StretchDog

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
fredx181

#281 Post by fredx181 »

Ether wrote:Now I'm ready to download and install Chromium. But a thought occurred to me: am I supposed to do this when I'm logged in as root, or as puppy?? Last time I did as as root. Could that be the problem ?
Doesn't really matter. When logged in as puppy (or any other unprivileged user) you need to use "sudo'" for administrator tasks such as installing software, so then:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install chromium
(and you'll be asked for password)

If running chromium is the only reason for logging in as puppy, I'd say better stay with login as root and use the "chrome-puppy.sh" script (but modified for chromium as you discussed with dancytron above).

Running the system as root is more convenient IMO.

Fred

Ether

#282 Post by Ether »

fredx181 wrote:If running chromium is the only reason for logging in as puppy, I'd say better stay with login as root and use the "chrome-puppy.sh" script (but modified for chromium as you discussed with dancytron above).
Chromium won't run as root unless you use the switch "--no-sandbox"...

... and if you do use "--no-sandbox", it's unstable and not secure (according to the warning message).

That's why I don't want to run it as root.

fredx181

#283 Post by fredx181 »

@Ether You can run chromium from root login "as" puppy by running the chrome-puppy.sh script.
(then it does not run as root)

Fred

Ether

#284 Post by Ether »

fredx181 wrote:@Ether You can run chromium from root login "as" puppy by running the chrome-puppy.sh script.

Fred
OK, I will try that again when/if I get this root/puppy issue fixed.

Ether

#285 Post by Ether »

Ether wrote:
fredx181 wrote:@Ether You can run chromium from root login "as" puppy by running the chrome-puppy.sh script.

Fred

I got Chromium running with puppy login (by booting without my "changes" folder) but now Google Maps Street View does not click&drag properly. Maybe running without sandbox is what made it run so fast. Oh well.

This corruption of the changes folder is annoying and has tripped me up on every puppy/dog I've ever used for more than a week or two. What is the latest consensus among experienced users concerning the best way to install programs and save setup configurations and login info? Remaster CoW into separate sfs files? save folders? save files? What are the pros and cons of each method?

fredx181

#286 Post by fredx181 »

Ether wrote:I got Chromium running with puppy login (by booting without my "changes" folder) but now Google Maps Street View does not click&drag properly. Maybe running without sandbox is what made it run so fast. Oh well.
Since you started fresh, you may want to check for what's installed or not, e.g. libgl1-mesa-dri
This corruption of the changes folder is annoying and has tripped me up on every puppy/dog I've ever used for more than a week or two.
I always use savefolder on an ext4 filesystem and never have a problem, creating backup and restore may lead to problems. Don't use a file-manager for that, but use "cp" (or rsync) from terminal e.g.

cp -a changes changes-back
And don't copy changes folder to a NTFS or FAT filesystem, always use Linux filesystem such as ext3 or ext4 (specially when copying to NTFS (and restore back) you get permission issues like you had)

Fred

Ether

#287 Post by Ether »

fredx181 wrote: And don't copy changes folder to a NTFS or FAT filesystem, always use Linux filesystem such as ext3 or ext4 (specially when copying to NTFS (and restore back) you get permission issues like you had)

Fred
That very well could have been what happened.

My ext partition on this disk is a bit small. I have a much larger NTFS partition with a lot of free space so I was using that (drag&drop) to save versions of "changes" folders. I may have restored one of those saved folders at some point.

I wish there was a single document somewhere that contained all this wisdom in one place so I could print it out and read it all. That's not a complaint, just a wish. I absolutely would print it and study it.

I noticed the other day that there's an "apt2sfs" app in StretchDog32. How does that differ (other than convenience) from installing a desired app using Synaptic and then running "create model from changes" ?

Also, what do I need to edit in order to bypass the "do you want to save changes?" prompt (when shutting down or restarting). I'd prefer that the only way to save changes would be to manually execute a command before shutting down. That would help protect the integrity of my changes folder, because I would save changes only if I have a recent backup.

fredx181

#288 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Ether,
I noticed the other day that there's an "apt2sfs" app in StretchDog32. How does that differ (other than convenience) from installing a desired app using Synaptic and then running "create model from changes" ?
Apt2sfs can create a module for just one specific application, but 'create module from changes', it includes all changes you made including settings, personal files, etc....
Also, what do I need to edit in order to bypass the "do you want to save changes?" prompt (when shutting down or restarting). I'd prefer that the only way to save changes would be to manually execute a command before shutting down. That would help protect the integrity of my changes folder, because I would save changes only if I have a recent backup.
For to save the session manually, run "save2flash" from terminal.
Or create a symlink on the Desktop, and just click on it:

ln -s /usr/bin/save2flash ~/Desktop/save2flash
To reboot or poweroff without prompt for save or not, run this:

touch /mnt/live/tmp/changesx; reboot # or poweroff to shutdown instead reboot
Or make a script for it that you can just click on:

#!/bin/bash
touch /mnt/live/tmp/changesx; reboot
Save as (for example) 'reboot-noprompt' and make executable:

chmod +x reboot-noprompt
Fred

enrique

#289 Post by enrique »

fredx181

I am trying to locate the kernel sources for the make live kernel:
https://github.com/DebianDog/MakeLive/b ... pae.tar.gz

DEVX shows about 40MiB
/boot/config-4.9.0-12-686-pae Inside it reads ==> Linux/x86 4.9.210 Kernel Configuration
/lib/modules/4.9.0-12-686-pae
/usr/src/linux-headers-4.9.0-5-686-pae/Makefile shows VERSION = 2 PATCHLEVEL = 6
/usr/src/linux-headers-4.9.0-5-common/Makefile shows VERSION = 4 PATCHLEVEL = 9 SUBLEVEL = 65

Can you help me? Please do not put lot of effort in this as I can always use mainland sources. Now the problem is what should I download :
linux-4.9.210.tar.xz
or
linux-4.9.12.tar.xz
or
linux-4.9.65.tar.xz

I never put attention on this reverse issue.

Thanks ahead.

Edit:
As you see sources inside devx are: 4.9.0-5. Plus the size the sources is about 40MB? weird as it is usually in the 100MB.

I guess I was wrong the 100MB is with Full source .h + .c etc.
40MB is for the Headers Only, and not even that only include area.

I guess until further explanation I should stick with what DEVX has even when the versions do not add up.

fredx181

#290 Post by fredx181 »

enrique wrote:I am trying to locate the kernel sources for the make live kernel:
https://github.com/DebianDog/MakeLive/b ... pae.tar.gz
/boot/config-4.9.0-12-686-pae Inside it reads ==> Linux/x86 4.9.210 Kernel Configuration
Hi enrique, the linux-headers version in the DEVX is behind, so for kernel 4.9.0-12-686-pae (kernel-stretch-i386-pae.tar.gz) you should install linux-headers-4.9.0-12-686-pae
Now the problem is what should I download :
linux-4.9.210.tar.xz
or
linux-4.9.12.tar.xz
or
linux-4.9.65.tar.xz
I'd choose just 4.9 (I always use it to compile single squashfs.ko kernel module to add support for LZ4, and works fine)
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/releases/tag/v4.9

Fred

enrique

#291 Post by enrique »

I did try to build gfrlx in 4.5.1. And it did build without requiring any changes. This is why I will like to see if it builds in 4.9 with is your default kernel version for stretcth. Maybe my last patch on PIC issues did the trick.

I been playing with kernels for long times as I has been a long time partial user of Linux. But I only been full time for the last 4 month. But this is all confuse with hidden or knew stuff every time. So it is like been a newbie for ever.

I always download from kernel.org mirrors. Now I see this is the second time you pointed me to https://github.com/torvalds/linux/releases. Just in case you do not know. Torvalds gits is a live system, it keeps getting changes all the time. I can see last commits is on Feb 25, 2020. So my point is that the kernel source that you use when you build your original kernel may not be the same as the current one. So we may have then new issues.

