How to install SeaMonkey 2.49 in Tahr Pup?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Barkingmad

How to install SeaMonkey 2.49 in Tahr Pup?

#1 Post by Barkingmad »

Hello

I am looking to install the latest SeaMonkey (2.49) on a new install of Taha pup.

I have downloaded the .gz archive from the SeaMonkey project but how to use it in Puppy?

I see that Taha Quickpet offers an old version, 2.2x, could I install that to establish the links etc in Puppy then unpack the 2.49 over the main files? The 2.2 will no longer 'self update' to the latest.

I want to use SeaMonkey as I have an existing set of mailboxes on a separate partition that I want to be able to access.

I'm sure this should be easier tha I am making it but wanted some advice before messing things up.

Thanks for any help
Will

6502coder

#2 Post by 6502coder »

This post by jrb may help:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 23#1027623

Note that the latest SeaMonkey requries GTK3 which Tahr does not have; jrb's post explains how to deal with this.

mikeslr

Can you live with SeaMonkey 2.46?

#3 Post by mikeslr »

Can you live with SeaMonkey 2.46?

I still use it as my main web-browser in Slacko 5.7.2CE. There are very few web-sites which won't allow it access. I can use it to watch Youtube videos and listen to Youtube music.

Seamonkey 2.46 can be downloaded from https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/. Scroll to the bottom of the page. Below the Heading "Old and Unofficial Releases" are the number of Old and Unofficial version. Left-Click the number 2.46 and its download page will open. Select the Download=Far-Right (Linux) Column for your preferred language (Far Left). Left-Click it and a tar.bz2 file will be downloaded.

Once its finished downloading, Right-Click that file and select (from the Popup WIndow) UExtract. Within the Extracted folder will be one just named seamonkey. You can move it anywhere such as to /opt within 'Puppy Space' or to /mnt/home which is the Storage Media on which your Puppy is located.

Within the Seamonkey folder is the binary named seamonkey. Left-clicking it starts seamonkey. You can drag the binary to your desktop (creating a symlink/"short-cut")for easy access. [There are posts which will tell you how to add a nice icon to that; and others on how to add such "External Program" to your Start Menu].

A word of caution: This seamonkey has not been modified. It thinks its User operates from a folder on storage. A Puppy run as Root, and the root folder is copied to and from RAM*. The result is that files automatically downloaded as you open websites are in /root/.cache/mozilla/seamonkey. Note the "."/dot signifying a 'hidden file'. Left-Click Rox's Eye to see them. Web-cache can quickly occupy a great deal of RAM, slowing down your operating system.

I always configure seamonkey to clear cache when it closes. And, if I'm doing a lot of web-work, periodically use Seamonkey's Menu>Tools>Clear Private Data.

* On Bootup, Puppy creates the /root folder in RAM by copying files from the file-systems on Storage. If you don't turn off the Automatic Save, periodically and on Shutdown/reboot Puppies write most of the contents of the /root folder in RAM to Storage, including the cache web-files. Unless you've turned off the Automatic Save, those cache files will be copied from Storage to RAM the next time you boot Puppy. So, another way of not accumulating cache files is to 'Remove the Automatic Save'. There's a thread on the How to Section explaining how to turn it off.

perdido

#4 Post by perdido »

Probably need a GTK2 version of seamonkey. for a stock Tahr

Forum member Norgo compiles a GTK2 seamonkey 2.49 as referenced by the following post from forum member musher0
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 46#1024546

There are other less straightforward options such as upgrading to GTK3 to accomodate an as released seamonkey 2.49 build -
there is some discussion in the following link if interested
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 04#1024504

Mike Walsh

#5 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Barking:-

I now have available a 'portable' version of the final GTK2 Seamonkey build, 2.48, if that's any good to you:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 11#1038911

Your choice, of course.

