Bionic Puppy 8.0 x64 Live CD on Microsoft Surface 3

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
3guesses

Bionic Puppy 8.0 x64 Live CD on Microsoft Surface 3

#1 Post by 3guesses »

Just a quick post to report that the Bionic Puppy 8.0 x64 Live CD (on USB flash drive - created using Rufus 2.18.1213 under Windows XP) boots successfully on a Microsoft Surface 3, and on preliminary investigation mostly works:

- The wifi card works using Barry's Simple Network Setup tool
- The USB 3.0 port works
- The display works at 1920x1080 full HD
- The eMMC drive is recognised and accessible
- Most of the temperature sensors work (a couple reporting absolute zero, -273.20 C)
- Intel Atom x7-Z8700 Processor (w/ 4 cores) recognised
- 4GB memory recognised
- Pressing the power button brings up the acpid Shutdown/Suspend dialogue (suspend blanks the screen but does not power it down, so I'm guessing the tablet does not enter sleep mode proper).

What doesn't seem to work:

- There is no sound (Sound Card Wizard displays 3 cards, but "configure" reports that they have no controls)
- I don't think the touchscreen works (can't be 100% because this Surace 3's screen is damaged)
- The battery isn't recognised (the most signifcant fault, I guess)

All I've really done is boot the Live CD (disable Secure Boot and change boot order from just SSD - enter BIOS by depressing Volume-Up rocker and then powering on), synchronise the time and start the Palemoon web browser, so there may well be other issues but so far it's looking pretty good if you're confident you won't run out of juice and don't need any sound 8)

NOTE: I don't believe the micro-SD card reader is recognised by the BIOS as a bootable device, so Puppy can't be installed to and booted from a micro-SD card on the Surface 3.