In the other hand, THANKS for remind it to me. UHHH! This opens my mind to other Ideas/Questions:

I then wonder if it will be easier to manually patch from Torvalds as I can suspect others has put commits to resolve some of the current issues of building old Kernels on Current Distributions with newer gcc version.

Now that you show me this. I recalled reading that maybe the last number in version is ignore by modules revision check. So I this is right it will be easier to grab last updated Like for 4.9 in kernel or will be
linux-4.9.209.tar.xz 12-Jan-2020 10:32 89M

Then I see I need to learn about all those patches in the kernel.org directory too. Now that I am giving this a thought I need to read on kernel build!! Maybe I been working to hard on module gflrx patches that may not be required.

Do you know anything about this?

Thanks. You guys are the best. I keep learning so much from all of you.

fredx181

#292 Post by fredx181 »

enrique wrote:I always download from kernel.org mirrors. Now I see this is the second time you pointed me to https://github.com/torvalds/linux/releases. Just in case you do not know. Torvalds gits is a live system, it keeps getting changes all the time. I can see last commits is on Feb 25, 2020. So my point is that the kernel source that you use when you build your original kernel may not be the same as the current one. So we may have then new issues.

I'm almost sure that https://github.com/torvalds/linux/releases/tag/v4.9 is an archived release, not being updated (I checked, and all files inside tar.gz are from 11 dec 2016)
Btw, for clarity, I didn't build any kernel (just modified from Debian stock kernel by adding aufs and replacing squashfs kernel modules)
Now that you show me this. I recalled reading that maybe the last number in version is ignore by modules revision check. So I this is right it will be easier to grab last updated Like for 4.9 in kernel or will be
linux-4.9.209.tar.xz 12-Jan-2020 10:32 89M

I don't really know, I guess so that 4.9.209 is updated version of 4.9.

P.S. in case you didn't notice, your thread "How to do Opencl programming with AMD CPU?" has been moved to the Programming section

Fred

enrique

#293 Post by enrique »

I thought I got another thread deleted. I will answer there.

dancytron

#294 Post by dancytron »

Ether wrote:
Ether wrote:

Fred

I got Chromium running with puppy login (by booting without my "changes" folder) but now Google Maps Street View does not click&drag properly. Maybe running without sandbox is what made it run so fast. Oh well.

This corruption of the changes folder is annoying and has tripped me up on every puppy/dog I've ever used for more than a week or two. What is the latest consensus among experienced users concerning the best way to install programs and save setup configurations and login info? Remaster CoW into separate sfs files? save folders? save files? What are the pros and cons of each method?

I don't know if there is a consensus, but what I do is have the browser as either a portable version (firefox, vivaldi etc) or just linked out to /live/image (chrome). I also have some other stuff linked out.

Then I use Bleachbit and a script I wrote to delete all the trash and do a "quick remaster" every couple of weeks, so that all that is in my save folder is at most a few week's worth of changes.

I put my important personal documents in a folder off the desktop so they get put into the remaster. I have the Quick Remaster create an ISO, and that's my software (minus the portables and linked stuff) and important documents backup.

Ether

#295 Post by Ether »

dancytron wrote:... or just linked out to /live/image (chrome).
I think I know what this means (see footnote), but I don't know how to do it.

Do you have time to explain, or maybe point me to an existing explanation?

Thank you.

footnote: here's my understanding of "linked out" (please correct me if this is wrong). When I install, say, chromium, and let it get "saved", then it is "in the system". to "link it out" means (I think) to move it to a location that is not "in the system", and then replace it with a link (hard? symbolic?) "in the system". I don't know how to do any of those steps. I'm not even sure I used the correct terminology.

dancytron

#296 Post by dancytron »

Ether wrote:
dancytron wrote:... or just linked out to /live/image (chrome).
I think I know what this means (see footnote), but I don't know how to do it.

Do you have time to explain, or maybe point me to an existing explanation?