Mike. :wink:

mikeslr

#6 Post by mikeslr »

I mis-recalled Mike Walsh's pet as being seamonkey 2.49. :oops: Downloading the pet and clicking it to install it is much easier than the instructions I gave above. :lol:

If I recall correctly, it installs to /opt. Opt is also a folder whose contents --including any cache-- will occupy RAM. [Only files/folders "hanging from" /mnt don't occupy RAM]. But you have another way to prevent that. Open one file-browser window to /opt and a second file-brower window to /mnt/home (Left-Click its drive-icon just above the Task-bar. It will be the one with the "x" immediately on bootup). Place your mouse-cursor on the /opt/seamonkey folder. Left-press, Hold, then drag it into the "mnt/home" Window. Select Move from the pop-up menu. With the seamonkey folder now on /mnt/home Left-press it again, Hold, drag it back to /opt and select Link(relative) from the popup window. This will create a symbolic link, a stronger version of Windows' short-cuts.

Seamonkey will now be outside of "Puppy Space". But Tahr will treat it as if it were still in /opt.

It still makes sense to Clear-Cache often. Cache is not on your computer for your benefit. It so that Websites don't have to transmit the information again. While having it on your computer may increase your browsing speed by mili-seconds, the contents of Web-pages change. So the value of the cache on your computer diminishes quickly.

Barkingmad

#7 Post by Barkingmad »

WOW!!!

What a response. I will have to digest the ideas a bit and experiment in a clean boot, but I am already thinking of some alternative ways to approch this.

Thanks again Will

mow9902

#8 Post by mow9902 »

I am also a tahrpup 6.0.5 user

I have been using seamonkey since forever and am running the latest current version 2.49.5

I just downloaded the bz2 file from their official download page - unzipped it into its own directory (anywhere will do), but I have all of my apps in a separate set of folders outside of the save file, and actually on a separate partition. I've been using it this way for a long time.

Works fine for me.

Barkingmad

#9 Post by Barkingmad »

Hello

I've got back to this little project and thought I should give an update.

I'm useing Tahr6.0.6 and as mow9902 has found Seamonkey 2.49.5 (latest at pesent) seems to run fine. Download the 'tar' file from the Seamonkey project and unpack it and run the 'seamonkey' file that's inside the seamonkey folder that's produced. Run in a terminal gives some errors but but the browser and mail seem to be OK - I haven't actually tried the other bits.

Now, a question as to the problem of cache files gradually clogging RAM as mentioned by Mike up the thread. I have used Seamonkey's Edit>Prefs>Advanced>Cache to set the cache location outside of "Puppy Space" Will this prevent that problem?

Thanks
Will

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#10 Post by Flash »

The answer to your question depends partly on how you're running Puppy. Full install, frugal install, from CD or DVD with save file? What?

You might consider telling SeaMonkey to put its cache in a flash memory you keep plugged into the computer. If you reboot regularly (say by shutting down every night and rebooting the next morning) you can tell SeaMonkey to put the cache in /tmp and it won't be saved. Or you can tell SeaMonkey to limit the size of the cache.

Mike Walsh

#11 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Barkingmad:-
Barkingmad wrote:I'm using Tahr6.0.6 and as mow9902 has found Seamonkey 2.49.5 (latest at present) seems to run fine.
That's understandable. Up to & including Tahr 6.0.5, GTK 3.0 had to be installed by the user, if, as & when required. When Phil B did the final upgrade to 6.0.6 (essentially for UEFI boot-compatible items and a number of bugfixes), GTK 3.0 was finally included in the ISO by default.

I agree with Mike about copying over the .cache directory, deleting the original, then sym-linking the newly-copied directory back to the original location. Assuming you always keep to the same locations every time you upgrade, this only needs to be set up once; when done, it will continue to work indefinitely.

Mike. :wink:

Barkingmad

#12 Post by Barkingmad »

Hello

Thanks, Flash

I using a Tahr frugal install to hard drive with a save folder.

At present I have used Seamonkeies UI to set the cache location to another partition of the hard drive, along with the profile and mailboxes. I hoped this would keep it all separate from Puppy files so be easier to maintain.

Thanks again
Will

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#13 Post by Flash »

Thanks. Keep us posted. :)