Amazed at file recovery

Promote Puppy !
ktat

Amazed at file recovery

#1 Post by ktat »

I've been using Puppy Linux for about 15 years now. I have always found it's simplicity, low resource usage and special features to be handy at various times and for various things.

Recently, my Dad mentioned that he had a USB that his windows desktop could no longer read. I said I'd have a play around with it - I use the command line a bit and thought there would probably be a BASH utility out there that could help recover some of the data.

Anyway, I researched and played around to no avail. Even foremost came up with nothing. I had been using Ubuntu and Mx Linux. Sometimes I could see the filesystem, then I'd try and open something and the OS would freeze. I was starting to think nothing was salvageable.

Then I tried booting up BionicPup32 and mounting the dodgy USB. It mounted, no problem! I could search through the filesystem and the first file I tried opening opened immediately. As it turns out, I was able to copy 99% of the files onto another USB using rsync. It was a lengthy process as some files (even though they were only, say, 5MB in size) would take around 20mins to copy and there was 4GB in total to transfer.

I don't know how Pup did it, but my Dad was very grateful to have access to those files again!! There were some very precious memories on there.

So the reason I came here was that I had been to the Pup homepage looking for some place I could make a donation, to say thanks, but couldn't find one. I also sent an email, direct to Barry. He said the he didn't want anything and said that there were many contributors to the project. Is there a place I can contribute to the project with a donation, or at least a review??

Thank you all for your great work and best wishes!

Terry H

#2 Post by Terry H »

Good to hear puppy came to the rescue. As you were using bionicpup32, the developer of bionicpup32 is peebee, the link for bionicpup32 on sourceforge on this page has a donate button: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=113244

jplt3

#3 Post by jplt3 »

Here is his web site : http://lx-pup.weebly.com/
JpLt

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

We are Puppy!
Resistance is futile!

Your problem seems to be, maybe, some really bad file system fragmentation.
Wonder if running Windows defrag, on that USB, would help. :idea:
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

cthisbear

#5 Post by cthisbear »

" So the reason I came here was that I had been to the Pup homepage looking for some place I could make a donation "

"""""""""

I 'll send you my email address soon.
No reason for you to worry.

""""""""""

Anyway great that you had a good result.
Tell your dad to give his mates the good news about Puppy.

Cheers....Chris.