Thank you.

footnote: here's my understanding of "linked out" (please correct me if this is wrong). When I install, say, chromium, and let it get "saved", then it is "in the system". to "link it out" means (I think) to move it to a location that is not "in the system", and then replace it with a link (hard? symbolic?) "in the system". I don't know how to do any of those steps. I'm not even sure I used the correct terminology.
That's correct.

Just move from the /opt folder to /live/image.

Then I just select it pcmanfm then EDIT-CREATE LINK- and put the link back into opt.

Then I so a save2flash right away (not sure if that is necessary).

ras

apt2sfs full install

#297 Post by ras »

Hi Fredx181 and others,

Looking at the apt2sfs utility I see an apt2sfs full install version. I assume this is for use if you have a fully installed stretch rather than a frugal install?

Coming from puppy, I have been happy with frugal installs, but since this is a dog...

Is there an advantage or reason to reconsider using full installs with dogs?

thanks
RAS

enrique

#298 Post by enrique »

I am sorry here I am again. This time I am looking for the 32bit compatibility squash for the AMD64. Or the other name architecture-i386. I tried to make one but I always end up with "E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages."

dpkg --add-architecture i386
apt-get update
apt-get install libstdc++6:i386 libgcc1:i386 zlib1g:i386 libncurses5:i386 libc6:i386 glib-2.0:i386
The package if available will be nice or can you tell me What I am missing?

Thanks in advance

Ether

#299 Post by Ether »

dancytron wrote:Just move from the /opt folder to /live/image.
Booted to BusterDog64, I just did this:

apt-get update
apt-get install xcas
... and the install was successful.

Then I listed the contents of the /opt folder:

root@live:/opt# ls -laR
.:
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  6 root root  60 Mar  7 17:41 .
drwxrwxrwx 43 root root 320 Mar  7 17:41 ..
drwxr-xr-x  5 root root  71 Jul  8  2019 apps
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root   3 Nov 17  2018 bin
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root  32 Oct 26  2017 conf
drwxr-xr-x  4 root root 156 Oct 25 17:15 docs

./apps:
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root  71 Jul  8  2019 .
drwxr-xr-x 6 root root  60 Mar  7 17:41 ..
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 118 Nov 17  2018 make-deb-package
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 103 Nov 17  2018 scrotdlg
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 192 Jul  8  2019 syslinux

./apps/make-deb-package:
total 9
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root  118 Nov 17  2018 .
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root   71 Jul  8  2019 ..
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  632 May 16  2014 AppInfo.xml
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  578 May 18  2014 AppRun
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root   30 Nov 17  2018 data
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   33 Dec  1  2015 .DirIcon -> /usr/share/pixmaps/makedebpkg.png
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root   98 Nov 17  2018 locals
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 7160 Nov 26  2014 make-deb-package-bin

./apps/make-deb-package/data:
total 1
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  30 Nov 17  2018 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 118 Nov 17  2018 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  19 May 16  2014 version

./apps/make-deb-package/locals:
total 5
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root   98 Nov 17  2018 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root  118 Nov 17  2018 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2315 May 18  2014 de_DE:german
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   12 Dec  1  2015 de_DE.UTF-8:german -> de_DE:german
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   56 Dec  1  2015 .DirIcon -> /usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/ROX/MIME/message-x-generic.png
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2150 May 16  2014 en_US:english

./apps/scrotdlg:
total 34
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root   103 Nov 17  2018 .
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root    71 Jul  8  2019 ..
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   230 Jan  8  2014 Makefile
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 15696 Sep  1  2017 scrotdlg
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  6383 Jan  8  2014 scrotdlg.c
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  9685 Jan  8  2014 scrot-howto.txt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  1630 Jan  8  2014 tmp.txt

./apps/syslinux:
total 415
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root    192 Jul  8  2019 .
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root     71 Jul  8  2019 ..
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root     72 Jul  8  2019 extlinux
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   1744 May  2  2014 extlinuxinst
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 179000 Oct 17  2014 lilo
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root    440 Oct  2  2009 mbr.bin
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  52376 Apr 30  2014 splash.png
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  27248 Nov 30  2015 syslinux
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  12695 Feb 14  2009 syslinux.bin
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   1340 Nov 30  2015 syslinux.cfg
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   2254 Nov 30  2015 syslinuxinst
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 145800 Feb 14  2009 vesamenu.c32

./apps/syslinux/extlinux:
total 209
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root     72 Jul  8  2019 .
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root    192 Jul  8  2019 ..
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  55176 Dec 10  2012 extlinux
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   1566 Nov 30  2015 extlinux.conf
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 155792 Dec 10  2012 vesamenu.c32

./bin:
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  3 Nov 17  2018 .
drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 60 Mar  7 17:41 ..

./conf:
total 1
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  32 Oct 26  2017 .
drwxr-xr-x 6 root root  60 Mar  7 17:41 ..
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 545 Oct 26  2017 .asoundrc

./docs:
total 94
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root   156 Oct 25 17:15 .
drwxr-xr-x 6 root root    60 Mar  7 17:41 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 53933 Mar 18  2016 2.jpg
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 24048 Mar 18  2016 gtkrc-bg
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root   352 Nov 17  2018 jwm-themes
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root   542 Jul  8  2019 pictures
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  7448 Aug 21  2015 portablesfs-chroot.template
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  8459 Dec  9  2016 portablesfs.template
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  1231 Oct 22 11:55 welcome

./docs/jwm-themes:
total 70
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  352 Nov 17  2018 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root  156 Oct 25 17:15 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5155 Jan  4  2015 jwm.tail-blood_red
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5177 Jan  4  2015 jwm.tail-blue_jay
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5213 Jan  4  2015 jwm.tail-calm_blue
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5992 Jan  4  2015 jwm.tail-cb88
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5217 Jan  4  2015 jwm.tail-dark_tree
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5021 Jan  4  2015 jwm.tail-deep_t2-1
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5567 Sep  2  2017 jwm.tail-default
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5260 Jan  4  2015 jwm.tail-easy_violet
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5057 Jan  4  2015 jwm.tail-grape
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4876 Jan  4  2015 jwm.tail-light_looks9x_gold
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5055 Jan  4  2015 jwm.tail-state
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5440 Jan  4  2015 jwm.tail-vista_green
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5217 Jan  4  2015 jwm.tail-white_green

./docs/pictures:
total 3162
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root    542 Jul  8  2019 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root    156 Oct 25 17:15 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 138960 Apr 16  2016 05.jpg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 450397 Jul 16  2014 12.jpg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 107727 Nov 17  2018 935959-top-debian-wallpaper-1920x1080-screen.jpg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 116835 Nov 17  2018 936030-debian-wallpaper-1920x1200-mac.jpg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 315657 Nov 17  2018 936105-debian-wallpaper-1920x1200-for-tablet.jpg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 577895 Nov  6  2016 debian_9___stretch_by_takaju-d86qtn2.png
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 139832 Apr 23  2017 debian_blue_with_white_logo_1920_1080_png_by_ivanmladenovi-d5n4w3l.png
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  79862 Apr 23  2017 debian_logo_texture_2_by_satyriko-d4fwufa.jpg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 143483 Dec 24  2013 desktop.jpg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 602201 May  7  2019 Devuandog3.png
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 117800 Jan  6  2017 fisherman.jpg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 175078 Apr 17  2016 Forever-Shady-S_1024x678.jpg
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 268772 Nov  6  2016 sky_blue_jessie_wallpapper_alt_1920x1080_1600x900.jpg
What am I supposed to move from that /opt folder ?

dancytron

#300 Post by dancytron »

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Some big applications that run mostly independently of the main system, get put into /opt.

Most browsers, google earth, thunderbird, etc.

Those are the things that you can link out to /live/image.

Regular linux programs that get integrated into the linux system get their files scattered more or less everywhere. You could link them out as individual files, but it would be a nightmare and not worth it.