innings for any PC, no matter its parentage. I'm not grumbling.

Mike. Wink

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Fri 17 Jan 2020, 19:22; edited 1 time in total
thinkpadfreak

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jan 2020, 07:22    Post subject:  

Hello.

I wonder if this is the right place to discuss the matter, but here is an item of news.

Issue 1036742: [Linux only] Rendering stalls for 2-10 seconds every 5-15 seconds
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1036742

It seems that what is happening in Chrome 79 has something to do with the bug of Chromium.

Besides Chrome, the current version of Vivaldi seems to be affected, because it is based on Chromium 79.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jan 2020, 10:20    Post subject:  

thinkpadfreak wrote:
Hello.

I wonder if this is the right place to discuss the matter, but here is an item of news.

Issue 1036742: [Linux only] Rendering stalls for 2-10 seconds every 5-15 seconds
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1036742

It seems that what is happening in Chrome 79 has something to do with the bug of Chromium.

Besides Chrome, the current version of Vivaldi seems to be affected, because it is based on Chromium 79.

Oh, it would, definitely. Chromium is the 'base' browser from which all the others derive; Chrome - Iron - Slimjet - Opera - Vivaldi - et al.

Don't forget; the Chromium Project is pretty much Google's browser R & D department. Nobody ever says as much, but Big Brother funds the whole shebang; that's where all the 'cutting-edge' stuff is tried out.....

Mike. Wink

rockedge

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jan 2020, 13:11    Post subject:  

Hello Mike!

Another example of Opera-portable running well on tahr64-light-6.0.5-uefi-MK1

this is a very light version of Tahr64 with the 3.14 kernel

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1047516#1047516
Screenshot-600px.png
 Description   
 Filesize   84.23 KB
 Viewed   214 Time(s)

Screenshot-600px.png

dancytron

PostPosted: Fri 17 Jan 2020, 00:43    Post subject:  

Opera continues to run fast for me. I might switch permanently.
jrb

PostPosted: Fri 17 Jan 2020, 08:30    Post subject:  

wrong thread.

Even though I posted in the wrong thread, I'm very happy with this Portable Opera.

Cheers, J
davids45

PostPosted: Fri 17 Jan 2020, 18:55    Post subject: Just pining for the fjords?
Subject description: Can zigbert help?

G'day Mike W.,

Sorry to hear your Norwegian Blue Compaq is no longer nailed to its perch.

As the user of four old HP desktop 'teenagers', I worry about what to do if any ....

Good luck with finding a replacement.

David S.
keniv

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jan 2020, 16:46    Post subject:  

watchdog wrote:
Some success in ScPup64 by installing gsettings-desktop-schemas-3.18.1-x86_64-1.txz. Already installed gtk+3 from 14.2 and at-spi2-atk.

After following the above instructions I have opera running on ScPup64, however, it does not retain all of it's settings. For example on setting On Startup from "Retain tabs from previous session" to "Open a specific page or set of pages" (which I set to DuckDuckGo lite). On shutting down then reopening opera On Startup has reset itself to "Open a specific page or set of pages" . When this happens two tabs open on startup the first being DuckDuckGo lite and the second is the previous session tab. Likewise on Search engine I change from "Google Search" to "DuckDuckGo". Again after shutdown and restart of opera this has reset to Google Search. Can I ask if anybody else has noticed this or similar. Can anybody suggest a solution to this problem?

Regards,

Ken.
Page 4 of 4 [54 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to: